• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Generation Awards

Wow, my recommendations are very good. Some of these I omitted on purpose, but I probably should have at least put a couple on the honorable mention list...

My post, for reference

1. [NGC] Metroid Prime (Action-Adventure) = 18 points
Beat it. To me, Metroid Prime is a very interesting game which I think has OK gameplay but a very, very great world and environment. There's a reason why I always say that I wish Retro would make Zelda. It's because I feel with Zelda's gameplay and Metroid Prime's world, we would be getting the best game ever.

2. [PS2][NGC] Resident Evil 4 (Horror) = 14 points
Played it. I really like this game and don't know why I stopped playing. I only played it on the Wii, but I have a feeling the pointer makes it way better than the GameCube one.

3. [PS2] Shadow of the Colossus (Action-Adventure) = 10 points
Beat it, loved it. But outside the colossi, the game isn't very fun. That said, if the game were strictly ONLY colossi without the "filler", the game wouldn't be as good. It's weird...

4. [PS2] Kingdom Hearts (RPG) = 6 points, 1 honorable mention
Haven't played any Kingdom Hearts game.

5. [PS2][XBX] Metal Gear Solid 2 (Stealth) = 6 points
Beat it. The parser is so good that it recommended MGS 2 over MGS3, which is in line with my feelings. :) I only played Twin Snakes. Not the best game ever, but I did enjoy it a good amount. There's so much hidden depth and things to do in the game, but I don't like it enough to go back.

6. [PC] Civilization IV (Strategy) = 5 points
Haven't played it, but really want to.

7. [NGC] Baten Kaitos (RPG) = 4 points
A friend let me borrow it a couple months ago, and I don't know why I'm not playing it...

8. [GBA] Golden Sun (RPG) = 4 points
Beat it, didn't like it. I don't like most RPGs. I beat it with the help of my friend using an Action Replay on my save file for the last boss.

9. [PS2] Ico (Action-Adventure) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
Have it on PS3, but didn't play it for some reason.

10. [XBX] Jet Set Radio Future (Action) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
I would looove to play this and other SEGA Xbox games, but I have no Xbox. I have the original on Steam and am really enjoying it.

11. [PS2] Metal Gear Solid 3 (Stealth) = 3 points, 1 honorable mention
Played it and stopped for some reason. I liked what I played, though I don't want to play it until I get Subsistence. (I only have Snake Eater.)

12. [PS2] Tales of Legendia (RPG) = 3 points
Really want to play it, despite the warnings from every other Tales fan, haha.

13. [PS2] Kingdom Hearts 2 (RPG) = 3 points
Haven't played it.

14. [XBX][PC] Unreal Tournament 2004 (FPS) = 3 points
Played the original, liked it. I much preferred Quake III Arena, though.

15. [GBA] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (RPG) = 3 points
Didn't play it, am a tiny bit interested in it.

Overside

Banned
Nice list. I dont really care about the placement from 1- to 25 or whatever, because seriously, how do you really or-

What the $^%&?

What the hell is twilight princess doing on there?

Darn Dungeon Zelda fans and their voting for things they like... Enjoy your moment in the sun, for your time is over! With Zelda U, the overworld Zelda shall rise again!

Really though, Super awesome list. I am seriously glad I got to experience the vast majority of the games listed here.

The only thing I vehemently disagree with and feel GAF dropped the ball on is final fantasy X. XII is the superior game in all aspects and if we are including games like shenmue, morrowwind and deus ex, ffx does not deserve the crown. Heck dragon quest VIII was also superior.

I disagree with you on all aspects, in terms of story and music X has it beat.

I still wonder how are y'all getting these recommendation lists.

I still wonder how are y'all getting these recommendation lists.
For some reason it doesn't seem like the results were generated for you.

Code:
    	2. [NGC] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Action-Adventure) = 7 points, 1 honorable mention
	3. [PS2] Ico (Action-Adventure) = 7 points
	4. [PS2][XBX][PC] Silent Hill 2 (Horror) = 7 points
	6. [PS2] Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (Platform) = 5 points
	7. [NGC] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (RPG) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
	8. [NGC] Super Smash Bros. Melee (Fighting) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
	9. [PC] Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death (Strategy) = 3 points
	10. [PS2][XBX] Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Action-Adventure) = 3 points
	11. [NGC] Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (Horror) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
	12. [PS2] Okami (Action-Adventure) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
	14. [PS2] Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (Platform) = 2 points
	15. [XBX][PC] The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (RPG) = 2 points
	16. [PS2] Final Fantasy X (RPG) = 2 points
	17. [PS2][XBX] Burnout 3: Takedown (Racing) = 2 points

Hmmmm here is my recommended list, omitting the things I am confident about saying i've played enough of. Pretty much like GOTY recommends, games that I have no interest in playing end up on the top. I am still not sure what to think about all of this.

The only thing I vehemently disagree with and feel GAF dropped the ball on is final fantasy X. XII is the superior game in all aspects and if we are including games like shenmue, morrowwind and deus ex, ffx does not deserve the crown. Heck dragon quest VIII was also superior.

Gotta agree. I sort of feel like for a lot of people it was their first RPG experience, in the same way that FF7 was for a lot of people, and it had a big impact on them that way.

Honestly though I'd put FFX easily in the bottom three of the series. It's mediocre on nearly all counts, except for maybe music. You're right that FF12 is better in every way though.

Help me out guys. What one should I play next? Bold is played.

1. Resident Evil 4 Loved
2. Metroid Prime Loved
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Shadow of the Colossus Loved
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee Meh
6. Half-Life 2 Loved
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Great
9. Halo: Combat Evolved Loved
10. Final Fantasy X Loved
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4 It's Okay
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Loved
14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City It's Okay
15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Loved
16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
18. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
19. F-Zero GX
20. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
21. Ninja Gaiden It's Okay
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II It's Okay
24. Halo 2 Hated the single player and loved the multiplayer
25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess My least favorite 3d Zelda

Euron

Help me out guys. What one should I play next? Bold is played.

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Super Smash Bros. Melee
6. Half-Life 2
7. Metal Gear Solid 2
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
9. Halo: Combat Evolved
10. Final Fantasy X
11. Silent Hill 2
12. Persona 4
13. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
14. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
15. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
16. World of Warcraft
17. Deus Ex
18. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
19. F-Zero GX
20. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
21. Ninja Gaiden
22. Devil May Cry 3
23. Diablo II
24. Halo 2
25. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Definitely MGS3 since MGS5 is coming out in a few months. Get the Subsistence version. It and Peace Walker are the prequels to MGS5 so you'll understand the story more going into it if you play those and Ground Zeroes. Plus it has the greatest ending out of any video game ever.

Definitely MGS3 since MGS5 is coming out in a few months. Get the Subsistence version. It and Peace Walker are the prequels to MGS5 so you'll understand the story more going into it if you play those and Ground Zeroes. Plus it has the greatest ending out of any video game ever.

Will do thanks!

Top Bottom