• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Jasconius

UNM's going to lose that 2nd round game to 'Zona. Just so everyone is ready.
I dunno, I like our chances! It's been a while since we played Arizona but I think that's because they're scared of us. The last two times we played them were in 2000 at Arizona when they were ranked 7th in the nation and 1999 at home when they were ranked 3rd, and we won both games!

Fjordson

7f4ff0148f6811e29a1925wksk.jpg

We really goofed this time.

uk-fan-what.jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Does Pitt even go to Robert Morris? The last few years (looking at the Pitt schedule), the game is always listed as "vs." for Pitt, as if (at best) they'll play on a neutral court.

It's like when Duke plays "at" Davidson. The game is actually in the Bobcats' arena in Charlotte, not at Davidson's home court about 20 miles up the road.

It still works to Davidson's advantage as a bunch of UNC alumni in the Charlotte area will by tickets for to troll Duke in that game. No I'm not making it up. Having that game at TWC doesn't mitigate the away factor in the slightest.

It still works to Davidson's advantage as a bunch of UNC alumni in the Charlotte area will by tickets for to troll Duke in that game. No I'm not making it up. Having that game at TWC doesn't mitigate the away factor in the slightest.

Well, it also works out because it's a bigger gate and more money for the school. But I think there's enough Davidson alums and supporters in and around Charlotte that they don't need other fans to fill in the gaps.

TheNatural

My Member!
The gym they play the Maui Invitational tournament in only seats 2400. Definitely the smallest gym for a true road game they've played in a long time though.

Smallest? Yes. But they probably have more fans in the seats for that game than Georgia, Bama, Auburn, South Carolina, and about half the SEC have at any given time.

I think most people will pick Minnesota over UCLA, so I wouldn't really call that an upset except in the seeding.

Illinois is certainly capable of beating Miami if their 3s fall.

He's talking about vegas betting, last I saw UCLA was favored. I think thats one of the safer "upsets" in the first round.

There is something seriously wrong with that link. (You reversed the link and text.) - and fixed

edit - Does it really matter who the last team in the field is? Jumping up and down because of that is just dumb.
Faux outrage.

I also like that he singles out Jay Bilas, despite Jay being the only ESPN talking head with an actual educated opinion.

TheNatural

My Member!

Crisco

Banned
As long as shit teams from garbage conferences keep getting in by winning their tournaments over teams from the Big 6 with actual talent, no ranking system is ever going to be "fair". Fix that first, then worry about ranking the teams.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
A composite like the BCS with 4 or so computer rankings would be better than relying on 1 single computer ranking.

I'm not inside the selection committee, but every time they talk about it, they always say they use multiple rankings, not just the rpi. They're just people, but I prefer people to computers.

As long as shit teams from garbage conferences keep getting in by winning their tournaments over teams from the Big 6 with actual talent, no ranking system is ever going to be "fair". Fix that first, then worry about ranking the teams.

Fuck that. The whole charm of the tournament is that everyone gets represented. I sympathize with fans of bubble teams that get left out, but if you want in, the solution is simple: play better.

TheNatural

My Member!
A composite like the BCS with 4 or so computer rankings would be better than relying on 1 single computer ranking.

Do any grade Div II schools though? If they don't, it's the same issue. I wonder how accurate the 'drop two worst wins' thing would work though. I don't know how that guy is averaging things out, and if he's doing it the correct way. The 14 total Div II games would certainly have a SOS effect for the conference.

RPI doesn't work aware of rankings. They all have decimal numbers that they're ranked to. The difference between 1 to 50 is like 0.09. The difference between 150 to 200 is less than 0.04. I think the media plays up the whole top 50, top 100, 'bad losses', and 200 plus a lot - but the gap between some of those in the RPI's actual decimal number can vary wildly.

jjasper

I'm not inside the selection committee, but every time they talk about it, they always say they use multiple rankings, not just the rpi. They're just people, but I prefer people to computers.

The problem with people is that right now each year it is different people and each year they are looking for something different and you dont know what it is until they interview thr head of the comittee after the process is over. This year was wins on the road with no regard to the quality of those wins was important and teams that lost games with key players hurt were penalized. In years past it has been who have to played, other years who have beaten, some years it is how you finish, some years they discount loses when you have injuries, and so on. There needs to be some form of standardization.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The problem with people is that right now each year it is different people and each year they are looking for something different and you dont know what it is until they interview thr head of the comittee after the process is over. This year was wins on the road with no regard to the quality of those wins was important and teams that lost games with key players hurt were penalized. In years past it has been who have to played, other years who have beaten, some years it is how you finish, some years they discount loses when you have injuries, and so on. There needs to be some form of standardization.

You're arguing for destroying Selection Sunday. CBB is weak and unpopular enough as it is.

Crisco

Banned
CBB is weak and unpopular because for the majority of casual viewers, the regular season doesn't mean dick, and too many of the games are foul filled bore-fests.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
CBB is weak and unpopular because for the majority of casual viewers, the regular season doesn't mean dick, and too many of the games are foul filled bore-fests.

Right. So your solution is to just have a tournament filled with the BCS teams?

The real problem right now with cbb is the NBA and the one and done, imo. There's a lack of stars and continuity. I think that part can be fixed, but only with the NBA's help. But don't hurt the part of basketball that is actually popular because your team isn't good enough to make the tournament. It's just petty. Actually, I have no idea who you root for, I'm just guessing.

jjasper

I agree that the talent pool is a problem but the pace of the game is too slow. They need to change the shot clock to something less than 35.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I agree that the talent pool is a problem but the pace of the game is too slow. They need to change the shot clock to something less than 35.

Better than the shot clock, they should look at the block/charge and hand checking. But that's really just minutia to me. I think having some big names in uniform for 3 years would be a bigger boon than inflated scoring. Let's just agree to "all of the above".

Big East has an announcement scheduled for tomorrow. As do both Creighton and Xavier. Looks like the announcement to add Creighton, Xavier, and Butler to the Big East is imminent.

Who's actually still in the Big East (America 12)?

The Catholic 7 are taking their ball and going home, and the ACC is taking Cuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, and Louisville (albeit after next year) with us.

W1SSY

Just read the article about RPI and that is hilarious. Kind of figured something was up with RPI when the Mountain West was so good but this just proves it.

jakncoke

Banned
Kentucky losing to Robert Morris to end their pitiful season would be awesome for me take that you bitches, hog up all the top prospects see where it got you this year! /blissfullyignoringthepastandgivingnofucksthattheyare1yearremovedfromaNC

Top Bottom