• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2012-2013 Season |OT|

Aesius

MTSU improves to 21-4, 13-1 in the mighty Sun Belt. Really hoping they can win out and secure an at-large bid to prevent any potential disappointment if they happen to drop one in the SBC tournament.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Thing is, State had 22 fouls, Duke 21. Free throw disparity here is where and when the fouls were committed, not the number of times the whistles blew.

Its funny whenever UNC fans bring up this shit when they bring up foul disparity when even their shitty teams often top the league in that differential. And the excuse I always hear is, well their style of play is inside out so thats why. Ok, so who's been Duke's best player this year and where does he play? They tried this same bull shit last year. Why does a 3 pt shooting team shoot so many FTs? Conspiracy! Guess the two players who lead DUke in FTAs last season. Hint: one is still at Duke and the other is sucking it up in the NBA.

Considering they were without Brown and Duke had an *amazing* first half it's hard to feel too down on the Pack. Not only that but it is giving us a bit more experience at PG and that may help come tourney time a bit. As for the FTs, < 60% FTM is inexcusable. That's a huge weakness for State (that and lackluster defense and senseless fouling). They've got to fix that.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Considering they were without Brown and Duke had an *amazing* first half it's hard to feel too down on the Pack. Not only that but it is giving us a bit more experience at PG and that may help come tourney time a bit. As for the FTs, < 60% FTM is inexcusable. That's a huge weakness for State (that and lackluster defense and senseless fouling). They've got to fix that.

Losing to Duke at CIS without a starter is no shame. Its the games in between this one and the first one where NCSU has struggled. Things wouldn't be so bad if you had beaten Miami and I wish you had.

Losing to Duke at CIS without a starter is no shame. Its the games in between this one and the first one where NCSU has struggled. Things wouldn't be so bad if you had beaten Miami and I wish you had.

Yeah, me too man. Miami, however, again not a bad loss -- down a starter and against a higher ranked team on a last second tip-in. It's the Wake Forest, Maryland, and Virginia losses that there is simply no excuse for (all on the road, and showing a lack of mental toughness in the end game -- not a great trait for a team hoping to have a decent showing in the tourney). Also no excuse for scraping by Clemson and Boston College. Best of luck down the stretch for Duke! I don't think you'll need it, but every little bit helps I guess.

Bowser

Once again, a few of the "Cameron Crazies" prove to be the classless fucks they are by chanting, "How's your grandma?" at Tyler Lewis, who was reportedly close to his grandmother who passed away last Friday. Sickening.

Once again, a few of the "Cameron Crazies" prove to be the classless fucks they are by chanting, "How's your grandma?" at Tyler Lewis, who was reportedly close to his grandmother who passed away last Friday. Sickening.

If they did in fact chant that, that would be classless, and hopefully they'll get an earful about it. I didn't hear that on my television, though.

alstein

Yeah, me too man. Miami, however, again not a bad loss -- down a starter and against a higher ranked team on a last second tip-in. It's the Wake Forest, Maryland, and Virginia losses that there is simply no excuse for (all on the road, and showing a lack of mental toughness in the end game -- not a great trait for a team hoping to have a decent showing in the tourney). Also no excuse for scraping by Clemson and Boston College. Best of luck down the stretch for Duke! I don't think you'll need it, but every little bit helps I guess.

The Wake game is the real WTF. Maryland isn't that bad and it was a trap game, the UVA game had only a few minutes of Brown and Leslie was sick.

State plays much better when there's not a whistle every ten seconds in general, but some of that is lack of depth, which is Amile Jefferson's fault. That's not going to be fixed for a couple of years.

Howell gets it from the ACC refs in general though unfairly. particualrly certain ones (which is why Karl Hess has effectively been banned from calling State games)

DominoKid

typical. smh.

Alex Kennedy &#8207;@AlexKennedyNBA
Tyler Lewis' grandmother died last Friday. He was close to her and called her every day to check in. Duke fans chanted "How's your grandma?"

SedanoShow
Not a good look. RT @rpurvis_0: Duke fans are some disrespectful clowns. Who chants about a kids grandmother who passed away recently ?”
2/7/13 11:53 PM

Nolan D. Smith &#8207;@NdotSmitty
I just got off the phone with my pops Curtis Malone who was at the game, and Duke fans did not say anything crazy, about TLs Grandma!

Seth Curry &#8207;@sdotcurry
@NdotSmitty I didn't hear it

Krzyzewski would've killed a guy if somebody did that in the stands.

well guess he's about to catch a body then. all the state players arent tweeting about it for nothing.

Rodney Purvis just deleted his tweet about it...

@rpurvis_0: Duke fans are some disrespectful clowns. Who chants about a kids grandmother who passed away recently?

It's gone now.

alstein

Given some of the stuff this year- State players should just stay away from Twitter.

It probably was a couple of classless punks, but all fanbases have those.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Given some of the stuff this year- State players should just stay away from Twitter.

It probably was a couple of classless punks, but all fanbases have those.

The student section chanted "past your bedtime" and "Frodo Baggins" at Tyler Lewis because he looks like he's 12. Some of the "reporters" who've started this whole mess have now stepped back and said it was just a couple of jerks.

K has a history of publicy calling out the crazies if they either step out of line or if he feels they mail it in. He's not going to listen to his student section make fun of a death of a family member of a rival program and not address it.

This is just like the Juan Dixon "orphan" thing that Dixon himself said happened at UVA, not Duke, but everyone wants to believe that it happened at CIS, so CIS it is.

Edit: here is a video of the chant in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9O2KOwjOk&feature=player_embedded

Whether you "clearly" hear bedtime or grandma depends on whether you like or dislike Duke, based on the comments. It sounds like bedtime to me, but the chant never really got going in the full student section to tell. However, students at the game have said the "past your bedtime" chant was on their dorky dirt sheets so its most likely what it is.

The student section chanted "past your bedtime" and "Frodo Baggins" at Tyler Lewis because he looks like he's 12. Some of the "reporters" who've started this whole mess have now stepped back and said it was just a couple of jerks.

K has a history of publicy calling out the crazies if they either step out of line or if he feels they mail it in. He's not going to listen to his student section make fun of a death of a family member of a rival program and not address it.

This is just like the Juan Dixon "orphan" thing that Dixon himself said happened at UVA, not Duke, but everyone wants to believe that it happened at CIS, so CIS it is.

Whether you "clearly" hear bedtime or grandma depends on whether you like or dislike Duke, based on the comments. It sounds like bedtime to me, but the chant never really got going in the full student section to tell. However, students at the game have said the "past your bedtime" chant was on their dorky dirt sheets so its most likely what it is.

I couldn't get to the game last night so I wouldn't be able to confirm either way, but that video sounds pretty solidly like "Past Your Bedtime".

I can't cosign anyone making fun of the death of a relative, but I highly doubt that would get chanted by the entire student section (unlike the "No means No" chant against Dez Wells of Maryland a few weeks back, which was also terribly disrespectful IMO). More likely it was just a couple of drunk assholes (like alstein said) who happened to be close to the court and within earshot of the players.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
More likely it was just a couple of drunk assholes (like alstein said) who happened to be close to the court and within earshot of the players.

Sounds about right.

Funny how no one was that upset a few years ago when the entire Miami crowd chanted "Fuck you Paulus" for a good stretch of a game. Every school's student section is going to have a handful of fans screaming awful things. I'm sure FAR worse things have been said in other stadiums. Of course, it only gets brought up in the media if it's Duke.

DominoKid

woe is duke. i choose to hear grandma because it furthers the agenda.

also there's nothing wrong w/ saying "Fuck You Paulus." especially compared to personal attacks.

BChgYRFCQAAQVIX.png:large

Stay classy UNC.

Crisco

Banned
Eh, NC State doesn't really have any ground to stand on when it comes to classless chants. I was there for S-T-D (McCants), lynch Ty Lawson, we killed your grandfather (Chris Paul), and singing the ABCs to some GT player who had a learning disability. The last one was actually awesome because Paul Hewitt started cursing at the fans. Good times.

Oh and some little kid from UNC started crying once because fans sitting behind him told him that Santa Claus was mommy and daddy.

DominoKid

honestly i'm fine w/ w/e a crowd says as long as it doesn't pull in family, religion or race. everything else is fair game. and i guess if you had an openly gay player, but that hasnt happened yet.

i remember UAB trolled the fuck out of Memphis when they had Robert Dozier b/c he beat his girl.

honestly i'm fine w/ w/e a crowd says as long as it doesn't pull in family, religion or race. everything else is fair game. and i guess if you had an openly gay player, but that hasnt happened yet.

i remember UAB trolled the fuck out of Memphis when they had Robert Dozier b/c he beat his girl.

Yeah, they don't hold back in CUSA. Shit was hilarious.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I agree with this. I was not a big fan of the Dez Wells chant and I know it was retaliation for UMD fans and Shelden Williams. I'm certainly not going to argue Duke students are the beacon of class because there's a thread a few pages back that disproves that.

I just grow tired of people either making up shit or blowing shit out of proportion that most people wouldn't consider twice if it was some other school. I get that a lot of it has to do with growing tired of the myth that Duke basketball represents. Its one of the reasons I can sympathize with Notre Dame's fanbase.

jakncoke

Banned
Pretty big game today, Hope we don't choke this one away as well if we get a good lead. Jeebus, Steven Adams didnt even attempt a shot in 24 minutes in the 1st game.

Fjordson

As much as I'd love to take a shot at Duke, it definitely sounds like bedtime.

KingGondo

Banned
Big game for us at Kansas State. We beat them at Hilton a few weeks ago. We need this win.
OSU's at Texas, too. We're the better team, but I'm not confident enough in our ability to win on the road to predict a win outright.

OSU @ ISU late in the season could be for the Big 12 title at this rate!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
it feels so weird to be a major underdog to fucking Miami. cant wait for order to be restored in the future.

Don't worry, once their 8th year seniors are gone, it will be you, us, Cuse, L'ville and the rest ...maybe NCSU. How they finish this year may impact their recruiting.

Mrbob

Surprisingly entertaining game out of Wiscy/Mich today. This league is bananas!

Yeah it has been a fun game to watch. Just wish the Badgers had more in their offensive arsenal than move the all around till someone is open for 3, and hope for a rebound score from a miss.

alstein

Don't worry, once their 8th year seniors are gone, it will be you, us, Cuse, L'ville and the rest ...maybe NCSU. How they finish this year may impact their recruiting.

State's got good recruits coming in the next 2 years- though Randle is going to be important for next year.

Gott can recruit with the best of them, it's just a question of his coaching, though he has made Leslie into less of a knucklehead, and he has done wonders with Brown and Howell.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
State's got good recruits coming in the next 2 years- though Randle is going to be important for next year.

Gott can recruit with the best of them, it's just a question of his coaching, though he has made Leslie into less of a knucklehead, and he has done wonders with Brown and Howell.

Leslie's issue now is consistency. When he wants to play, NOBODY can guard him. Whats the word on Randle? And can Purvis make the jump next year? He's not bad, but he's not matching the hype just yet.

Top Bottom