• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NDS: Nanostray

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
It's not the hardware. If someone wants to implement online play they can. They'll just have to figure it out themselves.

Deg

Banned
cybamerc said:
It's not the hardware. If someone wants to implement online play they can. They'll just have to figure it out themselves.

No. Its pretty clear in black and white.

If it's there we will include it.

Which backs up what Reggie was saying. You will be seeing ZERO online games on DS because its not possible. Internet enabled games is another thing.

IMO not good at all.

GDGF

Soothsayer
cybamerc said:
MusyX is not the standard sound solution for Cube or GBA. It has to be licensed. I guess we'll learn soon enough if MusyX is being ported to NDS. I know that some find it too resource demanding.

Really? I always thought it came with the dev kit. You learn something new everyday, I guess :)

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Really? I always thought it came with the dev kit. You learn something new everyday, I guess :)

I thought that was common knowledge. Factor 5 should be making tools for PSP and DS.

Makes no sense why Nintendo are locking online however. I thought they were going online and it was all but announced till they were ready. Turns out its for communication purposes which is very good and not tapped enough for consoles but why completely make online DS games not possible?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Deg said:
No. Its pretty clear in black and white.

Which backs up what Reggie was saying. You will be seeing ZERO online games on DS because its not possible. Internet enabled games is another thing.

IMO not good at all.

Read the entire email. They're saying if the support is there they will include it. The hardware is there, but they're a small dev house.

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Read the entire email. They're saying if the support is there they will include it. The hardware is there, but they're a small dev house.

Here it is:

Hi,

interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature.
If it's there we will include it. By now only the close range wireless
multiplayer functionality is planned.

regards
--

Manfred Linzner

Its simply not there. Dont expect any online games on the system EVER unless Nintendo change their mind very soon.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Deg said:
Here it is:

Its simply not there. Dont expect any online games on the system EVER unless Nintendo change their mind very soon.

Dude, I'm sorry, but I believe you're reading that all wrong.

Interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature. If it is there, we will include it

it is refering to the support of the big N, not the feature. They have final specs and whatnot by now. They would certainly know if the feature was included. No if's, and's or but's about it. What they don't know is if Nintendo will give them the necessary support to create such games. Like you said, it's right there in black and white :)

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Dude, I'm sorry, but I believe you're reading that all wrong.

Interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature. If it is there, we will include it

it is refering to the support of the big N, not the feature. They have final specs and whatnot by now. They would certainly know if the feature was included. No if's, and's or but's about it. What they don't know is if Nintendo will give them the necessary support to create such games. Like you said, it's right there in black and white :)

I think you're being overly optimistic here!

"interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature.
If it's there we will include it."

'If its there' means the function/property not Nintendo. By support he means that Nintendo DS doesnt support such a feature.

Face it there will be no online games on DS. A step down from GC.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm sorry guy, but like I said, you're reading that all wrong. It'll be par for the course. The GCN had a modem, but Nintendo didn't 'support the feature' (not trying to get into a semantical argument, but you know what I mean)

Now we have the DS, and although it is possible to make an internet enabled game, many companies wont do it unless they have some Xbox live kind of system of servers, because they can't afford to maintain that kind of system by themselves. He's saying at the moment they lack that kind of support from Nintendo. It's alot easier to maintain an online leaderboard than maintain servers for online gameplay (although both are possible)

Deg

Banned
Society said:
I can not believe you guys are dissecting the words of a person whose native language is not english.

well it makes sense when you read what Reggie had to say.

Lost Weekend said:
I'm sorry guy, but like I said, you're reading that all wrong. It'll be par for the course. The GCN had a modem, but Nintendo didn't 'support the feature' (not trying to get into a semantical argument, but you know what I mean)

Now we have the DS, and although it is possible to make an internet enabled game, many companies wont do it unless they have some Xbox live kind of system of servers, because they can't afford to maintain that kind of system by themselves. He's saying at the moment they lack that kind of support from Nintendo. It's alot easier to maintain an online leaderboard than maintain servers for online gameplay (although both are possible)

I dont think so. Reggie made it explicit wireless focus was on internet features and close proximity to other DS's. No wireless play 'across timezones' as he once said. Sounds like the hardware doesnt allow for online gaming according to what i am hearing.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Deg said:
well it makes sense when you read what Reggie had to say.

I dont think so. Reggie made it explicit wireless focus was on internet features and close proximity to other DS's. No wireless play 'across timezones' as he once said. Sounds like the hardware doesnt allow for online gaming.

Right. I'm not taking anything away from that. Reggie is right, because Nintendo won't be supporting anyone with online infrastructure or net code or anything of the sort. Therefor, by default, the features will focus on WLAN play. Online play is certainly possible, though, it'll just take a company setting up everything themselves, maintaining their own servers, charging what they want for online play, etc. It's going to be one hell of a hassle if your company doesn't have that kind of set up already. That is what is ment by no support from Nintendo. It's possible, yes. It'll happen, yes. It will be rare, though.

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Right. I'm not taking anything away from that. Reggie is right, because Nintendo won't be supporting anyone with online infrastructure or net code or anything of the sort. Therefor, by default, the features will focus on WLAN play.

Sure. Reggie made it sound like as if this is the hardware they are talking about.

Online play is certainly possible, though, it'll just take a company setting up everything themselves, maintaining their own servers, charging what they want for online play, etc. It's going to be one hell of a hassle if your company doesn't have that kind of set up already. That is what is ment by no support from Nintendo. It's possible, yes. It'll happen, yes. It will be rare, though.

I dont think it will ever happen. DS simply wont be online gaming capable whether anyone had the resources or not due to hardware.

GDGF

Soothsayer
We're running around in circles here. Let's just wait for clarification :)

(it'll give you time to reread that statement and see things my way ;))

Deg

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
We're running around in circles here. Let's just wait for clarification :)

(it'll give you time to reread that statement and see things my way ;))

I wonder if there is any one else who knows that can clarify this?

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Uhhh, Deg. . .the DS has the ability to go online via 802.11. That's a well known fact, here it is on nintendo's website:

Wireless: DS users will be able to connect with a local wireless network of up to 16 players. Nintendo's guaranteed range is 30 feet, but will extend far beyond that depending on circumstances. It assures high response rates required for real time game play, and will make use of both IEEE 802.11 and Nintendo's proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption. Players will be able to chat and play games without any connecting cords, completely untethered. The DS technology also provides for a wireless LAN connection, which could allow a theoretically infinite number of players to connect at a hot spot and compete at a central game hub on the Internet, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

http://www.nintendo.com/ds/overview.jsp

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
owned!!!111!.jpg

heidern

Heh, lets add a reading comprehension lesson too...

"interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature.
If it's there we will include it."

Can be also be phrased as:

If the support of Nintendo for this feature is there we will include it.

The DS has 802.11 which means it can connect to the internet at a hotspot or wireless lan which in turn means it can connect to other DSs that are also connected to the net. To have net play you also need the following 2 things:
1) Software to do this(which may require APIs from Nintendo, although a dev can work it out for themselves). Easy enough.
2) Server infrastructure. This costs a lot of money and is of course the big issue with online gaming in general, unless of course a p2p network is employed.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
heidern said:
Heh, lets add a reading comprehension lesson too...
2) Server infrastructure. This costs a lot of money and is of course the big issue with online gaming in general, unless of course a p2p network is employed.

IP browsers, an old technology that 99% of PC online games have been using, is pretty damn cheap, doesnt require big servers nor lots of money to implement, they let the users host the games and other players join them, the only thing the infrastructure does is know that IP x is hosting and allows z or y number of players to join, gets a request from IP m to join IP x and links them up.

Been done for years and is so cheap that some individuals even do it themselves or companies like gamespy offer it for free.

If 3rd parties want to make their games online, it wont be a problem, i cant think of a western dev that never touched IP browsers on PC or xbox/ps2 ones.

Deg

Banned
i admit defeat people. Reading the speech again made me realise i was wrong. Sorry for the trouble Lost Weekend

Top Bottom