• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

And one more bit of news that might be of interest.

Justin and Sara from Unwound have a new band called Nocturnal Habits.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2016/09/14/493759252/vikings-choice-nocturnal-habits-good-grief

dope! I mean song is only decent (definitely does have the Leaves sound—maybe it's just that I don't revere that record the way others do) but those two working together again should make for a good listen.

Also saw earlier today Bissel's health was looking up, glad to hear that. Not to be callous, but I do wonder if that Wrens album will come out this year...

So Local Natives new album, Sunlit Youth, came out last week, just got around to it.

It's interesting, definitely different compared to Hummingbird, although I prefer the sound of the second half of Hummingbird (and Gorilla Manor's Cubism Dreams + Sticky Threads), this album is good.

Honestly this sounds like the album I envisioned Foster The People to make after Torches

Edit: Ok, this album was literally brought in from parallel universe where Foster The People kept their original sound and added in some Foals.

I mean, this album even has a song about a mass shooting like Pumped Up Kicks (Mother Emanuel track on Sunlit Youth, a song about the shooting in the church shooting with Dylann Roof)

Futureman

Angel Olsen MY WOMAN is my AOTY so far I'd say.

Saw her live on Monday and WOW. Her and her band sounded so amazing. Her new album is definitely her best yet. There's a certain energy and feeling that wasn't there on her (amazing) previous albums.

faridmon

I'm new to London. Is there certain areas or venues where you can see cheap local bands play?

Old Blue Last, Birthdays, Shackelwell Arms and Servant Jazz Quarters have free gigs most of the times.

Oslo Hackney, The Moth Club, Scala, Boston Room, Turtle Purple, Brixton Windmill and The Dome have sometimes >£10 gigs.

Local Bands are harder to find since they mostly support bigger bands, but those places are good place to start

yepyepyep

Old Blue Last, Birthdays, Shackelwell Arms and Servant Jazz Quarters have free gigs most of the times.

Oslo Hackney, The Moth Club, Scala, Boston Room, Turtle Purple, Brixton Windmill and The Dome have sometimes >£10 gigs.

Local Bands are harder to find since they mostly support bigger bands, but those places are good place to start

Thanks! Oslo Hackney is pretty close to me and I will probably see Jenny Hval there. I'll check out the others as well.

faridmon

Thanks! Oslo Hackney is pretty close to me and I will probably see Jenny Hval there. I'll check out the others as well.

Lucky because Oslo is brand new (only exists for 2 years!) and is one of the few venues I always wanted to visit since I never went there.

Also check out Hoxton Bar and Kitchen, Notting Hill Arts Club and The Lexington, but they no longer attract the bigger names anymore

For another new venue (and relatively cheap) check out The Pickle Factory and the Oval for more Electronic acts.

Davey Cakes

Just want to chime in on the Lush reunion. I attended their show at the Royale in Boston.

Great set list, and honestly a great performance. After 20 years being broken up since Chris Acland's suicide (and 16 years since doing a concert, I believe) the band was in great form, delivering lots of content for fans. They did all of Gala, most of Split, some of Spooky, and one song from Lovelife, as well as two songs from the new "Blind Spot EP."

It was very loud, except for the more subdued songs. Two encores. I feel they could've scratched one song, maybe, but it's hard to choose. That's just a concert pacing issue though; I bet plenty of attendees enjoyed all the songs extensively. It was quite an energetic experience. Tamaryn set the stage with some nice (almost dance-y) shoegaze content but when Lush came on it was straight into the stuff that really influenced the genre. What I love is the combination of pop, rock, and even a little bit of punk, plus the incorporation of pedals to create that unmistakable ethereal sound.

I was happy with it, to say the least. It was also cute seeing Miki drop f-bombs left and right while she interacted with the audience. I really admire her for coming back to the scene after being a "family and job" woman and presenting herself as no different form her late 80's to mid 90's self. Reminds me of Corin Tucker (of Sleater-Kinney) for the same reasons. Phil was on the ball and so was Emma (who still really understands Lush's unique sound, going by the new EP). I was also thrilled to learn that the drummer, Justin Welch, provided the drums for Elastica, a 90's punk band that put out a strong debut LP.

I'm really thankful for the Lush reunion. Without it I may have not got into the band at all. Truly an underappreciated act, and one that really pioneered the shoegaze genre and took cues from dream pop and britpop. Great stuff, and I was glad to be a part of it.

Just want to chime in on the Lush reunion. I attended their show at the Royale in Boston.

Great set list, and honestly a great performance. After 20 years being broken up since Chris Acland's suicide (and 16 years since doing a concert, I believe) the band was in great form, delivering lots of content for fans. They did all of Gala, most of Split, some of Spooky, and one song from Lovelife, as well as two songs from the new "Blind Spot EP."

It was very loud, except for the more subdued songs. Two encores. I feel they could've scratched one song, maybe, but it's hard to choose. That's just a concert pacing issue though; I bet plenty of attendees enjoyed all the songs extensively. It was quite an energetic experience. Tamaryn set the stage with some nice (almost dance-y) shoegaze content but when Lush came on it was straight into the stuff that really influenced the genre. What I love is the combination of pop, rock, and even a little bit of punk, plus the incorporation of pedals to create that unmistakable ethereal sound.

I was happy with it, to say the least. It was also cute seeing Miki drop f-bombs left and right while she interacted with the audience. I really admire her for coming back to the scene after being a "family and job" woman and presenting herself as no different form her late 80's to mid 90's self. Reminds me of Corin Tucker (of Sleater-Kinney) for the same reasons. Phil was on the ball and so was Emma (who still really understands Lush's unique sound, going by the new EP). I was also thrilled to learn that the drummer, Justin Welch, provided the drums for Elastica, a 90's punk band that put out a strong debut LP.

I'm really thankful for the Lush reunion. Without it I may have not got into the band at all. Truly an underappreciated act, and one that really pioneered the shoegaze genre and took cues from dream pop and britpop. Great stuff, and I was glad to be a part of it.

I was at that show too, it was pretty good. I'm old enough that I'd seen them two or three times back in the 90s as well.

Im in the same boat. Loved both previous albums but this one just feels a bit overproduced imo. Then again, Hummingbird took me a while to appreciate too.

Yea, I think that's my biggest gripe with it. My favorite songs from Local Natives were usually the more simple songs, stuff like Sticky Thread, which is easily one of my favorite songs ever. There isn't much going on, but every note hits so strong, especially during the bridge. (If they play this song live at Boston on the 22nd in October I will be able to die a happy man, please fucking please play this)

The closest thing I got that reminded me of the previous stuff I love so much was Masters. Simple drums, in relation to the rest of the album, it has minimum sampling and the song is just allowed to breath with the instruments and percussion doing simple, but strong hitting melodies, especially during the second half of the song.

So yea, it's disappointing in the fact I'm not going to have an album of the stuff I was looking forward too, but at least what I got I still enjoy.

Davey Cakes

I was at that show too, it was pretty good. I'm old enough that I'd seen them two or three times back in the 90s as well.
I'm a 90's kid so I had pretty much zero exposure to the underground and lesser known acts of the time. That said, maybe it was best that I learned of them after having a tuned ear. Their music certainly isn't your typical rock fare. It's very much it's own thing, taking some influences and being influential as well. I heard one of the biggest issues for Lush back in the 90's was being paired with the wrong acts. You can't necessarily lump them together with the popular grunge bands.

I don't attend many concerts (maybe one or two a year) so it's not hard to please me. As long as the sound is good enough and the set list hits all the right areas, I'm typically satisfied. I've been to some shows at the Royale that weren't the greatest, even for bands I enjoy. For example, I wasn't big on the Deerhunter and St. Vincent shows I went to, but this one worked for some reason. I'm just thankful as all hell that they didn't play the Paradise. That place fucking sucks.

I'm trying to get into Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, can people recommend me their favourite tunes.

For reference I adore O Children (not much to go on I know)

King_Moc

Banned
I'm trying to get into Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, can people recommend me their favourite tunes.

For reference I adore O Children (not much to go on I know)

My favourite album is probably Abattoir Blues & the Lyre of Orpheus, which O Children is from. It's 2 discs, but is pretty much excellent all the way though.

My favourite songs are Mercy Seat, There She Goes My Beautiful World and Jubilee Street. Jubilee Street live is just incredible.

What gigs do you guys have lined up for the rest of the year? Money allowing, I want to go see (all in Bristol, UK)...

Perturbator
Daughter
65daysofstatic
Mono
Low
Frightened Rabbit
Boris

Saw Cold Cave last night. Think the only definite thing up next is Preoccupations. I might try and hit up Mitski again as she's coming back around.

King_Moc

Banned
What gigs do you guys have lined up for the rest of the year? Money allowing, I want to go see (all in Bristol, UK)...

Perturbator
Daughter
65daysofstatic
Mono
Low
Frightened Rabbit
Boris

Off the top of my head...

Girl Band
The Future of the Left
Super Furry Animals
65daysofstatic
Ash
Joanna Gruesome
Hinds
Hooton Tennis Club

I think there may be a couple more, but I keep them listed on my laptop which i'm not on.

Also seeing The Fall and Flaming Lips in January. And I saw Primal Scream, James and Wolf Alice last night.

Linius

For now it's:

PJ Harvey
Zig Zags
Le Guess Who Festival
The Cure
Hooton Tennis Club
Girl Band
Psychic Ills
Nicolas Jaar

Really cut down the amount of gigs I'm attending compared to previous years.

Drahcir

And I saw Primal Scream, James and Wolf Alice last night.

How were Primal Scream? I'm a huge fan, but have never seen them live. I wish I could've seen them back in the XTRMNTR era. They're playing LA in November and they don't come here very often and I want to go, but I want my first live impression of them to be a good one. :)

King_Moc

Banned
PJ Harvey! There's one I forgot. Embarrassing seeing as how much I love her to bits.

Also, I'm seeing Ezra Furman and, completely randomly, Jazzy Jeff of Fresh Prince fame.

How were Primal Scream? I'm a huge fan, but have never seen them live. I wish I could've seen them back in the XTRMNTR era. They're playing LA in November and they don't come here very often and I want to go, but I want my first live impression of them to be a good one. :)

Just go. They're very good live and always entertaining. They do pretty much just crank out the hits though, so don't expect an album track off of one of your favourites or anything.

They were best around 2003, with Mani, Kevin Shields and Throb in the band and performing off the back of the insanely good trilogy of Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR and Evil Heat but don't let that put you off. They're still very good now. Bobby Gillespie is a hell of a frontman.

faridmon

Perturbator
Daughter
65daysofstatic
Mono
Low
Frightened Rabbit
Boris

Alex Ohm + Westerman
Colleen Green
Yung
Palm Honey
Oscar
Ultimate Painting
Mura Masa (Maybe, if I can find a ticket)
Aurora (If I have money!)
Babeheaven (Maybe!)
Black Honey + Dream Wife
Beach baby
Demob Happy + Tigercubs

Amber Arcedes
Drowners (Maybe, if I have money!)
Dune Rats + ZZ Deathrays
All Tvvins (Maybe!)
TOY
Japanese Breakfast
Lets Eat Grandma
Las Kellies (Maybe since its in Coventry!)
The Japanese House
Flamingods (Maybe!)
Merchandise
TRAAMS
Mutant Monster
NIMMO
Munice Girls
Beans On Toast (If it doesn't sell out!)
The Night Cafe

I'll be going to All Years Leaving Festival and Le Guess Who festival.

Needless to say, I am gonna be broke in the new year.

Messer
Preoccupations
Death Grips
Allah-Las
Mystic Braves
DZ Deathrays & Dune Rats
Jaqwar Ma (Maybe)
Pup (Maybe)
Deap Valley (Maybe)
Otherkin (Maybe)
Dota (Maybe)
BOY (Maybe)
Me and my Drummer (Maybe)

The maybe stuff is all Reeperbahnfestival. Its kinda expensive and I need the money for other stuff but the bands are tempting and i really want to go.

King_Moc

Banned
Fucking hell Faridmon!

Is this what my schedule would be like if I lived in the big city? Everywhere that puts gigs on is >1hour from me.

faridmon

Fucking hell Faridmon!

Is this what my schedule would be like if I lived in the big city? Everywhere that puts gigs on is >1hour from me.

Probably. Lol

It really helps that many of those venues are 10 - 20 mins away from where I live.

Although I have to say that I am obsessed... Addicted. I already went to 47 gigs and 3 festivals this year. I really wanna see most bands out there at least once.

But also keep in mind that I stay away from the expensive ones, so in Total, I am probably spending the same amount of money than many of you here. The most expensive one is Aurora and the tickets are £14. Alex Ohm for example is £4, and I am on the guest list for Amber Arcades and Yung because friends are supporting them.

You should come to Brum more often

Preoccupations
Allah-Las
Jaqwar Ma (Maybe)

I really wanna see these live but they never come my town :(

Also see Pup. I didn't like their record but their live performance was pretty hype.

King_Moc

Banned
Probably. Lol

It really helps that many of those venues are 10 - 20 mins away from where I live.

Although I have to say that I am obsessed... Addicted. I already went to 47 gigs and 3 festivals this year. I really wanna see most bands out there at least once.

But also keep in mind that I stay away from the expensive ones, so in Total, I am probably spending the same amount of money than many of you here. The most expensive one is Aurora and the tickets are £14. Alex Ohm for example is £4, and I am on the guest list for Amber Arcades and Yung because friends are supporting them.

You should come to Brum more often

I tend to go to London for gigs more often than not. The crowds are worse, but the friend I go to most gigs with lives in Cambridge, and we can both get there easily. It's very expensive though. Established bands are upwards of £35 a ticket. Radiohead was £70! There's some bands I just can't say no to, I guess. There is a lot of stuff at the Hare and Hounds i'd happily go to though. Drove there by myself to see Metz a while back.

I used to have a launchpad venue right near my house. Saw the likes of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Libertines, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and British Sea Power there for like £6 each in a 200 capacity room. It was amazing. Now we have nothing. The only thing we have coming up that's even close to being an alt-rock gig is Tim Burgess DJing in a pub.

faridmon

I tend to go to London for gigs more often than not. The crowds are worse, but the friend I go to most gigs with lives in Cambridge, and we can both get there easily. It's very expensive though. Established bands are upwards of £35 a ticket. Radiohead was £70! There's some bands I just can't say no to, I guess. There is a lot of stuff at the Hare and Hounds i'd happily go to though. Drove there by myself to see Metz a while back.

I used to have a launchpad venue right near my house. Saw the likes of Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Libertines, The Killers, Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian and British Sea Power there for like £6 each in a 200 capacity room. It was amazing. Now we have nothing. The only thing we have coming up that's even close to being an alt-rock gig is Tim Burgess DJing in a pub.

To be fair, I do wish I was closer to London since alot of bands do not come to Birmingham at all, but the up side is that yeah, gigs are way cheaper over here.

Hare and Hound is indeed a great venue, too bad its like 45 mins away from me, but I will need up going more often there since its attract bands in the same vein of METZ.

I also feel gigs used to be cheaper few years ago. I saw the Horrors for like £6 years ago, but gigs have increased in price dramatically where as buying music itself is cheaper.

Linius

2UB4kok.png

Looking good, Le Guess Who? line up

Vard

The shows I've been to in 2016:
Super Furry Animals (x2)
DIIV (x2)
Beach Fossils
Whitney (x2)
At The Drive-In
Japanese Breakfast + Mitski
Fear of Men
Autolux
Perfume
Japanese Breakfast + Porches

Upcoming:
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead + Creepoid
Frankie Cosmos
Beach Fossils

I'm sure that will not be my final list though. Teenage Fanclub should be coming around in the next couple of months, which I'll definitely go to. Others I'm interested in: TOPS, LVL UP, Honeyblood, LITE + Mouse on the Keys

Fjordson

The shows I've been to in 2016:
Super Furry Animals (x2)
DIIV (x2)
Beach Fossils
Whitney (x2)
At The Drive-In
Japanese Breakfast + Mitski
Fear of Men
Autolux
Perfume
Japanese Breakfast + Porches

Upcoming:
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead + Creepoid
Frankie Cosmos
Beach Fossils

I'm sure that will not be my final list though. Teenage Fanclub should be coming around in the next couple of months, which I'll definitely go to. Others I'm interested in: TOPS, LVL UP, Honeyblood, LITE + Mouse on the Keys
Nice. How was Japanese Breakfast? Really loved the album.

big ander

I clearly don't go to as many shows as you all but I just saw NOTS and holy shit they're amazing live. Their blend of coldwave, hardcore, garage and riot grrl comes into crystal clear focus and the lead guitarist is an animal. If you haven't heard their Cosmetic LP from this year yet it's a must-listen.

Pacbois

I clearly don't go to as many shows as you all but I just saw NOTS and holy shit they're amazing live. Their blend of coldwave, hardcore, garage and riot grrl comes into crystal clear focus and the lead guitarist is an animal. If you haven't heard their Cosmetic LP from this year yet it's a must-listen.

My man !

I discovered them @ Villette Sonique in may and now they're one of my favourite new bands

Reckoner

Man I still listen to Threat of Joy today. Is such a nice track from The Strokes. I believe it to also be one of their best ones.

Hopefully we'll get an album soon. It would be so good.

Top Bottom