• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordson

Bing with the LOL of the day

c0fWBdz.png

Indiana is #7 in the country in adjusted offense per Kenpom

Chattanooga is #149
Man this would be great. I don't want to play Indiana.

chris121580

Bing with the LOL of the day

c0fWBdz.png

Indiana is #7 in the country in adjusted offense per Kenpom

Chattanooga is #149

I'm still nervous about it. Everyone seems to be overlooking Chattanooga. Let's just hope the team isn't. Can't see Yogi allowing that but stranger things have happened. I continue to refuse to talk to anyone about the possibilities of the next round until we take care of business with Chattanooga first. Also, is it true that Stony Brook isn't really a slouch and could give UK troubles?

A generation ago, the region names meant something the entire time. If you were in the west region, you played all your games out there (in two sectionals of 8 teams). It wasn't entirely necessary for the sectionals to be uniformly composed, of course, because two games in a weekend means you only need 4 teams clumped together, not 8, and certainly not 16. So they switched to the present format that allows top teams to potentially play closer to home* in the first two rounds before going off to the regionals.

A few years ago, they even had the genius idea of getting rid of the directional names altogether, and would use the city as the region's name. That went over so well that they switched back.

-----------
*Seeds 1-4 get preferential placement, but higher seeds take priority. If Duke, North Carolina, and Virginia are all seeded highly and there happens to be games in the Carolina/Virginia area, then only 2 would get to stay in the area (2 clumps of 4 teams), and the third would get shipped out.

Bowser

ESPN Insider: Tournament Truths: Numbers to know for all 68 tourney teams

2. North Carolina

Number to know: 1,279

During ACC regular-season play, the Tar Heels' defense allowed 1,279 points over the course of 1,276 possessions. Holding opponents to almost precisely one point per trip is a marker of very good, and I might even say Virginia-level, defense. Somehow, there arose a belief this season that UNC was inconsistent on defense or that the unit's good showing in the ACC tournament was the result of a marked improvement. The numbers suggest otherwise: UNC's defense is excellent, and it has been that way for a long while.

Fjordson

That reminds me of Kentucky being the top offense on KenPom. Seems crazy to me when it feels like such a struggle for them to score in some games.

linko9

Having issues streaming this online. Game hitches every minute or so, erratic changes in quality, etc. I have fast internet, never have problems with ESPN or other streaming stuff. Anyone else running into issues, or is it something on my end? I don't remember having these problems in previous years. Going to be a real bummer if this continues.

Proelite

if FGCU still does that dunk city shit we might hang 150 on them lmao.

Oh boy. I would love me some schadenfreude if FGCU gives UNC fans a little scare. Aint asking for much, just a small lead for a while in the second half. ;)

Cuz you know UNC-W going to eek one out on us.

RoKKeR

First tournament* game as a Vandy fan. Go Dores.

First half edit: This fucking game... nearly 30 total fouls called. And among those fouls, there has been some serious, SERIOUS bullshit calls for BOTH sides. Absolutely disgusting to watch, it's all but a FT contest.

Let the boys play a damn physical tournament basketball game JFC.

/rant

nillapuddin

Just saw this on Reddit

"For Holy Cross to finish with a +.500 record they must win the National Championship"

Wow didnt realize that

Overall 14-19
Conf 5-13

RoKKeR

Glad our guys didn't want to get to the next round at all. Glad our future NBA* players are really showing up when it matters most.

This team...

Edit: Hold on, our bench guys DO want to win!? What a shock!

RoKKeR

Man, embarrassing.

Oh well, we didn't deserve to make the tournament. Our guys have almost zero heart. Our *NBA* players vanished today, and our coach continues to fail to utilize a talented team.

Thank god that season is over.

It greatly annoys me that teams like USF and FGCU have been more relevant on the basketball stage than UCF the last number of years. Soooo looking forward to our next coach and becoming competitive in the AAC and potentially earning NCAA bids again.

It greatly annoys me that teams like USF and FGCU have been more relevant on the basketball stage than UCF the last number of years. Soooo looking forward to our next coach and becoming competitive in the AAC and potentially earning NCAA bids again.

That reminds me, when are you going to pick a real school to pull for?

t-ramp

lol They haven’t won an NCAA Tournament game since 1997

Choke artists

Also, the game will be played in Des Moines, almost a home game for Iowa, another huge advantage
Uh, Iowa doesn't play in Des Moines.

Anyway, I picked Michigan State to win. Then again, since I've only paid attention to the Big 10 and 12 this year, my Final Four games are matchups within those conferences. My bracket might end up being terrible.

Having issue with two picks.

1. Seton Hall vs. Gonzaga. Have Seton Hall winning and going to the Sweet 16, but doubting that highly.

2. Heavily considering picking Wisconsin over Xavier in the second round. Should I do it?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

1. Seton Hall vs. Gonzaga. Have Seton Hall winning and going to the Sweet 16, but doubting that highly.

2. Heavily considering picking Wisconsin over Xavier in the second round. Should I do it?

I've got the Zags winning 2 and Wisconsin winning 3.

KevinG

UNC, Michigan State, or Kansas.

I'm a UNC fan. They've had a few rough games this season, but they've been playing solid ball over the past few weeks. If they can keep that standard of play, they'll take the whole thing.

Seton Hall is really good and they are playing their best ball of the year, coming off consecutive wins over #2 seeds (Xavier and Villanova).

Come tournament time, I always favor the team with the better back court. Isaiah Whitehead is really good, averaging 25 pts, 5.5 assists and 5.5 boards over his last 7 games. Whitehead is a big time player and I think he's the difference maker against the Zags.

Jabari's putting up 21/6/2 on 51% shooting post all star break.

I still for the life of me can't figure out how we lost to Mercer.

He wasn't even on the court down the stretch against Mercer.

K trusted his defense that little.

I don't know if that's a less embarrassing loss than 2012 when Austin Rivers was the only Duke player on the court who gave a damn, or this year will be after the entire team fouls out or falls over dead against Party School USA

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm still nervous about it. Everyone seems to be overlooking Chattanooga. Let's just hope the team isn't. Can't see Yogi allowing that but stranger things have happened. I continue to refuse to talk to anyone about the possibilities of the next round until we take care of business with Chattanooga first. Also, is it true that Stony Brook isn't really a slouch and could give UK troubles?

We beat Chattanooga by 20. I think IU will do fine against them.

Kaibutsu

Responding to something from Afrocious, as a fellow UNC grad (Class of 2001), have faith in your team! While they have been up and down a lot of the season and haven't been able to shoot worth a damn they still look like the best team in the country when they are clicking :)

Kaibutsu

Y'all do realize that at some point in six games, Carolina might have to make a 3.

So basically it's a second round exit for those guys.

If they play defense like they did in the ACC championship game they won't have to make many threes, Especially if they have like 50 points in the paint :)

spyder_ur

I can't believe both Ron Baker and Van Vleet are still in school. What a fantastic college career those two have had at Wichita St.

At the top of the most recent Bill Simmons podcast, Chuck Klosterman describes Grayson Allen as if JJ Redick and Hope Solo had a child that was adopted by Montgomery Burns. (And this is part of the reason he likes him.)

Young Scrappy, everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom