• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Berlin 2087 Trailer looks next gen as f. Unreal Engine 5.

CamHostage

These ultra-realistic UE5 games that are just visual novels are starting to become their own subgenre...(Fort Solis, Nobody Wants to Die).

Uh, did you not see that there's a trailer?

Mechanically it's a hodgepodge of FPS and TPS (with a lot of context sensitive finishing moves) but it's a shooty-killy game.

Slow shooting, sure, so I guess I get why you're comparing this to "walking sim" games (it seems linear and scripted to me, but that may just be the trailer?) But it's still showing to be more an action game than a story game.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I’m gonna call this bluff. I hope it’s great, but unknown studios with shadow drops with cutting edge tech doesn’t pass the smell test for me.

Don't see a lot that's cutting edge? At least not on the dev's part; it's a lot of off-the-shelf UE5 and plug-ins at work (which still takes a lot of balancing and artistry, but a dev with a backer and knowhow could put a game like this together without going to extremes.)

Slimy called it NG AF, i get where he's coming from but I wouldn't go that far. The gaudy reflections are a fun over-blown FX addition but there's SS artifacts, doubt it's RT or needed to be. Snow, i didn't see anything particular going on (but I'm on my phone. Characters models are pretty good, i assume MetaHumans, and the lip sync works for the most part, but they don't have the control over the figures (or the budget) to avoid them looking very robotic and disconnected when in conversation with one another (the uncanny valley sure is an abyss.) Happy at least for there finally being some cloth physics in a new game, that's fun for me.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Gold Member
I went from "oh!" to "eh..." quite quickly during watching that.

Animations look very janky. All the environments look like they are taken from those Humble Bundle "ten thousand 3D models and PBR materials for $10" packs.

Slap all the assets into UE5, use the standard shaders and lighting and call it a game.

Kurotri

I like that it's set in Berlin instead of another American city. It looks intriguing, I hope it's more than just visual spectacle. It does look a little janky especially with the cutscenes but that's ok tbh. Thanks for sharing OP, I didn't see a single peep about this anywhere.

twinspectre

The only selling point is the graphic, I'm sure the gameplay will be sub par every clowns that push graphics over gameplay has something to hide.
"Gamers" are smar.....oh wait nvm.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Mechanically it's a hodgepodge of FPS and TPS (with a lot of context sensitive finishing moves) but it's a shooty-killy game.
Well to be fair - that doesn't preclude it from being a walking sim.
Eg. The Order 1866 was a shooty-killy game too - and still had much more in common with Senua's Saga than ... Gears of War (and I don't mean the game length).

Last edited:

Loke

Female protagonist be like:

lGKNF80.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Idk, there's something that makes the game look a bit off. I Hope it's good though, that type of universe is my jam.
Its the animations. The walking animations, the facial animations in the cutscenes, and even the running animations dont look as good as the visuals so it kind of starts to fail the eye test.

However, the enemy hit detection animations are pretty good and the mocapped takedowns feel raw and well animated so lets hope they can clean up the other animations come launch time.

The only selling point is the graphic, I'm sure the gameplay will be sub par every clowns that push graphics over gameplay has something to hide.
"Gamers" are smar.....oh wait nvm.
Game looks fun to me. It's both FPS and TPS, has some sick max payne style bullet time, the FPS gunplay looks fun too.

Neilg

The art direction is a mess. It's got all the UE5 technical features turned on but it's all over the place visually. Very little thought to environmental cinematography and layering, looks like they had someone make the environments and then tried to fit the game into them afterwards.

Animation looks dire too.

Last edited:

twinspectre

Its the animations. The walking animations, the facial animations in the cutscenes, and even the running animations dont look as good as the visuals so it kind of starts to fail the eye test.

However, the enemy hit detection animations are pretty good and the mocapped takedowns feel raw and well animated so lets hope they can clean up the other animations come launch time.

Game looks fun to me. It's both FPS and TPS, has some sick max payne style bullet time, the FPS gunplay looks fun too.
You're free to buy it, but then don't complain about "Modern developers here, modern developers there", because as always, the market sucks because it is the customer that support scam.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Something feels very off about that female character's face, it feels like she had plastic surgery on her face and the surgery didn't go well so she has hard time showing proper expression.

If its AA game then in my opinion they shouldn't have hyper realistic character models if the cant do proper face expression because its gonna look very wrong and uncanny valley.

Mahavastu

I like that it's set in Berlin instead of another American city.
yeah, but it looks more like some random american city than Berlin, despite having some iconic places (eg. Brandenburg gate, TV Tower and Sanssouci). And I hope Berlin will even in 2087 not look like this...

Anyway, its just a game, so who cares :pie_eyeroll:

Denton

We have Deus Ex at home

...it looks like one of those fake UE5 "games", but hey, if it's real, might be fun. The dialogue is literally cliche after cliche which does not inspire much confidence.

Top Bottom