• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The only reason why that happened was because it was put up so late and two unofficial SotY threads were created prior to the official SotY thread (and thus people got kind of sick of being told to come back and vote). The SotY thread should remain separate since there are two people who know the musical genre pretty well managing that thread.

What you say implies that SoTY 2010 faired better, but it didn't. In fact, if it weren't for the final few bumps from GhaleonQ and Nert, the voting thread for SoTY 2010 wouldn't have broken four pages.

I'm not speaking ill of the effort put into the SoTY threads - clearly it's commendable, however community interest at this juncture is severely lacking.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Was hoping Minecraft would at least chart.

Minecraft got some votes in 2009 and a bunch in 2010, so I think it more reflects that a lot of people didn't see Minecraft as 2011 game (or did most of their playing pre-2011) rather than Minecraft not being something that registers on GAF.

Lothars

I usually would be saying something similar about subjective experiences etc...so damn you for that (I kid), but it's moments like these where I won't hide my bias. Mostly because UMvC3 is exponentially better game that Mortal Kombat -- as is Arcade Edition and KoF. Just sayin'...
It is all preference and I feel the same way you do though I do think MK's Story Mode was the best part of that game overall though to me Mortal Kombat is one of the most dissapointing games in recent memory especially compared to other fighters released.

It's just differing opinions though.

NIGHT-

Eligible? Sure, yeah. I think they even recorded some new VA for it.

Wouldn't let it near my Top 50, but if some sad sack wants to vote for it, sure.

Haven't played it yet. Is it true it's missing some effects and scenes from the PS2 games?

Grisby

Eh, kinda iffy on the results for me. Portal 2 was fun but not GOTY due to the pacing issues I had with it. Uncharted 3 wasn't near as good as its predecessor.

On the other hand I'm glad Dead Space made the list as well as Deus Ex. Tons of categories to look at. Thanks to all who were involved.

KorrZ

Dead Space 2 actually making it into the top 10 makes me a happy man. So glad this excellent game wasn't completely forgotten. Also Deus Ex at number 3 fuck yes!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I actually saw the SotY voting or results threads until now, I posted in what was apparently a preliminary thread so it didn't count. Might have been others that fell into that too.

And Portal 2? Huh. My second biggest disappointment of the year after Dark Souls. Xenoblade did well at least, so that's one game I really liked that made it up there (several others I haven't played yet too).

Himself

GAF's opinions really aren't any different from the mainstream press it often derides.

What surprised the shit out of me was Infamous 2 making the top 20. I didn't feel like that game generated any buzz. Maybe if the cover wasn't the worst cover of the generation it would have been played by more people. Anyway, thanks to the list that game has now moved higher up my list of stuff to try.

It's bittersweet seeing Vanquish as #1 for 2010. It was easily my GOTY last year and I hope next time a gem like this comes along we won't get so many "No multiplayer? Short campaign? Not buying" idiots who wait until it's too late to support such an incredible game.

JaseC

The problem with this logic is that every vote in the GOTY thread would have to become two votes, one for games and one for soundtracks, which seems bizarre. If you are only voting for games, you can still split that into genre and platform classifications, but every game has a soundtrack.

And I don't have a problem with that, but I can see why some would. I'm just making the point that merging GoTY and SoTY would give some much-needed exposure to the latter.

It's also only the second soundtrack of the year topic, so it'll probably take time to grow. It's still a struggle just to get other people to not make their own topics before the voting thread is up :p

This is a fair point. Even though the gap is small, the voting thread for SoTY 2011 was indeed larger than that of 2010.

I disagree; I think the small voting pool is a good thing as it indicates that the voting is limited to those with particular interest in the soundtracks. Merging it into the GOTY thread would just have the effect of people without strong opinions filling in the SOTY list just because it's part of the game voting they're actually interested in.

If that's a concern, perhaps make it optional, a la the Honourable Mention. :p Personally, I don't think the amount of people who'd blindly vote for SoTY would outnumber those who rationalise it, but of course there's no way to be certain of that at present.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What you say implies that SoTY 2010 faired better, but it didn't. In fact, if it weren't for the final few bumps from GhaleonQ and Nert, the voting thread for SoTY 2010 wouldn't have broken four pages.

I'm not speaking ill of the effort put into the SoTY threads - clearly it's commendable, however community interest at this juncture is severely lacking.
Point taken. I wasn't on GAF for the 2010 thread, but admittedly, I did find it strange that even with the various music threads spanning pages, the SotY thread didn't seem to garner that many people posting in the thread. It's odd that this unofficial 2011 thread and this unofficial 2011 thread had more votes to spread around than the official thread, though.

But I do think it's better to segment the SotY votes in a separate thread particularly because it somewhat eliminates the attachment the voter might have to the soundtrack in terms of in-game content. It's nice to see people listen to the soundtrack for what it is both in and out of game. I mentioned a few soundtracks where I never played the game at all, for example.

Very pleased to see Portal 2 walk away with the big one.

It had been a long time since I finished a game and felt so content with the experience.

inky

Portal 2 is my GOTY as well. Good going GAF, you have good taste.

Edit: in fact, the top 3 is exactly like mine.

Tunic

I like the list. But I think it is time to check out Portal and Portal 2 finally and see what this love is all about.

A better feature list does not make a better game. Saying Mortal Kombat is a more complete package is utter nonsense. Even if you use that as an excuse to perceive as if it's more value for each dollar spent is an absolute lie as well. It always will come down to local or online versus competitive play, even if its two ten year old brothers playing against each other. And since it's on the competitive level, whereas Mortal Kombat is not, and rightfully so, you better believe that each person who spent 40$ on UMvC3 is getting plenty of value.

So what is the more complete package? What do you seriously believe gets the more playtime? I blame this all on neoGAF's fight game community. We are too busy watching streams and participating in community threads that everything else on the forum goes unnoticed. It's the only thing that makes sense... especially since the fight game community on GAF is probably one of the largest active groups on this very forum.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was robbed. I'm hoping for a fallout.

Even worse is that King of Fighters is a much more deserving game than Mortal Kombat too. What is this shit? Seriously.

Funny thing is, I am more pleased with GAF's GotY than any other.

You shouldn't be so angry that the vast majority of people who play fighters don't actually judge them for the fighting, unlike all the other genres.

Hell, most of the people who follow FGs don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to FG mechanics as well.

JaseC

Point taken. I wasn't on GAF for the 2010 thread, but admittedly, I did find it strange that even with the various music threads spanning pages, the SotY thread didn't seem to garner that many people posting in the thread. It's odd that this unofficial 2011 thread and this unofficial 2011 thread had more votes to spread around than the official thread, though.

But I do think it's better to segment the SotY votes in a separate thread particularly because it somewhat eliminates the attachment the voter might have to the soundtrack in terms of in-game content. It's nice to see people listen to the soundtrack for what it is both in and out of game. I mentioned a few soundtracks where I never played the game at all, for example.

I'm less cynical in this regard, haha. But, hey, who knows - maybe next year SoTY will receive the attention it deserves, thus rendering this discussion moot!

I didn't vote Portal 2, but I'm extremely happy that it made it so neither Skyrim or Zelda won.

^

All in all, a very interesting list and some very interesting data parsed.

Happy to see SR3 as high as it was, delighted to see Deus Ex:HR and Dark Souls in the top 5, and really happy to see Nier had a good showing.

My only real WTFs in the top 10 are probably Zelda and Dead Space 2.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The only game I don't get is Deus Ex. For some reason, it just didn't click with me. It tried to be an RPG, an adventure game, and a cover shooter and in my opinion, failed to stand out in either. I'd rather it just stay focused on one or two over trying to mesh all three genres. I couldn't get a feel for the systems.

My biggest disappointed purchase since Dragon Quest 8.
Maybe I'll go back to it and give it a shot some day, but waaaay too big of a backlog right now.

nice picks everyone. once again a single GAF member outclasses every "bigtime publication" on the block. gametrailers.com/VGA's take note, this is how to categorize and award.

Magnus

I'm a little surprised Portal 2 took it over Skyrim, but consider it a pleasant surprise! Portal 2 was really the only single-player campaign I felt compelled to get and finish as soon as I could upon release. For some reason, all the blockbusters this year lost my interest somewhere along the way.

Well-earned, and much applause.

As usual, pretty much the only Year-End gaming awards I give any sort of shit about. Wonderful.

Thanks to those involved for all the hard work.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know how Zelda is a 'WTF', personally I don't like it, but it was always going to be there. InFamous 2 surprised me. Not that it's not good, I don't know if it is, but I didn't notice any big fuss about it at the time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with the "no ports/rereleases" rule in general, but there are exceptions for remakes or significantly enhanced/remade ports, and I thought TO was asked about in the voting thread and specifically allowed owing to the nature of the release.

I also just noticed that Halo:CE Anniversary was counted.

So Tactics Ogre being left out of the mix is a big WTF.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm less cynical in this regard, haha. But, hey, who knows - maybe next year SoTY will receive the attention it deserves, thus rendering this discussion moot!
lol, I think a small discussion about this was brought up in the SotY voting thread, but I hope the SotY thread goes better next time since it's being put up earlier this time to avoid duplicate threads. :D

To be honest I'm even more pissed about Corpse Party.

Only awesome people know how awesome the PSP is :)

Oh, and I bet Ys I&II doesn't get counted either...
I think I saw someone ask about Ys I&II Chronicles, but never really got a response. I can't remember.

Did Corpse Party even get a lot of votes? It was so close to getting on my GOTY list (binaural Japanese audio!), but I think I did the right thing and included El Shaddai instead.

Kusagari

I don't know how Zelda being in the top 10 is a WTF. If anything a Zelda game being so low on a GAF list is the WTF. Really shows how polarized opinion on Skyward Sword was.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I like these results.

My taste is generally a bit atypical so it's not like I expect to see my own picks validated by the majority, but its good to see most of my picks somewhere in the mix.

2011 was a funny year for me in that I played fewer games then in previous years, yet spent an equivalent amount of time gaming; for example all my top picks (Dark Souls, Batman, and Dead Space2) are games I have played through multiple times/cycles, representing hundreds of hours of fun.

I'm almost (but not quite) ashamed to say that I've not played any of the top3 picks, but I'm confident I'll get around to Portal2 and Deus Ex in time... Skyrim still leaves me utterly indifferent so I doubt I'll bother though.

My only disappointments were the lack of love for Pixeljunk's output over the last year (Shooter2 and Sidescroller are terrific), and the lack of attention Insomniac's Resistance3 got despite it offering the most fun (and least bro-tastic) single player campaign in years.

I'm actually a bit glad to see FPS shooters losing some of their lustre, despite the massive investment in the genre, but it still disappoints me that the more interesting variants are still overshadowed by the multiplayer behemoths of CoD and Battlefield.

On the upside I was stoked to see Nier is still gathering fans, and most of all the Souls' franchise continued ascent in popularity gives me hope for the future.

Yeef

List looks good. There are some games that I haven't played that I thought would be higher (like Ghost Trick) on pure conjecture, but overall, the list is grand.

Kusagari

I find it kind of funny that ME2, even after practically a year of half this forum shitting on it, still tied for third on that list.

StuBurns

Banned
ME2 would have probably done better actually. I imagine it's votes are split between PS3 owners who could vote for it in their 10, and the LTTP votes.

Derrick01

Banned
I approve of the top 3, surprised but pleased Deus Ex scored so high. Well done for once Gaf!

edit: I approved of the top 3 before Dark Souls was put there. Yes I still hate the game.

FatCat

Overall that is a pretty damn good list. Well done GAF for voting. Portal 2 won by a landslide and I have yet to understand why with all the fantastic games out this year. Well done to Valve. I really have to try the game.

Zelda seemed to do pretty well despite all the backlash, Batman did worse than I thought and Xenoblade did pretty well despite it only releasing in Europe last year.

Really happy that Deux Ex got 3rd, it really deserves it. I love that game to bits. Also surprised to see my comments for the game in the OP :)

The only game I don't get is Deus Ex. For some reason, it just didn't click with me. It tried to be an RPG, an adventure game, and a cover shooter and in my opinion, failed to stand out in either. I'd rather it just stay focused on one or two over trying to mesh all three genres. I couldn't get a feel for the systems.

My biggest disappointed purchase since Dragon Quest 8.
Maybe I'll go back to it and give it a shot some day, but waaaay too big of a backlog right now.

That's just what Deus Ex as a series is. It's a first person RPG with shooter combat. I don't really see the "adventure" game part though.

The fact that Vanquish beat RDR and ME2 (a year later) is a beautiful thing. GAF is a bit slow.
Do you mean slow to realize that Vanquish is the true 2010 GOTY or slow to play the game? I think it's the latter, and that most GAF members probably played RDR and ME2 already last year.

The fact that Vanquish beat RDR and ME2 (a year later) is a beautiful thing. GAF is a bit slow.

RDR is my favorite of Rockstar's games just because I genuinely loved something more about it than just its OST, but I'm glad Vanquish beat it. Speaking of slow, Vanquish has a tendency to make you feel that way.

"WTF"-ing over Zelda was because of my personal opinion of the game, and probably the wrong place for the phrase. I feel it's appropriate in regards to Dead Space 2 though as I'm really confused how it ended up where it did.

i'm proud GAF getting no.1 right. Top 10 is very good exepct Skyrim should not be on it and Dead Space is debatable. other than that hats off hivemind.

Top Bottom