• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

Tactics Ogre got a LOT of votes. It's clear that it hasn't been counted, probably because it's a remake.

Frankly though, it had much more of an overhaul than Ocarina did, at least gameplay/mechanics wise. So I find it very strange.

Also, Corpse Party should be in the top horror games category. That needs to be changed.
Wow... that's too bad. It's definitely a remake but you are right in that the changes were quite significant. I could see how it would be easy to brush the changes off if you haven't played the game since the visual style is mostly unchanged but the under the hood stuff was really substantial. OoT 3D was definitely less of an overhaul.

Well this displeases me.I think portal was a fantastic game, maybe I am just one of the few whom it just didn't resonate with.I am shocked that battlefield 3 received so little love, that game blew my senses away.But then again I was playing on a super high end system with state of the art sound.So my experience would differ from say someone who plays it on a small tv with standard speakers on a playstation or something.

Anyways, well Done Portal 2.And to valve, I would be happier for your victory if you would please announce half-life 3, but alas, some things will just never come to be.....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LOL, I wish I could play Portal 2, but first-person-perspective games in 3D and I just don't mix well.

Tactics Ogre got a LOT of votes. It's clear that it hasn't been counted, probably because it's a remake.

Frankly though, it had much more of an overhaul than Ocarina did, at least gameplay/mechanics wise. So I find it very strange.

Also, Corpse Party should be in the top horror games category. That needs to be changed.
Ack, you're right! D:

Visual style is unchanged, but it's a hell of a lot different from the version I played on the PS1 since the gameplay got quite an overhaul. How odd. :/

I am shocked that battlefield 3 received so little love, that game blew my senses away.But then again I was playing on a super high end system with state of the art sound.So my experience would differ from say someone who plays it on a small tv with standard speakers on a playstation or something.

There is more to a game than graphics.

BF3 do have awesome graphics and sound, but I felt that it was to much of an "instant kill"-game for me to feel that it was any fun to actually play.

ultron87

Yay Portal 2! I'm actually pretty happy with that top 10. Only complaint is that Saint's Row didn't crack it.

Also, You Don't Know Jack only getting 20 points makes me a sad person.

Dabanton

Judging by the OT, most people appreciated how cool a lot of the meta stuff was in SR3, but that was overshadowed by how painfully average the game was.

In that thread i always got the impression some people were stretching every sinew to have us believe how great SR3 is. I'm playing through the game nightly and it is terribly average, shame as it looks so good.

Great work as always, good to see Rayman make the Top 20, it's fantastic. I'm not sure the results before the extension actually would provide much useful info though, because I'm sure there are many (like me) who would have voted by the original deadline but held off their vote due to the extension. In other words, plenty of people who voted after the original deadline would have voted before it had that stayed in place.

There is more to a game than graphics.

BF3 do have awesome graphics and sound, but I felt that it was to much of an "instant kill"-game for me to feel that it was any fun to actually play.

Your absolutely right, but battlefield 3 set a new technical bar in terms of sound and graphics ,it deserved a place in the top ten maybe a 5 or 6 spot but not the 48 or whatever ridiculous high spot it did get, a sad day indeed.

Dabanton

Your absolutely right, but battlefield 3 set a new technical bar in terms of sound and graphics ,it deserved a place in the top ten maybe a 5 or 6 spot but not the 48 or whatever ridiculous high spot it did get, a sad day indeed.

So it deserves a top 10 place just because it has good sound and graphics?

The top 10 all have one thing in common they all had strong Single Player modes something BF3 with it's rushed terrible attempt did not.

It seemed that having a solid Single Player was more important to Gaf this year.

I can't agree that Portal 2 was the best game of the year. It was a fun experience at best, frustrating at worst, but didn't feel substantive enough for it to really have a lasting impact on me. Maybe it's the fact that it's only an 8 hour game, but it just didn't do it for me.

It's sad that more people didn't play Saints Row The Third... such a fun, stupid game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
My taste diverged pretty wildly from the mainstream this year, hahaha.

1. Hamilton's Great Adventure <-- presumably got very few votes
2. Adventures of Shuggy <-- presumably got no votes other than me
3. Bastion <-- GAF's #14
4. You Don't Know Jack <-- got a few votes other than me
5. Tiny Tower <-- got a few votes other than me
6. Stacking <-- presumably got no votes other than me.
7. Bulletstorm <-- didn't make top 20, but got a pretty good number of votes
8. Portal 2 <-- GAF's #1
9. ilomilo <-- presumably got no votes other than me
10. Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer <-- presumably got no votes other than me
(My ballot: part 1, part 2)

I have noticed that despite finishing like 50+ 2011 releases, I haven't played many of the highly ranked games, so I'll have to check some of them out. In particular I regret missing Ghost Trick, and I look forward to Xenoblade.
As did mine! I'd like to see the full Digital-Only list, there were a lot of great titles released last year and everyone should know about them.

Grimmy

Banned

I find the TACTICS OGRE exclusion very troubling, especially since, as you said, OCARINA was counted.

I really hope Cheesemeister has an explanation for this.

I can't agree that Portal 2 was the best game of the year. It was a fun experience at best, frustrating at worst, but didn't feel substantive enough for it to really have a lasting impact on me. Maybe it's the fact that it's only an 8 hour game, but it just didn't do it for me.

It's sad that more people didn't play Saints Row The Third... such a fun, stupid game.

It seems strange that an 8 hour game cannot be GOTY to you, but whatever floats your boat. :)

Lothars

I find the TACTICS OGRE exclusion very troubling, especially since, as you said, OCARINA was counted.

I really hope Cheesemeister has an explanation for this.
It's a strange rule anyway since it seems to exclude some games that shouldn't have been.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Witcher 2 and Mario Land being in the top 10 surprise me. I don't think we ever had a non-Valve/Blizzard PC exclusive title to crack the top 10. And a handheld game getting high up also beats another trend we had going for the past few years.

I actually like the list this year. I've put in time to 6 of the top 10, beat 4. And only one choice being a terrible entry, with two being my number 1 and 2. What I expected to do well, exceeded it.

Anyways looking at my list.
Deus Ex:HR: Number 3. I was expecting top 10, but not in the top 3. Its like Bayonetta getting it last year. <3.
Witcher 2: Wasn't expecting top 10, got in. <3
Bulletstorm: Wasn't expecting it to place since it seems loved by a small contingent. So I'm happy to see it on a few of the chosen people's list.
Orcs Must Die: Its an overused genre, but the game oozed charm and polished. Wasn't expecting it to place.
Outland: People cry out for a new 2D Metriod, Castlevania, or another side scroller. This does everything right. I knew it wasn't going to place, but I still had hopes for it.

So I still have Uncharted 3 lying around somewhere (was complaining about U2 in a thread late last year...).

Would I be satisfied running through it on easy?

tc farks

Dark Souls, as has been mentioned a couple times, winning the high quality award is good to see. Over 3 points per vote is impressive, and basically was the GOTY for the people who actually played it. The people who wanted that type of game were extremely satisfied, if it was more accessible and widely played it would have certainly been interesting to see what that would do to its placing. I saw Dark Souls being the only votes for some people's GOTY, going to show the fervor behind this game and what it does to you when you partake. A really special game, an experience I've never had rivaled in my long gaming history.

Dues Ex was my #2, and though I didn't get back to editing my post, Skyrim would have been my #3. Since I haven't played Portal 2, the top end of this list is pretty agreeable with my tastes. Since I loved Portal, I'm sure P2 will rank high with me as well.

Curufinwe

The exclusion of Tactics Ogre is bizarre, and I also find it weird that Driver San Francisco didn't get more than 14 points and end up on the top 5 racing games list. I saw it on more than a few people's top 10 lists.

d00d3n

Sorry, man, but a game shouldn't be disqualified just because it's not "original enough." Portal 2 is a fantastic game and completely, utterly deserves it.

I disagree with this. Originality should be one of the main parameters when determining GOTY candidates, or when evaluating games in general. Initially well-received games that get forgotten are usually unoriginal (for example DKC, Donkey Kong 64, Duke Nukem, the sequels of many music games) and initially criticized games that get remembered are almost always original (for example Mirror's Edge, Alpha Protocol, The Darkness).

I disagree with this. Originality should be one of the main parameters when determining GOTY candidates, or when evaluating games in general. Initially well-received games that get forgotten are usually unoriginal (for example DKC, Donkey Kong 64, Duke Nukem, the sequels of many music games) and initially criticized games that get remembered are almost always original (for example Mirror's Edge, Alpha Protocol, The Darkness).
Donkey Kong Country is forgotten? Not in my world, man. Not in Nintendo's either, apparently, given the release of DKCR.

Otherwise I agree that originality should be taken into consideration when choosing your GOTY, although that consideration will probably take care of itself most of the time since originality will most likely positively affect your experience with a game (even if you don't realize it).

Top Bottom