• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Berlin 2087 Trailer looks next gen as f. Unreal Engine 5.

SHA

I’m gonna call this bluff. I hope it’s great, but unknown studios with shadow drops with cutting edge tech doesn’t pass the smell test for me.
I hate when games get predictable as we get older, this kills creativity from unknown studios, I'm still optimistic though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Slimysnake must be half asleep watching this because he's usually pretty good at picking great looking games.
Compare this to the Dragon Age Release Date trailer released yesterday. Tell me which one has better graphics. I already said the animations need work, but just judge the footage on graphics alone and you will see way better quality lighting, reflections, and snow effects. the asset quality is really high.

Watch the perfect dark trailer which is also UE5 and compare them. its night and day, Perfect Dark looks like a UE4 game in comparison. more polished, yes, but graphics are clearly better in this game made by 11 people in germany.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Thats the thing. if the devs put some effort into their games, Im willing to give them a shot. its not a walking sim either. it has combat that actually looks fun.
I was laughing at the girl's face, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. I think engine advancements and AI are going to disproportionately elevate small AA stuff. And yeah, I was pleased to see some hints at combat.

I did think the whole thing was a bit awkward, but I'd be willing to look into it more when they get further along. I do think everyone is right that it just has that asset pre-canned look with some weird art design choices, but it obviously doesn't look "bad." If jank games are going to jump up to this level, that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Thabass

Not at all impressed with it. It's still in development, and seems very early in the development process. So, I'll give it some time, but right now it looks to me like a cheaper version of Cyberpunk 2077 with more limited scope and cheaper gameplay mechanics.

Will have to see how it evolves, but it still seems pretty early in development vibes from me.

Kupfer

That's 10 more than 2077. Just saying.
Pointing This Guy GIF by BET Plus

Fbh

I don't know, it looks pretty bad IMO.
Specially the animations with that stiff looking movement and the overall soft blurry looking image , it almost comes across as one of those asset flip games on Steam.

poodaddy

This thing has the score and writing of a brainless big budget political thriller that would thrill the kind of people who jerk off to Jack Reacher films.

Im Good Brad Pitt GIF by Bullet Train

peish

I think the UE5 'look' has formed. Just like the UE4 look with bald space marine and drab textures.
UE5 has the overused megatexels scans, stoney buildy architectures and any vegetations/organic materials are a grainy mess.

Pagusas

Elden Member
WTF are we watching the same thing? That looked horrible OP. The opposite of next gen, it looked cheap, plastic and very poorly animated. Nothing about that looked next gen or even AAA current gen.

Just shows that it doesn't matter how advanced hardware and software are, creative design and talented artist will reign supreme always.

I think you guys are too critical on the AA angle. It's fine and not that different from AAA products.

Nah, given the title of the thread its appropriate. Had the thread been a "AA game dev shows off what UE5 can do on a budget" then you'd get a better response.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

This looks like it's going to be 30 fps on console.... (before any pcmr people come at me, buy me a PC first..)

The gun fights and city remind me cyberpunk. The presentation doesn't pull me in. Looking at the trailer, it looks like the graphics are the best thing on offer so far.

RickSanchez

I need a good Deus-Ex replacement cyberpunk immersive sim in my life. So i am hoping for this to turn out good by the time it is released.

But it looks like an overoptimistic hope given that the trailer looks janky. Like the devs took some very good looking stock UE5 assets but haven't been able to put everything together and polish it well. Many other comments are saying something similar.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
These ultra-realistic UE5 games that are just visual novels are starting to become their own subgenre...(Fort Solis, Nobody Wants to Die).
I don't think this is that, it's clearly a FPS.

Hopefully it's got a little bit of Deus Ex to it as well but I didn't see any clear indication of that in the trailer.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But yeah. Slimy seriously needs to get the wool from out of his eyes. This looks like shit dude. Why are you recommending something like this to us?

It looks painfully generic and uninspired- What if we took Max Payne and Cyberpunk and Deus Ex and combined them together with none of the charm and a lot more AA jankiness?

You can't have graphics like this (which are only remarkable because of their visual fidelity and don't look inspired or interesting at all, no interesting use of color, no original inspired environments, etc) and then proceed to slap the most janky and awfully mocapped animations onto them like everything's gonna work out! They need to delay this game for 2 years just to retool and remake every single animation here, because those rigs look 2006 quality

Unrecord and Bodycam were made on the same engine and they look a lot better and stick out way more.

It's insane to me how you're willing to give this the light of day but then lose your mind when a game with 2D pixel art graphics comes up on screen.

Last edited:

timothet

I guess this is what modern UE5 eurojank looks like. Remember though, CDPR was this at some point too.
True, but you could see that The Witcher was made with passion, even through all the jank. This trailer on the other hand just screams "We have zero creativity".
I hope I'm wrong, but all things considered, the first impression is... not good.

Top Bottom