• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

The most hated is guaranteed to come out of either the Duke or 00s region. They should have just had two regions and not broken it down like that.

It's really tough for me, but I think I have to go with Adam Morrison.

DominoKid

Aren't they playing Little Sisters of the Poor-West Campus?

But only to his teammates and Duke fans. He's arguably one of the most disliked Duke players by Duke fans since probably Greg Newton.
Granted a lot of Duke fans hated Paulus too, but not for the same reasons.

lmao i never knew about this.

DominoKid

no one care. theyre gonna get their shit kicked in. it's louisville i'm worried about. pitino is gonna feast on the remarkable amount of coaching ineptitude in the acc

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
lmao i never knew about this.

It was indicated by a lot of people close to the program that McRoberts was not going to be missed when he left in 07. Acerbic and grouchy with teammates, hinted that he didn't always play as hard as he could, wanted to be a facilitator and jump shooter vs a more traditional post player.

I think thats why some Duke fans get defensive about Austin Rivers' supposed attitude problems. McRoberts was what most people thought Rivers was, but it seems that Rivers was generally liked by teammates. I don't know that his play style always meshed with the rest of the personnel that year.

Fjordson

Apparently Nerlens Noel got SEC freshman of the year, defensive player of the year, and first team all-league.

Happy for him. That injury is still depressing, though. Could have put together an incredible season if healthy.

Edit: wow, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope from Georgia got SEC player of the year. Would have expected Jordan McRae.

lush

I'm fine with Caldwell-Pope getting it over Mcrae, even though Mcrae makes more sense. I think Stokes has an argument for 1stthe team, only player to average a double-double in the SEC. The biggest snub for me is Josh Richardson being left off the All Defensive team. But it's the coaches awards so whatever.

TheNatural

My Member!
Last Big East tourney ever technically starts today - although it's only two games between the 4 worst teams in the league since UCONN is banned and West Virginia left last year.

TheNatural

My Member!
First pic of the Big East tounrey in the Providence Civic Center in 1980:

ncb_bigeast_hz_04.jpg

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL this whole column is pretty awesome, but I cracked up at this story, Boeheim and Carlissimo setting up a young Rick Pitino at Providence to get Rollie Massimino to go off on him, with John Thompson cracking up:

Thompson:
"I'll never forget when Rick came in [to Providence]. I didn't go to a helluva lot of those coaching meetings but I was there when Pitino came into the league; he was the young kid. Most of us had tried to recruit him or saw him when he was a player and he and Rollie got into it. He didn't want Rollie to talk to him the way he was talking to him. Rollie was trying to explain to him that all of us had to pay some dues, that when we all came in, the old-timers got on us, too."

Boeheim:
"Oh yeah, they went at it. Rollie called him a young pipsqueak or something like that and [Pitino] said, "I'm not a young pipsqueak, I can compete just like you."

That was a great moment.

You had to stand up for yourself in that room."

Rick Pitino (Providence head coach from 1985-87; Louisville head coach since 2001):

"I remember it like it was yesterday because P.J. [Carlesimo] and [Jim] Boeheim set me up. We were in Bermuda and there was going to be this ball deal. Villanova had just won the national championship and he wanted to set it up so Villanova, St. John's, Syracuse and one other -- not Georgetown because they had their own deal -- would get $12,500 and the rest of us would get $3,500.

So P.J. and Boeheim take me aside and they tell me he's going to say this but that I should speak up. I was just coming from the pros with Hubie Brown and they said Rollie had a lot of respect for the pro game and Hubie.

I'm a little bit of a Doubting Thomas, but I figure, all right.

So Rollie gets up at the meeting and says McGregor wants the four of us and doesn't want to give the rest of you the same. They wanted to give you $2,500 but I got it up to $3,500.

So I raise my hand and I said, "Coach, I know you just won a national championship and had an outstanding year but, with all due respect, you don't know who is going to win next year, so I think it's only fair that we all get the same cut."

Well, he goes off on me like you wouldn't believe. He's calling me a f---ing whippersnapper, saying you came here like some hotshot from the pros. Exactly the opposite of what they've told me.

John Thompson is sitting there laughing and Boeheim and P.J. have their heads down.

At that point I knew I was set up and not only that, but everyone knew but me and Rollie. He was legitimately mad.

Well then he says something that set me off and I go back at him. "Who do you think you are? F--- you. You've won one f---ing national championship." And it's tense. John Thompson loved it."

Thompson:
"I don't think Rollie was being disrespectful but when I saw that, I knew Pitino was going to be good. I'm sitting there, "Yeah, kid, don't take this s---- off him." It never got to be ignorant, but Rick balked. He wanted us to know, us old-timers, "You're not going to push me around." "

And I always respected him for that.

Pitino:
"The next day, Dave Gavitt, being the consummate politician, sets us up to play golf. He's got me in a foursome with P.J., Boeheim and Rollie and I'm in the same cart as Rollie. I refuse to get in the cart. I walked the entire 18.

Boeheim and P.J. are just laughing hysterically."

Long ass column here with a lot of former Big East players, coaches, and commish - but there is some good stuff in here:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9002900/last-call-garden-party

Draxal

Catholic 7 is taking the tournament name, but Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville are gone.

We don't know where Cincinnati and UConn are winding up yet, do we?

Staying in A-12 until ACC gets poached which might never happen (b12 can't poach, and the schools that the Sec/BIG want ... aren't leaving ... NC/UVA).

Big East's history is incredibly stupid if you think about it, it rejected PSU and got rejected by Rutgers twice.

I hope Rutgers goes far this year, so we can have Mike Tranghese want to kill himself even more, and have Mike Rice go absolutely apeshit once we lose.

Fjordson

Saw one of UK's recruits play out here in San Jose, Marcus Lee. Holy shit man. 29 points, 16 rebounds, and 12 blocks. A bit inflated since he was easily the tallest kid there at 6-10, but he's a freak athlete. Almost like a Nerlens Noel, though probably doesn't quite have Noel's defensive timing.

TheNatural

My Member!
Looks like it's going to be Villanova for us tomorrow, just who I wanted. A chance to avenge the third of our five losses this year.

lush

Man, that big east floor graphic behind the baskets is blowing my mind. Looks just like a sign, but then the ref is walking on it. Shit's crazy.

Top Bottom