• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Five more automatic bids getting clinched today.

Sun Belt- 4 FIU vs 6 Western Kentucky
CAA- 1 Northeastern vs 3 JMU
Southern- 1 Davidson vs 3 College of Charleston
MAAC- 4 Iona vs 6 Manhattan
WCC- 1 Gonzaga vs 2 Saint Mary's

chris121580

Outright Big 10 Championship feels real good. Been such a long time coming. Never did I think we'd make it back to being relevant in just 4 years with the state our program was in. Still have more work to do though.

I also can't believe we have to play either Illinois or Minnesota first in the B1G tourney but I'd like to seek some revenge on Illinois.

Supposedly Meyer told Crean to "go fuck yourself" in the handshake line which is what set Crean off. But that didn't get caught on video.

The story I heard is that Meyer went to an interview to get on Crean's staff (he was an assistant under Sampson at IU) when Crean took over, but Crean no-showed it and wanted nothing to do with him because he was one of Sampson's assistants.

indianaball.gif

Still can't believe this didn't roll in... Yogi got a hand on it when Morgan shot the putback.

If Meyer really said something like that, Crean certainly had a right to be upset about it.

Crean apologized today about the heated moment - http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9039583/tom-crean-indiana-hoosiers-apologizes-michigan-wolverines-jeff-meyer-heated-exchange

Meyer was cleared of any major violations by the NCAA (though he did get a secondary violation for giving a tshirt and cap to a recruit after an AAU event.).

Either way, it seems like Crean rubs some coaches the wrong way. Thad Matta apparently isn't fond of Crean because he doesn't buy Crean's personality + 110% energy at all times. Which if true is a pretty superficial reason for disliking Crean.

I wondered at first if Crean's non stop energy was a mirage but by all accounts it's genuine. The guy doesn't stop, as Dan Wetzel pointed out. If it rubs some people the wrong way, so be it. The last time IU had a coach that was disliked by some folks, things were pretty good.

alstein

Just hope there are no major upsets, might end up taking one of UK's spots (I wish I was kidding).

As a bubble veteran (10 years of boring shitty Herb Sendek will do that to you), don't worry about those games. Neither team has an at-large. Worry about the shitty teams that are fighting bubble teams- those are the guys who cost you spots.

You're more likely to see that in the high-end mid-majors like C-USA/A-10/SEC (lol)

From one of the best teams in the country (Indiana) to maybe one of the worst teams in the history of the sport.

4qo38k_zps2a835eba.jpg

If (when) they lose on Wednesday, they'll finish a winless season that saw them beaten by an average of almost 30 points a game and ranked dead last (347 in the country) by almost every statistical metric.

TheNatural

My Member!
A dust up in the postgame handshake line between Crean and Michigan assistant Jeff Meyer. Meyer was an assistant under Kelvin Sampson at IU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDnJ6zjmcw

You can hear Crean saying, "You know what you did. You helped wreck the program. You helped wreck our program."

I'd be curious what preceded this incident during the game between Meyer and Crean that would prompt Crean to say that......but I like Crean sticking up for the program.

Wetzel had a good piece about it - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--under-tom-crean-s-frenetic-guidance--hoosiers-keep-cool-heads-to-win-big-ten-title-outright-030745166.html

March has gone full on WWE mode. Love it. Anyone involved on that IU staff put the program on the death penalty, so I can't blame him. But then again, if Sampson didn't fuck it up, the job wouldn't have opened either.

DominoKid

LEWISVILLE, NC – Duke’s Mason Plumlee led a close vote for the 2012-13 All-ACC basketball first team, as determined by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association. Plumlee (73 1st-place votes, 226 points) finished second among ACC players in scoring average, rebound average and field goal percentage, in leading Duke to a 27-4 record. He is joined on the first team by the ACC’s leading scorer, Erick Green of Virginia Tech (72 1st-place votes, 225 points), Miami’s Shane Larkin (72 1st-place votes, 224 points), Virginia’s Joe Harris (67 1st-place votes, 219 points) and NC State’s Richard Howell (46 1st-place votes, 192 points).

Larkin’s 13.7 points, 4.4 assists and suffocating defense helped lead the Hurricanes to their first-ever ACC regular season championship. Harris is averaging 17.0 ppg overall and 18.4 ppg in ACC play.. Howell led the ACC in rebounding (11.4 rpg in ACC games), as NC State finished 22-9 (11-7, ACC).

Duke’s Seth Curry (178 points), Miami’s Kenny Kadji (131 points) and NC State’s Lorenzo Brown (122 points) lead the Second Team, along with North Carolina players Reggie Bullock (119 points) and James Michael McAdoo (97).

The third team features Florida State’s Michael Snaer (93 points), NC State’s CJ Leslie (80 points), Boston College’s Ryan Anderson (46 points), Duke’s Quinn Cook (43 points), Clemson’s Devin Booker (43 points) and Virginia’s Akil Mitchell (43 points).

Receiving honorable mention were: Durand Scott (Miami), P.J. Hairston (UNC), C.J. Harris and Travis McKie (Wake Forest), Ryan Kelly (Duke), Olivier Hanlan (Boston College) and Alex Lin (Maryland).

ABOUT THE ATLANTIC COAST SPORTS MEDIA ASSOCIATION:
The Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association is an organization of journalists dedicated to fostering a mutually beneficial relationship between the news media and the institutions and administration of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

ALL-ACC FIRST TEAM
Mason Plumlee Duke
Erick Green Virginia Tech
Shane Larkin Miami
Joe Harris Virginia
Richard Howell NC State

ALL-ACC SECOND TEAM
Seth Curry Duke
Kenny Kadji Miami
Lorenzo Brown NC State
Reggie Bullock North Carolina
James Michael McAdoo North Carolina

ALL-ACC THIRD TEAM
Michael Snaer Florida State
C.J. Leslie NC State
Ryan Anderson Boston College
Quinn Cook Duke
Devin Booker Clemson
Akil Mitchell Virginia

ALL-ACC FRESHMAN TEAM
Olivier Hanlan
Rasheed Sulaimon
T.J. Warren
Devin Thomas
Marcus Paige

ALL-ACC DEFENSIVE TEAM
Shane Larkin Miami
Daniel Miller Georgia Tech
Durand Scott Miami
Alex Len Maryland
Jontel Evans Virginia

As a bubble veteran (10 years of boring shitty Herb Sendek will do that to you), don't worry about those games. Neither team has an at-large. Worry about the shitty teams that are fighting bubble teams- those are the guys who cost you spots.

You're more likely to see that in the high-end mid-majors like C-USA/A-10/SEC (lol)

Agreed.

The only game out of those five that should seriously affect the bubble would be Gonzaga-Saint Mary's. If Saint Mary's managed to win, that gets them an automatic pass off the bubble and Gonzaga would have to steal an at-large from one of the bubble teams.

The rest of the games are pretty much "Win or You're Out"

W1SSY

Dont think IU should be that high with how they ended the season, but polls dont mean anything anyways.
Not for sure how far you would expect them to drop. They lost to OSU but recovered from that by beating Michigan at home. It's not like the teams behind Indiana have played stellar. The only team that you could probably argue moving past them would be Louisville.

I mostly just have a hatred of all of the code words applied to white players (including when people apply them to UK guys like Wiltjer, Polson and Hood).

There should be a white basketball player drinking game any time an announcer says stuff like floor general, high basketball IQ, playing the right way and on and on.

Nesotenso

well he is white and makes up for his lack of being as talented or physically gifted as others on the floor with "hustle" (according to some at least). I think the perception is that the media overhypes white players like Craft. I wonder if he would get the same amount of fan hate if he was black and the media loved him.

DominoKid

I mostly just have a hatred of all of the code words applied to white players (including when people apply them to UK guys like Wiltjer, Polson and Hood).

There should be a white basketball player drinking game any time an announcer says stuff like floor general, high basketball IQ, playing the right way and on and on.

sports announcer code words really annoy me. i mean damn. just come out and say how you really feel

i think the worst one i heard was joe buck comparing matt ryan and kaepernick in the nfc champ game.

I dont see him like Tebow at all (bias of course), but Craft is running around likes he holier than thou like Tebow did.

"Holier" as in preachy? Or "holier" as in arrogant?

I've basically come to expect the latter from any notable athlete. But if he's going around proselytizing, then yeah, that's irritating.

Does anyone know if a father and son have coached separate teams in the NCAA tourney before?

There's a solid shot at it when Richard Pitino's FIU Panthers take on the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers for the Sun Belt Conference championship on ESPN at 7PM ET tonight...

DominoKid

We were robbed!

Should have had a clean sweep of the Final Four with Laettner, Redick, Hurley, and Wojciwoefjakldljakdsljfski

the only thing i enjoyed from the last unc/duke game was the great player montage.

it went Jordan, Laettner, Worthy, Wojo (in that order, +more), and i fell out on the floor laughing. i don't even think they showed Grant Hill in the montage.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Its no surprise that the Duke side is pretty much all white. I'm sure most people hate Shane Battier's white side than his black side....if that is possible to do. Seriously Dahntay Jones was a 100X bigger asshole than Shane ever was.

I don't hate Eric Montross at all, most peole say he's a really nice guy. I'd replace him with Mahktar Ndiaye in a heartbeat. But Montross is white.

And yes, Casey Jacobsen should have made the list. Total fucking douchebag.

NewLib

Banned
the only thing i enjoyed from the last unc/duke game was the great player montage.

it went Jordan, Laettner, Worthy, Wojo (in that order, +more), and i fell out on the floor laughing. i don't even think they showed Grant Hill in the montage.

Wait Wojo? You mean the guy who Jamaal Magloire made cry on national television? Hahaha. Too funny

Hey, that was one epic bear hug he gave Coach K after the 98 win on senior day. I don't recall seeing the montage this year, but I know what they always show.

From one of the best teams in the country (Indiana) to maybe one of the worst teams in the history of the sport.

4qo38k_zps2a835eba.jpg

If (when) they lose on Wednesday, they'll finish a winless season that saw them beaten by an average of almost 30 points a game and ranked dead last (347 in the country) by almost every statistical metric.
This totally ruins Action Bronson's verse in "1 Train" for me.

He didn't need to fix a game between Georgia Southern and Grambling :(

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

4qo38k_zps2a835eba.jpg

They don't have enough
hard-working, passionate, crafty (
read:white
) players.

DominoKid

Hey, that was one epic bear hug he gave Coach K after the 98 win on senior day. I don't recall seeing the montage this year, but I know what they always show.

it wasn't that big moments in the rivalry montage they always show.
this was just like a montage for a cut to a commercial. more like a powerpoint actually. really easy to miss.

thefro

Its no surprise that the Duke side is pretty much all white. I'm sure most people hate Shane Battier's white side than his black side....if that is possible to do. Seriously Dahntay Jones was a 100X bigger asshole than Shane ever was.

I'd put Chris Duhon and Jay Williams on there (of course he's going to get a pass because of the wreck) instead of Paulus, anyway.

Not sure why Reggie Miller is even on there except for his NBA reputation.

DominoKid

I didn't even know Shane was mixed.

Duhon should've definitely been on it though. I hated the shit out of his mediocre ass.

I don't think people hated J-Will and even if they did, the accident likely killed the hate.
(Actually I'm gonna hate on him for having Charissa Thompson. Lucky ass.)

Paulus earned his spot just by existing.

Oddly enough, I'm probably one of the few Carolina fans that doesn't hate JJ. He just played like an asshole, which I can respect. But I don't remember much corny hateable shit from him.

Top Bottom