• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Pokemon Tournament #2

Firestorm

Round 4 Winner's Bracket
Deadline: Friday October 19th, 2007

temjin
Jiggy37

Loser's Bracket
Division 1
jsrv
yeb

Division 2
Xisiqolemir
WolfofMebu

--------------------------------------------------------
Previous Round Results:
Pools
Round 1
Round 2
Round 3
--------------------------------------------------------

Link to Tournament #1: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159481

Anyway, this is to gauge interest. Are people still interested in Pokemon to enter one of these?

If you entered this last time, only rule changes are that we'll be having pools before the double elimination bracket (more matches for all) and Manaphy is now banned.

Tournament Format
Singles
6 Pokemon per team
LV100 (WiFi automatically sets you to LV100)
Best of 1
Pool Play -> Double Elimination Bracket

This means everyone will be seperated into seperate pools. Everyone will play everyone else in the pool over the course of one week (maybe two). After that, the players with the best record in each pool will move on to a double elimination bracket.

Date and Time
The tournament will begin on September 1st, 2007. You will have 2 - 3 days to finish each battle.

Rules
Sleep Clause
You may only put one of your opponent's Pokemon to sleep at a time. If one Pokemon is sleeping, you may not put another to sleep. Pokemon using the move Rest or asleep due to abilities such as Effect Spore do not count towards this limit. (So if something is Resting, you can still put something else to sleep).

Species Clause
Every Pokemon on your team must be of a different species. So no 6 Charmanders or what have you (as awesome as six Charmanders may be).

Banned Moves
Double Team
Minimize
Guillotine
Horn Drill
Fissure
Sheer Cold

Banned Pokemon
Mewtwo
Mew
Wobbuffet
Lugia
Ho-Oh
Wynaut
Latias
Latios
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Deoxys (ALL forms)
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Manaphy
Darkrai
Arceus

Confidentiality
Do NOT post your opponent's team or strategy in this thread once you're done with the match. You can say gg or whatever else, but please do not reveal anything about their team or strategy. Pokemon has a LOT to do with prediction and you'd be doing them a disservice. Discussion of what happened is fine after the tournament is over or the person in question is eliminted, but only if they are okay with it.

Cheating
If any of your Pokemon have been found to be altered in any way through external means (ie. GameShark, AR, PokeSav), including something as trivial as caught in a different area from where it should be, you will be disqualified from this tournament.

Errors
- If your press Run, by accident or on purpose, you forfeit the match.
- If there is a communication error, the one who had the upper hand at the time of the error wins the match. If someone has a second communication error, we will assume the problem is likely with them and they will have to forfeit the second match that they have an error in.

Please GAF. We are going by the honour system here. I think everyone here is mature enough to make that work.

Voice Chat
Keep Voice Chat OFF during your battles. This helps with the disconnection problems some people have and also keeps people from listening in on the other side to see if the opponent is switching or not (those buttons are loud).

Prizes
There will be a prize pool. First place gets to pick a prize first, Second place gets to pick second, Third place gets to pick third. I don't think we'll have more prizes than that. Please note that prizes will most likely be clones from Emerald Version or something like that. If you do not like clones and are the winner, please say so and I will try and get something for you.

Friend Codes
If you are entering the tournament, submit your friend code information into this database by demi (I think it was him) so we don't need to clutter this post up with 12 digit codes.
http://frostitution.net/wifi/pokemon/

Post here if you'd like to enter and know you'll still be interested in doing this 2 weeks from now. Submit your info in the frostitution database as soon as you post as well.

Entrants (25)
Firestorm
JCX9
Crazymoogle
EphemeralDream
TJ Spyke
Kreed
RagnarokX
explodet
Xisiqomelir
Giard
biggyfries
NeoForte
Jiggy37
FootNinja
jsrv
DarthWufei
WolfofMebu
yeb
Schnicktick
temjin
EBCubs03
LRS
Darkpen
jjgames

I'll play. I still need to get Jiggy his prize from the first tourney though, haven't seen him post for awhile...anyway, the prize will stay in the pokebox until he's available

TJ Spyke

I'm in, I was kind of hoping this would be a doubles tournament though (maybe our next one could be doubles).

My team has been improved from the last one.

Firestorm

purgeface said:
Who ended up winning the first tourney?

Full results are in the old topic (link on first post). Top 3 were:
1. usea
2. yeb
3. Jiggy37

There was one person at least with Manaphy. Not revealing who as that's their team.

Not sure how many people are interested in this one though. Pokemon topic is pretty much dead >.>;

Firestorm said:
Not sure how many people are interested in this one though. Pokemon topic is pretty much dead >.>;

I wanted to keep it up, but damn, even smogon went off the radar once my schedule ratcheted up a notch :(

explodet

I'd be in there, but my online team isn't ready for prime time. I suppose I could be a filler position using my old team if you need someone, though!

TJ Spyke

explodet said:
I'd be in there, but my online team isn't ready for prime time. I suppose I could be a filler position using my old team if you need someone, though!

You can still enter for fun. I didn't bother EV training and my team had big problems, but I still had fun.

Giard

I'd be willing to participate. We all thought the Pokemon thread would still be alive and kicking cause of the European launch, seems we were wrong :/

aw, what the hell, i'll join.

edit:
this will be my first tourney, so i dont know all the ins-n-outs of this, but i was wondering about the banned pokes. wouldnt the legendary dogs, regi's, and the new critters be banned, too, or are they not powerful enough? if there's someplace that explains, then i could pointed to that, if this question's been raised before.

Jiggy

Might as well count me in unofficially for all future NeoGAF Pokemon tournaments ever. >_>

biggyfries said:
this will be my first tourney, so i dont know all the ins-n-outs of this, but i was wondering about the banned pokes. wouldnt the legendary dogs, regi's, and the new critters be banned, too, or are they not powerful enough? if there's someplace that explains, then i could pointed to that, if this question's been raised before.
Nah, they aren't powerful enough.
One reason for it is that total base stats for the legendary trios only add up to 580, which is less than some "normal" breedable Pokemon like Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Dragonite, and Garchomp who hit a total of 600. Another reason is that even if they did hit 600 total, they still have horrible movepools compared to "true" legendaries, so they're not too difficult to counter. Mew is 600, but because it learns almost every move in the game it's overpowered. On the other hand, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Celebi have the same stats as Mew--but without the awesome choice of moves, they're just in line with Tyranitar, etc.

cvxfreak

Crap... I actually can't compete in this one after all.

I'm moving to Japan on September 4 and won't have guaranteed WiFi access until the 15th of September at the absolute earliest.

Sorry. :(

Jiggy37 said:
Nah, they aren't powerful enough.
One reason for it is that total base stats for the legendary trios only add up to 580, which is less than some "normal" breedable Pokemon like Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross, Dragonite, and Garchomp who hit a total of 600. Another reason is that even if they did hit 600 total, they still have horrible movepools compared to "true" legendaries, so they're not too difficult to counter. Mew is 600, but because it learns almost every move in the game it's overpowered. On the other hand, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Celebi have the same stats as Mew--but without the awesome choice of moves, they're just in line with Tyranitar, etc.

thanks for the info, Jiggy. that helps out.

jsrv

I'll join, though I only have 3 trained pokemon. I guess I'll use some fillers or maybe I can train up a couple before the tournament starts. :D Never tried battling through wi-fi before though, but I'll figure it out by then. I'll put my info on the gaf index in a bit.

Also, no item clause?

cvxfreak said:
Crap... I actually can't compete in this one after all.

I'm moving to Japan on September 4 and won't have guaranteed WiFi access until the 15th of September at the absolute earliest.

Sorry. :(

You managed to buy a house there? :eek:

Firestorm

No item clause, only change from last time is Manaphy will be banned (unless someone wants to argue otherwise!)

September 1st - September 7th or 14th will be the time you have to play everyone in your pool. Would people want one or two weeks to do this?

I got a new team I'd like to loose with!:D

I could also help out with prizes, depending on how people feel about cloned pokemon.

yeb

Might as well, count me in. I haven't been playing much lately, so I hope I'm not rusty by the time the tournament begins.

Firestorm

Adumaha said:
Why is Manaphy banned this time?

I usually use the Smogon tier list for these tournaments. After debate and testing on Shoddy Manaphy is banned on there. However, since it's WiFi and the chances of getting a good Manaphy are low... I might change this for us.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Firestorm said:
No need. You have until the 14th to battle your opponents in your pool.
So wait, we are waiting for opponents that will be named later or can we just challenge anyone in the tourny? :eek:

by "your pool" what do you mean?

Edit: Just read the rules and i guess its waiting for an opponent ):

nvm

temjin

Banned
FootNinja said:
Also i hope you removed the hacked pokes from your team, since they are banned in this tourny.
:lol I removed them after that time I battled you :p

Did play in the last tournament, dude?

Bump for more entrants!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Sorry, I'm gonna have to drop out this time. I won't be able to get any time in til this weekend and after that school starts and i'm gonna get my ass kicked by school this year.

Giard

JCX9 said:
When are the brackets going to be put up

If Adumaha drops, we'll be a pair number...brackets should be better than the first tourney.

I just read the first tourney thread, and I'm not in the final results for some reason:lol
Let's hope I do better this time..

EDIT: usea isn't participating?

temjin

Banned
Alrite, it's September 1st (here in Oz), so I'm assuming the tournament begins tomorrow?

What's the dealio?

Top Bottom