• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

So it deserves a top 10 place just because it has good sound and graphics?

The top 10 all have one thing in common they all had strong Single Player modes something BF3 with it's rushed terrible attempt did not.

It seemed that having a solid Single Player was more important to Gaf this year.
It deserves a top ten on my list because it blew my mind with it's addictive on line gameplay and amazing effects and animation/sound/scope ect.So it ticked all the boxes that make a game good, except for The area it was lacking, which was the single player experience, a very average campaign indeed.That's why a place at around 6 would of been fair.And if Gaf went for the single player experience this year, uncharted 3 should of won.But I am glad to see that dead space 2 wasn't overl looked.I was worried that it wouldn't get the love it deserved.Nice Gaf.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it possible that Tactics Ogre was counted in the RPG category instead of the Strategy category?

Only way I can see it not showing up. My count might be wrong, but I came up 189 just now, which would easily top the strategy side.

Solo

Holy shit, The Witcher 2 in the Top 10! This alone redeems GAF for choosing an awful GOTY almost every year.

So, with all the sound and fury Skyrim got for being a buggy, broken mess, it still is that highly regarded?

I suppose either a lot of people enjoy it regardless of bugs, or the amount of bugs most people experience really isn't all that high as a vocal minority would lead you to believe. I've experienced only a minimal amount of bugs, for instance.

McNum

Not a bad list at all. Portal 2 winning is not that big a surprise, it had so many 2-4 positions while the top slot was different on most lists.

I am happy to see Xenoblade do as well as it did. For an EU only release in 2011, a 12th place is pretty respectable. Also, I got quoted on it! Yay.

krYlon

Only way I can see it not showing up. My count might be wrong, but I came up 189 just now, which would easily top the strategy side.

So why is it not in the top 10 handheld list?? It should be in the top 5 from what I can see.

I just don't think it has been counted.

Why shouldn't remakes be counted? Why is OoT in the handheld list then? Any game which is released in 2011 should be eligible as long as someone is willing to vote for it. Any other sort of rule seems dumb and not transparent.
I'm on your side man, I'm a huge Tactics Ogre fan and I definitely think it should be counted. Like I said, it was number 4 on my list.

Papercuts

So why is it not in the top 10 handheld list?? It should be in the top 5 from what I can see.

I just don't think it has been counted.

I actually saw posts about the game specifically and this was the last thing said on it, so it does count. Not sure what's up with it.

duckroll

I'm on your side man, I'm a huge Tactics Ogre fan and I definitely think it should be counted. Like I said, it was number 4 on my list.

I wouldn't care if the game legitimately didn't get enough votes to show up anywhere. I just think that if we do a GOTY thread, we should have total transparency and let everyone vote what they want. There is no point to having specific rules which serve to exclude games which are released within that year, and which people want to vote for. Makes no sense to me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it possible that Tactics Ogre was counted in the RPG category instead of the Strategy category?

I don't really get the idea of games being counted in only one genre when they cross them, though that is possible.

Then again, Catherine is inexplicably not being counted in the puzzle game category despite being a puzzle game, so who knows.

And I still say Xenoblade technically qualifies as a New IP (which it would win if it was counted as such), though I also understand the reason for not including it there.

Number 1 on mine.

:(
Yeah man, I remember how much time you spent with it!

I wouldn't care if the game legitimately didn't get enough votes to show up anywhere. I just think that if we do a GOTY thread, we should have total transparency and let everyone vote what they want. There is no point to having specific rules which serve to exclude games which are released within that year, and which people want to vote for. Makes no sense to me.
Agreed!

Haunted

From the voting thread:

Remakes and significant upgrades to games count.
Ports that are basically “HD ports” of existing games with no changes besides upscaling the game do not count.
I haven't played Tactics Ogre - but it looks like Cheesemeister accidentally counted it in the second category (I assume things have been changed to make it a proper remake and not an HD port).

Cheese running the script again and timetokill inserting Tactics Ogre into the awards should be an easy fix to do.

edit:
I actually saw posts about the game specifically and this was the last thing said on it, so it does count. Not sure what's up with it.
Yeah, seems like a mistake/oversight, the game not being added to the eligible list.

Again, should be easy to fix. :)

Nert

Looking back at the voting thread, I don't see Tactics Ogre listed as a game that was eligible for voting.

THIS LIST IS NOT COMPREHENSIVE. If you don't see your favorite game on this list, and if fits the above criteria, vote for it! It will be added to this list.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure
Sniper: Ghost Warrior
SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs
Sonic Generations
Sora no Otoshimono Forte: Dreamy Season
Soukoku no Kusabi: Hiiro no Kakera 3 DS
Spacechem
Spider-Man: Edge of Time
SpongeBob SquigglePants
Star Fox 64 3D
Star Wars: The Old Republic
Steel Diver
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Super Sentai Battle Ranger Cross
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Survivor
Terraria
Terror of the Stratus
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Tetris: Axis
The $1,000,000 Pyramid
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
The Binding of Isaac
The Black Eyed Peas Experience
The Cursed Crusade
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The First Templar
The Hidden

Seda

Yeah Cheese told me it should count. But Tactics Ogre never did show up in the original listing of games, and maybe that messed up the counting?

ieHyXVoE4Rxas.png

Khezu

Yay for witcher 2, dark souls, Dues ex, and I guess skyrim. Eh for portal 2, and fucking awesome MK won something.

Evlar

Banned

Well, there need to be some rules; as an example I feel the Pokemon Rule (that near-identical releases of a game should be counted as one) is necessary to make sure those types of games actually get their proper place, and don't spam up the lists.

krYlon

Just to throw another thing in there. Fundamentally, what is the difference between Ocarina 3DS and the ICO/SotC collection?

One is a visual upgrade with added 3D, the other is... wait a minute.
You get my point.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Really glad that Trails in the Sky and Catherine had recognition. :)

duckroll

Well, there need to be some rules; as an example I feel the Pokemon Rule (that near-identical releases of a game should be counted as one) is necessary to make sure those types of games actually get their proper place, and don't spam up the lists.

Sure, I agree with that. I'm not saying that there should be no rules and that the people organizing this wasted their time and effort. Far from that. I'm saying that rules should only be used to organize data, not to exclude things based on some arbitrary decision of the organizers which not every person might agree with. Counting variant releases of the same game (Pokemon) as a single title is not exclusion.

Well, they must have made a mistake then. They might not know what type of game it is!
To be fair, it is often called a strategy RPG so it can arguably fit in either genre. I think all the bellyaching about genres is a bit much, before you know we'll have to have votes before the game of the year votes to decide on every game's proper genre, which can be a bit of a vague process.

I do agree Tactics Ogre should be counted, but I think just pointing that out and getting it corrected is fine, rather than questioning the entire process. They put a lot of work into this, and it's petty to rail against it so hard due to one minor (and easily correctable) mistake.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
The crying over Mortal Kombat winning best fighter is awesome.

And Mario Kart 7 best racing game and not Forza 4? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???

StuBurns

Banned
Just to throw another thing in there. Fundamentally, what is the difference between Ocarina 3DS and the ICO/SotC collection?

You get my point.
That stuff was really stupid.

Ports are okay as long as there's a short gap too, Limbo counts because it's coming to a new platform? So is Ico/SotC HD.

duckroll

I do agree Tactics Ogre should be counted, but I think just pointing that out and getting it corrected is fine, rather than questioning the entire process. They put a lot of work into this, and it's petty to rail against it so hard due to one minor (and easily correctable) mistake.

We must stand up for what we believe in. We will rail against it as hard as we have to until our demands are met!

Here are the people who would sit and do nothing:

uVIGW.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
I think UC3 is too high, TBH

I'm very glad Portal 2 won though.

I finished UC3 this weekend, and its placing is about where I expected it to be on GAF. I agree it's a little too high, but I haven't tried the MP yet either.

Batman AC is the one who stood out to me. Solid game, just not GotY-material for me.

krYlon

To be fair, it is often called a strategy RPG so it can arguably fit in either genre. I think all the bellyaching about genres is a bit much, before you know we'll have to have votes before the game of the year votes to decide on every game's proper genre, which can be a bit of a vague process.

But surely they should know it is a PSP game, and therefore handheld?

But fair enough, they have put a lot of work in, I'm sure everything will be alright once they add it in :)

Haunted

Sure, I agree with that. I'm not saying that there should be no rules and that the people organizing this wasted their time and effort. Far from that. I'm saying that rules should only be used to organize data, not to exclude things based on some arbitrary decision of the organizers which not every person might agree with. Counting variant releases of the same game (Pokemon) as a single title is not exclusion.
Again, fairly certain it was an honest mistake, as we have a direct quote from Cheese that it was eligible.

PM him to run the script once more for Tactics Ogre. Or just wait until he comes into this thread and realises the error.

Papercuts

You get my point.

The 3ds oot had new models and retextures, on top of adding new controls via the gyro, so it was more substantial. FWIW I never really understood why HD rereleases don't count.

I think Portal 2 will be a much less controversial goty than Skyrim would have been in years to come. It was more universally liked even if it wasn't everyone's #1 for the year.

NIGHT-

I don't know if MGS4 would have even gotten 5th this year, but the year it came it the competition wasn't exactly strong.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Playstation 3)
2. LittleBigPlanet (Playstation 3)
3. Fallout 3 (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
4. Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360)
5. Gears of War 2 (Xbox 360)
6. Grand Theft Auto IV (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
7. Dead Space (PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360)
8. Fable II (Xbox 360)
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
10. Braid (Xbox 360)

The worst thing people usually complain about in MGS4 is the story being silly, but all the other games on that list were either pretty generic shooters, by the number sequels, or had some giant problems to go with the good gameplay like the GTA4 friend junk, LBP's floatty platforming controls, or the completely terribly buggy fallout 3. MGS was the only reasonable choice of those top 10 outside of braid, but I don't think people like thinking of cheap downloadable titles as GotY worthy even today.

Anyhow I think that 2008 list should really allow us to step back and look at how great 2011 truly was. It will probably be a few years until we reach this level greatness again.

MGS4 and Little Big Planet in top 10? Awful voting that year Gaf!!!

Haunted

btw, I personally think the Ueda collection should've counted, since both games got new textures, and the inclusion of both games in one package creates a new SKU anyway.

I mean, I wouldn't have voted for it in my Top 10, but it should have been eligible. I'm fine with simple rereleases not counting (like VC or games on demand), but it's clear that the Ueda collection is its own thing.

btw, I personally think the Ueda collection should've counted, since both games got new textures, and the inclusion of both games in one package creates a new SKU anyway.

I mean, I wouldn't have voted for it in my Top 10, but it should have been eligible. :p
So MGS HD collection for GOTY, then? :p

VerTiGo

Banned
A better feature list does not make a better game. Saying Mortal Kombat is a more complete package is utter nonsense. Even if you use that as an excuse to perceive as if it's more value for each dollar spent is an absolute lie as well. It always will come down to local or online versus competitive play, even if its two ten year old brothers playing against each other. And since it's on the competitive level, whereas Mortal Kombat is not, and rightfully so, you better believe that each person who spent 40$ on UMvC3 is getting plenty of value.

So what is the more complete package? What do you seriously believe gets the more playtime? I blame this all on neoGAF's fight game community. We are too busy watching streams and participating in community threads that everything else on the forum goes unnoticed. It's the only thing that makes sense... especially since the fight game community on GAF is probably one of the largest active groups on this very forum.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was robbed. I'm hoping for a fallout.

Even worse is that King of Fighters is a much more deserving game than Mortal Kombat too. What is this shit? Seriously.

Funny thing is, I am more pleased with GAF's GotY than any other.

krYlon

The 3ds oot had new models and retextures, on top of adding new controls via the gyro, so it was more substantial. FWIW I never really understood why HD rereleases don't count.

Yeah, there's too much of a grey area. Where do you draw the line?

To be honest I wanted to vote for games that had English translation patches released for them last year.
But I daren't ask in the main thread because I didn't want to confuse things further. Good thing too!

duckroll

This is why exclusion is lame. It makes no sense. If a port came out in 2011, and for someone that port is somehow his or her GOTY, why shouldn't it count? If enough people feel that way and such a port becomes the GOTY, it is not unfair to the other games which lost a position because of it. Instead it says something about the rest of the new games if people don't like them as much.

Top Bottom