• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NDS: Nanostray

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Another question to ask whenever you email, JasoN:

Will they take advantage of the 1 cart/multiple player feature? Or will they force us to buy two copies?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Gore I know this is coming from some random nobody on an internet messageboard but I'd have to wager that they wo;; continue the one cart multiplayer in some form. I'd be suprised actually if they didn't. Though it's rarely supported it'd be a step back in the publics eye if they did that.

andthebeatgoeson

I just wanted to say: It looks nice. Good improvement over the earlier demos. I'll start to sway away from my assertion that the PSP will shit all over this, if they can keep the games looking clean and these screens and the improvement from a few months ago over the old demos suggest that the DS has some tricks up it's sleeve.

Greekboy

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
I just wanted to say: It looks nice. Good improvement over the earlier demos. I'll start to sway away from my assertion that the PSP will shit all over this, if they can keep the games looking clean and these screens and the improvement from a few months ago over the old demos suggest that the DS has some tricks up it's sleeve.

Not to mention longer battery life and a cheaper launch price which ultimately matter to the mass consumers.

Agent X

This looks very good! I really enjoyed Iridion II on the GBA, and I even liked its predecessor. If I get a DS, then this would surely be on my shopping list.

Nester

I've been playing Iridion II at work today and I'm really glad to see that there is Battery Backup for Nanostray. The passwords in Iridion II are the only thing that I don't like about the game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Iridion 3D sucked, but Iridion II rocked. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time. Damn, those Shin'en bastards have talented musicians though...

andthebeatgoeson

Lisa Lashes said:
Not to mention longer battery life and a cheaper launch price which ultimately matter to the mass consumers.

I know that matters but I got this hunch that the sheep will flock to the pretty graphics if Sony does it right and just says, 'Look!' *shows a few clips* and posts a sub $200 price point.

AniHawk

skinnyrattler said:
I know that matters but I got this hunch that the sheep will flock to the pretty graphics if Sony does it right and just says, 'Look!' *shows a few clips* and posts a sub $200 price point.

Sub $200 price point?

I think Sony's going after the iPod market more than the Game Boy market.

andthebeatgoeson

I know it's funny but if they did, nobody could refuse. That's all I'm saying. Well, I would but that's a different story.

My point is, it's fuckin crazy to think about buying a portable for more than $200. Sony has got to know that. That's fuckin suicide. I can't imagine they'll be that dumb. Or maybe I'm just making ASSumptions.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"My point is, it's fuckin crazy to think about buying a portable for more than $200. Sony has got to know that. That's fuckin suicide. I can't imagine they'll be that dumb. Or maybe I'm just making ASSumptions."

i think the Japanese fan base will get it up the chuff (39,800 yen - 49,800 range) , in order to give a $299 and 299 GBP launch.

AniHawk

jarrod said:
DS~ $179.99 USD
PSP~ $299.99 USD

I wont be surprised if its $180, but I'd be disappointed.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the system is delayed into next year if we dont start getting more info SOON.

GDGF

Soothsayer
"You slowly come back to life in your spacecraft. It feels like you were unconscious only for seconds. Neverless you only have a vague idea of what has happenend. Frantic images loom in your mind without telling you anything you can decode by now. Slopped impressions of pain and humiliation cover your thoughts. Instinctively you look up to your console. Your board computer is still indicating a destination..."

Just coming back to the issue of the second screen...I would assume that one of the primary functions (judging by the implied importance of this passage) would be to issue the player ( through cinema screens during gameplay) flashbacks that slowly explain the backstory of your confused state. That, in combination with the hud like touchscreen commands that I suggested earlier in this thread, would be a pretty cool function.

Greekboy

Banned
AniHawk said:
$250 sounds reasonable.

I have to reconsider my DS price. I think Jarrod's $179.99 makes more sense now that I though about it but like you Anihawk that would also disappoint me too.

I hate waiting for the confirmed prices.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Eyes pop-out thinking how much money Sony would be losing per unit sold if they go with $250 price tag. To think that Pocket PCs with a fragment of technology that goes into PSP - sell for almost twice as much...

3phemeral

Goreomedy said:
Another question to ask whenever you email, JasoN:

Will they take advantage of the 1 cart/multiple player feature? Or will they force us to buy two copies?

Wouldn't that be a little difficult to pull off? Especially when you have to consider you'd have to transmit all of that information from just one source? I'm not entirely sure how fast DS LAN/Wireless capabilities are, but they'd have to send a ton of information and store it in RAM for that to work. Sure, the increased memory will help keep the games from being as simplistic as they were for the GBA 1-cart multiplayer, but considering that the newer games will likely feature upscaled graphics/game-mechanics, it'd be pretty much the same thing, just a little prettier. I doubt they'd be able to have any serious multiplayer options available if they decide to utilize the 1-cart multiplayer route.

AniHawk

Marconelly said:
Eyes pop-out thinking how much money Sony would be losing per unit sold if they go with $250 price tag. To think that Pocket PCs with a fragment of technology that goes into PSP - sell for almost twice as much...

Then how much do you think the PSP will cost?

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
Then how much do you think the PSP will cost?
I'd wager at $299 SCEA will actually be taking a slight loss... I think the huge screen is likely the most costly component, and that's not likely to drop in price as quickly as the chipset/casing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Don't sideswipe things by turning this into something personal.
It just NOW turned personal? You've been projecting onto me since the start of this and revealed your hand completely when you talked about me arriving at the "absolute worst conclusion". Generally, you're a little more objective than this.

That will most likely turn out inaccurate, thank you.

Well, when one throws out reaching evaluations they shouldn't be surprised when they get challenged.
Reggie seems to disagree...

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
It just NOW turned personal? You've been projecting onto me since the start of this and revealed your hand completely when you talked about me arriving at the "absolute worst conclusion". Generally, you're a little more objective than this.
We already how off target your interpretations tend to go, really there's no need to illustrate further....

kaching said:
Reggie seems to disagree...
Uh... I don't get it? :/

AniHawk

kaching said:
At this point, jarrod, I'm not surprised that you don't. Have a good evening.

Then explain it to me. I wanna know (just turned the channel on and missed almost all of the show :().

Here's the initial reply from that message I sent last night:

Hi,

we can't reveal too much about hardware because of the NDA with Nintendo.

However, i can tell you some things.

Sound Quality of the DS can even surpass CD quality. Nanostray will use
our DSX soundengine. If you ever heard what we pulled out of the GBA
with Iridion2 you can imagine what is possible on the DS. Compared to
Iridion2 we doubled the mixingrate (from 21khz to 44khz), doubled the
resolution (from 8bit to 16bit) and doubled the soundchannels from 8 to 16.

The DS Graphics hardware is VERY clean. With correct programming you
don't have any graphical glitches. In comparison to a N64 game there is
a much higher framerate (N64 had usually 20-30 frames, Nanostray has
60fps). N64 games used to have very blurry images due to a couple of
hardware drawbacks. Nanostray has high resolution textures and an
absolut crisp look.

Best regards

Interesting comment about the "with correct programming you don't have any graphical glitches." The frame-rate comment is really nice as well.

Cheers, guys.

Wow, from the sound of it DS may really suprise us with its graphical capabilities. Here's hoping we get some actual media from Nintendo in the coming weeks.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Well... someone at B3D also emailed them and there's no filtering so Sony fanboys still have their ammo (eventhough oddly IQ was never an issue before PSP).

Looking forward to some better screens though.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Title:
Nanostray
Genre/Type:
3D-Shoot'em up
Hardware:
Nintendo DS
Game size:
10 levels
Features:
Wireless 2 Player Mode
WLAN Internet Highscore
Battery Backup
Publisher:
Majesco
release-date:
Q1/2005

Hehe, they updated the info box.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybamerc said:
(eventhough oddly IQ was never an issue before PSP).

That isn't "odd" at all. Handheld 2D games are generally small enough that there could not possibly BE any IQ problems to complain about. 3D is finally coming into play, so there is obviously going to be a shift in how people analyze handheld visuals. It isn't the PSP, it's the shift to 3D for handhelds...

cybamerc

dark10x said:
Handheld 2D games are generally small enough that there could not possibly BE any IQ problems to complain about.
I was thinking more in terms of PS1 and PS2.

Nothing bettter than a good shooter for the first games.

I hope these developers make it well, but a wlan conectivity looks promising.

I want to see gameplay screens indeed

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
cybamerc said:
I was thinking more in terms of PS1 and PS2.

...but it was an issue. PSOne was KNOWN for having absolutely AWFUL image quality and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who disagreed with that. Of course, all three of the core systems had awful image quality last gen. Saturn was even worse than PSX in most cases while N64 was just a blurry mess. All three were flawed.

PS2 is also well known for having inconsistant image quality, but that generally refers to screen resolution more than anything. It isn't as if PS2 games are suddenly lacking any sort of texture filtering or something.

The image quality complaints aimed at the DS have little in common with the PS2. People are complaining about different things...and those complaints really are valid.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
dark10x said:
Why do you say that?

Because some people see the DS has a souped GBA even though it's more akin to an N64. Maybe this kind of power for a handheld is a little to late (too year ago would have been a perfect timing with a GBA released in 1998)

Meanwhile I think the PSP is maybe too powerful for an 2004/2005 handheld. I would have wait after the PS3 release to launch and use the scalable CELL cpu that cost me a few billions $$$ to make.

And I don't know whyI said that. (maybe i'm bored)

^^ all those are IMHO :)

edit : and with that i turn this thread into another DS Vs. PSP and i dont want to. :(

cybamerc

dark10x said:
...but it was an issue.
Nothing that kept you from those platforms. Fact of the matter is that this is the first time Sony fanboys have made a stink about IQ.

Top Bottom