• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly half the world prefers instant coffee; Australians the most, US the least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instant coffee is absolutely fucking disgusting. My girlfriend's mother swears by the default Nescafe shite. That stuff should be classified as 'generic brown hot beverage granules' by law. There's no 'coffee' taste or smell there at all.

Azulsky

Instant coffee is essentially trusting someone else to brew it for you already. You are just redissolving the crystals.

For quick coffee K cups are a better option and they make much more $$$ than instant.

Tugatrix

It seems sometimes the article refers to freshly brewed coffee and sometimes it refers to "fresh" (unground) beans, depending on the context.

Yep that's the problem, because they are different things and have different tastes.

fresh beans coffee are the best, but recently with nespresso and dolce gusto machines that use capsules, which basically make brewed coffee, people have been leaning to those because they are easier to use.

dejay

Banned
Yeah sorry, I'm not trusting a euromonitor market research study or whatever.

I will bet my face that actually, Australians drink less instant coffee than Americans.

The study classes this as "standard ground coffee"
AICZe9U.jpg

There's a lot of them in the US. It's very rare to see it in an Australian restaurant/home. Plunger coffee is also bigger in the US and Europe, as well.

Fresh coffee beans in the graph includes espresso, which is fairly consistent across the regions. All the workplaces I've been in lately have had espresso machines installed that grind the beans on the spot.

Striek

I don't drink coffee, but everyone I know drinks instant here (Aus), so this isn't surprising. That said, when I have had some I can't tell the difference at all between instant and fresh, they smell, look and taste exactly the same.

P. Fembot

Banned
That's weird because everyone I know here in Australia drinks espresso.

I guess in other parts of Australia people drink International Rust.

winjet81

Coffee grinder + Electric kettle + Coffee press here. Canada

Never tried instant coffee. Never will go back to pre-ground.

dejay

Banned
That's weird because everyone I know here in Australia drinks espresso.

I guess in other parts of Australia people drink International Rust.

You probably live in Latte Land. Here in the real country we drink Blend 43 and twiddle our ear hair around the pot belly stove, telling yarns of yesteryear.

luso

With an "expresso" from grinded beans costing $1, Portugal is on the right track.
Edit: between quotes because we don't call it expresso here but quantity is also a very small amount but strong coffee.

Halcyon

I want to try the instant stuff just to see what it is but I never care enough to buy it.

We have free ground coffee at work, and a Keurig.

I stopped and got a large vat of coffee at the gas station for $1.40 this morning.

I've been absolutely spoiled by my K-cups.

Growing up, my dad always used to drink Folgers and Maxwell House and it gives me nostalgic twinges of being home from school on a snow day.

These are now my go-to.

OiyDUFS.jpg

Even though I only get to see my family one or two times a year. This stuff keeps me going and happy.

grumpy

To me instant coffee tastes like shit. In fact, I'm pretty sure that actual shit tastes like instant coffee.

French press 4 life.

Instant Coffee is terrible! In fact I'd guess the majority of people who don't like the taste of coffee feel that way because their only experience was instant coffee which is bitter and burnt tasting. Also I'm an American and own an electric kettle. I'd imagine for most people who just use a regular coffee maker they don't have one since that also heats the water.

diaspora

I very rarely drink tea, and an electric kettle is indispensable for me. I use it for instant coffee, and for instant noodles or other things requiring hot water. They are like as cheap as 10 dollars, why wouldn't you have one?
I thought Canadians and Americans were so similar. I just cannot wrap my head around this.

I'm Canadian, and I don't own a kettle because it has no value. If I need boiling water, I use a pot.

OuterLimits

I live in the States and have a Kettle. Granted, I like hot tea and hot chocolate, so obviously a Kettle is great. Can't stand trying to heat hot chocolate in the microwave.

Not a fan of instant coffee.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I drink instant coffee every day. When you have a family and are on a tight budget, you can't afford to fork out $3-4 for a coffee every day. And that's just for one. If I'm drinking two cups a day, thats about $7 blown.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Australian here. I confess; I love instant coffee, but I prefer regular coffee. I'll generally have one cup of each per day, and about 50 cups of tea. Basically, I treat instant coffee as it's own drink, not a replacement for coffee. To that end, I usually remove the word "coffee" from its name and instead call it instant brown.

The average price of coffee is actually $3.89 where I live. No way will you get a coffee for $1.80.

For regular, no-frills brewed coffee? That is pretty baffling to me. Apologies for the lack of access to affordable coffee where you are. Mind you, I'm in the Bay Area, known to be an expensive region, but at least we have our priorities straight ;).

Starbucks Via instant coffee is pretty good for instant coffee. I've been getting it for a few years now. If you buy it on Amazon it's like half the price, too, which works out to about $0.40/cup. If you drink it every day that's a pretty good cost savings vs. going to the store.

The Via instant iced coffee is also great if you're making a coffee flavored frozen alcoholic drink and don't want to make a whole pot of coffee.

Does Kuerig type systems count as instant coffee? Also, do Nespresso systems count as instant coffee?

4137Iq3X0xL._SY300_.jpg

Nespresso is everywhere around Europe. It's popular in the US but not nearly as popular as Europe... I have this one, the Lattissima line from Delonghi and Nespresso. Makes a very good espresso, has a milk steamer and frother, and is self cleaning... but the coffee comes in tiny nespresso pods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom