• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2011 Awards (Up: bunch of extra data, check it out!)

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really surprised to see Human revolution up there with it's god awful outsourced boss battles and not even quarter assed let alone half assed ending. Ditto for Uncharted since the combat is just so poor but maybe I shouldn't be considering the fanboy mountain of rage/circle jerking the reviews for it were.

Bummed to see Bastion so low, guess alot of people just didn't play it :(

Dark Souls is forgettable? Alrighty then.

I'd say so, this is the first time I've thought about it since I sent it back to gamefly once I hit the broken fps sections and that was almost 2 months ago.

bob page

Really surprised to see Human revolution up there with it's god awful outsourced boss battles and not even quarter assed let alone half assed ending. Ditto for Uncharted since the combat is just so poor but maybe I shouldn't be considering the fanboy mountain of rage/circle jerking the reviews for it were.

I'd say so, this is the first time I've thought about it since I sent it back to gamefly once I hit the broken fps sections and that was almost 2 months ago.

Bastion had a great presentation and polish but was ultimately quite boring.

Nah, I played it, it just wasn't top 10 material. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though, it's just hard to crack the top 10 in a year with the two greatest games of the generation (Dark Souls and Deus Ex: HR).

Tain

Serious Sam 3 didn't even get in the top 5 FPS?
No wonder the FPS genre is in the shitter :(

It really is wild. I mean, there are enough PC dudes here for Witcher 2 to make top ten, yet the best first person shooter in 17 years comes out (and is a Real Deal PC Game, no less), and nobody plays it! Ridiculous stuff.

talkin' about bad combat, man, that Bastion. Not a good time! The visuals are pretty much the only redeeming thing about Bastion, and even they have some issues.

It really is wild. I mean, there are enough PC dudes here for Witcher 2 to make top ten, yet the best first person shooter in 17 years comes out (and is a Real Deal PC Game, no less), and nobody plays it! Ridiculous stuff.

talkin' about bad combat, man, that Bastion. Not a good time! The visuals are pretty much the only redeeming thing about Bastion, and even they have some issues.

The breed of pc master race has changed, especially when Mass Effect 3 beats out Diablo 3 and Dota 2 this year.

krYlon

14th is low? Man I wish some of my choices were that "low".

I played a fair bit of Bastion, and honestly I think there were much better dowloadable games that will end up much lower in the list.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The breed of pc master race has changed, especially when Mass Effect 3 beats out Diablo 3 and Dota 2 this year.

While it is true Mass Effect 3 will probably beat Diablo 3 and Dota 2 (regardless of quality), a lot of that will have to do with it being available on consoles as well as PC. As others have said, there are still a lot more console only gamers on GAF, than there are PC gamers.

Brashnir

14th is low? Man I wish some of my choices were that "low".

I played a fair bit of Bastion, and honestly I think there were much better dowloadable games that will end up much lower in the list.

yeah, Bastion didn't really grab me, either. Though I suppose I should finish it one of these days. It's really short from what I hear.

mr stroke

Great picks all around.

Surprised Battlefield 3 is so low though. Probably the best multiplayer shooter in years. Either shooter fatigue or too many people played the console versions?

Evlar

Banned

I think there is evidence that interest in FPS is waning, at least among the more eclectic gaming population. Thus games like RAGE and Alice are nearly ignored, and games in the first person perspective (Portal 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex) are praised for everything but their shooting mechanics. It is no longer the dominant PC genre... that's moved to RPGs, I think.

I think there is evidence that interest in FPS is waning, at least among the more eclectic gaming population. Thus games like RAGE and Alice are nearly ignored, and games in the first person perspective (Portal 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex) are praised for everything but their shooting mechanics. It is no longer the dominant PC genre... that's moved to RPGs, I think.

Alice isn't a FPS.

Sullichin

Glad to see Dark Souls in the top 5. It's far and away my favorite game of last year, but I know it's not for everybody. Also glad to see Deus Ex up there. I don't get the massive love for Skyrim, but that's ok.

StuBurns

Banned
There were no great high profile console shooters this year, that's why they aren't high on the list. Halo 4 will be there next year, as will BioShock.

Woah. Just noticed that Kirby Mass Attack is #5 for Platformer of the Year, and Kirby Wii is nowhere to be found.

Did Return to DreamLand suck big time or something? I hope not, was looking forward to getting around to it sometime.
Kirby's Return to Dreamland deserves more props (hey, it's on my top 10 list), but I wouldn't read too much into Mass Attack beating it out. Like Canvas Curse before it, Mass Attack is actually one of the better Kirby games out there despite breaking from tradition. It's a more varied, novel, and challenging game than Return to Dreamland, although the latter is certainly no slouch.

So by all means, pick up Return to Dreamland. I personally find it to be one of the more enjoyable traditional Kirby platformers. But don't neglect Mass Attack, which feels fresher and more balanced imo.

Haunted

Wait, Alice? That's a third person action platformer.

AniHawk

Kirby's Return to Dreamland deserves more props (hey, it's on my top 10 list), but I wouldn't read too much into Mass Attack beating it out. Like Canvas Curse before it, Mass Attack is actually one of the better Kirby games out there despite breaking from tradition. It's a more varied, novel, and challenging game than Return to Dreamland, although the latter is certainly no slouch.

So by all means, pick up Return to Dreamland. I personally find it to be one of the more enjoyable traditional Kirby platformers. But don't neglect Mass Attack, which feels fresher and more balanced imo.

mass attack also has some awesome extras. the rpg is a nice little mini game, and the shmup would probably be a $0.99 thing elsewhere.

Haunted

That is by far the bet summation of Skyrim I've yet seen.
C'mon, it's at least waist-deep.

I agree that the magic is gone once you really look behind the curtains, but you can't hook me for 80 hours if I can immediately see what's up.

Skyrim would've made a worthy GAF GOTY as well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

You guys have sold me on it, I just haven't had a chance to play it yet. I missed the Steam sale and I've been preoccupied with other games, but I'm definitely gonna play it soon. I imagine that a lot of PC-Gaf is in the same position.

Dresden

I'm still playing Dark Souls on and off, just popping in to co-op or engage in some jolly gankaperation. Glad enough people appreciated it to get it up there.

Haunted

There were no great high profile console shooters this year, that's why they aren't high on the list. Halo 4 will be there next year, as will BioShock.
Didn't Battlefield and Modern Warfare sell like 20 million copies combined? That's high profile, even if the constant barrage and yearly sequels seem to have finally led a big part of GAF to reject the games, or at least MW3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I probably broke the game very early on by doing the Mage's Guild first, follows by stumbling upon a bunch of near identical caves with nothing in them and the same rotating block puzzle. I've said this a billion times on this board in the past month alone, but everything completely fell apart when I became arch-mage with level one magic, and stumbled into caves with nothing but shitty level-scaled loot. I just see the strings and duct-tape holding everything together too easily, now.

"oh, this again."

Opiate

Portal 2 is the first GAF GoTY with multiplayer that (I feel) is central to the experience -- or, more importantly, where people bought the game with multiplayer in mind -- but it's still a single player game first and foremost, and is quickly followed by Skyrim and Deus Ex, two exclusively single player games.

GAF remains enamoured with story driven, single player games, although this year was at least less severe than years past. We'll need to see if this indicates a gradual trend away from this intense preference or not.

AniHawk

GAF remains enamoured with story driven, single player games -- although this year was at least less severe than years past. We'll need to see if this indicates a gradual trend away from this exclusive preference or not.

the industry is like this in general. you can throw in 'western-developed' for good measure.

An ocean three inches deep is pretty much the description of every Bethesda game honestly. The nerdly obsession with quantity over quality -- because it's easier to use as a bullet-point in a list-war -- ruins everything.

You guys have sold me on it, I just haven't had a chance to play it yet. I missed the Steam sale and I've been preoccupied with other games, but I'm definitely gonna play it soon. I imagine that a lot of PC-Gaf is in the same position.

I got it for Christmas from a friend but I just haven't got around to it yet. Also comfy-couching so I'd need to organise a better mouse and keys solution.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
One of these days I'll replace my power supply and play Witcher 2.

Haunted

Modern Warfare 3, in all probability - on its own - was responsible for 20 million.
I was lowballing it because overestimating it and being corrected would've hurt my point. :p

I was hoping someone who actually tracks and knows the numbers could clear that up for us. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
mass attack also has some awesome extras. the rpg is a nice little mini game, and the shmup would probably be a $0.99 thing elsewhere.
I was genuinely surprised by how great that shump was.

Mass Attack is great, and it provides a little challenge every now and then. Pick both Kirby games up.

StuBurns

Banned
Didn't Battlefield and Modern Warfare sell like 20 million copies combined? That's high profile, even if the constant barrage and yearly sequels seem to have finally led a big part of GAF to reject the games, or at least MW3.
High profile sure, but not great. I'm not saying GAF has better taste than the average game consumer or anything, but Fifa sells about 15 million a year, never gets a look in. Sales don't really seem to matter.

Actually I thought MW3 was the best CoD since 4 personally.

Also, as Opiate mentioned, GAF is still very heavily vested in single player experiences, and it's more rooted in the PS360. That's why Halo 4 and BioShock will be there next year.

I don't necessarily agree with the top 3 choices, but hey, what're ya gonna do? *shrug*

I'm just glad SM3DL and Kirby Mass Attack got their due.

My only gripe with Portal 2 is that is has no replayability, but as a single run-through gaming experience its definitely earned its position.

And it warms my dicktits to see Bulletstorm get #2 FPS :)

Good job as always GAF.

Nert

the industry is like this in general. you can throw in 'western-developed' for good measure.

The industry is actually much more interested in multiplayer and social games than GAF is. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Zynga stuff, Mario Kart, MMOs, games like DOTA 2/League of Legends, Minecraft, dancing games, and rhythm games (well, until they died recently) seem to be where a lot of the buzz and money is at.

Edit: Actually, by "industry," did you just mean people who write about video games? If so, I see where you're coming from.

Portal 2 is the first GAF GoTY with multiplayer that (I feel) is central to the experience -- or, more importantly, where people bought the game with multiplayer in mind -- but it's still a single player game first and foremost, and is quickly followed by Skyrim and Deus Ex, two exclusively single player games.

GAF remains enamoured with story driven, single player games, although this year was at least less severe than years past. We'll need to see if this indicates a gradual trend away from this intense preference or not.

I'm not really sure if I ever see that going away though, especially how GAF votes with a top 10. Not all the time, but in general the time commitment for most multiplayer games (especially if you are picking one as your GOTY) is quite a bit larger then the commitment to finish a story based game. And as such, even a hardcore multiplayer game is relatively likely to only have one or two multiplayer focused games in their top 10 list, and in many cases will also have a few single player games as well. I just see the average gamer being able to finish more single player experiences in an average year, and as such they are going to bulk out the top 10 lists. Multiplayer games are just too all or nothing with a players time to get enough votes to really break up the top lists.

AniHawk

The industry is actually much more interested in multiplayer and social games than GAF is. Call of Duty, Battlefield, Zynga stuff, Mario Kart, MMOs, games like DOTA 2/League of Legends, Minecraft, dancing games, and rhythm games (well, until they died recently) seem to be where a lot of the buzz and money is at.

i should clarify: i mean industry critics. every year since 2007, some western-developed 'pushing the industry forward' with storytelling seems to top the charts.

you might be able to tell by the quotations how i feel about this sort of thing.

xHAASx

Banned
High profile sure, but not great. I'm not saying GAF has better taste than the average game consumer or anything, but Fifa sells about 15 million a year, never gets a look in. Sales don't really seem to matter.

Actually I thought MW3 was the best CoD since 4 personally.

Also, as Opiate mentioned, GAF is still very heavily vested in single player experiences, and it's more rooted in the PS360. That's why Halo 4 and BioShock will be there next year.

FIFA games don't achieve that in the year they are released, which traditionally isn't troublesome for Call of Duty.

And in no manner was MW3 the finest of CoD games since the fourth one. It was a substantial let-down for my part. Not nearly as cunning as Black Ops or as fun as MW2.

StuBurns

Banned
FIFA games don't achieve that in the year they are released, which traditionally isn't troublesome for Call of Duty.

And in no manner was MW3 the finest of CoD games since the fourth one. It was a substantial let-down for my part. Not nearly as cunning as Black Ops or as fun as MW2.
It's irrelevent, the point is it's more popular than anything in the top ten this year. And Fifa 12 was the fastest selling sports game ever. It's only getting bigger.

And I thought BlkOps was garbage.

My only gripe with Portal 2 is that is has no replayability, but as a single run-through gaming experience its definitely earned its position.

And it warms my dicktits to see Bulletstorm get #2 FPS :)

Good job as always GAF.

Yeah, that's what I said in my comment, though I sometimes doubt that because I replayed it four times when it came out. :lol

Top Bottom