• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokemon Black & White Tournament

Firestorm

Bfqxo.png

Finals
Fallen_Hero vs Reticient_Rhino
---

Elimination Round 2
JVIDICAN vs Fallen_Hero
yeb vs Reticient_Rhino

----

Elimination Round 1
JVIDICAN vs Delio
Fallen_Hero vs finalozzo
yeb vs MatthewB92
HenryGale vs Reticient_Rhino

---

NiwPj.png

Round 1
Ok, change of plans! Since we have both a smaller number of players than the first DP tournament and a not-very-nice number of them for a standard tournament, we'll start off with pool play before going to the single elimination tournament. This gives everyone at least four battles! You will play each person in your division in a best of three match. The top two people from each division will move onto a single elimination bracket. You have until 11:59PM on Tuesday, May 24th to finish all your battles in the division. That's almost three weeks so I expect everyone to finish!

Top 2 will be determined by wins.

Kanto Division
finalozzo - 3654 0471 3709
HenryGale - 0089 1699 7710
Merovin - 2107 7850 9305
vcassano1 - 4470 0160 5012
Wiseblade - 5071 3105 6820

Johto Division
Delio - 3911 7388 7437 - GMT-6
Lone_Prodigy - 3310 4644 4109 - GMT-8
Mush - 3224 5033 4599 - GMT+12
Teknoman - 0647 5085 5917 - GMT-6
yeb - 1463 5574 1979 - GMT-8

Hoenn Division
Andrex - 1764 2003 2436 - GMT-5
Hatchet Man - 4598 8783 9567 - GMT-5
JVIDICAN - 4899 5707 4049 - GMT-5
MatthewB92 - 0218 0116 0010 - GMT-5
Quietus - 0132 1921 5487 - GMT-4

Sinnoh Division
ColtraineGF - 3739 8842 7058 - GMT-5
Fallen_Hero - 4212 3469 3065 - GMT-5
Reticent Rhino - 4598 8769 8112 - GMT-5
UberTag - 1077 0625 2102 - GMT-5
Vanish - 4255 2880 1109 - GMT-5​

CwNn7.png

---

Much like with Diamond and Pearl, I'm holding a GAF Pokemon tournament. This time around, they will mirror Nintendo's rules for the 2011 Video Game Championships. So as a nice little bonus, you'll have a team ready to compete at the closest regional or national competition in the United States, Western Europe, and Japan!

Rules
  • This tournament will be played over WiFi.
  • Pokemon will be level 50. Those under level 50 will stay the same level, those above level 50 will be automatically lowered to 50 for the duration of the battle.
  • You must use the same 6 Pokemon for the duration of the tournament.
  • Each battle will consist of 4 Pokemon per player with 2 Pokemon on the field per player at any given time (Doubles format).
  • You must use the same 6 items on the same 6 Pokemon for the duration of the tournament NEW
  • Each battle will be played best of three and this is a single elimination tournament.
  • You may not use more than one Pokemon with the same Pokedex number.
  • You may not more than one of the same held item.

I'm trying to decide if we will go with the honour system here or if I'll have people send me their teams. I don't want to do the latter as then I wouldn't be able to participate, but we'll see as we get closer to the date it starts.

Bans
The following Pokemon are banned:
  • Pokedex #1 through #493 (all Pokemon before Black & White)
  • Reshiram
  • Zekrom
  • Kyurem
  • Keldeo
  • Meloetta
  • Genesect
  • Victini

The following moves are banned:
  • Sky Drop

Anything you can't legally obtain in the game is obviously banned. Do not cheat.

Confidentiality
Do NOT post your opponent's team or strategy in this thread once you're done with the match. You can say gg or whatever else, but please do not reveal anything about their team or strategy. Pokemon has a LOT to do with prediction and you'd be doing them a disservice. Discussion of what happened is fine after the tournament is over or the person in question is eliminated, but only if they are okay with it.

Errors
- If your press Run, by accident or on purpose, you forfeit the match.
- If there is a communication error, replay the match unless someone had a considerable lead as determined by the tournament host. If someone has a second communication error, we will assume the problem is likely with them and they will have to forfeit the second match that they have an error in.

Voice Chat
Keep Voice Chat OFF during your battles. This helps with the disconnection problems some people have and also keeps people from listening in on the other side to see if the opponent is switching or not (those buttons are loud).

Logistics
This tournament will begin on May 2nd, 2011 (subject to change). You'll have two or three days to finish each match.

Rules may also slightly change depending on if Nintendo changes them for the US / EU tournaments, but that is unlikely. You may sign up until then. I may cap the entries at 32, 64, or some other even number to make it easier so don't wait until the last moment!

Resources
Smogon Introduction to VGC 2011
Smogon VGC Forum
Smogon VGC Analyses Drafts
WishMKR - Competitive Pokemon site
SkarmBliss VGC Analyses
Veekun - Pokedex
Bulbapedia - General Pokemon Info

Current Entrants
  1. Wiseblade - 5071 3105 6820 - GMT
  2. vcassano1 - 4470 0160 5012 - GMT
  3. Teknoman - 0647 5085 5917 - GMT-6
  4. Andrex - 1764 2003 2436 - GMT-5
  5. Hatchet Man - 4598 8783 9567 - GMT-5
  6. MatthewB92 - 0218 0116 0010 - GMT-5
  7. Fallen_Hero - 4212 3469 3065 - GMT-5
  8. Reticent Rhino - 4598 8769 8112 - GMT-5
  9. Delio - 3911 7388 7437 - GMT-6
  10. finalozzo - 3654 0471 3709 - GMT+1
  11. HenryGale - 0089 1699 7710 - GMT-1
  12. Vanish - 4255 2880 1109 - GMT-5
  13. UberTag - 1077 0625 2102 - GMT-5
  14. JVIDICAN - 4899 5707 4049 - GMT-5
  15. Merovin - 2107 7850 9305 - GMT
  16. Lone_Prodigy - 3310 4644 4109 - GMT-8
  17. Mush - 3224 5033 4599 - GMT+12
  18. Quietus - 0132 1921 5487 - GMT-4
  19. ColtraineGF - 3739 8842 7058 - GMT-5
  20. yeb - 1463 5574 1979 - GMT-8

Please post saying you're entering with your friend code and time zone once you have that information.

Firestorm

Oh right, I'll try and put something together for prizes. Maybe I can get someone to RNG the winner some perfect / shiny Pokemon or something. Will update with that.

jman2050 said:
What's the Sky Drop glitch?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sky_Drop_glitch
The Sky Drop glitch is a glitch in Pokémon Black and White Versions that occurs in double and triple battles when Gravity is used while two Pokémon are in the semi-invulnerable state when Sky Drop is used. Due to the glitch, the move Sky Drop was banned in Wi-Fi Random Matches starting November 10, 2010.

Effect
The glitch is activated when Gravity is used while two Pokémon are in the semi-invulnerable state after Sky Drop is used. Gravity will bring the user of Sky Drop down while the target will be stuck in the semi-invulnerable state, unable to move until it is knocked out or switched out.

Firestorm

Right now this is just rules and stuff. Enter once you get your friend code by saying you want to participate. I should be more clear in the OP. I'll edit.

Wiseblade

I'm totally in. I've never really played doubles before, so this should be a fun experience.
FC: 5071 3105 6820
Time Zone: GMT

UberTag

I'd love to participate but I'm not sure whether my copies of Black & White will arrive before all the slots are filled. Went with the cheap deal through Future Shop which means I may end up waiting until a week after street date for them to arrive.

Could I borrow a friends copy for their Friend code and substitute in my actual one when the games arrive?

Firestorm

UberTag said:
I'd love to participate but I'm not sure whether my copies of Black & White will arrive before all the slots are filled. Went with the cheap deal through Future Shop which means I may end up waiting until a week after street date for them to arrive.

Could I borrow a friends copy for their Friend code and substitute in my actual one when the games arrive?
They likely won't fill that fast. And I did the same but BestBuy.ca :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Alright, I was able to get my $10 crappy USB wifi adapter to works as a wireless access point, so sign me up!

UberTag

Quick question for Firestorm... is Victini going to be eligible for use here?
The Smogon Introduction to VGC 2011 article you linked to has Victini excluded from their ruleset yet you don't have him on your exclusion list.

Given his stats and Victory Star ability, I figured it's worth asking about.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
UberTag said:
Quick question for Firestorm... is Victini going to be eligible for use here?
The Smogon Introduction to VGC 2011 article you linked to has Victini excluded from their ruleset yet you don't have him on your exclusion list.

Given his stats and Victory Star ability, I figured it's worth asking about.

Victini shouldn't be overly dominating, and I'd be surprised if he's used over Chandelure (incredible typing and power), Darmanitan (power), Volcarona (Fiery Dance) in most cases. He'll be a threat, but I don't think he should be banned.

Er, but I guess if we're strictly following VGC rules, there he goes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm if you want you can put this in the OP and rely on it for people's FCs:

Firestorm

btkadams said:
this is right during exams so i'm not sure. when's the deadline for signing up?
I'll post in this thread and the official thread when it's close the deadline.
I'll put it in the BBM group too so no worries ;D

Firestorm

Teknoman said:
Im going to double team and sand attack everyone to death.
If you can pull it off let me know. Loved my DT Lugia team last year but can't get anything like it going with this year's rules :( Granted I didn't try for long as I was waiting to get used to the new Pokemon / items using single player first but I think evasion is out for me this year =P

Teknoman

Firestorm said:
If you can pull it off let me know. Loved my DT Lugia team last year but can't get anything like it going with this year's rules :( Granted I didn't try for long as I was waiting to get used to the new Pokemon / items using single player first but I think evasion is out for me this year =P

Oh no I was kidding :p If anything i'll just use a buff or debuff move 2-3 times unless someone starts spamming (like playing a fighting game with fireball spammers). Speaking of items, some of those Battle Subway items look like they'll really cause some wtf faces from opponents, especially Air Balloon.

GMT: -5 (or 6?)

Friend Code: 4212 3469 3065

Can I get some leeway on my start date? I don't get out of class till the 20th so if I do it earlier I'd have to play through a proxy person.

Firestorm

Fallen_Hero said:
GMT: -5 (or 6?)

Friend Code: 4212 3469 3065

Can I get some leeway on my start date? I don't get out of class till the 20th so if I do it earlier I'd have to play through a proxy person.
I may be in the process of moving around that time actually so I might even delay the start to early May.

Mush said:
There's no sleep clause? WTF, why?
Please direct all whining about rules to: http://www.pokemon.com/us/customer-service/

Wiseblade

Teknoman said:
Oh no I was kidding :p If anything i'll just use a buff or debuff move 2-3 times unless someone starts spamming (like playing a fighting game with fireball spammers). Speaking of items, some of those Battle Subway items look like they'll really cause some wtf faces from opponents, especially Air Balloon.
Air balloon is amazing. It's like giving a pokemon Levitate for 1-2 turns. Switch in on an EQ and scare them out/ force them to use a weaker move while you set up/sweep.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Firestorm said:
I think you're referring to what I usually call the genes. No they are not banned.

Bulbapedia terminology. And yes.

Coolio... I suspect someone (not me) is gonna pack their teams full of as many legends and pseudo-legends as the rules allow. :p

Firestorm

Mush said:
I wasn't whining! I was ahh... expressing my concern that there happens to be a Gen V Poke that is able to use Spore.
At least you don't have to worry about Dark Void and Parasect is banned ;)

Top Bottom