• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

lush

Had to squeak out an ugly once at Auburn tonight. Stokes ended up going 1-10 from the FT line. Huge game on Saturday against Mizzou.

Ok, I've watched Shabazz, McLenmore, and Hairston in multiple games this season and I can't for the life of me understand why Hairston is left out of the conversation among these guys. Hairston has a more complete game than any of them. What gives?

Miami and G'town both losing helps IU a bit for seeding purposes. But I dont like having to rely on other teams losing in order for IU to get a 1 seed.

IU needs to earn their seed. If they lose Sunday at Michigan, that would be 3 losses in 4 games. Not the ideal way to head into postseason play. Beat Michigan on the road and they will have earned their seed. Hopefully the players come out tenacious. That's been missing since the MSU road win. Need to get their edge back.

Bowser

Ok, I've watched Shabazz, McLenmore, and Hairston in multiple games this season and I can't for the life of me understand why Hairston is left out of the conversation among these guys. Hairston has a more complete game than any of them. What gives?

Before Roy put him in the starting lineup, he was only averaging ~17 MPG. There's your answer. Hard to be compared with guys that are playing 25+ MPG and dominating the ball.

Fjordson

What Bowser said. Only seen a few UNC games this season, but he seemed like an average role player when I saw him early on. Last game I saw of UNC (I think it was against Clemson) was a totally different story.

Also, Shabazz has been overhyped a bit I think. Doesn't surprise that he's dropped from being a top 3 pick on most draft boards. He's a bit too slow and stocky to be only 6-5. Not sure how well he'll do in the NBA if he doesn't get quicker.

edit: lots of upsets today. Xavier over 16 St. Louis and Washington St. over 23 UCLA by double digits. Damn.

Minnesota loses to Nebraska. I assume we now have to beat Purdue to finish 9-9 to get in? Not many losing conference records get in...maybe like once in the past 10 years. Pretty pathetic.

Thanks Georgia Tech for keeping whatever slim chances we have of getting a slice of the regular season ACC title.

Sidenote: This is late, but I'll really miss this group of seniors, even Mason. 110-21 overall, 63-3 at home (including two undefeated home campaigns), and a national championship.

Why couldn't we have beaten Maryland or UVA...just one of them...

Man, same types of thoughts going through NCSU fans' heads -- two 1 point losses, a 2 point loss, and a 3 point loss. But, nope, we're at 11-6 and praying we are only looking at three rather than four games next weekend. =/ The Heels won't be caught, but hopefully FSU or Maryland will take care of keeping Virginia at the #5 spot.

Jasconius

New Mexico in a close one with Nevada. Would be a really big upset if Nevada can do it.
New Mexico defense triumphs again! I really like this team because as long as someone steps up to contribute some offense, I think we have a chance to beat just about anyone. As long as... ;p

alstein

Man, same types of thoughts going through NCSU fans' heads -- two 1 point losses, a 2 point loss, and a 3 point loss. But, nope, we're at 11-6 and praying we are only looking at three rather than four games next weekend. =/ The Heels won't be caught, but hopefully FSU or Maryland will take care of keeping Virginia at the #5 spot.

Yeah, but at least Tourney Selection show won't be stressful this year.

Worst thing to worry about is drawing Kansas or Indiana in the 2nd round.

Crisco

Banned
Before last nights game we were projected as the 8 seed in the midwest region, playing Missouri in the first round and then Gonzaga if we win. In Salt Lake City. I would love that draw for two reasons: I live in Salt Lake City, and Gonzaga is by far the weakest of all the 1s and most of the 2s. Really the only top seeds I would absolutely not want to play are Florida and Kansas.

TheNatural

My Member!
Palm has us as a 1 seed:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Lunardi has us as a 2, updated like this:

1-SEEDS
Gonzaga/WEST
Kansas/SOUTH
Indiana/MIDWEST
Duke/EAST (replacing Georgetown)

2-SEEDS
Louisville/MIDWEST
Georgetown/SOUTH
Michigan/EAST
Florida/WEST (replacing Miami)

LAST FOUR BYES
Colorado
Virginia
Villanova (moves up with win)
Iowa State (moves up with win)

LAST FOUR IN
La Salle (moves down despite win)
Temple
Boise State
Tennessee

FIRST FOUR OUT
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Alabama
Southern Miss (up from "Next Four")

NEXT FOUR OUT
Baylor
Arizona State
Maryland (down from "First Four")
Providence

ALSO CONSIDERED
Iowa

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks Georgia Tech for keeping whatever slim chances we have of getting a slice of the regular season ACC title.

Sidenote: This is late, but I'll really miss this group of seniors, even Mason. 110-21 overall, 63-3 at home (including two undefeated home campaigns), and a national championship.

3 undefeated years at home, actually. All 3 losses were from last year (UNC, Miami, Florida State).

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
New Mexico defense triumphs again! I really like this team because as long as someone steps up to contribute some offense, I think we have a chance to beat just about anyone. As long as... ;p

It would be nice if the Lobos had a sharpshooter. Bryce will be suiting up next year, until then, smother teams with defense.

The game last night was a bit weird. Alford played the entire bench in the first half. Guess he figured the starters could clean up at the end. He was right.

Fjordson

Must win for UK at Georgia today. Our tourney hopes are slim as can be, but they're definitely gone (short of an SEC tourney win) if we lose to Georgia.

He's been pretty accurate about who gets in the field every year. I think he's only missed a handful of teams since he started doing this.
Yeah, he's gotten really accurate. I remember he only missed a single team last year.

He's even getting more accurate at who gets what seeding. Will be interesting to see how he does this year with all of the upsets.

Fjordson

Double digit loss to Georgia. What a damn shame.

We were so solid with Noel, stunning how far we've fallen. Oh well. Almost hope Lunardi and company puts us firmly off the bubble just to put us out of our misery. Every time it seems like we're back on the bubble after showing signs of life (like the win over Mizzou) we come crashing back down. We don't at all have the look of a tournament team.

jakncoke

Banned

We were so solid with Noel, stunning how far we've fallen. Oh well. Almost hope Lunardi and company puts us firmly off the bubble just to put us out of our misery. Every time it seems like we're back on the bubble after showing signs of life (like the win over Mizzou) we come crashing back down. We don't at all have the look of a tournament team.

NIT will welcome you.

Silkworm

Well you've got a shot if you beat UF and do well in the SEC Tournament. I hope the Gators get the win at UK this Saturday but I'll wait to see it. Having Yeguete back helps but he's still getting back to speed and the teams offense has been somewhat disjointed with Frazier and Yeguete back so we'll see how things go in Lexington. :)

LegoDad

I'm honestly OK with losing to ISU on the road. They're deserving of being in the tourney, and we fought hard to make it close in the second half.

A home win against KSU would be a nice way to finish the regular season.

Do not beat KSU... KSU needs the Big XII Championship. lol.

Palm has us as a 1 seed:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

Lunardi has us as a 2, updated like this:

1-SEEDS
Gonzaga/WEST
Kansas/SOUTH
Indiana/MIDWEST
Duke/EAST (replacing Georgetown)

2-SEEDS
Louisville/MIDWEST
Georgetown/SOUTH
Michigan/EAST
Florida/WEST (replacing Miami)

LAST FOUR BYES
Colorado
Virginia
Villanova (moves up with win)
Iowa State (moves up with win)

LAST FOUR IN
La Salle (moves down despite win)
Temple
Boise State
Tennessee

FIRST FOUR OUT
Kentucky
Ole Miss
Alabama
Southern Miss (up from "Next Four")

NEXT FOUR OUT
Baylor
Arizona State
Maryland (down from "First Four")
Providence

ALSO CONSIDERED
Iowa

And this is horrible... KSU is not a 4 seed.. At #9, and everyone losing ahead and a win at OSU, they should be a 2-3 seed dependent on getting to Big XII Tourney Championship game.. Their only loss to a non Top 10 team is Iowa State..

KSU beat Florida on a Neutral Court, lost to Gonzaga (overall #1), Michigan (2 seed), and Kansas (twice and a 1 seed).

dmag1223

Must win for UK at Georgia today. Our tourney hopes are slim as can be, but they're definitely gone (short of an SEC tourney win) if we lose to Georgia.

Yeah, he's gotten really accurate. I remember he only missed a single team last year.

He's even getting more accurate at who gets what seeding. Will be interesting to see how he does this year with all of the upsets.

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/rankings.html

He sucks.

On another note, is the SEC only getting 2 teams in this year?

TheNatural

My Member!
Do not beat KSU... KSU needs the Big XII Championship. lol.

And this is horrible... KSU is not a 4 seed.. At #9, and everyone losing ahead and a win at OSU, they should be a 2-3 seed dependent on getting to Big XII Tourney Championship game.. Their only loss to a non Top 10 team is Iowa State..

KSU beat Florida on a Neutral Court, lost to Gonzaga (overall #1), Michigan (2 seed), and Kansas (twice and a 1 seed).

That's the point. Kansas State hasn't beat anyone.

TheNatural

My Member!
yep, going 25-5 and they didn't beat anyone...

They beat Florida.. and 24 other teams. They don't lose to teams they are supposed to beat, unlike everyone else. Ah the ignorance of college sports.

Ignorance?

Your RPI is 21st.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_146_Men.html

What do you want, a medal for beating Florida and Oklahoma State? 10 of your wins are against teams rated lower than 200 in the RPI. Then another 6 between 100 and 200. That's not an incredible resume.

It seems like it's mostly due to the bracket rules being so in-depth that there's less room for judgement calls by the committee. Given the data that they have going in to Sunday I'd guess anyone could generate a bracket that's pretty darn close to the final assuming you play by the location and matchup rules.

Also, this season sucks, but it's much easier for me to win local bracket challenges when Kentucky doesn't have a shot of winning so maybe I'll make some cash this year.

jakncoke

Banned
yep, going 25-5 and they didn't beat anyone...

They beat Florida.. and 24 other teams. They don't lose to teams they are supposed to beat, unlike everyone else. Ah the ignorance of college sports.

But how good are those 24 teams is what he is saying. For instance if you beat Florida and 24 div 2 teams do you deserve a high seed?

What do you want, a medal for beating Florida and Oklahoma State? 10 of your wins are against teams rated lower than 200 in the RPI. Then another 6 between 100 and 200. That's not an incredible resume.

KenPom has them even lower. If they manage to beat Oklahoma State on Saturday (granted the RPI hates them, but they're ranked 16th KenPom and projected to beat them with ~75% certainty) it would be a nice way to prove themselves a bit.

Fjordson

NIT will welcome you.
Looks that way. All we deserve at this point.

Well you've got a shot if you beat UF and do well in the SEC Tournament. I hope the Gators get the win at UK this Saturday but I'll wait to see it. Having Yeguete back helps but he's still getting back to speed and the teams offense has been somewhat disjointed with Frazier and Yeguete back so we'll see how things go in Lexington. :)
True but...don't want to act like a defeatist fan so I'll just say Florida is really good and we're not :lol hope for the best this weekend against the Gators.

lush

Wonder if there's a chance UK declines NIT bid if it gets to that point. They just really look like a team that's ready for the season to be over.

Crisco

Banned
So you guys do realize that Lunardi doesn't actually predict anything. He talks to members to of the NCAA selection committee and just reports what they tell him. That's why his "predictions" are so accurate.

lush

How often do teams decline a NIT bid? Does it really happen that often?
Not all that often. They won't but you never know. I see no real reason to ever play in it to be honest, you're risking injury for no real reason outside of experience.

Top Bottom