• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

thefro

hVSgZ.png

Transition is the name of the game in the 2012-2013 NCAA basketball season. Most of the good players from last year either graduated or transitioned to the NBA. It's Missouri and Texas A&M's first year in the SEC. West Virginia's first year in the Big 12. Butler and VCU move to the Atlantic-10, while Temple is in its last year before going to the Big East. It's the last year of the great Big East conference as we know it before Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame move to the ACC. Memphis is leaving C-USA for the Big East, which will basically be the original Conference USA in 2013 plus some Catholic schools in the northeast. The B1G has transitioned from a football powerhouse to a basketball conference with terrible football. And the Pac 12 makes it's transition from Division II back to Division I this year.

The likely contenders

HZ35k.jpg

Your defending national champions.* Kentucky has been hit hard by the NCAA luxury tax and they were not able to outbid UCLA & NC State for several elite recruits. But they still should be pretty dang good with another stellar, albeit not ridiclous class. Check out Nerlens Noel' elite offensive skills

hiBLX.jpg

Indiana returns Best Zeller and the rest of the team that nearly got embarassed by VCU & can't play defense. If Tom Crean can pull himself away from recruiting 8th graders this team has a chance to be special.

Y9WHn.jpg

Quick Rick returns most of Louisville's Final Four team from last year since they weren't good enough to get drafted. And they could actually be healthy. Maybe at least for the Kentucky game?

IvcJU.jpg

Bill Self has Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey coming back alongside elite recruit Perry Ellis. Kansas's future would look really bright if the Big 12 was stable

jWfht.jpg

NC State choked in nearly every close game last year, but finally seemed to figure it out at the end of the year. They have nearly everyone coming back as well and a great recruiting class.

tgB6cl.jpg

Michigan brings most of their team back which includes various sons of star NBA players and they add 27-year old True Freshman Mitch McGary.

0402_large.jpg

Ohio State has Aaron Craft & Deshaun Thomas returning, and should have the state's attention once Urban Meyer finishes with his football coach's show in late November.

Unskewed Polls

USA Today Sports Information Directors' Poll
Rank School (first-place votes)
1 Indiana (21)
2 Louisville (5)
3 Kentucky (5)
4 Ohio State
5 Michigan
6 North Carolina State
7 Kansas
8 Duke
9 Syracuse
10 Florida
11 Arizona
12 North Carolina
13 UCLA
14 Michigan State
15 Creighton
16 Memphis
17 Missouri
18 Baylor
19 UNLV
20 San Diego State
21 Wisconsin
22 Gonzaga
23 Notre Dame
24 (tie) Florida State
24 (tie) Texas
Others receiving votes: Saint Louis (26-8) 58; Virginia Commonwealth (29-7) 40; Cincinnati (26-11) 33; Murray State (31-2) 30; Kansas State (22-11) 13; Saint Mary's (27-6) 11; New Mexico (28-7) 10; Tennessee (19-15) 10; Minnesota (23-15) 9; Pittsburgh (22-17) 9; Marquette (27-8) 8; Stanford (26-11) 7; Butler (22-15) 6; Oklahoma State (15-18) 6; Colorado State (20-12) 4; Middle Tennessee (27-7) 3; Drexel (29-7) 2; Georgia (15-17) 2; Miami (Fla.) (20-13) 2; St. Joseph's (20-14) 2; Marshall (21-14) 1.

AP Poll of Journalists soon to be laid off copying the Sports Information Director's poll

Record - Pts - Prv
1. Indiana (43) 27-9 - 1,592 - 16
2. Louisville (20) 30-10 - 1,568 - 17
3. Kentucky (2) 38-2 - 1,453 - 1
4. Ohio St. 31-8 - 1,292 - 7
5. Michigan 24-10 - 1,290 - 13
6. NC State 24-13 - 1,270 - NR
7. Kansas 32-7 - 1,210 - 6
8. Duke 27-7 - 1,094 - 8
9. Syracuse 34-3 - 1,062 - 2
10. Florida 26-11 - 936 - 25
11. North Carolina 32-6 - 904 - 4
12. Arizona 23-12 - 902 - NR
13. UCLA 19-14 - 840 - NR
14. Michigan St. 29-8 - 789 - 5
15. Missouri 30-5 - 664 - 3
16. Creighton 29-6 - 622 - 19
17. Memphis 26-9 - 539 - NR
18. UNLV 26-9 - 488 - 23
19. Baylor 30-8 - 486 - 9
20. San Diego St. 26-8 - 463 - 22
21. Gonzaga 26-7 - 384 - NR
22. Notre Dame 22-12 - 297 - NR
23. Wisconsin 26-10 - 285 - 14
24. Cincinnati 26-11 - 120 - NR
25. Florida St. 25-10 - 101 - 10
Others receiving votes: Murray St. 59, VCU 58, Saint Louis 46, Texas 46, Minnesota 40, Butler 33, Pittsburgh 32, Saint Joseph's 25, Marquette 23, Tennessee 15, Oklahoma St. 14, Kansas St. 12, Georgetown 9, New Mexico 9, Ohio 9, Miami 8, Saint Mary's (Cal) 6, West Virginia 6, Davidson 5, Drexel 5, N. Iowa 5, Valparaiso 3, Lehigh 2, Stanford 2, Colorado St. 1, Oral Roberts 1.

Non-Conference Games to Watch in November:

Syracuse vs. San Diego State (November 9)
Duke vs. Kentucky (November 13)
Michigan State vs. Kansas (November 13)
BYU vs. Florida State (November 16)
Minnesota vs. Duke (November 22)
Saint Mary’s vs. Drexel (November 22)
North Carolina at Indiana (November 27)
NC State at Michigan (November 27)
Ohio State at Duke (November 28)
Michigan State at Miami (November 28)
Tennessee at Georgetown (November 30)

* (Editor's Note: Kentucky had not been stripped of their national championship at the time of this post)

Garryk

Midnight Madness is tonight!!!!

Razorbacks are going to be really good this year, watch out SEC
minus Kentucky
!!!

Cousteau

Kentucky have 3 of the top 5 recruits already for next year? And they might get another top 5 to make that 4 of the top 5?
That has to be the best of all time on paper.
Seems everyone wants to take their talent to Lexington.

lol BE is still going to be among the elite of the BB conferences. I guess moving from number 1 to 2 or 3. ND has been solid but not spectacular at the very least. Getting in Memphis and Temple greatly limits the damage of losing the historical programs in Cuse and Pitt. It's still a "great" BB conference.

That said, I'll enjoy UCF's final season in CUSA under a postseason ban. :(

ohio state>your favorite squad
Are squad looks weak this year :/

It's not, we got guys to fill in for Sully and can now run a faster offense since we dont have to wait on him to walk down the court. If we can get proudction out of the 3 spot with Sam Thompson we'll be good.

Gorillaz

It's not, we got guys to fill in for Sully and can now run a faster offense since we dont have to wait on him to walk down the court. If we can get proudction out of the 3 spot with Sam Thompson we'll be good.
I ninja edit b4 u commented but yea I hope it still goes good. Craft is our defense basically and we have fresh blood

lush

The SEC should actually be fairly competitive for the top spot. Think Tennessee actually has a chance. Really looking forward to this season.

The Ohio River Valley may host 3 of the Top 5 teams - amazing.

I've been more focused on college football lately, but I'll be damned if I'm not excited for this year.

Can Peyton Siva rebound from a somewhat regressive year?
Can Gorgui Dieng further establish himself as a dominant shot blocker?
Can Chane Behanan beast with teams prepared for his talent?
Will Wayne Blackshear stay healthy?

Cards usually earn their way to big props...this year we start out with a Top 3 ranking, and some of the best depth we've had this century. Not used to such a big target on our backs, it'll be interesting to watch how the team handles it this year.

Coupled with the news that Rick plans to coach longer, and it's already been an excellent preseason for Louisville fans.

Bowser

I'm really interested to see the kind of product the Heels put out this year. Hoping for more of a 2005-2006 style season than a 2010-2011 one. Excited to see what Paige can do at PG, how JMM progresses with starter minutes, and some undoubtedly great dunks from Tokoto.

Troll

Banned
So somehow I have gotten into the Mountain West of all conferences. I started reading up on conference realignment because of football and now I root for the MWC. As I'm sure you guys know, they have a bad ass basketball conference.

So somehow I have gotten into the Mountain West of all conferences. I started reading up on conference realignment because of football and now I root for the MWC. As I'm sure you guys know, they have a bad ass basketball conference.

Whoa whoa, if youre going to cheer for a conference go with all the other yahoos to SEC.

cdyhybrid

<----- Go Dawgs!

Keep an eye out for redshirt freshmen Andrew Andrews (yes, that's his real name) and Jernard Jarreau. Andrews is a PG out of Portland who has Romar raving about him and Jarreau is a guy in the Kevin Durant mold, 6'10" beanpole who can shoot from anywhere. RS senior Scott Suggs comes back after sitting out last year because of injury to lead the team along with CJ Wilcox, who is the best shooter in the Pac-12, if not the country.

Well the team I grew up rooting for (Kentucky) is going to be great once again. This is a really weak year in terms of talent in all of college basketball, so UK has a great chance once again. I will say that they had arguably the best recruiting class again, especially with the pending NCAA ruling on the UCLA freshman.

That being said, I am a student at SMU and am most excited to see the GODFATHER, Larry Brown, coaching in Moody. This years team is going to be terrible, but I'm excited to see a legendary coach at my school, and hopefully improve these kids.

TheNatural

My Member!
Damn Duke plays UK and Ohio State, and could play Louisville and/or Memphis in the Battle of Atlantis tourney? Lots of big games there. Minnesota isn't one of them though ,take that one off the list lol.

Pollux

He's right. Who has a better shot right now?
For basketball? Y'all have a good shot but IU is right there with ya. Depending on how our team shakes out it'll be a close call.

But for BCS...jack and fucking coke. Come on bro, we've talked hoops here for years and I know you guys, and I know y'all aren't drinking that kool-aid.

Well the team I grew up rooting for (Kentucky) is going to be great once again. This is a really weak year in terms of talent in all of college basketball, so UK has a great chance once again. I will say that they had arguably the best recruiting class again, especially with the pending NCAA ruling on the UCLA freshman.

That being said, I am a student at SMU and am most excited to see the GODFATHER, Larry Brown, coaching in Moody. This years team is going to be terrible, but I'm excited to see a legendary coach at my school, and hopefully improve these kids.
SMU is going to take some time. But I'm glad there are a lot of facility investments going on and there is an understanding Larry is there to give the team a pulse before moving on. Then the young coaches would take over.

TheNatural

My Member!
Great OP. That's how we do it.

Pressure is on UofL this year.

No pressure, we're not UK fans. I'm going to enjoy the ride and wins, with a few curses thrown in at our annual WTF loss. Its not even worth watching college basketball if the only thing that is ever done is just relieved that the pressure is gone for another game after a win, instead of enjoying it.

Too bad IU didn't take the game Rick offered this year, it would have been one hell of an 80's stylistic throwback game between two veteran teams that isn't seen much anymore.

Minnesota will probably beat Duke down.

This Duke team will be one of the big mysteries of the season. They have the potential to be a dark horse Sweet 16 team or be a eight seed that crash out of the tourney in the first round.

They won't get beat down by Minnesota though. (Unless you mean physically beat down, in which case, they are a B1G team)

bachikarn

Go Gators.

Our OOC schedule this year is pretty brutal. Sharp contrast to the football team. We play Georgetown, Wisconsin, UCF, Marquette, FSU, Arizona, Kansas State, and the hardest of them all: Yale.

cdyhybrid

Go Gators.

Our OOC schedule this year is pretty brutal. Sharp contrast to the football team. We play Georgetown, Wisconsin, UCF, Marquette, FSU, Arizona, Kansas State, and the hardest of them all: Yale.

That is a gauntlet. Billy D needs to have a chat with Muschamp!

Top Bottom