• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

I wouldn't say there's any trend or usual pattern for me. Sometimes I'll not get an album right away, and further listening makes me realize that it's great. Sometimes I won't get an album first listen and I'll start to play it again and realize it's just bad. Or I'll love an album off the bat and discover it's subject to diminishing returns. Best of all is listening to an album, loving it, and further listening only making it better.

If you enjoy Speedy Ortiz, try Joanna Gruesome if you haven't yet. They're poppier but still noisy and they still rock hard. Or Roomrunner, who are also '90s indie rock throwback but in a grungier way.
Joanna Gruesome are really nice. I am enjoying them a lot.

Linius

Just listened to the Protomartyr record, I like it.

Now I need to check out Joanna Gruesome. Last.fm has been bugging me with that band for some time now :p

Danielsan

Just got tickets for Le Guess Who? in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Really looking forward to seeing both Future Islands and The War On Drugs live. Here's hoping the two don't overlap though...

Linius

Just got tickets for Le Guess Who? in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Really looking forward to seeing both Future Islands and The War On Drugs live. Here's hoping the two don't overlap though...

I hope so too. There's a lot of bands coming I'd like to see though so it's gonna be fun anyways. I'll probably go alone but if you want meet up for a beer shoot me a pm :)

Schedule will be online some time mid may by the way. Kind of bullshit considering three day festivals have their schedule up more than a month in advance. You would say LGW? has an easier job with just one day to fill in.

Danielsan

I hope so too. There's a lot of bands coming I'd like to see though so it's gonna be fun anyways. I'll probably go alone but if you want meet up for a beer shoot me a pm :)

Schedule will be online some time mid may by the way. Kind of bullshit considering three day festivals have their schedule up more than a month in advance. You would say LGW? has an easier job with just one day to fill in.
Yeah I read about the schedule only going up about 10 days in advance. Ridiculous. So far I have about 5 bands/artists I'd like to see, but I still need to go through the lineup as I'm too not familiar with the majority. Future Islands is my main goal though. If I have to miss The War On Drugs, so be it. I can still get tickets for them in Paradiso at the end of the year.

I'm going with the girl I'm currently seeing, but we should definitely meet up to grab a beer somewhere.

Linius

Yeah, The War on Drugs will be playing Best Kept Secret as well. And depending on how I like them live I'll most likely go to Paradiso too. Fairly cheap and a great venue.

I'm interested in the following bands: Neutral Milk Hotel (finally!), The War on Drugs, Future Islands, Black Lips, Speedy Ortiz, Together PANGEA, Hallo Venray and Big Ups.

Have you ever been before? They schedule like Primavera, so it's goes on till deep in the night. Last year they ended with a great bunch of garage bands between 1am and 3am at De Helling. Thee Oh Sees, Bass Drum of Death and King Tuff after each other. My guess is that they'll schedule Speedy Ortiz and Together PANGEA in one of those spots this year.

big ander

Always up to check out acts on Constellation Records, so when that Ought song "Habit" started floating around last month I put them on my list to check out. Sounded cool enough: young Montreal post-punk band, as lyrically intriguing as other favorite modern acts in that genre of mine like Parquet Courts but more towards a Talking Heads-esque art punk end of the spectrum than the garage one, and with a kind of 90s experimental bent. I enjoyed "Habit" plenty and played it a handful of times over the past month, finding it pretty enjoyable if not mindblowing like some said. I actually liked a different song of theirs better, "Only Sleeping" on their 2012 EP (which is free there). Anyway, the full album More Than Any Other Day went up for stream and comes out this week--and damn. It all fits so well as a package, and they definitely have a distinct, refined sound. Some of their songs feel like Constellation cohorts Do Make Say Think songs that suddenly explode into talky post-punk singalongs. I've only done one complete playthrough but I intend to do a lot more.
These are great recommendations, thanks. Those of you enjoying Speedy and this might like a trip back down KRS memory lane and get some Unwound records. There is an amazing live recording of them in Toulouse you can get here:

http://www.inkoma.com/pages/unwound/

I am going to listen to it in the car now at ridiculous volume.
Ooh I really like Unwound but haven't heard this, thanks for the link.
Joanna Gruesome are really nice. I am enjoying them a lot.
Glad people are liking them. Album's been in moderate rotation for me for a while now, one of those that's just consistently pleasant and rocking. They've a split with Perfect Pussy coming soon,s hould be good.

chris121580

I think that Ought album is a grower for me. I thought it was just ok on first listen. His voice is somewhat grating to me in the same way as Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. In fact, they remind me a lot of them minus the other comparisons that were made a couple posts up.

My favorite album that came out this week is Pink Mountaintops. It absolutely rules. Check out Through All The Worry. If you dig this, you'll love album. Song is so good:

http://vimeo.com/25158515

tm24

Been listening to the new Rodrigo y Gabriela all day. Wasn't even aware it was coming until i saw an AMA on reddit. The album is so good. Really enjoying. I can never get enough of their style of guitar playing

zerotol

Banned

Linius

After all the Ought buzz on my Twitter timeline lately I decided to give Habit a try. At first I thought I was listening to the Talking Heads, this guys voice is a lot like David Byrne's. But it's a good song, I like it. Will check out the album soon.

Also like the Joanna Gruesome record. Someone on Last.fm described them as the false sister of Veronica Fall, can't think of a better sell for this band :p

Futureman

was there ever any info released on Jay Reatard's death? I know the official report was cocaine toxicity... I'm wondering if there were any stories from that night or something? Just morbidly curious I guess.

really love his music, too bad he passed. "Blood Visions" is such a great album... will be my next buy!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
wrens-album-complete.jpg

Linius

That's exciting news fellas ^^

About Ought again, I think this is my favourite track on the album. So much energy, I love it.

Also, I don't know if we have any people from France in this thread but the La Route Du Rock line-up is looking insane so far this year. Add that beautiful location and you have a fantastic festival. I need to go there some year.

o5TC9IN.png

http://www.laroutedurock.com/line-up/

WTF!? How'd I miss that?

I was pretty surprised when I noticed it on the Jicks' albums, too, as a big S-K fan it's the sort of thing I expected to know about already.

And now to display my indie rock bona fides: I saw Sleater-Kinney at the Henry Fonda in LA in early 2003, and the opening act was a little known-at-the-time two-piece called The Black Keys. I bought The Big Come Up from their merch table after the show, I think it was $5.

amnesiac

"But don't hate her... when she... gets up.... to leave........"

What an album. So glad I'm them live soon.

(Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea for those who don't know)

big ander

"But don't hate her... when she... gets up.... to leave........"

What an album. So glad I'm them live soon.

(Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea for those who don't know)

Missed them on the main tour, but I'm planning to catch them at Pitchfork Fest. So excited. Planning to shout every word of Holland, 1945 and Song Against Sex as loud as humanly possible, concertgoers around me be damned.

Linius

Just a few weeks of waiting and I'll finally see Neutral Milk Hotel. Excited.

This will be a good month of the festival schedule will allow it. Cloud Nothings, Cheatahs and Neutral Milk Hotel I'll be seeing for sure. And hopefully Together PANGEA, The War on Drugs and Future Islands too.

Servbot24

Banned
so i went to the record store today and realized i don't really know any of the new indie bands. haven't read p4k in a long time so i'm feeling pretty out of it. primarily focused on the worlds of pop, metal and techno. so what are the big deals in indie world these days? i'm familiar with everything pre-MPP

my favorites used to be death cab, national, animal collective

faridmon

May is bloody killer when it comes to gig for me, I think I may go bankrupt by the end of this month, these are all the gigs I am planning to go this:

Monday 12 May 2014
Lake Street Dive
The Glee Club
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Friday 9 May 2014
Bo Ningen
with Younghusband, The Scenes
Hare and Hounds

Tuesday 13 May 2014
We Were Evergreen
Hare and Hounds

Friday 16 May 2014
Factory Floor
Hare and Hounds

Tuesday 27 May 2014
Melt-Banana
Rainbow Warehouse
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

Wednesday 28 May 2014
Only Real
with Atlas, Lime
Sunflower Lounge

I might miss one (or maybe 2) of them If my budget becomes tight, but man, what an exciting month!

so what are the big deals in indie world these days? i'm familiar with everything pre-MPP

Mainly a lot of revivals. Shoegaze, Post-punk, Psychedelic Rock amongst others Band such as Savages, Temple, Peace, Jagwar Ma and Parquet Courts amongst others have had a relatively successful outings due to the people wanting modern touch on old styles. And you got pop Synth aspect which is blowing huge at the moment with CHRVCHES and Atlas Genius selling a lot. Chillwave is also getting a more mainstream with Artists such as Washed Out and Blue Hawaii have released great mainstream outings last year and their gigs all selling out.

Oh and 2013 being the best year in Music in a long time is another thing you might have missed!

so i went to the record store today and realized i don't really know any of the new indie bands. haven't read p4k in a long time so i'm feeling pretty out of it. primarily focused on the worlds of pop, metal and techno. so what are the big deals in indie world these days? i'm familiar with everything pre-MPP

my favorites used to be death cab, national, animal collective

Cloud Nothings are the only thing my indie oriented friends have been talking about for well over a month.

I've been jamming to Thee oh Sees, Mac de Marco and Protomartyr tho.

Futureman

yea Serv def check out Cloud Nothings and Mac Demarco. Demarco has such a cool vibe IMO, like he really doesn't give a shit what people think ala Dylan.

My fav record last year was Waxahatchee's "Cerulean Salt."

yea Serv def check out Cloud Nothings and Mac Demarco. Demarco has such a cool vibe IMO, like he really doesn't give a shit what people think ala Dylan.

My fav record last year was Waxahatchee's "Cerulean Salt."

Another killer record. I'm not totally in love with it but it has some real ardent fans.

faridmon

Xeno_V

Slightly off-topic but as I will be in the US during may (NYC area) can anyone suggest me any stores to visit in order to buy some indie related merchandise? I am mainly looking for t-shirts.

Alternatively any good websites that you would suggest with reasonable prices hopefully?

faridmon

What a surprise to find out Wild Cub actually touring in Birmingham and its tonight! Loved their album, I am really excited to see them tonight"

I saw Perfect Pussy and YAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN last night. Shit was tight. Meredith Graves is super cool.

Yeah, Perfect Pussy are genuinely exciting band. Loved their album. Hope they come around here some timesQ

Slowdive

Banned
May is bloody killer when it comes to gig for me, I think I may go bankrupt by the end of this month, these are all the gigs I am planning to go this:

Tuesday 27 May 2014
Melt-Banana
Rainbow Warehouse
Birmingham,
United Kingdom

I really want to see them live, but the only Melt-Banana gig in Manchester is at some festival with bands I have no interest in, plus tickets are more expensive than usual. :/

Steamlord

I'd love to see Melt-Banana live. It sucks that I live in a state with so few gigs I'm interested in. To see most of the bands I like I'd have to drive to Dallas or St. Louis, which I'm only willing to do for bands I REALLY like, i.e. My Bloody Valentine.

faridmon

Wild Cub gig tonight was incredible. They were very enthusiastic and also very much intune with what they were playing. I also appreciate how different they sounded from sound recordings.

Really recommend if they happen to show up in your town!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't recall getting into Merchandise's last album that much, but this new song (off a RSD split) "No You and Me" is pretty slick.

Pretty sure there are some Unwound fans around, yeah? Justin and Brandt are really carrying things on with this Survival Knife project. It's like '90s indie rock never died.

tch

Holy shit. I do not recognize a single band in the last three pages. I have some new stuff to check out haha.

Danielsan

Just read that The Antlers are coming to Paradiso, Amsterdam, in October. Definitely getting tickets as soon as they become available!

Linius

Just read that The Antlers are coming to Paradiso, Amsterdam, in October. Definitely getting tickets as soon as they become available!

Yeah, october is gonna be good. The War on Drugs and The Antlers in my favourite venue. And the month before Damien Jurado on my birthday.

Also, the time table for LGW? May Day comes next week. But one thing we already know is that Hallo Venray, The War on Drugs and Neutral Milkhotel will play the Oudegracht in that order.

Top Bottom