• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly half the world prefers instant coffee; Australians the most, US the least

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The worst coffee I've ever seen is this shit:

W2HWlnZ.png

Absolute pretentiousness and uselessness in a worst-of-both-worlds package: the speed of drip coffee combined with the meh taste of three-in-one instant packs. When I see people at work hogging a water machine to fill... wait... fill... wait... fill... wait (and so on) one of these I don't know whether to laugh at them or ask them if it's really too hard for them to make proper coffee. But hey, it makes them look "special", so I'll let them enjoy that "special" feeling in the morning whilst they wait longer for worse coffee.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't necessarily think sales and popularity correlate like that. I'm an Australian and I drink a metric shit-ton of instant coffee, but I still prefer high-end coffees - they're just a) more expensive, and b) more time demanding.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I can stomach Nespresso as far as instant coffee goes, but if you give me a choice, I'll take fresh brew everytime anytime.

Starbucks Via instant coffee is pretty good for instant coffee. I've been getting it for a few years now. If you buy it on Amazon it's like half the price, too, which works out to about $0.40/cup. If you drink it every day that's a pretty good cost savings vs. going to the store.

The Via instant iced coffee is also great if you're making a coffee flavored frozen alcoholic drink and don't want to make a whole pot of coffee.

Does Kuerig type systems count as instant coffee? Also, do Nespresso systems count as instant coffee?

4137Iq3X0xL._SY300_.jpg

Nespresso is everywhere around Europe. It's popular in the US but not nearly as popular as Europe... I have this one, the Lattissima line from Delonghi and Nespresso. Makes a very good espresso, has a milk steamer and frother, and is self cleaning... but the coffee comes in tiny nespresso pods.
I have that one, too. :D

I like how the article assumes Americans are getting more picky about coffee. That may be true in LA or NYC or whatever, but the numbers on those charts are most likely a result of homes and diners and workplaces around the country having just one type of coffee apparatus: the drip coffee machine. So when asked if they drink instant coffee, most people would reply, "No, I make it with loosr grinds, in a machine," even though there's probably little difference between that and mixing some Nescafe in hot water.

It's an American tradition, passed down from generation to generation, despite the nasty taste.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm not a big fan of the French press, TBH. I have a fancy one that's a real conversation starter, but the solid remains of the ground are a bit too much.

Sakura

I'm Canadian, and I don't own a kettle because it has no value. If I need boiling water, I use a pot.
Obviously not every single Canadian owns one. I'm sure there are Canadians out there that don't have microwaves either.
Not sure how you can say it has no value. The value is the convenience and efficiency compared to traditional methods. Yes you can use a pot to boil water. You could also bake bread the traditional way, but that doesn't mean a bread maker has no value. And when you consider how inexpensive electric kettles are it is no wonder so many people own one.

J-Rod

I can't believe there are people claiming you can't tell the difference and even some saying that it taste better. I don't consider myself a coffee snob by any stretch, but that is just plain sad.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The "There are no kettles in America!?" threads are never not entertaining. I do have an electric kettle myself but it gets barely any use. I have no fewer than 4 different devices to make coffee, though, and they all get used on a weekly basis at least.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I've never even considered trying instant coffee (US). Drip machines are so cheap and quick that I always have one in my office. Makes the room smell great and makes an acceptable brew.

old

I buy local fresh roasted beans from artisan roasters and only grind what I need when I brew. It's a few extra step and hassle but I hate bitterness and harshness in my coffee. This is the only method I've found so far for getting a smooth non-bitter non-harsh cup of coffee. If they make instant coffee without bitterness and harshness then I'd be willing to try it.

Big-E

The reason for it is that developing countries like China only have instant coffee in their supermarkets so they don't know any better.

When I lived in Bangkok, all of the street coffee stands would mix up some Nescafe, add sweetened condensed milk and it would be god-tier good. Then again, at fucking 7-11 they would brew espresso fresh for you iced latte or whatever. Very odd. Starbucks was expensive as fuck, comparatively.

Sounds about goddamn right! I had the best coffee in the states. So many great local coffee shops. I wonder about the statistics for micro brewed beer.
I'm pretentious enough to use one of these.

XF7VlTn.jpg

Also loose leaf tea.
Always wanted to tried this. I have tried "pour over" which i though was glorious.

every work place should have something like this:

starbucks-machine.jpg

8oz,12oz,32oz, 64oz coffee brewer.

Two different types to choose from. Typically decaf/caf choices.

Beans are ground and then already heated water is splayed through and you get your coffee in less than a minute.

I knew this thread would appear, my coffee warned me about it.

Anyway, I come from the backwards instant drinking UK, but I've always been interested in taking my coffee a bit more "seriously", like you American peoples.

uqkqFz6.gif

Question is: What do I buy for my kitchen that would let me do so? Which coffee-related apparatus do I need?

I knew this thread would appear, my coffee warned me about it.

Anyway, I come from the backwards instant drinking UK, but I've always been interested in taking my coffee a bit more "seriously", like you American peoples.

uqkqFz6.gif

Question is: What do I buy for my kitchen that would let me do so? Which coffee-related apparatus do I need?
French press, breh.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not a big fan of the French press, TBH. I have a fancy one that's a real conversation starter, but the solid remains of the ground are a bit too much.

You'd probably hate the way we make coffee when camping - "cowboy coffee." Just throw it in and wait for the grounds to settle out.

Magnus

Those stats don't sound right. Who drinks instant coffee??

Most of my family and my boyfriend's family does (or, for some of them, they don't mind it and/or can't taste the difference). Coffee is coffee to them.

Really pisses me off when many of them accuse me of 'having no sense of taste' when I tell them that most wine tastes the same to me, but then they assert that all coffee is on a level playing field.

I can't do Instant.

I've gotta say though, that Starbucks VIA does the trick for me, even though I still don't prefer to it to legit coffee. They managed to figure something decent out in the Instant formula.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Where does this Americans don't have kettles thing come from? We don't call them kettles, we call them teapots, and the stovetop versions are extremely common. Look at any department store. They don't have a wall of them because they hope people will buy them someday.

FStop7

Banned
I buy Illy pre-ground espresso and use an Aeropress. That's as much work as I'm willing to put in to make my own coffee, which is not often. Otherwise I just go to a coffee shop.

lots of people have electric kettles in the US. They just are not nearly as common as elsewhere. Nearly everyone has a stovetop kettle.

Where does this Americans don't have kettles thing come from? We don't call them kettles, we call them teapots, and the stovetop versions are extremely common. Look at any department store. They don't have a wall of them because they hope people will buy them someday.

We're talking about those:

electric-kettle.jpg

The concept of boiling water in the microwave is so strange to me, I'm lost for words.

PJV3

I'm a tea drinker mostly, when I want coffee I usually drink the freshly ground beans variety, but there are times when a cup of instant hits the spot.

Zona

There not electric, which is what most people seem to be talking about. There also not as ubiquitous as they apparently are in Europe and Aus. The only people I know who have one are people who like tea, which includes me.
I only use it for tea though. If I'm heating water for anything else I'll use the microwave or a pot depending on the amount. Also yes superheating is a thing, but it really only happens if your using distilled water and a brand new glass.

I have mainly switched to tea, but Aeropress all the way. Instant coffee is pretty bad and I've tried many of the best brands. I am close to alot of Australians in the US who have their favorite brands shipped over by family and they endlessly try to prove to me that it can be good. That said, Vegemite is awesome.

The availability of Blue Bottle New Orleans Style Iced Coffee in cartons has definitely become a bit of a problem for me in terms of mediating my caffeine intake.

DJ_Lae

Gross. I'm hardly a coffee snob but instant tastes like crap. They're just acrid and unpleasant, like coffee left out on the counter for a couple of days and then reheated. Even Starbucks' much touted Via is no replacement, though it at least isn't terrible.

The cheapest preground stuff in a tin will be far superior to any instant. And I get lazy as hell there, as I've gone from freshly grinding my own beans and brewing in a french press to just scooping out some cheap stuff into my Aeropress. The latter is only a couple of steps beyond instant and it tastes so much better.

A lot of my wife's family will drink instant, don't know if it's big in the Philippines or not. I also don't know if it's laziness, lack of taste, or just indifference that causes them to do so, though given some of their cooking I would lean towards lack of taste.

Americans don't fuck around when it comes to our caffeine addiction. This is why we stay winning, while everyone else stays struggling.

flyover

I buy Illy pre-ground espresso and use an Aeropress. That's as much work as I'm willing to put in to make my own coffee, which is not often. Otherwise I just go to a coffee shop.

...The cheapest preground stuff in a tin will be far superior to any instant. And I get lazy as hell there, as I've gone from freshly grinding my own beans and brewing in a french press to just scooping out some cheap stuff into my Aeropress...

Same here. Pre-ground into an Aeropress is perfect for me.

The coffee's still really good, and the process is so fast and easy. Better and cheaper coffee than a Keurig. Better for single-servings (and takes less space) than a machine -- especially if you already have a kettle. Essentially no cleanup, unlike French Press (and faster, too). It's pretty much ideal.

KJA

I like drinking instant coffee. It's pretty weak to begin with, so I drink about three to four cups of it in a row.

That said, I still like going out for a coffee every once in a while, more for the social aspect of it if anything.

KJA

BTW, this is the main reason I drink instant coffee at home:

ItOfq4r.jpg

All I have to do is press a button and steaming hot water comes out at any time I want (as long as you remember to refill it with water, of course).

Aiustis

bleh instant coffee. It's nasty at best.

I am a coffee snob (kind of) but I like coffee in general never could you pay me to drink instant coffee.

SRG01

Micro ground instant like Starbucks VIA or, iirc, Nespresso Instant Espresso is great. Also, some Asian instant 3-in-1 drinks are simply amazing.

Gallbaro

Banned
sure, but electric kettles are just a demonstrably better way of heating a quantity of water quickly for any purpose. i just can't get over doing it in the microwave, you surely can't heat that much water in a microwave, and what do even you put the water in?

/mindblown

A microwave is perfect for heating water, that is how they fucking work.

also instant coffee is nasty.

Paskil

Nearly half the world is WRONG. USAUSAUSA

Nothing instant can beat my morning French Press cup for work. Best part of my morning.

I drink instant coffee every morning but with milk.

microwave a mug of milk, then add spoons of instant coffee.... there are cheap ass latte

every morning

lenovox1

You and me.. and probably some others in this thread. Just wish our hotels had them, too.

You can use most hotel coffee machines like a kettle. Just don't put coffee grounds or a coffee pod in it.

All I have to do is press a button and steaming hot water comes out at any time I want (as long as you remember to refill it with water, of course).

You don't have to go through the misery of instant coffee, even if you have a kettle. You could buy coffee bags (and steep coffee grounds like tea) or even make your own, though.

BTW, this is the main reason I drink instant coffee at home:

ItOfq4r.jpg

One of those plus a french press is how I make my coffee. Love not having to wait at all for the hot water.

SolKane

I am an American who uses a kettle (stove top, not electric) but does not drink instant coffee (I had to look this up as I was not familiar with this product).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom