• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

NFreak

I could see NC State beating Indiana if they end up playing each other if they actually play some defense. Their offense is good enough but they're so inconsistent on the defensive end.

lush

Hey, MTSU won on the road, except against everyone in the Top 100 RPI. 1 Top 100 RPI win, 1. Saint Marys isn't much better.

The committee basically laid out the red carpet for Miami to get to the Elite 8. I'm sure they'll take being a 2 when they have this bracket. Especially when the alternative was probably going out to Cali for the regionals.

And the committee seems to favor wins over anybody on the road over good wins at home or neutral courts.
Brandon Paul will convince them to stick to football.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The committee basically laid out the red carpet for Miami to get to the Elite 8. I'm sure they'll take being a 2 when they have this bracket. Especially when the alternative was probably going out to Cali for the regionals.

And the committee seems to favor wins over anybody on the road over good wins at home or neutral courts.

which is funny because these are all neutral court games.

Aesius

Hey, MTSU won on the road, except against everyone in the Top 100 RPI. 1 Top 100 RPI win, 1. Saint Marys isn't much better.

26-4 regular season isn't easy no matter what conference you are in. They go 25-5 and they're NIT bound. There's almost no margin for error in the Sun Belt, and their three OOC losses were to conference champs (Florida, Akron, and Belmont).

bachikarn

This argument from the committee basically shits in the face of OOC. Play a bunch of shit teams on the road is the way to go.

I thought they are stressing that you have to play tough OOC? I know Florida got in a couple of years ago (and was an overvalued 2 seed) because we were playing a tough OOC. Did Tenn play a tough OOC and still not get in?

If so, I'm guessing the reason is that they are punishing the SEC as a whole for not playing enough tough OOC. So your SEC record wasn't good enough to get in.

Seth C

Cal's in and playing essentially a home game against UNLV.

He is talking about Calipari.

Anyway, we are playing in the NIT. It was decided before the season. Apparently to decline the bid we have to opt-out in the pre-season. Also, it appears we won't be playing at home because all of our staff are in use at Rupp hosting the NCAA Tournament games.

So, a 1 seed in the NIT but playing on the road somewhere. In other words, only one game left of this season.

jjasper

I thought they are stressing that you have to play tough OOC? I know Florida got in a couple of years ago (and was an overvalued 2 seed) because we were playing a tough OOC. Did Tenn play a tough OOC and still not get in?

If so, I'm guessing the reason is that they are punishing the SEC as a whole for not playing enough tough OOC. So your SEC record wasn't good enough to get in.

We played a though OOC to make up for the SEC. We didn't win any games on the road though. MTSU played no one and won a lot of away games. They basically said winning on the road against shit was better than a hard OOC and winning the home games and losing away.

Surge

Damn...just got a call to go into work for a few hours so I'm not going to be able to put my picks in until later tonight.

Atleast it will give me some time to think about who I want to go with in some of these matchups.

Marshall Henderson seems like an ass, and yet there are scores of people on Twitter going on-and-on about how "the world needs to see this kid on the big stage". Why?

I love Indiana's draw.....couldn't have asked for a better path. Much easier draw than Lousville got.

Louisville could potentially have to play Missouri, Saint Louis (best 4 seed, Final Four potential) or Oklahoma St. (Marcus Smart at point guard is a lottery pick, good team), then Duke or Michigan State in the Elite 8. That is absolutely brutal. Hope they get knocked off for IU's sake but Louisville is deservedly the favorite to win it all.

Only game that scares me as an IU fan is the 2nd one against NC St/Temple. NC St. was top 10 preseason, has NBA talent, but they've underachieved. IU beat NC St. last year at NC St. I fear NC St will be out for revenge. That makes me nervous. So I hope Temple beats them. Khaliff Wyatt is a great player for Temple, but Id rather IU take their chances with Temple.

If IU gets by the 8/9 game, they are Final Four bound. UNLV as a 5 is a good team for IU to play because they are an up tempo team. Anthony Bennett is NBA good but IU would handle UNLV. Syracuse is a good team, but they struggle to score sometimes and I think IU's shooters would love to shoot 3s against that 2/3 zone.

Miami would give them the toughest game in the Elite 8...but I kinda like Butler to make a run and make the Elite 8. Revenge factor would be big for IU against Butler. If it is Miami...they're a good team, but IU is better all around team. Much more explosive on offense and I think Yogi and Oladipo would do a good job containing Shane Larkin.

I think there's a good chance that Wisconsin and Ohio St. could play in the Elite 8 in the West region. If that happens, go Buckeyes.

PBY

Banned
I love Indiana's draw.....couldn't have asked for a better path. Much easier draw than Lousville got.

Louisville could potentially have to play Missouri, Saint Louis (best 4 seed, Final Four potential) or Oklahoma St. (Marcus Smart at point guard is a lottery pick, good team), then Duke or Michigan State in the Elite 8. That is absolutely brutal. Hope they get knocked off for IU's sake but Louisville is deservedly the favorite to win it all.

Only game that scares me as an IU fan is the 2nd one against NC St/Temple. NC St. was top 10 preseason, has NBA talent, but they've underachieved. IU beat NC St. last year at NC St. I fear NC St will be out for revenge. That makes me nervous. So I hope Temple beats them. Khaliff Wyatt is a great player for Temple, but Id rather IU take their chances with Temple.

If IU gets by the 8/9 game, they are Final Four bound. UNLV as a 5 is a good team for IU to play because they are an up tempo team. Anthony Bennett is NBA good but IU would handle UNLV. Syracuse is a good team, but they struggle to score sometimes and I think IU's shooters would love to shoot 3s against that 2/3 zone.

Miami would give them the toughest game in the Elite 8...but I kinda like Butler to make a run and make the Elite 8. Revenge factor would be big for IU against Butler. If it is Miami...they're a good team, but IU is better all around team. Much more explosive on offense and I think Yogi and Oladipo would do a good job containing Shane Larkin.

I think there's a good chance that Wisconsin and Ohio St. could play in the Elite 8 in the West region. If that happens, go Buckeyes.
Think you're taking Miami too lightly- I think their age is a lowkey huge factor and they looked pretty good through the ACC tourney. But outside of that I totally agree with you.

The only restriction I know is GTown can't play in DC. Doesn't explain why Louisville as overall #1 is getting the #6 rated team.

Top 3 Big East teams can't be in the same region. So that eliminates Georgetown, and they probably didn't want to give Ohio State games in Indianapolis.

EDIT: The seeding guidelines eliminate Ohio State as well.

"No more than one team from a conference may be seeded in the same grouping of four in lines 1-4"

Since Michigan State is there at #3, OSU can't be in the same region at #2.

Proelite

Pitt is ridiculously underseeded.

They're better than most 2s on kenpom.

Kansas worst 1 seed.

I am just guessing on kenpom, the site is taking a beating.

W1SSY

Committee chairman on ESPN said they don't use S Curve. They base it on geography now.
Oregon and Cal drop because of seating issues.
Miami was close to being a #1.

alstein

I could see NC State beating Indiana if they end up playing each other if they actually play some defense. Their offense is good enough but they're so inconsistent on the defensive end.

Indiana's interior D is too good. Any team with super-strong interior D is a bad matchup for NCSU. I'd expect it to get ugly potentially.

Kentucky is a 1 in the NIT and they are going to go play at Robert Morris in the first round because Rupp is hosting the NCAAs.

This is going to be the biggest thing at Robert Morris since

Kacar

Glad tOSU gets to play in Dayton, our path doesnt look to hard to get back to the final four.

I go to school at UT in Knoxville and people here are pissed lol, they all truely believed they were in.

The fuck? Is the S curve dead?

Yeah, the Matt Jones mentioned that when he came back from the mock thing in Indy. Each line is ranked and assigned to region based on location.

Had Indiana fallen to a 2 seed, they would have ended up in your region and I would have been unbelievably happy. Duke in UofL's region is good enough for me.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Kentucky is a 1 in the NIT and they are going to go play at Robert Morris in the first round because Rupp is hosting the NCAAs.

This is going to be the biggest thing at Robert Morris since

................the ghost of Robert Morris

Didn't they make the tourney a couple of years ago?

KingGondo

Banned
Oklahoma State got possibly the toughest draw possible.

A matchup against a "12 seed" Oregon that won their conference tournament, in NorCal no less, then murderer's row starts where we'll have to face a combination of SLU, Louisville, Duke, and Michigan State?

If we get to the Sweet Sixteen I'll be thrilled. Heck, winning our first game will be extremely tough.

Ugh.

Does Pitt even go to Robert Morris? The last few years (looking at the Pitt schedule), the game is always listed as "vs." for Pitt, as if (at best) they'll play on a neutral court.

It's like when Duke plays "at" Davidson. The game is actually in the Bobcats' arena in Charlotte, not at Davidson's home court about 20 miles up the road.

jakncoke

Banned
Does Pitt even go to Robert Morris? The last few years (looking at the Pitt schedule), the game is always listed as "vs." for Pitt, as if (at best) they'll play on a neutral court.

It's like when Duke plays "at" Davidson. The game is actually in the Bobcats' arena in Charlotte, not at Davidson's home court about 20 miles up the road.

Oh well maybe not, I never really payed attention. I just assume in the history we did it every now and then

Fjordson

Oklahoma State got possibly the toughest draw possible.

A matchup against a "12 seed" Oregon that won their conference tournament, in NorCal no less, then murderer's row starts where we'll have to face a combination of SLU, Louisville, Duke, and Michigan State?

If we get to the Sweet Sixteen I'll be thrilled. Heck, winning our first game will be extremely tough.

Ugh.
I'm going to the San Jose games, I'll be pulling for Marcus Smart and company.

Cal's in and playing essentially a home game against UNLV.
Oh I meant Cal as in Coach Calipari for Kentucky. Wouldn't insult Cal like that, they were better than us this year.

Top Bottom