• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NDS: Nanostray

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
JasoNsider said:
Well, I've been looking at the screens and my money is on them being in-game. I think a lot of people who think otherwise will feel surprised when they find out this is the case :).
Better to be pleasently surprised than let down. The water in those screens looks better than what you see in many games running on the home consoles and set-top boxes today.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
cybamerc said:
Mama Smurf:

> Don't you have to either have a wireless router at home or live in a hotspot?

Or an access point.

> Isn't that even worst than the GC making you buy a broadband adapter separately?

No.

Well most people aren't using wireless interent, so we'd have to buy something, no different than on the GC. As for hotspots, I dunno what it's like elsewhere, but there are huge areas in the UK not covered, and those that are all split between different providers, so there's guarentee you'll be able to use it in a hotspot as it may not be one from your provider.

That's how I understand it anyway.

The water in those screens looks better than what you see in many games running on the home consoles and set-top boxes today.

I'm sure if you made a lot of games that small, the water would look much better to.

Besides, for all we know it's just an unmoving texture.

cybamerc

Mama Smurf:

> Well most people aren't using wireless interent, so we'd have to buy something

Sure. But how are you worse off buying something that you can also use with other devices than an overpriced ethernet adapter (goes for PS2 as well) or overpriced software (Xbox Live)?

> I'm sure if you made a lot of games that small, the water would look much better to.

Sure.

> Besides, for all we know it's just an unmoving texture

No it's clearly reflective and has specular highlights.

Panajev2001a said:
Shin'en was able to do their own Sound Engine, but did not implement WLAN gameplay over Internet letting the DS connect to Wireless Router/Access Point.

Hi,

interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature.
If it's there we will include it. By now only the close range wireless
multiplayer functionality is planned.

regards
--

Manfred Linzner

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Deg said:
The screens are prerendered IMO. Or they could be fusing FMV for the backgrounds.

Regardless of the techniques being used, many many games today feature superior water effects. However, that does look very nice...nice enough that I don't believe it is realtime. Could be wrong, though...

Of course, as noted above, it could just be a static texture.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well I'm not so bothered about how useful it's going to be for other things, so much as the fact that developers are going to see it the same way as on the GC, ie. that gamers still have to buy something before getting online.

If Nintendo don't support it, the DS better get a Gameboy size userbase or I don't see the situation being much improved.

EDIT: Why don't we just email them about the graphics? They seem willing to answer everything else.

cybamerc

Kobun Heat said:
Hi,

regards
--

Manfred Linzner
And Nintendo isn't providing any support for online functionality. If 3. parties want they can do it themselves though. Not much different from PS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Better to be pleasently surprised than let down. The water in those screens looks better than what you see in many games running on the home consoles and set-top boxes today.
Consider that their previous shooters basically used pre-rendered FMV elements that they patched together to form the scenery. This *could* be doing the same thing. However, the screens are so damn small that it's just impossible to tell what kind of graphics quality is being used there. Almost everything looks much better when sized this small.

No it's clearly reflective and has specular highlights.
Yes, in that one picture. But it looks different in others. In that one picture reflection is really distorted, but you can't tell if the highlights are pre baked untill you see it in motion.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kobun Heat said:
Hi,

regards
--

Manfred Linzner

As I said, can they do it themselves if they wanted or do they need some kind of special access to the DS Hardware that Nintendo has not allowed yet ?

Mashing

How could Nintendo stop them from putting in online play if they wanted too? It's not like it's going to be using a proprietary wireless protocol or something to connect to the Internet (I'm aware of Nintendo's proprietary short range wireless communication in the DS).

looks like I was right:

Hi,

of course they indicate in-game quality.

We will shortly release more screenshoots.

best regards

Deg

Banned
Well backgrounds could be FMV like the Iridion series. DS has much more space to mess with so its entirely possible.

Well, English isn't this guy's first language. Let's not go too nuts analyzing his word choice.

Regardless of whether the final product offers online play, this is a very intriguing title. It looks really, really nice for a DS game, and offers some clues as to what developers are going to be able to choke out of the system in the future.

Society said:
There is no indication of a playable angle. Cinemas of the 'in-game' engine.
No 'indication' of one? The two shots on the right show a top down view of the ship. That looks like the gameplay right there. The two on the left look like cutscenes done with the in-game engine.

Mama Smurf said:
Is WLAN online? Is that what it means? I'm not sure on the terminology yet, that doesn't just mean wireless LAN, as in someone 30 feet away or whatever then?

Let's take a look at the other feature: online scoreboards.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mama Smurf said:
Don't you have to either have a wireless router at home or live in a hotspot? Isn't that even worst than the GC making you buy a broadband adapter separately?

For wireless internet access, yes, just like any 802.11x device, which the NDS can claim to be. But what the system ALSO has is a seperate wireless protocol for DS to DS gaming, you can presume it to be (until otherwise stated) the same wireless technology as in the GBA wireless adapter.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kobun Heat said:
But seriously, what's the advantage to having WLAN play when the DS already supports wireless linkup? A tiny bit more distance? Like, we can be in seperate rooms and play? I don't get why they'd bother if it wasn't for Internet play.
I didn't see this answered anywhere else above...yes, distance is slightly better with WLAN than the Nintendo proprietary wireless linkup but the more important difference is bandwidth - much more of it on offer through WLAN.

cybamerc said:
And Nintendo isn't providing any support for online functionality. If 3. parties want they can do it themselves though. Not much different from PS2.
Sony provides API for basic online functionality.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'm confused by the internet statement. But it's probably just my ignorance.

They're providing wireless internet access to a scoreboard, so what's keeping them from offering a p2p service as well? How much more strain would match-making put on their server? And why do they require Nintendo's support to make that happen?

Sony provides API for basic online functionality

Huh?

dark10x

Kobun Heat said:
No 'indication' of one? The two shots on the right show a top down view of the ship. That looks like the gameplay right there. The two on the left look like cutscenes done with the in-game engine.

Well, they probably are gameplay angles...and really, you could show any shot from Iridion and say "this indicates actual gameplay". However, that doesn't change the fact that those backgrounds were mostly pre-rendered affairs. It seems like that this is the case for Nanostray as well...and really, it doesn't matter as it looks good and fits the type of game well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Goreomedy said:
They're providing wireless internet access to a scoreboard, so what's keeping them from offering a p2p service as well? How much more strain would match-making put on their server? And why do they require Nintendo's support to make that happen?
Less upfront work, ongoing maintenance and expense required to maintain the integrity of a scoreboards database than to provide for full-on Internet game matchmaking and to provide for stable online p2p play code. It would help make this easier if Nintendo provided basic APIs for this but, if what the Shin'en rep is saying is accurate, Nintendo hasn't provided much in this way.

Not sure what you are confused about... ?

jarrod

Banned
Uh, where did Shin'en indicate Nintendo doesn't offer network APIs in their DS SDKs? Nintendo certainly won't offer the network itself but I'd imagine they'd provide the network tools (like on GameCube).

Just so you guys know, my original question was whether the screens were pre-rendered shots or indicative of the in-game quality. He could have easily said that they were pre-rendered at that point.

I'm impressed. Not so much by the game right now, but by the fact that the DS can churn out visuals like that.

dark10x

JasoNsider said:
Just so you guys know, my original question was whether the screens were pre-rendered shots or indicative of the in-game quality. He could have easily said that they were pre-rendered at that point.

I'm impressed. Not so much by the game right now, but by the fact that the DS can churn out visuals like that.

Uhh, by saying pre-rendered, that suggests that those shots were only renders. Those may be gameplay scenes, but that doesn't mean those backgrounds are actually rendered with realtime 3D. Like I said, Iridion 3D used a ton of pre-rendered elements and it could very well be the same thing here (probably is, actually).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The response Kobun got, jarrod:

Doesn't sound like they're offering much in the way of basic APIs for online play.

I already acknowledged the possibility that the accuracy of this statement is in question, so don't raise your hackles too high.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I thought it was very clear from the original description that they meant direct connections between 2 players within a certain distance of one another. You don't need a wireless hotspot with a connection to the outside world to have a WLAN. Two people connected wirelessly directly *is* a WLAN. A WLAN doesn't necessarily give you access to the net and other people beyond. It's local...Wireless *local* area connection. It's ad-hoc.

The infrastructure part comes with the ability to connect to wireless hotspots - they hope to use that for accessing scoreboards on the Net. But no online play is planned...just LAN play between people within the required radius of one another.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Doesn't sound like they're offering much in the way of basic APIs for online play.

I already acknowledged the possibility that the accuracy of this statement is in question, so don't raise your hackles too high.
Well, that seems up for varied interpretation. Given that they're apparently including an online scoreboard however makes me think Nintendo has indeed included online APIs... sounds more like they want actual network support than network programming support.

Greekboy

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Regardless of whether the final product offers online play, this is a very intriguing title. It looks really, really nice for a DS game, and offers some clues as to what developers are going to be able to choke out of the system in the future.

Agreed. The DS has me hard and my clit is tingling.

Panajev2001a said:
Does it ?

Shin'en was able to do their own Sound Engine, but did not implement WLAN gameplay over Internet letting the DS connect to Wireless Router/Access Point.

Is it because of time constraints or because the DS cureently cannot link up with HotSpots/Access Points for online play ?

Uhm...

Yes because those games on the PS2/Dreamcast/xbox/PC that only had internet scoreboard proved that out, right? =\

xsarien

daedsiluap
krypt0nian said:
Yes because those games on the PS2/Dreamcast/xbox/PC that only had internet scoreboard proved that out, right? =\

The fact that it's portable adds an entire new dynamic to the concept of online gaming.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Well, that seems up for varied interpretation. Given that they're apparently including an online scoreboard however makes me think Nintendo has indeed included online APIs... sounds more like they want actual network support than network programming support.
Apples and oranges in terms of the code required to pull off updates and views of a simple online database vs. online play. I wouldn't say that one necessarily predicts the other.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Anyway, it is a fine looking game. I wouldn't doubt for a second that these are actual NDS graphics. The machine has been surprising me in that regard as of late. From the smoothness of the graphics in the 'hurted heart' game, to the surprisingly realistic look of the pups in Nintendogs, and now the great arcade graphics of Nanostray. The DS is certainly going to be able to hold it's own in the graphics department. E3 was only a taste.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Apples and oranges in terms of the code required to pull off updates and views of a simple online database vs. online play. I wouldn't say that one necessarily predicts the other.
Sure but wouldn't it make more sense given that Nintendo's included some form of online API, not to mention LAN play toolsets? Your interpretation of "support of Nintendo for this feature" leaps to the absolute worst conclusion based off an emailer's secondary english, ignoring the similar/Related tools Nintendo's provided and their network API history on GameCube (they provide tools, not networks). Just seems to me like Nintendo not providing network gaming APIs is bit less likely than simply not giving Shin'en the network itself...

edit- In other words, exactly like PlayStation 2 and GameCube.

Color me insanely impressed, guys. I did a little digging after Dark's comments (thanks dark, you made a good point) and asked to clarify. My question was:

> Hi,

Thank you for the hasty response. Are the backgrounds in the game
full motion video similar to how Iridion worked, or are they real-time
3D? Many people are skeptical due to things like real-time reflections
in the water and think maybe it's just FMV. Thank you once again for
your time.

His answer:

Hi,

everything you see is real 3d. No animations in the background.

Of course the DS doesn't has pixelshader but with some programming you
can approximate effects like reflections very easy.

Well, most people were also sceptic when they saw the first Iridion2 pics and movies, so we are used to that :)

best regards

Wow....

GDGF

Soothsayer
Haha! See.

As it's been said time and time again by people more knowledgeable than me in such areas, with the NDS's natural graphical feature set and considering its screen size and native resolution, it should have no problem pumping out great looking games. Basicly, Nintendo knew exactly what they were doing with the hardware :)

AirBrian

JasoNsider said:
Color me insanely impressed, guys. I did a little digging after Dark's comments (thanks dark, you made a good point) and asked to clarify. My question was:

His answer:

Wow....
Nice. :)

Top Bottom