• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF AUGUST Pick-Up Post!(Show us your gaming/non-gaming goods!)

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Teetris said:
Ooh, is that the new T series monitor? Or an actual LCD TV? If it's the former, what's your opinion on it, when playing games (360/PS3) etc.
It's a 32" Full HD lcd tv. sorry :)

New IIDX controller...

DSC07574.jpg

DSC07576.jpg

Ozorov said:
Sweet pick-up!! My friend has the same TV, pretty awesome :).

Urishizu said:
I just picked up the 32 incher in that line, and I love the little guy. If I had a camera I'd get a picture of our TV's doing an explosive high five.

It's a pretty sweet set. I fear I may have gone a little overboard, because this thing looks WAY bigger in my living room than it did in the showroom.

Rolf NB

It's not 100% August, since the case and board already arrived in July. The remaining parts were purchased in August though, and arrived only this past week.

=== Purpose ===
To unify a jumbled mess.
I mostly use a laptop on my desk, but I use a full-sized external keyboard and mouse along with it, so I have to push the laptop back to make room. As a result, I'm never quite happy with the size of the display, let alone the state of my desk. VGA output quality on my laptop sucks total ass, and the sole DVI port on my preferred display is contested/already taken by the PS3.

Besides that laptop, I also have a full-sized tower PC which I use to make captures for my shitty blog. There's no PCI slot in the laptop, so I have little choice, but it's annoying to coordinate files and stuff between the two machines. Outside of it having all the PCI slots I need, the tower is mostly a relic I keep around for reasons I hardly understand myself. I'm outright reluctant to turn it on now in fact.

Using these two PCs in parallel (or even in flip-flop) seemed excessive and inconvenient. I wanted one machine that unifies the functions of both, at least the functions I actually use. I wanted something I can hook up to my 22" monitor without replugging stuff all the time. Something that would accept my capture card without blowing 100W+ out of the window. Something I can run 24/7 (to serve pages, files and the printer, while I'm sitting outside with my laptop) without feeling bad about it.
Going forward, I also want to be able to downscale my laptop to strictly what I can use on the road, or in bed (say, an MSI Wind) without compromising my at-desk PC-related happiness.
So I started looking for components, with priorities spread out somewhere between cheap, low power and quiet.

I ended up with this:
2wlvbd2.jpg

=== Specs ===
Board: Intel D201GLY2A ("Essentials" series)
*Mini-ITX
*Celeron 220 CPU soldered on
*integrated graphics
*2xSATA, 1xPATA, 1 slot for DDR2-SDRAM, 1 PCI slot, legacy printer port
*passive cooling
*shockingly cheap

Case: Morex Cubid 2699
*small
*black
*takes a slimline (notebook) optical drive, allows 2.5" or 3.5" HDD (or both at the same time, probably)
*runs off an external power brick
*audio, USB and Firewire ports behind a small cover on the front

RAM: 1GB that I had flying about
HDD: Samsung M5S HM250JI -- 250GB, 2.5" SATA
Optical: Samsung SN-S082H -- slimline DVD+-*RAM/#ßDL°vrythng burner
Other: Hauppauge Impact VCB -- video capture card for s-video and composite

=== Cost ===
93€ for the case, 50€ for the board, 53€ for the HDD, 36€ for the DVD drive. Already had the RAM and the capture card and am using a free OS. So with shipping costs, I ended up around 250€ for the whole thing. Will probably spend another 5€ on a USB reader for SD cards.

Here's another view of the inside, this time with the capture card, the drives and all cables already installed.
2prur0y.jpg

=== WTFs ===
Mostly related to the case. Firstly, it's a really tight fit. As you can see, I had to drape the main ATX power cable under the DVD drive. What you don't see is that the memory module extends up to just maybe a couple mm below that drive, so I had to actually insert the power cable into the gap from the side, one strand at a time. A similarly scraping fit is between the CPU heatsink and, again, the optical drive.

Secondly, the power connector choices aren't really up to date. There's no ATX12V ("Pentium 4 power") connector, and the particular board I'm using, as inane at that is in itself, refuses to start without one. There's also no SATA power connector, only one "big" Molex plug (legacy HDD/5.25" optical drives) and two "small" floppy-style Molexes, one of which feeds into the adapter board for the slimline DVD drive.
Sure, you can use splitters and adapters, and that's just what I did, but the case is so cramped already that it doesn't seem so awesome to fit these (relatively) huge extended messes of cabling in there as well. Morex makes even much smaller cases, and after putting together this relatively "large" one, I really can't imagine how hard it would be to get the hardware in these tiny things.
At least one SATA power plug (at the expense of something else) would seem to be in order, as well as the additional ATX12V lead. Since the "PSU" is an open circuit board located toward the front, and already connects outwards and inwards via plugs, all this stuff could be made separate and optional. That way everyone could use precisely and only the cables that are needed for their particular hardware configuration.

Thirdly, there's a pop-out section to the left of the optical drive where I thought a 3.5" drive could go, but with just 1.5cm height, it's too slim for the front of, say, a floppy drive (or an internal card reader, which was my plan). I have no idea what you're supposed to fit in there. I went searching for slimline/laptop floppy drives out of curiosity, just to confirm that something like this even exists, but came up empty. So ... huh?

Fourthly, the vents on the left side (or the top when using the stand) are counterproductive. They short-circuit with the fans, reducing the airflow through the case. It's particularly bad with this board, as it's passive, but it's standard for all ITX boards that the CPU is right at the bottom. Air needs to flow through the entire length of the case.
What I did is cover up these vents with sticky tape, which makes the fans suck air from the other side of the case, through the CPU heatsink. Thankfully, within the stand the case rests on four feet along the sides with an ample gap below it to allow air to pass through.
In effect, my CPU temperature dropped from 67°C under full load to 61°C, with HDD temps remaining at a comfortable 38°C. Again, simply by covering up the vents on one side.

=== Observations on the finished article ===
Width: 6.2cm (~12cm at widest point of the base)
Height: 29.3cm (30.2cm w stand)
Depth: 29cm (includes front bezel, protruding PCI bracket, excludes plugs and cables)

Try this for scale:
32zqbsp.jpg

Performance: low. ~100ppd in Folding@Home. 2D graphics only. More than fine for what I need it to do (web/mysql server, web development, SD console captures, image manipulation, light programming). Be warned though: it absolutely does not play 3D games. None.

Power: measured 29.5W while idling on the desktop, <=40W under full load (includes drives)

Noise: negligible. Dual 40mm fans are a compromise for size, 1x60mm would likely have been nicer in terms of noise, but still, this thing's even quieter than my laptop, not to mention quieter than my Wii. I have not once heard any sound I'd ascribe to the HDD. It's either completely silent or drowned out by the already quiet fans. I can't tell the difference.

Happiness: high. I'm very happy that it can drive my 1680x1050 display competently, even though it lacks a DVI port -- i.e. analog output quality is pretty good. Actually, getting even the 2D graphics to run was a bit of a bitch, which I also knew about up front. Those were slight risks I took on the graphics side, but it all turned out fine in the end.
Everything else just works anyway.

Mik2121

This month...

augoods2.jpg

^^^^ The Last Guy and PixelJunk Eden

augoods4.jpg

^^^^ Burnout Paradise (It was really cheap), Soul Calibur IV and Eye of Judgment (very cheap, too)

augoods3.jpg

^^^^ Rhythm Tengoku. My GF loves it, I love it too :D

augoods.jpg

^^^^ And no, I didn't get to buy that street, but the other day on my way to work I saw it and it looked very nice (I see this street daily, as it's in front of the back exit of my apartment) so I decided to take a pic :p

I broke down and bought a 50'' Pioneer Kuro 5020 Plasma... and then impulse bought a PS3 MGS4 bundle.

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Also picked up Uncharted and R&C used. My SMT: Nocturne reprint finally arrived from playasia.

IMG_0273.jpg

Gaogaogao

j7xpwk.jpg

2rx7la1.jpg

went to all points west, watched radiohead (friday and saturday night), played lbp with my friends for over 45 minutes (stopped keeping track), and got swag.
pretty good weekend.

Kittonwy

Banned
I bought Civ.

And:

When there's nowhere else to run
Is there room for one more son
One more son
If you can hold on
If you can hold on, hold on

I wanna stand up, I wanna let go
You know, you know - no you don't, you don't
I wanna shine on in the hearts of men
I want a meaning from the back of my broken hand

Another head aches, another heart breaks
I am so much older than I can take
And my affection, well it comes and goes
I need direction to perfection, no no no no

Indifferent2.gif

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
OK, it's been a busy few months, so between work and travelling and actually trying to have a semblance of a social life when I am home and blah blah blah, I've piled up a shit ton of boxes of crap at my house that I never opened.

So, technically I bought all this stuff in the last month and a half. However, aside from a few things (which I'll point out), I just opened all the boxes today. It was a lot like Christmas. :D

I took these pics in terrible lighting conditions with an iPhone, so my apologies for the shitty image quality.

First the prelude to Christmas in August:

3aae818f.jpg

Felicia Blue PSP 2000 - I was lucky enough to get home from one trip just as this one came in. I spent an afternoon making a Pandora Battery from my old launch unit PSP, and once I got some CFW on the slim, I took Jeanne d'Arc and a few other games with me everywhere.

0cf77f42.jpg

Ikaruga - The last time I got back, about two weeks ago, I picked this gem up. I have the Gamecube version, but downloadable replays and achievements to push me to finally beat this game make it worth it.

234e8ba6.jpg

N+ - Same time frame as Ikaruga, picked this up about two weeks ago. I played so much of the flash version, I would have felt obligated to buy this even if I didn't want it anyways.

ffe2d69d.jpg

N+ LevelPack 1 - About an hour or two after I start N+, I hit Master Control. Brick wall there for about 10 minutes. I get this pack, laugh at their profuse apologies for the torment that is Master Control, and play about 4 or 5 episodes in. I then go back to Master Control and just breeze through it. I can't explain it.

0801beab.jpg

Siren: Blood Curse - Played this on a co-workers PS3. Transferred it to my PS3 at home today. As I mentioned in the official thread, it's not scaring me at all, but the sense of unending tension is pretty damned awesome.

53973bfc.jpg

PixelJunk Eden - This is the kind of game that makes me wish I could trade in all my programming abilities to have the design sense to dream something like this up.

834e876d.jpg

Dive into PixelJunk Monsters soundtrack - Awesome music for a solid game. I would pay even more money for the PJ Eden soundtrack though.

Now, Christmas begins in earnest! :D

b67a6fd9.jpg

Best Buy Box #1 - The Rock, Crimson Tide, Goodfellas - Mmmm, Bluray B2G1 specials.

95869bc2.jpg

Best Buy Box #2 - Gattaca, Departed, 28 Days Later - More Bluray B2G1 special goodness. FYI, I know 28 Days Later was deliberately filmed in shaky cam SD, so a high-def transfer is rather pointless. What can I say, I needed to fill out the B2G1, and I like the movie.

edd574de.jpg

Amazon Box #1 - Batman Begins Bluray Gift Set, Batman: Gotham Knight (Bluray), Persona 3 Fes (PS2) - No sales, just a preorder I made for the two Batman titles, and I threw P3F in there to bundle up on shipping.

a73e72a6.jpg

Amazon Box #2 - U2: Rattle & Hum, Hellboy, The Fifth Element, Donnie Brasco - Yay Bluray sales!

266c8cb6.jpg

Amazon Box #3 - A Few Good Men, Reservoir Dogs, Across the Universe, Cast Away - More Bluray sale purchases.

80709c19.jpg

Amazon Box #4 - Blue Man Group: The Complex Rock Tour Live, Blue Man Group: How to be a Megastar 2.0 - Recently went to the local Megastar 2.0 concert. Put in an order immediately once I got home.

177eef78.jpg

New cables for my Sennheiser HD580 headphones - My old ones had a broken contact on the left ear. Lasted me two years. Good enough. Great cans btw.

3d2f099c.jpg

Airport Extreme - I get a phone call while I'm out - "THE WIRELESS IS DEAD WHAT DO I DO?!". I get home, and make a purchase. Decided I'd try out the Airport since I'd always heard good things. Rest easy old Linksys WRT54G, you will be fondly remembered.

955602ad.jpg

bjork's box (Part 1) - DDR, DDR Extra Mix, DDR 2nd Mix, DDR 3rd Mix, DDR 4th Mix - Part of the package bjork swapped me for my extra Premium 360 via the Buy/Trade/Sell thread.

c377c895.jpg

bjork's box (Part 2) - Namco 50th Anniversary Collection, Beatmania, Beatmania 2nd Mix, Beatmania Append 3rd Mix, vib ribbon - Honestly, I'm most excited for vib ribbon and Klonoa. Thanks again bjork!

9317498e.jpg

bjork's box (Part 3) - Nightopia Dream Pack - Wow, this is a lot nicer than I expected.

2b9f5186.jpg

bjork's box (Part 4) - Japanese Region PS2 - And the Japanese PS2 to play it on. Now I don't have to ask my friend to let me have my old PS2 + HDLoader back to play imports! :D

377203d9.jpg

Gamestop box - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition - Throughout my recent travel and bullshittery, this is what I've most wanted to play. God damn finally.

fde39589.jpg

Jirotrom's 2 boxes - Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Ouendan 2, Ouendan, Star Ocean: 2nd Star Story, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Two separate purchases I made from Jirotrom combined in one picture. Ouendan 1 and Rocket Slime are actually replacement copies. Ouendan was lost when I let a fellow GAFfer borrow the game at E3, forget to ask for it back, and then he got his DS stolen. At least I finally have another copy. Rocket Slime is replacing my japanese import copy. Tactics Ogre is something I've been looking for at a decent price for years. For that, I can't think Jirotrom enough.

70af1a36.jpg

GoGamer.com box - Unreal Anthology, Quake 4, Space Quest Anthology - I love those 48 hour madness sales they have. :D

Finally, I picked up 7 1600 point cards at Target today to stock up on points for the remainder of the year. Between all the Live Arcade games coming out that I want, and the fact that I recently figured out that I'm averaging $20 in Rock Band alone per month. I figured it'd be prudent to stock up while the points were on sale. First purchases with those points were made tonight:

d0df307f.jpg

Braid - The demo was awesome, and I'm dying to play more.

77361dc4.jpg

Geometry Wars 2: Retro Evolved - I'm one of those people that suck at Geometry Wars but can't stop playing it. I'm hoping this will help boost my skill level a bit. Pacifist mode is awesome btw.

771d3e13.jpg

Omega Five - I played a bunch of this at a friend's house a few months ago. I've been meaning to pick this up. Might as well do it now that I have the points.

2972ea06.jpg

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - See Omega Five's description. Same deal.

So that's it. Thank god I have time off from work and school doesn't start up for another 3 weeks. I've got a lot of catching up to do. :D

Oh! I almost forgot. No pictures yet, but I did purchase two tickets each to a Smashing Pumpkins show on the 19th, a Stone Temple Pilots show on the 20th, and a Kathy Griffin show sometime in early September. I'm already working on securing a date for those events. :D

kuYuri

BreakyBoy said:
70af1a36.jpg

GoGamer.com box - Unreal Anthology, Quake 4, Space Quest Anthology - I love those 48 hour madness sales they have. :D

So do I... so do I. I got the same thing as you, except replace Space Quest with Jade Empire Special Edition.

Fongul

IMG_1090.JPG

Many games on the cheap: Dark Sector & Condemned 2 were used from EB for $17 each, Bleach DS at Circuit City for $16.96, Innocent Life from a CAG trade, Megaman Starforce Leo at TRU for $7.98, Monster Hunter Portable 2G for $39.99 shipped from Yesasia.com, plus add my birthday haul (SC IV, Civ Revo & MLB Power Pros 2008) for good measure. Out of all of these, Monster Hunter Portable 2G with the English patch for the win! (The extra blood rules!)

IMG_1091.JPG

Penny SG haul from Best Buy travelling on the way home from San Francisco (except for Orange Box which was $5)

IMG_1092.JPG

Print games journalism is alive and well. Finally got my hands on GamesTM #72, as my subscription copy never arrived in the mail *curses USPS*

IMG_1094.JPG

Broke down at Kunokunyia in SF Japantown & bought a few Famitsu's, Arcadia #100 & some manga which I did not take a picture of (Gantz #1 & a random GTA volume for my wife)

MarkMan said:
Has anyone actually put batteries in and used their GA-KO clock!?

I put batteries in mine and the battery area got really hot and melted the bottom casing!!!

:(

:( :( :(

Now I'm not sure if it was a bad battery or it might be the product, just be warned and look out for anyone that tries it.

I've had batteries in my GA-KO for a week now, no problems whatsoever. It's taken a bit to get the alarm to go off just right (at 5pm when my workday ends), but other than that, he's alright.

pein said:
Is your copy of gurren lagann working? code geass and gl were both fucked up and wouldn't play on any of my dvd players

As for my GL dvds, haven't had a chance to watch yet (been busy) but I'll be sure to try it out tonight just to make sure.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
DSC00064.thumbnail.JPG

not much to say here...
DSC0039d6.thumbnail.jpg

the best spend 20€ in a long time - saved me a lot of money already!

but i did buy an ibanez analog delay Ad 202 !!!
no pic because its in our rehearsalroom

maskrider

Bought these in Akihabara today

2008aug-jpn.jpg

- Ponyo on the cliff OST
- Ponyo on the cliff Image OST
- Ponyo on the cliff single
- PSN card 5000 YEN x 3
- DS Sudoku
- DS Nova English game (for my daughter, only because she likes Nova Usagi so much)
- Capsule : Alicia x2, Eleanor x 1

Jason

Ponyo. :D

Was going to pick those up along with some plushies when they come out. :lol

Any word on when the DVD/Blu-ray will hit the streets?

Provider

Jason said:
Ponyo. :D

Was going to pick those up along with some plushies when they come out. :lol

Any word on when the DVD/Blu-ray will hit the streets?

Yeah, me too.

I havn't posted in this thread since january, I'll post my stuff when I get my new camera.

Jason

augpickup3.jpg

Espgaluda and Dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU

Now all I need is Kadey's PS2 so I can play these. :lol

But in the meantime I'll be playing this...:D

augpickup4.jpg

Batsugun

g35twinturbo said:
NICE!

335i?

I plan on picking one up later in the year.

Actually its the 328, the 335 is nice though. I just couldn't justify the extra dough for a slight upgrade. I'm really liking it so far though.

Jason said:
augpickup3.jpg

Espgaluda and Dodonpachi DAI-OU-JOU

Now all I need is Kadey's PS2 so I can play these. :lol

But in the meantime I'll be playing this...:D

augpickup4.jpg

Batsugun
Cave/Toaplan goodness.

Best haul of the thread; narrowly edging out the BMW

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
TaKeRx said:
Goddamn you Rock band/Guitar Hero(iPhone Pic)

Ahh, yet another victim of the game.

Nice guitar, man. Hope the practicing goes well!

AndyIsTheMoney said:
Actually its the 328, the 335 is nice though. I just couldn't justify the extra dough for a slight upgrade. I'm really liking it so far though.

Yeah, it's just the engine management programs that are different, apart from that you get the same 3 liter 6 cylinder. I love the 3 coupe though, it looks beautiful.

Top Bottom