• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the brackets, the only region that's remotely sane is the East.

And even there you have Stone Cold Steven F Austin

(ok, the South is also pretty straightforward, given that Cal had their injury problem and Wichita is not really an 11 seed)

Kevtones

Pac 12 and Big 12 are basically equally disappointing so far. WVU and Baylor going one and done is embarrassing.

I give the Pac12 a little slack given that:

- Cal lost 2/3 of its best players this week (their front court)
- Oregon State lost it's 2nd best player
- USC lost on a last second shot after missing a bunch of FTs that could've iced it

Still, the performance outside of Oregon hasn't been great. Utah wasn't that impressive versus Fresno (who was a smidge underrated).

Pineapple

So ESPN has done an outstanding job of making itself completely irrelevant.

I was sitting in the drive thru this morning waiting for a cup of coffee, and loaded up Twitter to check in on some news. I saw a CNN tweet that Northern Illinois made a historic half court buzzer beater shot to move on, so naturally, I wanted to see it. I opened up my browser and made my way over to ESPN.com.

I had to scroll a bit to find it, but finally came across the video "UNI Buzzer Beater". I hit play, and after a few seconds, a 30 second ad for Scottrade opened up. Fine, no problem. After the ad, the video starts with two analysts sitting at a desk discussing the game. I waited for them to cut to footage...and waited....and waited...nothing. I skipped ahead in the video, nothing. 4 minutes of two analysts talking about the game without showing any footage.

So, I went back to the main page, searched around for an actual video of the shot, but didn't find anything. Went back to Twitter, searched "UNI", and was immediately presented with thousands of tweets mentioning the game and, specifically, the buzzer beater. And, conveninetly enough, the second tweet I viewed had the video of the last 20 seconds of the game. HD, great sound, zero ads.

It's no surprise that ESPN is bleeding subscribers.

So ESPN has done an outstanding job of making itself completely irrelevant.

I was sitting in the drive thru this morning waiting for a cup of coffee, and loaded up Twitter to check in on some news. I saw a CNN tweet that Northern Illinois made a historic half court buzzer beater shot to move on, so naturally, I wanted to see it. I opened up my browser and made my way over to ESPN.com.

I had to scroll a bit to find it, but finally came across the video "UNI Buzzer Beater". I hit play, and after a few seconds, a 30 second ad for Scottrade opened up. Fine, no problem. After the ad, the video starts with two analysts sitting at a desk discussing the game. I waited for them to cut to footage...and waited....and waited...nothing. I skipped ahead in the video, nothing. 4 minutes of two analysts talking about the game without showing any footage.

So, I went back to the main page, searched around for an actual video of the shot, but didn't find anything. Went back to Twitter, searched "UNI", and was immediately presented with thousands of tweets mentioning the game and, specifically, the buzzer beater. And, conveninetly enough, the second tweet I viewed had the video of the last 20 seconds of the game. HD, great sound, zero ads.

It's no surprise that ESPN is bleeding subscribers.
That has to do with media rights I believe. The Twitter stuff is obviously illegal but too small to matter.

Yeah ESPN isn't showing any of the game because they can't show any of the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Turner-CBS exclusive rights deal includes a moratorium that prevents anyone else (i.e. ESPN) from showing any content from any game in the tourney for a certain amount of time after the game ends

Pineapple

Yeah ESPN isn't showing any of the game because they can't show any of the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Turner-CBS exclusive rights deal includes a moratorium that prevents anyone else (i.e. ESPN) from showing any content from any game in the tourney for a certain amount of time after the game ends

ESPN has a ton of other footage from yesterday's games on their site, though.

Cal will be only my second loss in my office pool, and with upset scoring, I've got a 25 point lead on second place. 15 points cover 2-17.
So my "all 5, 6, 7, 8 seeds lose" strategy was running strong until last night when I got overtaken by a guy that picked all but one of the 2's and all of the 3s to lose. Fortunately his FF is Maryland, Syracuse, Northern Iowa, and Michigan with Syr and Mic in the championship. My FF is all high seeds who are still alive and have 7 of my elite eight and 12 of my sweet sixteen still alive.

The expected value of my strategy was 124.6 points after the first round, and I ended up with 153, so I can't complain.

HiResDes

Well my bracket is done, had Michigan state in the Final Four, can't believe it's this early and I can say my whole bracket is fucked already.

Wichita State is only down 13 playing horribly. Miami should be up 25

Edit
Yep saw this coming. Once Wichita State actually played, they cut the lead. Miami better watch out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom