• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Launch sales for Star Wars Outlaws are 55% lower than those of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Spider-man costed 100 million to Sony. How much do you think cost Star Wars and how many copies will they need to regroup their costs?

The shitty Valhalla sold upwards of 15m last estimate, probably closer to or above 20m by now. This will sell 10m easy.

Also, if using the leaked Marvel licensing is an example, it's $9m for licensing plus additional small percentages off of revenue. I don't think Ubi is gonna have any trouble with that.

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Bomba. That's what to expect when you woke-ify the MC. It really is just a bang average, basic shooter. Watched a few trailers, there's nothing unique or special about this game that warrants the attention its received besides the iconic IP.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

No, please. We do.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Last edited:

yazenov

Physical only data and also incomplete.

Ubisofts games are too big and mass marketed to be commercial failures.

I wasn't aware that you could fit additional balls in your mouth aside from MS :p

Edit:
But your wrong though. Remember the flop that was the Gaas pirate game last year? I forgot it's name.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Positioning on a chart doesn't mean anything. There haven't been any major new releases recently. Not sure how you could make a statement like this.

Even new releases don’t always hit number one. From the looks of things, not all of the data is in anyways so this discussion is pointless.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game is probably gonna do mighty fine in the end, but i expect ubi to have crazy sell expectations after saying that they poured a lot of money in the game and marketing.

StereoVsn

Lol when are people finally going to realise that UK physical sales mean absolutely nothing. The country is 65 percent digital and is growing every year.
That’s really weird to me for UK in particular since there are significant differences between digital and physical copies. The latter can be £10-15 cheaper at release.

Saber

Weird how the game with the "generic White dude" is the one people wanted to play. Maybe the force isn't female after all.

That girl is a carbon copy of Han Solo that follows the same number of name letters and sounds like "him but better". Absurd lack originality, its like the guys behind her have envy of Han and though could do a better job.
Would be better to create a game about Leia, but nah apparently she isn't the strong they need.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That girl is a carbon copy of Han Solo that follows the same number of name letters and sounds like "him but better". Absurd lack originality, its like the guys behind her have envy of Han and though could do a better job.
Would be better to create a game about Leia, but nah apparently she isn't the strong they need.
I really wonder if this was originally meant to be a Han Solo game but, well, the force is female.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
And you can’t come to that conclusion based on physical sales. I don’t know how you’re not recognizing that.

You've got a big problem. No one claimed physical sales are enough to come to a conclusion.

You're the only one claiming that being #1 on the chart means anything.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You've got a big problem. No one claimed physical sales are enough to come to a conclusion.

You're the only one claiming that being #1 on the chart means anything.

You’re the one insinuating it flopped based off incomplete data of physical sales.

Do you just like arguing with people over nothing?

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
These are physical/boxed charts so Wukong won't appear in them.
Oh shit I'm glad I saw this comment.

I was thinking what the hell is going on with Mario kart, 2 Witcher 3s, transformers battlegrounds in the year 2024.

Plus mad max is at 21! Mofos gonna be discovering that game for 25 years at this pace.

My favorite car combat since twisted metal 2. Too bad the server is offline so you can't 100%/plat it.

Yo, and who the fuck is buying hogwarts legacy on Switch OR PS4!!!!!

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!? DO YOU HATE URSELF?

Who is still buying physical for non Nintendo platforms? The only physical PS5 game I've purchased was FF16 and it took 4 days to install it from the disc for some reason.

Cyberpunkd

Hogwarts Legacy with 43% Switch split, what a dumpster fire of a market. Nobody better dare to start how games are expensive when you have people paying more than 40£ for a barely-running game on a 7-year old hardware that was underpowered when it came out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
quote me.
Positioning on a chart doesn't mean anything. There haven't been any major new releases recently. Not sure how you could make a statement like this.

You can be #1 and still be a complete flop. Not sure how you're not recognizing that.

You’re trying to downplay the game’s sales performance based on incomplete data, that uses a dying format.

Why you keep arguing over something that nobody knows the answer to is beyond me. It might flop and it might not.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's incredible that Spiderman 2 is still selling as well as it is. Being in and around the 10 top is mind-blowing!

Who is still buying physical for non Nintendo platforms? The only physical PS5 game I've purchased was FF16 and it took 4 days to install it from the disc for some reason.
Me and lots of other people in the US. Most Internet providers in the US have caps on your monthly data or you have to pay significantly more for extra or unlimited data.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
You’re trying to downplay the game’s sales performance based on incomplete data, that uses a dying format.

Why you keep arguing over something that nobody knows the answer to is beyond me. It might flop and it might not.

Quote where I said it was a flop.

🤡

Roufianos

The shitty Valhalla sold upwards of 15m last estimate, probably closer to or above 20m by now. This will sell 10m easy.

Also, if using the leaked Marvel licensing is an example, it's $9m for licensing plus additional small percentages off of revenue. I don't think Ubi is gonna have any trouble with that.
Ubi stock is down almost 80% in 5 years. Their struggles financially are well known.

I highly doubt this will hit 10m, stock is down 10% in the past 2 days so it can't be trending that well.

Valhalla was the last mega hit they had, which isn't good enough for a company with 20k employees.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Hogwarts LegacySwitch 43%, PS5 25%, PS$4 23%, Xbox 6%

Never expected this to perform better on Playstation platforms based on physical media alone tbh.

That said...i feel like this decade we have to much stuff flopping, it's kinda crazy.

I feel like the market is stuck with free to play stuff, the same franchises over and over and not much more happening. Hogwarts is a crazy result but the game is like a year and half. The Witcher 3 was just top 10 last week.

This shows two things: People buy physical media for at least the most established franchises or when there's a huge sale. (Armored Core, etc).

I would love to know how much that #40 actually sold. I have a feeling most of GAF would be surprised. by how low it actually is.
This gen fucking sux.. simple as that ... people can deni it for as long as they want... xbox has thrown the towel , first party Sony is MiA with whatever they launched already being a major step down to predecessors, too much remasters and remakes of games that cameout not long ago, DEI infested projects and studios killing the hype for any project as soons ss they are shown.

Asia is keeping this whole thing afloat with Elden Ring, Star Blade and etc.

This gen is the culmination of DEI practices affecting the studios... and I doubt they will learn shit until next gen so expect the next gen to be equal or even worst.

RCX

Spider-man costed 100 million to Sony. How much do you think cost Star Wars and how many copies will they need to regroup their costs?
This was my first thought. These licensed games aren't necessarily the sure-fire money they're made out to be.

Does your majesty have any information to share with us stupid peasants which might indicate that Outlaws will have a higher digital attach rate than Jedi Survivor?

When did I say that genius? I have no idea how well it sold

Doesn't change the fact UK physical data is pretty useless

avin

Are you stupid or just blind? There’s a like for like comparison to the last AAA Star Wars game and the studio’s last game.

Really? I don't see evidence correlating initial first week boxed sales with overall sales at some later date that includes digital, across many games, so we can decide whether this particular statistic has any predictive value of performance. If it's in the OP I didn't see it.

avin

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Some wild cope.

A game hits number 1 and the new goal post moves to "how much it COULD have sold" proceeds to compare it to games not even made by the damn publisher lol

Be like "ok, but this is still 125% lower the Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 sales, I don't know how Ubisoft is going to sleep at night"

Some of you made it fucking sounds like it wouldn't even chart, now that it does at number 1, hey....the publisher expected 35 million units bro, so it must be a flop, dang. lol

yazenov

Digital just as bad.

Yikes. Half of Mirage is atrocious, and it was a much lower-budget game since it's half the length of Valhalla.

And this Star Wars game is the most expensive game marketing-wise for them, and they also have to pay Disney their licensing fees.

the biggest marketing campaign ever so far for a Ubisoft game.

Update on this graph

10WjEfl.png

Last edited:

Jaybe

Some wild cope.

A game hits number 1 and the new goal post moves to "how much it COULD have sold" proceeds to compare it to games not even made by the damn publisher lol

Be like "ok, but this is still 125% lower the Call Of Duty Black Ops 3 sales, I don't know how Ubisoft is going to sleep at night"

Some of you made it fucking sounds like it wouldn't even chart, now that it does at number 1, hey....the publisher expected 35 million units bro, so it must be a flop, dang. lol

Latest AAA Star Wars game is compared to the prior AAA Star Wars game.
“Wild cope” 😆

ElFenomeno

Ouch...but deserved. The game is embarrassing.
Back in the 00s playing Farcry, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon , I said to myself...man...in a decade or two, games will be fuckin amazing. Imagine the possibilities.
How wrong was I. They deserve everything thats coming their way.

Oh and of course, the cope of Ding is unbelievable. Im sure the positive word of mouth and countless memes will guarantee Outlaws has strong sales in Q4. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

HogIsland

Ubisoft gets what they deserve for pushing their garbage Uplay store over Steam. The digital picture vs Survivor is probably even worse considering Survivor launched on Steam.

Preorders must have been lower than expected. GameStop was offering 75% bonus trade in credit toward this game.

I would have happily bought it, but I am already juggling four games.

Flabagast

They should have shot for a higher critical reception, and should have put more efforts on two things:
- tighter gameplay mechanics, notably regarding stealth and shooting
- much better writing. I swear to if they had cared more about characterization and interesting storyline (with no extra budget needed, just better and more thematically layered dialogue) they could have at least got 10 more points on the Metacritic score. For now on, if Ubi dev read this, it s really important that for every quest / storyline you write you ask yourself « would this quest/dialogue be good enough so that CDPR would validate it and include it in one of their games? » if the answer is no, go back to the drawing board. I don’t think they realize how much good characters and writing can improve the critical reception by a lot

Top Bottom