• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NDS: Nanostray

cybamerc said:
Nothing that kept you from those platforms. Fact of the matter is that this is the first time Sony fanboys have made a stink about IQ.

At the sametime, it seems IQ isn't as big of a deal for people it once was important for. It goes both ways.

nitewulf

Milhouse31 said:
Meanwhile I think the PSP is maybe too powerful for an 2004/2005 handheld. I would have wait after the PS3 release to launch and use the scalable CELL cpu that cost me a few billions $$$ to make.

gaming technology can never be too powerful, yeah? i mean this is why i appreciate sony's entry, because psp is in a completely different league. nintendo would have taken 5 more years to give us similar technology.

i think psp will cost $300, but they really should bite the bullet and make it $250.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
SolidSnakex:

> At the sametime, it seems IQ isn't as big of a deal for people it once was important for.
> It goes both ways.

Not really. I don't think any Nintendo fan would deny that texture filtering would be a nice addition but at the same time I think it's important to have realistic expectations. The NDS is going to be sold at a mass market price and as such something will have to give. And despite what some detractors claim Nintendo has made it clear that the focus of NDS is 2d... a couple of 3d games and tech demos don't change that.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
nitewulf said:
gaming technology can never be too powerful, yeah? i mean this is why i appreciate sony's entry, because psp is in a completely different league. nintendo would have taken 5 more years to give us similar technology.

i think psp will cost $300, but they really should bite the bullet and make it $250.

I'd say gaming technology can never be too powerful in the living room but handhelds have too balance power/battery consummation.

There is also the price factor. Handheld are supposed to be cheaper than their big brother but since Sony is trying to create/capture a new market it's not the N°1 issue.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Then how much do you think the PSP will cost?
I have no idea. I'm a bit afraid to think about it, to tell you the truth :p

I just cannot see the technology going in it, realistically costing anything less than $600-$700. Then again, I'm basing that off the Pocket PC and other business handheld prices, which for all I know, might be highly overpriced to begin with.

It's just that, in my experience, bleeding edge tech is always crazy expensive, but that might be more because of manufacturers wanting to make big buck quickly on early adopters, than the cost of actual technology and manufacturing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nothing that kept you from those platforms. Fact of the matter is that this is the first time Sony fanboys have made a stink about IQ.

You obviously don't know me very well, then. I adopted the PSX very late in the game, and only because it was given to me. I was rather anti-console for a while...and, sadly, visuals were a major part of my argument (I mean, when you saw PSX Tomb Raider and compared it to the 3DFX or PowerVR version, it was hard to believe that ANYONE could stand playing it on PSX). During most of the PSX's life, I was a PC gamer...of course, I later learned that the games themselves are more important than the hardware and was able to enjoy some PSX titles. That wasn't until 1999...which was the year that pushed me back into console gaming (after being away since the Genesis). Really, it was the Dreamcast that brought me back (as I was a big Sega fan from the Genesis days). I promptly bought a Saturn and tons of games for that while I awaited the arrival of Dreamcast. :)

I've always disliked PS2's image quality, but it was the first system to really show me how polished games could be. Obviously, that had more to do with the developers than the actual hardware...but you better believe I was blown away by some of the stuff PS2 was doing. The Bouncer, while certainly not a good game, truly looked beyond anything I had ever seen before. :p

So, don't try and suggest that I ignored the flaws of the PSX...because I certainly did not. I'm disappointed in the hardware flaws of the DS, however, but that doesn't mean I won't give the system a shot.

And despite what some detractors claim Nintendo has made it clear that the focus of NDS is 2d

THAT confuses me...

I was watching the live conference when DS was revealed to the public, and the very first games they showed running on the DS were, you guessed it, 3D games! The majority of the DS games thus far seem to be 3D...so I'm not entirely certain where you got the idea that it was created with 2D in mind.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Handheld are supposed to be cheaper than their big brother but since Sony is trying to create/capture a new market it's not the N°1 issue.
Yeah, I mean handhelds costing less than the 'big brother' is an effect localized solely on the Gameboy world. Everywhere else, miniaturization comes at cost. Laptops, Palm/Pocket PCs, tiny 5/6Mpixel cameras.... When you get the same/simillar functionality from the handheld that you get from the 'big brother' it's clear that you are expected to pay more for that.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Marconelly said:
I just cannot see the technology going in it, realistically costing anything less than $600-$700.

I'd say around $450 for the manufacturing with Sony selling it at $300 maximum in the State.

edit

Marconelly : That's why I said price is not the main factor. Sony is trying a new thing in the handheld market (powerful tech for big price). Will it work ? Let's wait and see

dark10x

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I mean handhelds costing less than the 'big brother' is an effect localized solely on the Gameboy world. Everywhere else, miniaturization comes at cost. Laptops, Palm/Pocket PCs, tiny 5/6Mpixel cameras.... When you get the same/simillar functionality from the handheld that you get from the 'big brother' it's clear that you are expected to pay more for that.

Exactly. The Gameboy is one of the ONLY exceptions to this rule. Smaller technology almost always costs much less.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
dark10x said:
Exactly. The Gameboy is one of the ONLY exceptions to this rule. Smaller technology almost always costs much less.

And the Gameboy brand is one of the most ( if not the number one ) successful handheld product in the world.

Maybe there is a correlation :p

cybamerc

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I mean handhelds costing less than the 'big brother' is an effect localized solely on the Gameboy world.
Nonsense. Nintendo is merely being cost conscious when designing its handhelds. The Game Boy line is not state of the art technology and can be sold at mass market prices as a result of that.

dark10x

Milhouse31 said:
And the Gameboy brand is one of the most ( if not the number one ) successful handheld product in the world.

Maybe there is a correlation :p

DS lacks the Gameboy branding, doesn't it? I wonder if that will make any difference...

ge-man

Milhouse31 said:
I'd say around $450 for the manufacturing with Sony selling it at $300 maximum in the State.

edit

Marconelly : That's why I said price is not the main factor. Sony is trying a new thing in the handheld market (powerful tech for big price). Will it work ? Let's wait and see

Many seemed to laugh at the idea that neither machine was competing against each other, but it's clear pricing will put the PSP in another realm. Its competition is other high tech gadgets like PDAs, MP3 players, and portable movie players.

nitewulf

yeah but gameboy has never been similar technology, it was always behind. thats why it was cheap. psp on the other hand isnt lagging tech wise. however, they cant ask gamers to pay 500/600 bucks. that would be suicide.

Floyd

dark10x said:
You obviously don't know me very well, then. I adopted the PSX very late in the game, and only because it was given to me. I was rather anti-console for a while...and, sadly, visuals were a major part of my argument (I mean, when you saw PSX Tomb Raider and compared it to the 3DFX or PowerVR version, it was hard to believe that ANYONE could stand playing it on PSX). During most of the PSX's life, I was a PC gamer...of course, I later learned that the games themselves are more important than the hardware and was able to enjoy some PSX titles. That wasn't until 1999...which was the year that pushed me back into console gaming (after being away since the Genesis). Really, it was the Dreamcast that brought me back (as I was a big Sega fan from the Genesis days). I promptly bought a Saturn and tons of games for that while I awaited the arrival of Dreamcast. :)

I've always disliked PS2's image quality, but it was the first system to really show me how polished games could be. Obviously, that had more to do with the developers than the actual hardware...but you better believe I was blown away by some of the stuff PS2 was doing. The Bouncer, while certainly not a good game, truly looked beyond anything I had ever seen before. :p

So, don't try and suggest that I ignored the flaws of the PSX...because I certainly did not. I'm disappointed in the hardware flaws of the DS, however, but that doesn't mean I won't give the system a shot.

Cool. That was nice because i learned about some geek and his personal preference.

Even though its irrelevant to anyone other than yourself and proves nothing, it was still so very interesting. Nice one.

wazoo

Marconelly said:
I have no idea. I'm a bit afraid to think about it, to tell you the truth :p

I just cannot see the technology going in it, realistically costing anything less than $600-$700. Then again, I'm basing that off the Pocket PC and other business handheld prices, which for all I know, might be highly overpriced to begin with.

LAst time we got a console with the same business plan as a Pocket PC was the 3DO. It launched at 600$ because manufacter was not gaining royalties from games. The year after, psx launched at half the price with better technology but with a royalty oriented business plan. From this, it is clear, PSP will not cost as much as a PDA, because money can come from others sources than the hardware alone.

But, maybe it is just hype from you ;) "OMG, it can not cost less than 600$", then "OMG, it cost only 300$, what a bargain ;)

Many seemed to laugh at the idea that neither machine was competing against each other, but it's clear pricing will put the PSP in another realm. Its competition is other high tech gadgets like PDAs, MP3 players, and portable movie players.

PSP is more a threat to all those WMA movie player (and later in its life to the gameboy brand). Nice strategy.

dark10x

Floyd said:
Cool. That was nice because i learned about some geek and his personal preference.

Even though its irrelevant to anyone other than yourself and proves nothing, it was still so very interesting. Nice one.

Well, cybamerc essentially accused me of ignoring the flaws of the PSX...and it got a little personal. :p Considering our constant run-ins, I figured I would set the record straight in order to avoid any future mis-understanding.

I'm confident that the PSP's price is going to be very attractive considering the technology inside it. That said, $199 = no. $249 = absolute best case scenario, but still no. $299 = much more likely.

By the way, in reference to the DS and where it's being "positioned" as a system. I don't believe for a second that the DS itself was a "kneejerk reaction" to the PSP (despite what certain designers of the "Xboy" said before E3). What I do believe, after the press conference, is that the decision to put 3D titles like Metroid Prime: Hunters up at the forefront was a reaction to the fact that the PSP would be there. I wouldn't even be shocked if Hunters was developed as a reaction to the PSP.

(Watch how I cleanly get back on topic.)

The introduction of Nanostray further closes the gap between NDS and PSP. At first, there was a wide gulf between the two systems. That's because as far as we knew there was no such thing as the NDS. Then Nintendo's system was announced, and the gap shortened, but it was still widely assumed that the system wouldn't do anything resembling modern 3D. Then it was shown off at E3 and suddenly it pushed 3D a lot harder than people expected. Then comes Nanostray and the 3D just gets better.

I mean... there's still a big difference between the two systems. It just keeps getting smaller, and less significant.

Kobun Heat said:
I mean... there's still a big difference between the two systems. It just keeps getting smaller, and less significant.

If you like you can use this ;)

gba-movieplayer5.jpg

J/K :)

Greekboy

Banned
JasoNsider said:
Interesting comment about the "with correct programming you don't have any graphical glitches." The frame-rate comment is really nice as well.

Cheers, guys.

Sweet. Anything on wheter it is front or backlit yet?

"I mean... there's still a big difference between the two systems. It just keeps getting smaller, and less significant."

I'm sure that'll change come TGS since we haven't saw a new PSP game since E3. It's still fairly significant when you look at basically every other 3D DS game in comparison to the PSP games shown so far.

Milhouse31 said:
I'd say gaming technology can never be too powerful in the living room but handhelds have too balance power/battery consummation.

There is also the price factor. Handheld are supposed to be cheaper than their big brother but since Sony is trying to create/capture a new market it's not the N°1 issue.

I agree with this part "I'd say gaming technology can never be too powerful in the living room but handhelds have too balance power/battery consummation."

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm sure that'll change come TGS since we haven't saw a new PSP game since E3.
You mean besides Talkman? :p

There were also updated builds of AC Formula Front and Ren-Goku shown off. In fact we've seen more PSP media post E3 than DS so far...

AirBrian

The DS Graphics hardware is VERY clean. With correct programming you
don't have any graphical glitches. In comparison to a N64 game there is
a much higher framerate (N64 had usually 20-30 frames, Nanostray has
60fps). N64 games used to have very blurry images due to a couple of
hardware drawbacks. Nanostray has high resolution textures and an
absolut crisp look.
This is very positive. Now imagine what Nintendo will do with this. :)

BTW, thanks for posting this, Jason.

Jacobi

Banned
AirBrian said:
Probably the same as with the GC hardware :p
But I also find this very positive. If you look how the GBA is being maxed out, there'll be some real hot DS graphics I think (and you'll be even able to play it for a while ;)).

AirBrian said:

BTW, thanks for posting this, Jason.

Hey, no problem Brian.

I imagine that if Shin'en can do it (no graphical "glitches") then they will not be the last developer. We need bigger screens though, just be positive.

Kobun Heat said:
Especially since Shin'en is in the business of licensing out its technology.

Good point. Read the part about the sound as well...they can get better than CD quality sound. That is very nice to hear. Imagine the music coming out Crystal Chronicles DS...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Isn't 16 bits at 44 KHz what is normally known as CD quality sound ?

To say the truth, they have space for more data if they really wanted to focus on sound quality: they can follow what PlayStation 2 does with SPU2 and go to 16 bits at 48 KHz.

dark10x

JasoNsider said:
Good point. Read the part about the sound as well...they can get better than CD quality sound. That is very nice to hear. Imagine the music coming out Crystal Chronicles DS...

Now THAT is not something I have high hopes for...

I will remain VERY skeptical about the sound until I hear it for myself. Shin'en's GBA games had some of the best audio on that system, so I am not suprised that they are doing good work...but the vast majority of GBA games so FAR worse.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, but it looks like Shin'en is the only company out there offering a sound solution for the NDS (and I'll bet Nintendo chose them for a reason, remember those rumors about Nintendo not allowing a third party sound solution , but immediately after, Shin'en said that they weren't affected?)

If this is the official sound tool, I don't think we have anything to worry about.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jacobi said:
Or maybe Factor5 did the official sound tool

Either way, we're in good hands. Both companies kick ass, music wise. We know for a fact that Shin'en is offering their NDS sound tools for sale, though.

cybamerc

Lost Weekend:

> remember those rumors about Nintendo not allowing a third party sound solution

Most likely BS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Most likely, but it would make for one hell of a conspiracy theory (and it would be good for Shin'en and the overall sound quality of NDS games)

Mashing

nitewulf said:

I agree somewhat... GAMING technology can never be too powerful... however, battery tech is still in the early 90's as far as I'm concerned.

cybamerc

Lost Weekend said:
Most likely, but it would make for one hell of a conspiracy theory (and it would be good for Shin'en and the overall sound quality of NDS games)
Shin'en's sound engine has to be licensed through Shin'en. It's not a standard tool and it's not handled by Nintendo either like Factor 5's MusyX is.

GDGF

Soothsayer
cybamerc said:
Shin'en's sound engine has to be licensed through Shin'en. It's not a standard tool and it's not handled by Nintendo either like Factor 5's MusyX is.

I know. I said earlier that it was a third party solution. What I want to know, though, is who did the official sound tools and drivers for the NDS. No one's really talked about that. I suppose it could be Nintendo proper, as I guess we would have heard from somewhere if Factor 5 was involved at all.

And I still find it odd that only Shin'en has a third party sound solution.

dark10x

Lost Weekend said:
Eh? I thought the Rogue games sounded great! Probably the SW fanboy in me.

They sounded like cheap MIDI versions of the original songs...

You can do very realistic sounding music without using pre-recording digital music tracks. I mean, listen to something like Onimusha...the quality of the music is EXTREMELY high, but it doesn't use pre-recorded tunes. On the disc, the entire soundtrack only required about 25-30mb of space.

Factor 5's music system worked very well for N64, where space was a serious concern...but on GC, it just seems like a waste. I am quite a game music fan, so I listen to a LOT of soundtracks...and I found the actual music quality of the two GC F5 games to be rather poor. I just don't understand the purpose behind it...

cybamerc

Lost Weekend:

> What I want to know, though, is who did the official sound tools and drivers for the NDS.

Nintendo as usual I reckon.

> I suppose it could be Nintendo proper, as I guess we would have heard from
> somewhere if Factor 5 was involved at all.

MusyX is not the standard sound solution for Cube or GBA. It has to be licensed. I guess we'll learn soon enough if MusyX is being ported to NDS. I know that some find it too resource demanding.

> And I still find it odd that only Shin'en has a third party sound solution.

Well, the platform isn't even out yet and who offered 3. party solutions besides F5 and Shin'en for GBA?

Deg

Banned
i,

interplay does depend on the support of Nintendo for this feature.
If it's there we will include it. By now only the close range wireless
multiplayer functionality is planned.

regards
--

Manfred Linzner

There you go. That and Reggie's comments prove that DS will not be capable of realtime online games. Sounds like Nintendo limited the hardware so noone can go online.

Top Bottom