• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly half the world prefers instant coffee; Australians the most, US the least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Log4Girlz

Okay, in all seriousness, if you're choosing to heat water on a stove in a pot it will take way longer to boil than choosing to use an electric kettle. My kettle is pretty average. It boils 500ml of water in about two or two and a half minutes at most. And you can boil well over a litre in most kettles, which is useful for when you have quite a few people over and there is much tea and coffee to make.

And don't quote me on this as I am not mad enough to try it, but I'm pretty sure boiling water using a microwave is both very inefficient and still takes quite a bit of time?

Plus, if you're boiling water on the stove you should be doing it in a stove kettle anyway, because they contain heat better and as such boil the water faster. And they make a cool whistling sound when they have boiled the water, which is pleasingly retro.

We still don't give a fuck about kettles. I've never, ever known anyone who owns a kettle and I'm in a pretty diverse community.

lenovox1

Okay, in all seriousness, if you're choosing to heat water on a stove in a pot it will take way longer to boil than choosing to use an electric kettle. My kettle is pretty average. It boils 500ml of water in about two or two and a half minutes at most. And you can boil well over a litre in most kettles, which is useful for when you have quite a few people over and there is much tea and coffee to make.

So can a microwave.

And don't quote me on this as I am not mad enough to try it, but I'm pretty sure boiling water using a microwave is both very inefficient and still takes quite a bit of time?

Microwave work by directly interacting with and "exciting" water and fat molecules.

For instance, if boiling water was inefficient in a microwave, frozen meals would take more time to cook in the microwave than in a conventional oven.

Dead Man

So can a microwave.

Microwave work by directly interacting with and "exciting" water and fat molecules.

Which doesn't really answer their question :)

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/ask-pablo-electric-kettle-stove-or-microwave-oven.html

Apparently electric kettles win on time and energy.

Edit:
Although this article makes the good point that you can heat a single mug in the microwave
http://justlocal3106.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/cost-to-make-cuppa-in-using-electric.html

Sakura

So can a microwave.

Does the microwave know how long to boil whatever amount of water you put in, and stop once it is sufficiently hot? Does the container that holds the water not get hot as hell? Don't tell me you make instant noodles in the microwave too now.

Which doesn't really answer their question :)

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/ask-pablo-electric-kettle-stove-or-microwave-oven.html

Apparently electric kettles win on time and energy.

Edit:
Although this article makes the good point that you can heat a single mug in the microwave
http://justlocal3106.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/cost-to-make-cuppa-in-using-electric.html

The internet also has a fancy graph! I like graphs!

fpGCShM.gif

TheYanger

Electric kettles arent' common, but regular ass kettles? absolutely. I've never met someone that heats water in a microwave.

On the flipside, any coffee drinker in america has a fucking coffee maker/coffee pot too.

Also, all of these 'stove' comparisons...half of the information there seems to think we're just boiling it in pots? I mean, yeah if you don't own a kettle I guess you could, but stuff like 'If it doesn't have a lid' doesn't really apply to kettles like most of us use. I boil water ina couple minutes all the time in that thing.

2 thoughts on this thread:

1) Kettles not being a thing in America is totally mindblowing.

2) GAF really does have a disproportionate number of Australians for such a small country.

danilark

I believe I read once that the lack of electric kettles in America is partly due to differences in voltage. It would take a lot longer to boil water in one there, than in Australia for example.

Australia actually has one of the best coffee cultures in the world, but it's based around espresso (which is why starbucks is looked down upon here). People only drink instant at home due to the convenience of an electric kettle. Most would choose a decent espresso based coffee over instant if given the choice.

kettles are super common, at least where I grew up in the midwest

definitely not electric kettles, though.... I don't think I've ever even seen one for sale let alone in someone's house

lenovox1

Does the microwave know how long to boil whatever amount of water you put in, and stop once it is sufficiently hot? Does the container that holds the water not get hot as hell? Don't tell me you make instant noodles in the microwave too now.

Depends. Most modern microwaves have moisture sensors and automatic settings, but not all.

Depends. The containers conductive properties dictate that. Glass, yes. Plastic, depends on your heat tolerance.

I don't eat those too often. But I've got a gas range, so it doesn't take long for 2 cups (or half a litter) of water to boil in a covered saucepan either way.

moggio

Banned
In a blind taste test I bet most of the coffee snobs on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between instant coffee and the freshly brewed shite anyway.

laoni

I have instant at home, and when I want a treat, I get a coffee from the cafe

Unfortunately, it's stupid expensive. A small flat white is $3.80, while a large is $4.50. Marshmellows are 20c each, and if you want anything fancy, then the price can definitely go over $6 if you go large.

EDIT: Also, you guys are weird for not having electric kettles. Weird I tells ya! I couldn't live without mine

moggio

Banned
They don't have sandwich toasters either.

What kind of place is this?! Imagine waking up peckish for a cheesy and baked bean toasty but you were unable to make one. The horror!

In a blind taste test I bet most of the coffee snobs on here wouldn't be able to tell the difference between instant coffee and the freshly brewed shite anyway.

HAHAHAHAHA. Have you ever even had a coffee? Instant is completely and unmistakably different.

dejay

Banned

I actually prefer instant to a drip coffee. Drip coffee is pretty much burnt, weak tasting to my palette. Instant isn't much better, but I generally put in a couple of spoon fulls, black, no sugar; instant bitterness + caffeine.

Until the '80s, the majority of Australia drank tea, hence the kettle culture.

lenovox1

Comparing, say, the ground and the instant varieties of Folgers Classic Roast? I'd hope so, for Folgers sake. Comparing what they normally drink to Nescafe? Well...

Sakura

Also, all of these 'stove' comparisons...half of the information there seems to think we're just boiling it in pots? I mean, yeah if you don't own a kettle I guess you could, but stuff like 'If it doesn't have a lid' doesn't really apply to kettles like most of us use. I boil water ina couple minutes all the time in that thing.

But if you have an old fashioned 17th century kettle, why not just get an electric kettle? I just can't envision why you would use them instead. It's not like electric kettles are cost prohibitive or take up any more room.

I'm lazy as hell but isn't Instant Coffee really expensive compared to the regular one? The proces is nearly as time consuming but you have to clean after wards. Is instant Coffee good?

I havent bought it because is really expensive.

You can get decent instant coffee. I mean, maybe not where you live.

Even the worst instant coffee is better than anything you get in Starbucks.

There is some decent instant coffee, true. But by and large the difference is pretty stark (especially since I like my coffee black with no sugar).

I don't know, I'd wager a quid you couldn't tell the difference.

What's a quid? Jokes, jokes.

But really, I'm not a coffee snob by any means. I read the "tasting notes" on different beans and roll my eyes. But I generally choose no coffee at all over instant!

[Fugo]

World keeps losing good taste, nothing new.
It's a sad sign of times, life is getting more and more frenetic, and this is going at the expense of doing things properly.

dejay

Banned
[Fugo];121250932 said:
World keeps losing good taste, nothing new.
It's a sad sign of times, life is getting more and more frenetic, and this is going at the expense of doing things properly.

Did you see the growth graph? Most of the regions mentioned had higher growth for fresh over instant.

8Q8pord.png

elfinke

Can tell the difference easily, but not because one is necessarily worse than the other. Instant (whether it's trashy powder like International Roast, or a more refined Moccona or Nescafe or Harris or whatever your local equivalent is) has a different taste to fresh ground beans, simple as that.

Sakura

I'm lazy as hell but isn't Instant Coffee really expensive compared to the regular one? The proces is nearly as time consuming but you have to clean after wards. Is instant Coffee good?

I havent bought it because is really expensive.

Well, it probably depends where you live. But I could buy 200g for like 3 dollars back home. That's probably about 20 cups worth of coffee.
Not sure what you have to clean up after wards.

Zissou

Instant coffee tastes like garbage. I used to drink it occasionally out of desperation at work where it was the only thing available, but it would (every so often) trigger a brain-splittingly terrible migraine headache. I don't trust that shit at all.

lenovox1

True that.

I only do instant cause I don't have a coffee machine.

Not to pick on you, but I just can't get over that folks with kettles don't just put ground coffee in a coffee filter, and tie that filter up, and brew it just like they'd brew tea. Some brands have even done all the "work" for ya.

Well, it probably depends where you live. But I could buy 200g for like 3 dollars back home. That's probably about 20 cups worth of coffee.
Not sure what you have to clean up after wards.

With the instant one nothing, with regular one. The machine or device you use to make the coffee.

P. Fembot

Banned
This is crazy.

As an Australian, my city is full of coffee joints and baristas and snobbery about coffee.

I am pretty much aghast that Australia is reported to love instant coffee. Is this a reputable study?! Cray cray

lazygecko

How can you not have an electric kettle? It's immensely practical for things other than tea and instant coffee. If I need to boil some water for cooking I always heat it up in the kettle first before pouring it in the pot. It's faster than just boiling in the pot from the start.

P. Fembot

Banned
Yeah sorry, I'm not trusting a euromonitor market research study or whatever.

I will bet my face that actually, Australians drink less instant coffee than Americans.

way more

You can get decent instant coffee. I mean, maybe not where you live.

Even the worst instant coffee is better than anything you get in Starbucks.

Great defense. "Haha, we have shit taste, but your shit taste is shittier than our instant shit. "

I'm 38 years old and have never had a coffee. I figure why start now, lol.

Great contribution. I don't know jack shit, let me tell you how little shit I know. lol

How can you not have an electric kettle? It's immensely practical for things other than tea and instant coffee. If I need to boil some water for cooking I always heat it up in the kettle first before pouring it in the pot. It's faster than just boiling in the pot from the start.

Why waste space with a kettle when you already have a Microwave?

lenovox1

Yeah sorry, I'm not trusting a euromonitor market research study or whatever.

I will bet my face that actually, Australians drink less instant coffee than Americans.

That may actually be the case due to Australians drinking far less coffee than Americans do.

But you guys buy more of the instant stuff at the grocery store than you buy coffee beans while Americans have polar opposite grocery store coffee buying habits.

They don't drink tea. If you ask for tea in a restaurant in the USA you are apparently most likely to get a teabag and some luke warm water.

laoni

Also, FWIW, I was always taught that heating water in a microwave could be unsafe, because the water had the potential to explode all over you when you put sugar in

Jacobi

Banned
I don't have any money for anything other than instant coffee :(
Yeah, I'd also like this freshly brewed stuff the people in the diamond houses are drinking*

*or at my parents' house ;)

Dead Man

Great defense. "Haha, we have shit taste, but your shit taste is shittier than our instant shit. "

Great contribution. I don't know jack shit, let me tell you how little shit I know. lol

Great contribution. 'You posts are shit'

Sometimes I get sick of the characters.

acm2000

is this based solely on instant coffee sales? if so thats a horrible way to do it.

we have instant coffee at home, but also a burr grinder, filter machine, espresso machine and cafeteries and much prefer the proper stuff when there is time for it

US American here.

I don't drink coffee often, but if I do it's going to be meeting with the boss or a client and it sure as shit isn't going be instant. In fact I only drink coffee socially. I can't think of any time I've ever drank coffee or tea by myself.

On the flipside, as a fat American, I will totally chug down instant hot cocoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom