• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

carlosrox

Banned
Curry's still have the 55" version if you're in the UK.

Nah, Canada thanks. I might just settle for an older (but still pretty solid) 4k in the end.

I hang out with my bros enough where that CX is basically half mine.

Can't wait to play on it and see what some games and movies look like.

Reactions: MrS

b0bbyJ03

Just got the CX, haven't set it up yet. One thing I'm confused about; can I get 4K with gsync up to 120 hz over HDMI 2.0? I know it can't be done at 10 bit HDR but can it be done at 8 bit SDR with 420 chroma?

MP!

B8 here for a year and a half...
I love it... wish I had more 4K content for it... but I guess next gen is around the corner.
No burn in yet... I play a few hours every day. on saturdays some times I go all day.

link1201

I am looking to upgrade an old 65 Inch LG Plasma for an LG OLED to go along with the new Consoles.

I see the C9 at BB is currently $2,199.99 and the CX is $2,499.99. Is there $ 300 difference in the two Models? If so what are those benefits?

I will Play Halo, Fable and the upgraded version of Spider-man mostly with a bit of Netflix/Prime movie watching thrown in. I will not play PC games on it. I want the best version of the LG Oleds out of the two, money is not a huge hurdle just don't want to waste it.

Any insight/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

dotnotbot

There isn't much reason to go for Sony now because LG's factory calibration is as good if not better. Near-black handling is also very good on CX, improved over C9 which was a big improvement over C8/B9.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There isn't much reason to go for Sony now because LG's factory calibration is as good if not better. Near-black handling is also very good on CX, improved over C9 which was a big improvement over C8/B9.
Not sure I agree with this. All the reviews I've seen point to sonys having better accuracy out of the box. Not to mention better processing and superior motion.

dotnotbot

Not sure I agree with this. All the reviews I've seen point to sonys having better accuracy out of the box. Not to mention better processing and superior motion.

Here you can compare both SDR and HDR factory calibration for all picture modes with A9G or A8H. CX is amazing in expert/cinema modes.

Rtings measures accuracy in SDR only but they found out similar results.

Near black-handling was actually worse on AG9 than E9 (same processing as C9) in this comparison: Sony had flashing artifacts, don't know if they fixed it, vid is from December.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Has the 48 inch CX had a sale yet? Seeing the 55 drop to its price is disappointing. I have limited space for a tv, so the 48 seems a much better choice than anything else on the market.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Here you can compare both SDR and HDR factory calibration for all picture modes with A9G or A8H. CX is amazing in expert/cinema modes.

Rtings measures accuracy in SDR only but they found out similar results.

Here. This directly comapres the two.

dotnotbot

Here. This directly comapres the two.

Edited my post above adding E9 vs AG9 comparison. Sony's near-black processing is actually worse but the smooth gradation option was better (this causes loss of details though). There is something wrong with smooth gradation on the LG X series - in comparison with C9 Vincent mentions that it works much worse, so maybe it's just a bug and LG will fix it.

Motion interpolation is better on Sony of course but it's useless for purists or for gaming anyway. So it depends on your needs. Upscalling also but again, it depends what you watch.

If Sony was better at everything then sure, they would be worth the premium price. But considering that LG is actually better in some areas and has more features, Sony doesn't look impressive. It's worth it only if you watch a lot of sports.

Last edited:
A

Anal Wake

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I wanna buy a C series LG OLED (the newest one available) early next year for next-gen consoles. Should I fear burn ins and image retention?

MrS

Banned
Ok, I wanna buy a C series LG OLED (the newest one available) early next year for next-gen consoles. Should I fear burn ins and image retention?
No. You'll be fine as long as you're not a moron who keeps news channels and static images on the screen 24/7.

Entroyp

I bought an LG CX a couple of weeks ago to be ready for next gen. I’m not worried about burn in or image retention as I’m not planning on playing fifa 24/7 for months.

Awesome image quality (I’m coming from a Samsung LED from 2014). My only complaint is that it seems to make me a bit dizzy sometimes, not sure why.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I bought an LG CX a couple of weeks ago to be ready for next gen. I’m not worried about burn in or image retention as I’m not planning on playing fifa 24/7 for months.

Awesome image quality (I’m coming from a Samsung LED from 2014). My only complaint is that it seems to make me a bit dizzy sometimes, not sure why.
Playing too much 30 fps content without TruMotion? :p

dolabla

Will be an OLED owner this upcoming week! My very first one. Just ordered the 48" CX. Got the 5 year burn in protection plan as well. Wish they had it in at the local Best Buy so I could have picked it up today. I'm stupid excited though. Can not wait to play Ghost of Tsushima and THPS 1+2 on it.

Last edited:

pesaddict

Banned
Will be an OLED owner this upcoming week! My very first one. Just ordered the 48" CX. Got the 5 year burn in protection plan as well. Wish they had it in at the local Best Buy so I could have picked it up today. I'm stupid excited though. Can not wait to play Ghost of Tsushima and THPS 1+2 on it.
Welcome to the party 👌🏾

FunkMiller

Had my CX 65 a week now. Here are my thoughts:

Astounding screen quality. The best I’ve ever seen. Unmatched.
Refresh rate is fabulous.
Out of the box settings are perfectly adequate. Haven’t felt the need to calibrate at all.
OS is clunky and lags behind Samsung.
Was terrifying to wall mount given how thin it is. Makes my new iPhone look chubby.
Not the most streamlined integration with a soundbar.
Lacking some apps.

As a pure gameplay tv it’s a masterpiece, but not the easiest as a multi use box. I’d go Android if you want the biggest amount of stuff, and best OS.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

About to upgrade next week! Sayonara my dear plasma you served me well.
So LG C9 or CX? Anybody went trough this ordeal? Both happen to be in stock where I live...
I'm doing my research and HDTVTest channel and RTINGS reviews push me towards the C9 because of 48Gbps bandwith vs 40Gbps on the CX. Price is a factor also but on paper the C9 seems more future proofed for nvidia 3xxx series?

Ulysses 31

Only if you play the same content for very long periods of time, a few hours a day playing a different game should be fine. I'd make sure your room is dark too before considering OLED.

Max_Po

Banned
So LG C9 or CX? Anybody went trough this ordeal? Both happen to be in stock where I live...
I'm doing my research and HDTVTest channel and RTINGS reviews push me towards the C9 because of 48Gbps bandwith vs 40Gbps on the CX. Price is a factor also but on paper the C9 seems more future proofed for nvidia 3xxx series?

This may help.

J3nga

Not really:
New won't use whole 48Gbps bandwidth.
Both have all HDMI ports 2.1. CX has better motion handling than C9, but C9 is a little brighter, but in general they are very very similar, even physically you couldn't tell which is which. I'd say if C9 is a lot cheaper than CX, go for it, if not then get whichever. I think picking either wouldn't be a miss.

Last edited:

Rikkori

It boils down to HDR 12bit + DTS passthrough (C9) versus BFI 120hz (CX). Personally I would choose C9 but I'm not sensitive to motion at all so BFI is not much of a selling point for me, nor do I play retro games.

J3nga

It boils down to HDR 12bit + DTS passthrough (C9) versus BFI 120hz (CX). Personally I would choose C9 but I'm not sensitive to motion at all so BFI is not much of a selling point for me, nor do I play retro games.
Most users that are buying tv's once a 5 or so years couldn't tell if they are sensitive to motion or not.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Most users that are buying tv's once a 5 or so years couldn't tell if they are sensitive to motion or not.
In my case I did a whole bunch of tests, and went through various scenarios etc. That's why I'm 100% on point with what to buy for myself but it will obviously not translate to others as well. People are a lot more different in their perceptions than it would seem at first glance, but you don't realise it unless you start some serious researching.

poodaddy

Just dropping my hate in here I guess. My LG E9 is one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I can't stop singing OLED's praises now. Spendy, but very much worth it, and it feels like I won't need a new TV for many years as a result of how "future proof" this set is, despite the fact that I usually think the concept of trying to "future proof" anything is absolute nonsense.

Jigga117

12 bit is irrelevant to the decision of any of these tvs since they all are 10bit panels. The only benefit to 48Gbps is that you can do 4k@120hz 12bit 444 which even with the C9 isn't expected to do because.....it is a 10bit panel. Not one manufaacture is mentioning about 12bit any variation when it comes to the products for tvs and surround sounds. 40.1Gbps is all thats needed to get up to 4k@120hz 10bit 444 HDR. Your not getting 12bit 4k@120hz with a series X or PS5 and if you could do it with a GPU why? The new 3000 cards have been verified for 10bit 4k@120hz 444

Last edited:

mistakable

Neo Member
Just dropping my hate in here I guess. My LG E9 is one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I can't stop singing OLED's praises now. Spendy, but very much worth it, and it feels like I won't need a new TV for many years as a result of how "future proof" this set is, despite the fact that I usually think the concept of trying to "future proof" anything is absolute nonsense.
Couldnt agree more.. I got an 55"E9 Just as the x series released and discontinued them, sound quality is great & picture is awesome... the glass panel has me on edge when my lo starts bashing it tho...!!

Jigga117

More like the #1 brand in scamming and spreading bullshit.
Exactly and hides his comments on his YouTube page. Claims he is a professional calibrator but won’t show any credentials or any recommendations along with claiming he served in the military but that’s questionable and on top of that hides his face behind deadpool........yeah.

Venuspower

Exactly and hides his comments on his YouTube page. Claims he is a professional calibrator but won’t show any credentials or any recommendations along with claiming he served in the military but that’s questionable and on top of that hides his face behind deadpool........yeah.

He once made a comparision video where he wanted to show that
SDR looks better than HDR. Of course the "HDR" movie in his movie looked worse.
Guess why...

...the movie he used was not even in HDR. He simply used the SDR-HDR-conversion
feature most HDR TVs have. Those of course suck and made the picture look worse.
Like using the TV in the dynamic picture preset.

In one of his videos he even recommended color settings around 100%. Which is just crazy.
Especially after his claims to a professional calibrator.

There is a reason why people over at the Audio Video Science Forum always joke about him and warn people
when someone brings his videos up.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I saw both Sony and LG Oled's in person and they looked amazing. However, one thing that kinda concerned me is how glassy/reflective the screens are... like there's no matte-ness at all. Would this be a problem if your room has a lot of windows?

We are go for 4K 120hz G-sync. Get your RTX 30's and HDMI2.1 cables!

Edit: I did as the LG presser said, contact local support to get the firmware update. They told me it doesnt work like that, you just have to wait until the fw update is officially released. wtf

Last edited:

Jigga117

Edit: I did as the LG presser said, contact local support to get the firmware update. They told me it doesnt work like that, you just have to wait until the fw update is officially released. wtf

The way it has always worked not sure why Vincent would give this type of instructions vs every firmware released prior

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

They should make it a beta.

Top Bottom