• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

reKon

Banned
I wanted to be the ones to take that #1 spot from Michigan. I pray that all our players get healthy (especially Gary Harris) so we can whoop ass in the tourney. As usual during the season, we're getting better and better...

Mrbob

Yeah I'm surprised Wisconsin has been unranked for such a long time. They'll be back in top 25 now. Somehow Minnesota has stayed ranked with a worse conference record.

I'd still like to see the team get one guy who can create a shot on his own.

DominoKid

So how do you guys feel about coaches not fouling up 3 with seconds to go to force 2 freethrows instead of the hail mary 3?

I expected the foul before Wiscy could hoist one to send it to OT.

fouling in that situation is sensible from a coaching standpoint but i hate it as far as entertainment value.

DominoKid

heatdayout.gif

jakncoke

Banned
Gonzaga current record for ranking is #3, someone here said they'd never get #1 when I asked if they ever were ranked #1, with the top 5 shitting the bed this week. I dont think its impossibly another week or 2 if the top shit some more that Gonzaga actually gets to #1, unless the voters vote someone behind them to jump them.

Bowser

Heels can't beat a tournament level team this season. Looking at our 2nd NIT in 4 years. Embarrassing.

Save us Andrew Wiggins, you're our only hope

DominoKid

Heels can't beat a tournament level team this season. Looking at our 2nd NIT in 4 years. Embarrassing.

Save us Andrew Wiggins, you're our only hope

Wiggins + Hicks would be a hell of a pair to bring in. Instant contributors. Not getting my hopes up about Wiggins though.

Miami looks so happy.

Miami's going to win the ACC in basketball. Shit makes no sense. (won't go undefeated, Duke will beat them at CIS but by then it wont matter)

Also, has any player ever hurt his draft status more by coming back than JMM?

Top 5 to not mentioned at all.

DominoKid

the idiot GM that would've drafted JMM is thanking the stars he didn't go pro. what a fucking bum. the competition for his high school must be complete ass.

also Miami is gonna win the ACC in bball, before football. think about that.

edit: add these to the list of sick alts we'll never see again cause we got dumptrucked.
BCrsyMBCIAErXme.jpg

i still don't like the NC in the center (front), but i really think nike was on to something here as far as updating our jerseys. stretch the argyle all the way up the sides and that's a winner imo.

DominoKid

i look forward to the game at HIS on wed.

pretty sure duke will be up something like 15-5 by the first tv time out because our starting lineup sucks at basketball.
then PJ will come in and it a few 3s and get yanked for making one bad play.
then we get to see roy play musical chairs w/ the lineup.
and by the end of it we'll be looking at a 20+ loss.
plumlee 2 will probably have some ungodly statline. 25/15/5.
quinn cook is gonna TORCH paige.

Fjordson

Man, the SEC is so lame this year. These teams that know they don't have the talent to match up with Kentucky come in and just muck up the game. Shoving every play, pushing after the whistle. One kid on Auburn got ejected for throwing a punch :lol shit is garbage to watch. Oh well. It works I think for the most part, Kentucky wilts sometimes when it gets physical.

Edit: another flagrant on Auburn. Intentional on a fast break :lol

Yeah I'm surprised Wisconsin has been unranked for such a long time. They'll be back in top 25 now. Somehow Minnesota has stayed ranked with a worse conference record.

I'd still like to see the team get one guy who can create a shot on his own.
Bo can't win outside the B1G, which is why they aren't ranked.

They look really good in conference play this year, and considering the strength of the conference I'd rank them. But based on past events, I predict a first weekend exit from the NCAAs.

UraMallas

Kansas is close to a third consecutive loss on ESPN. ISU vs. KSU might be for a share of first place in the Big 12 tonight! Loving this season as a Cyclone fan so far.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Da U writing a lot of checks this year that they won't be able to cash next.

DominoKid said:
also Miami is gonna win the ACC in bball, before football. think about that.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. At least you have beaten them in football. We can't even do that. Seeing how those NCAA sanctions didn't prevent you from landing the number 18 class, even with scholarship reductions, it high time to rich Duke alumni pony up for football as well.

Servbot24

Banned
Iowa playing to the level of the competition again today against N'Western. We'll win this game but I don't see us making the tourney. :(

Nesotenso

Jayhawks are terrible right now. I would bench Johnson. missed FTs killed us. At this point I don't see us retaining the big 12 title.

iamblades

Man, the SEC is so lame this year. These teams that know they don't have the talent to match up with Kentucky come in and just muck up the game. Shoving every play, pushing after the whistle. One kid on Auburn got ejected for throwing a punch :lol shit is garbage to watch. Oh well. It works I think for the most part, Kentucky wilts sometimes when it gets physical.

Edit: another flagrant on Auburn. Intentional on a fast break :lol

Just a symptom of the terrible officiating that is ruining college basketball. Constantly rewarding overly physical play, allowing defenders to restrict offensive player's movements, rewarding flops with charge calls and refusing to call any loose ball fouls at all.

Then when the game gets chippy, they start calling bullshit tickytack handcheck and reach in fouls while still allowing total hacking and grabbing on the inside.

College basketball really needs better refs. It's so obvious when you see a game where the refs call the fouls instead of trying to call a game even or worrying about putting a team at a disadvantage by calling multiple fouls on a key player early. Tightly called games from the start are so much more entertaining to watch.

The 'let them play and don't call fouls because it slows the game down' argument doesn't work, it just encourages teams to foul even more so you end up with the same number of fouls called but way more fouls that go uncalled allowing defenses to hack and grab at will, and it's why offense in college basketball is at it's lowest point in 60 years.

The shot clock needs to be lowered and we need refs who will do their job and call fouls instead of 'rewarding hustle' or whatever bullshit reason they give for allowing players to hack and grab and flop all over the court.

devilhawk

Inconsistent officiating is pretty endemic to the sport of basketball - regardless of the level of play.
Indeed. Calling handchecks one time down court. Not calling tackles in the paint the next.

Besides the shot clock needing to be reduced (and fouls on the floor reseting like jumps) the refs are as big a reason of the problem scoring.

Fjordson

The 'let them play and don't call fouls because it slows the game down' argument doesn't work, it just encourages teams to foul even more so you end up with the same number of fouls called but way more fouls that go uncalled allowing defenses to hack and grab at will
This makes total sense really after watching the game today. It got chippy because they were "letting them play" but that just evolved into a parade of fouls. And is probably what caused guys to get heated to the point where they were intentionally grabbing guys and throwing punches on boxouts.

Top Bottom