• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Launch sales for Star Wars Outlaws are 55% lower than those of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

yazenov

Digital just as bad.

Just for reference, this is what Mirage did in Europe in 4 weeks when compared to Valhalla (digital and physical)

Mirage's first four weeks on the market are over 49% lower than what Assassin's Creed Valhalla managed. Mirage is billed as a smaller, more classical take on the series and so there was no expectation that it would compete with Valhalla.

Star Wars Outlaws has the biggest marketing campaign ever so far for a Ubisoft game.
Drama Club No GIF by Nickelodeon

Last edited:
I Hope So Nat Geo GIF by National Geographic Channel

Worst publisher in the industry by far, they make EA seem downright innovative in comparison. Be glad to see the back of em.

Utter bullshit.

EA doesn't even make hardly any games outside of their GaaS sports game MTX cash cows.

Konami is worse. MS is worse. THQ was worse.

Ubisoft makes a lot of cookie cutter games, but a lot of their stuff still plays really well and they continue to put out a sizeable number of games, despite the odd failure here and there. Gaming publishers who take risks on new IP and new games within existing IP are still better than those who do nothing but churn out sequels and GaaS tripe.

Roufianos

Some wild cope.

A game hits number 1 and the new goal post moves to "how much it COULD have sold" proceeds to compare it to games not even made by the damn publisher lol

Be like "ok, but this is still 125% lower the Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 sales, I don't know how Ubisoft is going to sleep at night"

Some of you made it fucking sounds like it wouldn't even chart, now that it does at number 1, hey....the publisher expected 35 million units bro, so it must be a flop, dang. lol
😂😂😂 Such a stupid take. Do you really think their goalpost was to simply chart at number one ahead of a load of old releases?

Maybe for a AA game a number one spot in itself indicates a success but certainly not for a game of this size. See Suicide Squad which was also number one.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Latest AAA Star Wars game is compared to the prior
They didn't make the other Star Wars games and they are 2 different genres

Something is telling me even if it did out sell that other Star Wars game, you'd just move a goal post to compare it to EA's Battlefront releases lol

If it outsold that, they'd be like "ok, but it didn't outsell Call Of Duty MW2 reboot though, like WTF BRO!" lol

Such a stupid take.

Yea, a game being number 1 must have did bad /s

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Roufianos

Something is telling me even if it did out sell that other Star Wars game, you'd just move a goal post to compare it to EA's Battlefront releases lol

If it outsold that, they'd be like "ok, but it didn't outsell Call Of Duty MW2 reboot though, like WTF BRO!" lol

Why don't you pass on your genius insight to WB who called their number one game's performance and blamed it for a $200m loss: https://gamerant.com/suicide-squad-...:text=Key Takeaways,best-selling game of 2023.

I'm sure Ubisoft's expectation for this game was to beat 2.5 year old Elden Ring to first place.

DryvBy

I wasn't paying any attention to this game. Ubisoft games take too long and Star Wars has turned to trash under Disney.

Then I saw the butt chin on this character model's face and I was disgusted. It's like they took that ugly Terminator 2 mom and modeled the chin after Nicki Minaj's butt.

5JWI0Rp.jpeg
SuXgZgM.jpeg

The Flash finished #1 in its domestic debut week, so did Blue Bettle, you think WB was dancing in the streets?

Finishing #1 on the charts is a nice marketing slogan to fool normies, industry people only care about $ revenue compared to total production and marketing costs.

Last edited:

pulicat

Neo Member

It's important to look at the unit numbers when it comes to the sales rather than the position on the chart.
There are 52 weeks a year on average, some games could be placed on the 1st by selling less than 10k but some could also be placed lower than that by selling over 50k.
One thing for sure Star Wars Outlaws is a disappointment commercially.

Kacho

Gold Member
Mirage dropped nearly a year ago and that was the last Ubisoft game I remember being a success. Everything else since then has seemingly underperformed. They must be praying Shadows is a success but the enthusiasm seems low.

This Asmongold video laughing at the shitty horse animation will have more views than their latest trailer.

NickFire

It's incredible that Spiderman 2 is still selling as well as it is. Being in and around the 10 top is mind-blowing!
Incredible yes. But not too surprising. It’s a really good game. More of same sure, but that metric becomes a feature on favorite games IMO. Just look at top sellers year over year. When it works it works.

Eszti

Banned
Mirage dropped nearly a year ago and that was the last Ubisoft game I remember being a success. Everything else since then has seemingly underperformed. They must be praying Shadows is a success but the enthusiasm seems low.

This Asmongold video laughing at the shitty horse animation will have more views than their latest trailer.

If you think that really you are s lost cause. This is assassins creed it will sell 10-20m look at Valhalla which was the worst of the new 3 games yet it sold like crazy.

Who cares about asmongold? That guy lives in filth is millionsire and is doing nothing except staring in a screen all day. Pathetic existence. Travel the world if you have that kind of money hope his „fans“ who are mainly teenager and kids one day know better.

Nydius

I imagine they made a lot of money from Uplay+ tho, I know a lot of ppl went that route instead.

I'm one of those people but I really don't think they're making money. I spent $17.99 for one month. I finished Outlaws in about a week. Played the new Avatar DLC. I'm currently working my way through Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. Instead of spending $130 for the ultimate edition of Outlaws, $15 for Avatar: Skybreaker, and $30-$40 for Prince of Persia, I got it all for $18 and have no reason to buy them because I will have seen everything they have to offer. Even if I decide to resub after the Outlaws DLC is released, I'd still only be spending $36 versus the $130 retail price tag to "own" the game.

Ubisoft+ putting their expensive edition single player games up on their service day one is a financial albatross. Even Xbox is smart enough to not put their most expensive versions of their games on Game Pass.

Kacho

Gold Member
If you think that really you are s lost cause. This is assassins creed it will sell 10-20m look at Valhalla which was the worst of the new 3 games yet it sold like crazy.

Who cares about asmongold? That guy lives in filth is millionsire and is doing nothing except staring in a screen all day. Pathetic existence. Travel the world if you have that kind of money hope his „fans“ who are mainly teenager and kids one day know better.
It’s very possible Shadows underperforms relative to their expectations. Given their recent track record I wouldn’t be shocked.

Eszti

Banned
It’s very possible Shadows underperforms relative to their expectations. Given their recent track record I wouldn’t be shocked.
Assassins creed is their cod. It will sell. Enough? Probably yes. Not enough to keep the company afloat if everything else flops tho for years to come.

Madflavor

Rewind the clock to somewhere between 2012 - 2017, and this game would sold like hotcakes based on brand recognition alone, regardless of quality. Shows how damaged Star Wars is nowadays.

Seyken

Some wild cope.

A game hits number 1 and the new goal post moves to "how much it COULD have sold" proceeds to compare it to games not even made by the damn publisher lol

Be like "ok, but this is still 125% lower the Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 sales, I don't know how Ubisoft is going to sleep at night"

Some of you made it fucking sounds like it wouldn't even chart, now that it does at number 1, hey....the publisher expected 35 million units bro, so it must be a flop, dang. lol

Like someone else said, the game released pretty much by itself, with no other big releases around besides Wukong, which isn't charted because it's full digital.

This was the biggest marketing push from Ubisoft EVER, so don't you agree they had VERY BIG expectations for the game? At the end of the day it doesn't matter if the game sells 5 million copies if they budgeted, projected and expected it to sell 15-20 million. What matters is the bottom line. Do you remember back in the day when Square released the first Tomb Raider and it sold a metric fuck ton and it still was considered disappointing by them? So yes, a game can totally be considered a failure even with good sales numbers.

Ubisoft is a freaking MASSIVE company, I think the 1st or 2nd BIGGEST PUBLISHER IN THE WORLD (when it comes to headcount) with over 20.000 employees, not counting the outsourcing they most certainly do. How can you expect a company that big to stay afloat when the majority of their big games are not hitting expectations? If Assassin's Creed Shadows fails, the company (maybe even the games industry in general) will no doubt undergo some brutal changes.

At this point I'm not certain it won't even with it being a massive success, which is doubtful considering everything surrounding that game right now.

Last edited:

Kotaro

Some wild cope.

The ones coping here is you. Just look at this Ubisoft stock price, the game was released on Aug-27, after that day the stock started tanking. The big money investors know the game is a flop

AC: Shadows is next

hJ6rLF8.jpeg

Kacho

Gold Member
Good video by Luke Stephens about the reception, coverage and sales potential of Shadows. Jump to 19:46 for the relevant bit.

tl;dw
Despite Ubisoft paying a truckload to market Shadows, YouTubers won't want to cover it because the discourse surrounding the game is toxic. This will impact the amount of players it reaches through word of mouth. He suspects the game will sell less than Valhalla.

StereoVsn

If they insist on not to be on Steam on Day 1, then these kind of results are natural.

Really, what kind of people agreed to this "EGS exclusivity" thingy? It is really so stupid on a PC platform. Sorry for EGS fans but I really don't like them.
Yep, basically it ensures that 90%+ of PC users won’t touch the game. Hope Tim Epic’s cash was worth it.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think this says more about how the public feels about Star Wars than it does about the game itself. Disney have driven this IP into the fucking ground.
Have to agree. I can’t remember the last time I heard anyone under 35 talk about Star Wars with interest.

Now that’s in my neck of the woods, and obviously it’s not indicative of all places. But then you look at the games that been mediocre, vanilla and overly safe, the over saturation of shows. spin offs, the (imo) poor casting choices and story arcs in the movies, and it kind of makes sense that Disney have not been good stewards of the franchise.

This franchise due to its Importance in movie lore should have been treated with much more care and restraint.

Top Bottom