• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewLib

Banned
Welcome ACC to the Club of Shitty BCS Conferences. The SEC and Pac-10 have been holding a beach chair open just for you.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Bowser said:
God I don't think I can handle another year like last :(
Larry Drew man.

I'm thinking of calling the NCAA and telling them that I saw him talking to Drew Rosenhaus and Don King. If you call too there's no way that he'll be able to keep playing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:
Chill out. Last year's team started out strong and collapsed. This year is more like 2005-2006.

You should find some consolation that the problem is not with the players, but is with the coach. Roy is not looking good at adopting new strategies to fit his personnel, but I am pretty sure he will figure it out in time and make the NCAAs.

Well maybe he will and maybe he won't. All coaches have their tendencies and having players that suit those tendencies certainly boosts their success. Roy loves having a fairly fast, athletic team that can run the break from clearing out defensive rebounds. He loves running his half court through the post, which he's done successfully with May, Hansbrough, Lafrenz, Ostertag and Hollison. Zeller is a good offensive big man, but he's too soft to run the O through him, same with Deon last year. Roy's guards are too out of control to run any sort of fast break and would do better with a traditional half offense. If Barnes could live up to his potential he is supposed to have a good jumpshot. He needs to run screens to ISO Barnes, Bullock, maybe Marshall or McDonald if they're decent shooters and have Henson, Knox and Zeller crash the boards to either cherry pick the misses or kick them back out and start over. Thats the only way his current personnel is going to work. Huckleberry is not the greatest X-O coach and hasn't shown a willingness to adapt before. He really doesn't have a choice here but he's also known for being impossibly stubborn.

DJ_Tet

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Larry Drew man.

I'm thinking of calling the NCAA and telling them that I saw him talking to Drew Rosenhaus and Don King. If you call too there's no way that he'll be able to keep playing.

Roy had the whole NCAA investigative staff on campus for what, a month? You're telling me that tutor couldn't have written a paper for Larry too? Poor foresight, Roy.

What a joke that UNC is still ranked, they looked like shit in both of their games vs decent opponents. Theyre on 25 because their jerseys say UNC on them. Oh well, we jumped KSU and up to number 3!

jakncoke

Banned
Brian Fellows said:
UCONN and Wichita State are in a good battle right now.

Indeed.

Code:
1	Duke (58)	3-0	1,616
2	Michigan State (6)	2-0	1,547
3	Ohio State	3-0	1,437
4	Kansas State (1)	3-0	1,423
5	Pittsburgh	5-0	1,388 
6	Kansas	3-0	1,263
7	Villanova	4-0	1,260
8	Kentucky	2-0	1,063
9	Syracuse	4-0	972
10	Purdue	3-0	905
11	Missouri	2-0	862
12	Baylor	3-0	757
13	Washington	2-0	735
14	Memphis	4-0	707
15	Minnesota	5-0	608
16	Florida	3-1	589
16	Georgetown	5-0	589
18	San Diego State	4-0	567
19	Illinois	4-1	460
20	Texas	3-1	424
21	Temple	2-0	362
22	Gonzaga	2-1	355
23	Brigham Young	3-0	347
24	Tennessee	3-0	164
25	North Carolina	2-2	124
Others receiving votes: Virginia Tech 109, West Virginia 99, Butler 96, Louisville 76, UNLV 66, Florida State 36, Vanderbilt 31, Georgia 28, Wichita State 16, UCLA 10, Connecticut 8, Arizona 5, Wisconsin 5, Richmond 5, Saint Mary's 4, Mississippi State 3, Iowa State 1, California 1, Virginia Military 1, Xavier 1

We gained 63 pts :)

Edit: So UCONN season success depends on how much Kemba beasts or do they have some other people to go along?

Edit: Perhaps I'm dumb but I never knew that there was different levels of technical foul. I always thought once you were T'd it auto counted towards your foul total.. apparently not.

bucknuticus said:
What a joke that UNC is still ranked, they looked like shit in both of their games vs decent opponents. Theyre on 25 because their jerseys say UNC on them. Oh well, we jumped KSU and up to number 3!

pollsters drinking the Carolina Blue kool-aid

SyNapSe

Why is that charging on Marquette? Vitale played it up but that was literally right underneath the basket. Was that Singler back on D? Whoever, was certainly well within the imaginary circle added last year, no?

Proelite

Nice pass Singler. That was a pass right?

MFW Nolan and Singler airballs.

If Plumlee plays like this every night then Duke is your 2011 National Champions.

SyNapSe

jakncoke said:
What a awful thought that'd be

They should handily be the favorites. They won last year and I think most people would argue this year is *down* from last season. Duke will probably end up better too. Still tons of experience and Scheyer face is replaced by Curry/Irving + more experience for the bigs.

It's pretty rare in the modern era of College BBall to get experience back off of a top team. Look how it resulted for Florida (repeated), Kansas (lost Julian Wright but Rush coming back was a surprise), or UNC (Ty Lawson drunk return was a surprise. Even T could have gone). It's pretty clear over the last few seasons, that if you have top talent and for whatever reason, good or bad, you can get them to return, you'll be very strong.

I think it's why people focus so much on incoming freshmen because most years there aren't that many game changing upper classmen.

SyNapSe said:
They should handily be the favorites. They won last year and I think most people would argue this year is *down* from last season. Duke will probably end up better too. Still tons of experience and Scheyer face is replaced by Curry/Irving + more experience for the bigs.

It's pretty rare in the modern era of College BBall to get experience back off of a top team. Look how it resulted for Florida (repeated), Kansas (lost Julian Wright but Rush coming back was a surprise), or UNC (Ty Lawson drunk return was a surprise. Even T could have gone). It's pretty clear over the last few seasons, that if you have top talent and for whatever reason, good or bad, you can get them to return, you'll be very strong.

I think it's why people focus so much on incoming freshmen because most years there aren't that many game changing upper classmen.

This is why im starting to dislike NCAA, its hard for me to really get excited about the freshman. Sure im glad they came, but when you have those juniors and seniors you feel like you almost have a bond with them, not literally but you know what I mean. I wish they would change the early entry rule to the NBA. It should be you can go to the NBA right out of HS but if you go to college you have to stay at least 2 or 3 years.

jakncoke

Banned
bucknuticus said:
This is why im starting to dislike NCAA, its hard for me to really get excited about the freshman. Sure im glad they came, but when you have those juniors and seniors you feel like you almost have a bond with them, not literally but you know what I mean. I wish they would change the early entry rule to the NBA. It should be you can go to the NBA right out of HS but if you go to college you have to stay at least 2 or 3 years.

Yeah I get that. Always felt a bit a downer when the final moments of senior tick away knowing I wont be able to watch them play again.

SyNapSe

truly101 said:
Wasn't Tony Woods going to transfer to Baylor? or was that Louisville?

He went to Lolsville but hey, who better to help a morally challenged kid to nagivate the rigors of life than Rick "I fucked some bitch in a restaurant" Pitino.

.. and I like Pitino but damn man, maybe, it's time to grab some kids on the straight and narrow and not some 7' motherfucker who broke his girlfriends spine by pushing her down.

LegoDad

SyNapSe said:
Spradling with some good play early. Kstate defense not up to their normal level at this point of the year.

Yep, I don't understand what happened to the defense, look lazy.

Proelite

caliblue15 said:
So Kansas State vs Duke. Top 5 battle going to be crazy!!

OMG so excited to see the Blue Devils in action against a worthy opponent tomorrow, not that Marquette wasn't worthy, but they aren't in the same caste level.

jakncoke

Banned
Random: Looks like Southern reclaimed it's spot as worst team on kenpom ranking thing. Centenary had it, funny kenpom thing gives 37% chance of Centenary going winless

Seth C

bigtroyjon said:
Wish he would have stuck with his initial choice :(

Should be a great game tomorrow assuming we don't choke in this game.

I expect Washington is going to beat our asses pretty good.

GREAT night of early season college hoops tonight.

1 Duke vs. 4 K State
2 Mich. State vs. UConn
9 Kentucky vs. 11 Washington
19 Illinois vs. Yale WOOT

SyNapSe said:
He went to Lolsville but hey, who better to help a morally challenged kid to nagivate the rigors of life than Rick "I fucked some bitch in a restaurant" Pitino.

.. and I like Pitino but damn man, maybe, it's time to grab some kids on the straight and narrow and not some 7' motherfucker who broke his girlfriends spine by pushing her down.
He's trying to xfer here but Rick hasn't said yes or no, the situations around Woods "beating" his girl are a little abnormal, as everyone involved has come forward to clear his name, even her parents. This isn't a wife beater type thing, he had their newborn infant in his hands and she was swinging at his face, he pushed her out of the way to get into the apartment and locked her out. Unfortunately for all involved she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.

With that said I don't think we should waste a scholly on him.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Outdoor Miner said:
GREAT night of early season college hoops tonight.

1 Duke vs. 4 K State
2 Mich. State vs. UConn
9 Kentucky vs. 11 Washington
19 Illinois vs. Yale WOOT

You play Yale and we play Harvard in a couple of weeks. The Ivy league is going down! At least they better. If we lose to Amaker again I'll kill myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom