• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST 2010 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!) Show Us Your Gaming Goods!

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
LiK said:
FLCL Blu :3
FLCL-BD.jpg
Wait, what, how, where, price? Plus does it have English subs?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Just got a new monitor. Or should I say, just got my second new monitor in a week. Initially I ordered the HP 2310m, but it was so bright and glossy that I was having difficulty looking at the screen without getting headaches. My eyes literally hurt looking at it, so it got shipped back, and I went with my trusted brand, ASUS.

Got the ASUS MS238H 23" LED-backlit LCD monitor. I was using an ASUS VK266H 25.5" LCD monitor prior to getting this today. It was great for PC/Mac use, but I got tired of the 16:10 aspect ratio affecting console games, so I decided to get a 16:9 monitor.

The MS238H is awesome! Very similar image to my other ASUS monitor, but the white levels are brighter/whiter and the monitor itself is incredibly thin and light. It uses a touch panel in place of buttons. The trade-off is that it doesn't have built-in speakers or a webcam, but I don't need the latter and it's got a speaker output for HDMI, so I'm good to go with my PC speakers.

It's great for console gaming (just like the "Evo monitor") and has a 2ms refresh rate with no input lag issues. Pretty nice for only $199.

06xSBl.jpg
ZBU08l.jpg

Zdv87l.jpg
wMv5Sl.jpg

LiK

xxracerxx said:
Wait, what, how, where, price? Plus does it have English subs?

yea, it has English subs. and it cost $150USD with shipping from Amazon JP

btw, that monitor looks awesome.

Lyte Edge

LiK said:

It's got a really slick design...doesn't look like your typical PC monitor.

41spB5MjxfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
31qmUJdd0dL._AA300_.jpg

31f4RznTa0L._AA300_.jpg
316CfBwZ5xL._AA300_.jpg

A newer model that has a white back just recently came out too, but it's not LED-backlit like this one is.

There have been some complaints about the ring stand it uses though; people say it's very easy to tip over. However there's a clear plastic wedge piece included that helps it to stay in place. I noticed that CNET reviewed the monitor, they didn't use it and didn't mention it for whatever reason. Maybe ASUS started to include it after the monitor came out?

T-Matt

Lyte Edge said:
Just got a new monitor. Or should I say, just got my second new monitor in a week. Initially I ordered the HP 2310m, but it was so bright and glossy that I was having difficulty looking at the screen without getting headaches. My eyes literally hurt looking at it, so it got shipped back, and I went with my trusted brand, ASUS.

Got the ASUS MS238H 23" LED-backlit LCD monitor. I was using an ASUS VK266H 25.5" LCD monitor prior to getting this today. It was great for PC/Mac use, but I got tired of the 16:10 aspect ratio affecting console games, so I decided to get a 16:9 monitor.

The MS238H is awesome! Very similar image to my other ASUS monitor, but the white levels are brighter/whiter and the monitor itself is incredibly thin and light. It uses a touch panel in place of buttons. The trade-off is that it doesn't have built-in speakers or a webcam, but I don't need the latter and it's got a speaker output for HDMI, so I'm good to go with my PC speakers.

It's great for console gaming (just like the "Evo monitor") and has a 2ms refresh rate with no input lag issues. Pretty nice for only $199.

http://i.imgur.com/06xSBl.jpg[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZBU08l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Zdv87l.jpg
QUOTE]That looks nice. Very tempted to pick one up.

Zertez

electristan said:
Presents from my mothers trip to China :) never to old to get presents from your mother i say.

img_20100815_215311gsdq.jpg

A pair of knives as i have had no decent ones since i move back to Norway. They seem good, but haven't tried them out yet.

img_20100815_215435vpld.jpg

img_20100815_215423rpgc.jpg
Those look like Shun knives, if so they are very nice blades. They are my favorite sub 200 knife. Just make sure when you get them sharpened, you look up the edge angle. It is different than German steel.

Mercutio

Valkyr Junkie said:
I've always liked Red Wings, but it seems like they never have the style I like in 13s.

If you're looking at the GT, go a half size down to a full size down. They run large. Normally I'm an 11, these are 10.5 and they fit me incredibly well. I don't think this rule applies to other Red Wings, but it seems to be gospel on GTs if you check around online.

thefil said:
I can't really afford to be a shoe guy, but damn. Those shoes. Love them.

Thanks! I've wanted a pair for a while. It's actually been pretty tough to find them in this newer color... normally they're black or a dark "cherry" brown.

xxracerxx said:
Anyway you could post some more detailed impressions from using it more and some sample shots?

I have been looking into this camera for awhile and I would love to get some other opinions.

Thanks man!

Sure! Like anybody with a new camera, I've got no problem with explaining why it's the last camera I'll ever need.

I've used Nikons for years; I grew up using my mother's Nikon F series camera, and when I was able to I got a D200 not too long after they were released. I want to say late 2006, early 2007. I've always maintained photography as a form of art that isn't for money but for pure self expression (it's very hard to keep things like that when you're working professionally as an artist in advertising or the games industry) but I've managed to get a few photos in Time Out New York by accident and association, and I've had one full page photograph in GQ. I'm very used to fiddling with settings on a camera to get what I want, and I've often missed the shot I wanted because I had to compensate for the light and speed of whatever it was.

The Lumix's AI mode completely eliminates that. I feel like a total hack for keeping a camera on an automatic mode, but it simply figures out the best settings for where you are and what you're doing. You're totally free to just compose your shot, and if you want something else or demand full manual control, the interface and available buttons / dials are super easy to adapt to. The body is constructed very well and feels substantial in comparison to cameras in the same price range... I've handled a number of Canon and Nikon cameras under $1000 that felt a tad light in comparison and certainly didn't auto-focus as fast or feel quite as capable.

Having tried out the two kit lenses, I like the Zoom (the quality is excellent and it certainly does the job) but the Pancake 20mm is positively magical. All of the shots in my previous post are from it, as are the following. Pardon the EXIF data, I've taken to uploading things through my iPad... which seems to turn it into an "iPhone" picture.

4899375200_655f8d6636_z.jpg

4899374190_c5216d9f31_z.jpg

4899374684_05e9049c92_z.jpg

4899373226_6ed4f0bdb6_z.jpg

4899372362_8a5d7749fd_z.jpg

SuperPac

LiK said:
yea, it has English dubs. and it cost $150USD with shipping from Amazon JP

You mean subs. Not dubs. The Japanese blu-ray doesn't have an English voice track. Just subtitles.

LiK

InfiniteNine said:
Really? It's listed as having the English PCM track on Yes Asia.

Play-Asia only says Japanese audio. But the back of the box does look like there's more than one track but it's all Japanese.

edit: Took a pic of the audio list. Please let me know, Japanese experts.

edit2: English dub confirmed. Pic deleted.

Dynamic3

Lyte Edge said:

x
x

I was thinking about that monitor myself (the 21.5" non-LED to be exact). Is it matte or just less glossy than the HP?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
LiK said:
Play-Asia only says Japanese audio. But the back of the box does look like there's more than one track but it's all Japanese.

edit: Took a pic of the audio list. Please let me know, Japanese experts.

FLCL-audio.jpg
Second track is English.

LiK

InfiniteNine said:
I actually like the dub, so it is. Looking forward to watching it in 16:9 1080p when my copy comes in!

i'll probably check it out later in the week. i'm gonna let it soak in it's pristine condition before opening it up. :lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Mercutio said:
Sure! Like anybody with a new camera, I've got no problem with explaining why it's the last camera I'll ever need.

I've used Nikons for years; I grew up using my mother's Nikon F series camera, and when I was able to I got a D200 not too long after they were released. I want to say late 2006, early 2007. I've always maintained photography as a form of art that isn't for money but for pure self expression (it's very hard to keep things like that when you're working professionally as an artist in advertising or the games industry) but I've managed to get a few photos in Time Out New York by accident and association, and I've had one full page photograph in GQ. I'm very used to fiddling with settings on a camera to get what I want, and I've often missed the shot I wanted because I had to compensate for the light and speed of whatever it was.

The Lumix's AI mode completely eliminates that. I feel like a total hack for keeping a camera on an automatic mode, but it simply figures out the best settings for where you are and what you're doing. You're totally free to just compose your shot, and if you want something else or demand full manual control, the interface and available buttons / dials are super easy to adapt to. The body is constructed very well and feels substantial in comparison to cameras in the same price range... I've handled a number of Canon and Nikon cameras under $1000 that felt a tad light in comparison and certainly didn't auto-focus as fast or feel quite as capable.

Having tried out the two kit lenses, I like the Zoom (the quality is excellent and it certainly does the job) but the Pancake 20mm is positively magical. All of the shots in my previous post are from it, as are the following. Pardon the EXIF data, I've taken to uploading things through my iPad... which seems to turn it into an "iPhone" picture.
Thanks so much for responding, sounds like a great camera for the price, like I have been reading everywhere.

Guess when I get the money I will just have to jump on it.

Cheers!

Lyte Edge

Dynamic3 said:
I was thinking about that monitor myself (the 21.5" non-LED to be exact). Is it matte or just less glossy than the HP?

Its got a matte screen with a glossy casing. HP's new line are completely glossy.

I have NEVER had the kind of eyestrain/headaches I experienced with that HP monitor before. It was just too bright for its own good.

alr1ghtstart said:
able to be stood at a 90 degree angle?

I'm not sure about a complete 90 degree angle without using something to properly balance it. With this kind of monitor, a slight angle/tilt is good for it anyway. I have it close to a 90 degree angle but not quite.

Tonza

ncim35.jpg

iPad 3G 32Gb as a souvenir from family's US-trip. This lead me to sell my MBP and get some upgrades for my pc.

My old Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 was getting too old so had to buy a new one.
Went with Roccat Kova since it was cheapest gaming mouse I could find with 5+ buttons and good dpi.
The mouse seems pretty good with the Steelseries mousepad. The shape is something I have to get used to on the right side but it seems really solid for 40 euro mouse. (and I love the lights)

Palit GTX 460 as an upgrade from GTS250.

Well, well, well. Magnificent month.

The overview
-The Zombie Survival Guide
-Toy Story 1 and 2 in Bluray
-Disney Parks -Where dreams come true- dvd pack
-The Art of Toy Story 3 book
-Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making MORE Magic real - (also bought the first volume some months ago)
80rfF.jpg

And in detail:
-The Zombie Survival Guide and Toy Story 1 and 2 in Bluray
X2Xjt.jpg

-Disney Parks -Where dreams come true-
+Disc 1: WDW Resort - Behind the Scenes
+Disc 2: Disneyland Resort - Behind the Scenes
+Disc 3: Ultimate WDW
+Disc 4: Disney's Animal Kingdom
+Disc 5: Disney Cruise Line
+Disc 6: Undiscovered Disney Parks
Ejxnv.jpg

-The Art of Toy Story 3 (this book is incredible)
37IVW.jpg

Inside Thumbnails:

Back:
1t0Aj.jpg

-Imagineering - A Behind the Dreams Look at Making MORE Magic real - (As I want to be an Imagineer this book is really amazing, all the art, the detail and how the imagineers work, and being the last book its all up to date, even having future projects)
PmLaN.jpg

Inside Thumbanails:

Back:
zi6B9.jpg

Johnlenham said:
Ohh that Walt Disney book is impressive, bet my GF would like it, shame its not out in the Uk though :/

Im from Spain and this book would have never come here, and if sometime would have come, it would have cost me 60-100 euros.

So I bough it from the american amazon (as I usually do for all my disney and art books), and it cost me 30 euros. If you really think your girlfriend would love it just buy it from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Imagineering-Behind-Dreams/dp/1423107667/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282143826&sr=8-1

Lyte Edge said:

How is the image quality?

isny

napkin dispenser
Looking forward to these dates! (I saw them at the Apollo in Harlem, so this will be a much different experience!)

Bummed about no recording at either venue though...I can't see how they expect to enforce this though with so many thousands of people.

154f6f8.jpg

Blablurn

bought it off steam

2wehrg8.jpg

the biggest pick up of the month: my visa for china! going there for a whole fucking year. studying and stuff. the adventure starts next week.

e8v6di.jpg

LiK

Blablurn said:
the biggest pick up of the month: my visa for china! going there for a whole fucking year. studying and stuff. the adventure starts next week.

e8v6di.jpg

i shall miss you. is GAF blocked in China? ;)

Nakazato

isny said:
Looking forward to these dates! (I saw them at the Apollo in Harlem, so this will be a much different experience!)

Bummed about no recording at either venue though...I can't see how they expect to enforce this though with so many thousands of people.

154f6f8.jpg

TAKE ME WITH YOU :(

expy

Banned
A few pickups this month...

Otakuthon weekend pass, and a random bookmark I bought on the first day.

23th2ye.jpg

And my new i7 Imac 2.93Ghz QC

2d9z0bn.jpg

2929vyq.jpg

2gslphg.jpg

CryptiK

Lyte Edge said:

06xSBl.jpg
ZBU08l.jpg

Zdv87l.jpg
wMv5Sl.jpg
If I were to hook up my PS3 would this display in 720p or upscale to 1080p in other words does this monitor support 720p HDMI.

krae_man

Pick ups on my west coast trip:
DSCN1586.jpg

This arrived in the mail when I was gone too:
DSCN1588.jpg

DSCN1589.jpg

I'm so glad I finally got my hands on one of these.

isny

napkin dispenser
krae_man said:
Pick ups on my west coast trip:

I'm so glad I finally got my hands on one of these.

USH is fun. Hope you enjoyed Kong, looking forward to heading back in October to see it =)

Be wary of that Simpsons Krustyland keychain, I've gone through a few, as the little hoop that holds it on isn't soldered, so it falls off easy after use.

Lyte Edge said:

That monitor is absolutely stunning, but I can't seem to find much acknowledgment of it's existence. Is it a fairly new release or something?

There aren't even any major UK stores listing it, just a few small independent ones selling it for the equivalent of $350.

krae_man

isny said:
USH is fun. Hope you enjoyed Kong, looking forward to heading back in October to see it =)

Be wary of that Simpsons Krustyland keychain, I've gone through a few, as the little hoop that holds it on isn't soldered, so it falls off easy after use.

I don't plan on using them.

Yeah the park was a lot of fun. The front of the line pass is awesome and well worth the $125. I didn't get to the park till almost 4pm but still saw everyting I wanted even went on a few things twice.

Top Bottom