• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

On that note I can't do anything but heap praise on Salad Days. I passed on 2 when it first came out but I gave a second pass earlier this year and liked it a great deal. He's got a really solid catalog going.

Passed up a chance to see him last week because I couldn't find a ride, apparently it was a great show.

edit:
Also this is a thing
http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/death_from_above_1979-album_teaser

images

big ander

he's on the mark for Real Estate tho

I've liked each album progressively less, I actually enjoy Days and the s/t plenty ("Suburban Beverage", "Out of Tune") and Atlas is fine, but I listened maybe 3 times and felt completely done with it

faridmon

he's on the mark for Real Estate tho

I've liked each album progressively less, I actually enjoy Days and the s/t plenty ("Suburban Beverage", "Out of Tune") and Atlas is fine, but I listened maybe 3 times and felt completely done with it

As it is my first album from Real Estate, I sort of like it. its casual, laid back nature makes it a very non-serious listen which you can switch you off to a deep lull.

Linius

I find myself disagreeing with Anthony most of the time as his tastes tend to differ strongly from mine. Nevertheless I think his reviews are great. He always articulates well why an album does or doesn't grab him.

This might have come up before, but I'm curious to hear which sites everyone keeps an eye on in order to stay in the know of the latest music news. I have to admit that I primarily visit Pitchfork and The Needle Drop. I also have Stereogum in my bookmarks, but I hardly visit. I'm not a big fan of their site layout.

Well since you're Dutch I can always recommend Kicking the Habbit in case you don't know it already. They cover gig dates, new music (also interesting Dutch acts you'll likely to miss otherwise) and reviews. Oh and they give away tickets to concerts every now and then, I won tickets to a Ducktails gig last year :p

MSP's discography is really solid overall (but everything post-Send Away the Tigers has been meh). Pretty diverse body of work.

Some of the lyrics are really nuanced and weird but that's okay.

I must say I've hardly listened to their studio albums. I usually just listen to the National Treasures collection album. Their concert setlists also don't seem to have much stuff that's not on there so it covers most of their good works pretty well.

King_Moc

Banned
Well since you're Dutch I can always recommend Kicking the Habbit in case you don't know it already. They cover gig dates, new music (also interesting Dutch acts you'll likely to miss otherwise) and reviews. Oh and they give away tickets to concerts every now and then, I won tickets to a Ducktails gig last year :p

I must say I've hardly listened to their studio albums. I usually just listen to the National Treasures collection album. Their concert setlists also don't seem to have much stuff that's not on there so it covers most of their good works pretty well.

Can you recommend some decent alternative Dutch bands? Being from the UK I don't get to hear much, but I'll give anything a go.

And you should listen to the MSP albums. And ignore the guy that says the stuff after Send Away the Tigers isn't so great. SATT itself isn't that good, but Journal For Plague Lovers and Rewind The Film are fucking great.

Now please hook me up with the Dutch equivalent of the Raveonettes.

Alpende

Can you recommend some decent alternative Dutch bands? Being from the UK I don't get to hear much, but I'll give anything a go.

And you should listen to the MSP albums. And ignore the guy that says the stuff after Send Away the Tigers isn't so great. SATT itself isn't that good, but Journal For Plague Lovers and Rewind The Film are fucking great.

De Staat are pretty good. They've made 3 albums so far.

Diablos

You should listen to them sometime, at least all the way up to Send Away the Tigers and Journal for Plague Lovers (I forgot that came AFTER -- it's really good).

Linius

Well a Dutch Raveonettes I can't give you, but we do have a good number of great bands. I'll list a few from old to new. I'll name my favourite album for each and a youtube link. But as you know, one song can't really make or break a band so I'd always suggest to check out the albums unless it's not your taste at all of course.

Hallo Venray - The More I Laugh, the Hornier Due Gets! (1991)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2GIZbaRk0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMFrBolpsLY

Well this band is a bit of everything in the rock genre. Their style differs even on the albums so I had to choose two songs to illustrate that. The top one is very Neil Young esque and the other one is in the spirit of the late great Lou Reed. Very underrated band, even not widely known over here.

Bettie Serveert - Palomine (1992)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKbC8L5WZyc

A Dutch classic in the spirit of bands like Pavement and the rest of that nineties movement.

Daryll-Ann - Weeps (1996)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Y7AzZBFU0

Another typical nineties band with some awesome guitar sounds. Anne Soldaat is seen as one of the best alternative guitar players over here, some of his solo work will also follow. I got lucky as this band is doing a reunion tour this year so I caught them live a few months back. Really good.

Johan - Pergola (2001)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU9Rfw_Dmw

Very cool pop/rock band with some out of control guitar riffs. They embrace the nineties as well.

Anne Soldaat - In Another Life (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KpnJBKR8ZM

That guitar player from Daryll-Ann I mentioned. Great record with some good solos. Singer Song writer stuff.

Moss - Never Be Scared/Don't Be a Hero (2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU9Rfw_Dmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_z0gmz5UE

Pop/rock outfit who went on to experiment by adding some electronic stuff into their music which turned out to be very good. Top song is from their second album without experiment. Second song is from the last album released a month ago.

Tika - In a Cabin With (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoTUgZL0UfU

Now this is not actually a band. There was this project where by they put two or more musicians together in a cabin in Canada where they would make a record together. Tika consists of the singer from Moss and David Pino from another Dutch band. It's a folky project and the voices are perfect.

Alamo Race Track - Unicorn Loves Deer (2011)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfFc9R0Hr8

I have no way to really describe this band but they make great music. One of their songs was featured on Grey's Anatomy, that's their ten seconds of fame abroad :p

Jacco Gardner - Cabinet of Curiosities (2013)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW33RUYJpus

This kid was riding the sixties revival train and came with a pretty decent record. Even got some hype abroad and got a decent review from Pitchfork. That's pretty unique for Dutch artists.

Well that pretty much covers my favourite Dutch bands who sing English.

You should listen to them sometime, at least all the way up to Send Away the Tigers and Journal for Plague Lovers (I forgot that came AFTER -- it's really good).

I will some time.

King_Moc

Banned
Well a Dutch Raveonettes I can't give you, but we do have a good number of great bands. I'll list a few from old to new. I'll name my favourite album for each and a youtube link. But as you know, one song can't really make or break a band so I'd always suggest to check out the albums unless it's not your taste at all of course.

Thanks! Some pretty good stuff in there. I've ordered a few albums. Really liked the Alamo Race Track and Bettie Serveert songs you linked.

King_Moc

Banned
I can't wait for this. The clashes are going to be hell for me though as there are about 35 acts I want to see. I could feasibly end up missing the Pixies if there's a clash as I'm seeing them twice more a few weeks later. I'm not sure I could physically walk away from a Pixies live show though.

Is that a last.fm screen? I stopped using it years ago, but that seems like a really good feature.

Linius

That is Last.fm indeed. Great way to keep your concert/festivals schedule.

i8OSZra.png

Got this one coming up in 46 days. Always a good number of Primavera acts present at this festival. Just one day btw.

big ander

That Protomartyr album is dope

I'm going back and forth on it. Really like a handful of songs: Maidenhead, Want Remover, What the Wall Said, Son of Dis, Scum Rise!, Come & See. Not a very cohesive record though. Maybe I'll figure it out on a further listen.

New song by Apologies, I Have None is being streamed here

Not sure what I think. It's...quite different. Very dark. Hopefully the rest of the EP's less weird, 'cause I'll really start to miss Dan otherwise :/

faridmon

Ugh, what the hell happened to them? Everything since Smile (which, coincidentally, I found on vinyl last night) has been a mess.

They just like to experiment with a lot of sounds and genres. Sometimes it comes off awkwardly, sometimes they just turn out amazing. Also, it depends from one person to another, I for one, have enjoyed most of their outings since Smile because pf the fact they are just going shit crazy about sounds and instruments.

big ander

Oooooh this Timber Timbre album is fascinating. Badlands-era Dirty Beaches vibes, some Angel Olsen-like lyrical expressivity. Not wholly in love with it quite yet, but I could easily see that happening after a handful of listens. Try "Hot Dreams"
Does anyone like Young the Giant.

Or am I crazy?

since you've asked twice: maybe nobody likes them in here specifically but they're fairly popular pop rock so I doubt you're crazy

try Foster the People, Local Natives, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, Grouplove, Neon Trees, The Neighbourhood

faridmon

Does anyone like Young the Giant.

Or am I crazy?

Nah, its not like we Hate them or anything. Its just that this thread aren't as active as it should in order to discuss any band that have been mentioned so far.

Personally, I think they are OK, but better than many bands mentioned above :p

Sorry, I just hate Foster the People so much

Reminiscent

Oooooh this Timber Timbre album is fascinating. Badlands-era Dirty Beaches vibes, some Angel Olsen-like lyrical expressivity. Not wholly in love with it quite yet, but I could easily see that happening after a handful of listens. Try "Hot Dreams"

since you've asked twice: maybe nobody likes them in here specifically but they're fairly popular pop rock so I doubt you're crazy

try Foster the People, Local Natives, Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, Grouplove, Neon Trees, The Neighbourhood

I like TDCC and grouplove. I could oddly enough never get into Foster the People though.

It's his voice/attitude (I think). It just annoys me.

Timber Timbre and Volcano Choir are stunning.

Timber Timbre was put on my phone after the first listen. It's amazing. I also love Volcano Choir, I listen to them throughout the day more than anything.

big ander

Nah, its not like we Hate them or anything. Its just that this thread aren't as active as it should in order to discuss any band that have been mentioned so far.

Personally, I think they are OK, but better than many bands mentioned above :p

Sorry, I just hate Foster the People so much
Heh yeah I don't like most of those bands actually, I just know them as in a similar indie pop rock vein. I love Local Natives, think Nbhd had incredible early singles in '12 or so and then nothing good since, think Passion Pit's alright, enjoyed some Foster the People singles when they came out but got bored of them before Torches even dropped and thought that album was a trainwreck
I like TDCC and grouplove. I could oddly enough never get into Foster the People though.

It's his voice/attitude (I think). It just annoys me.

Timber Timbre and Volcano Choir are stunning.

Timber Timbre was put on my phone after the first listen. It's amazing. I also love Volcano Choir, I listen to them throughout the day more than anything.
I should like Volcano Choir more than I do, in theory. Experimental/post-rock/glitch-folk co-orchestrated by Vernon reads as right up my alley but I couldn't get in to Repave, never tried Unmap

overcast

Which of Destroyers other albums are great? I loved Kaputt since it came out, but I'm thinking Streethawk is better. This is fucking excellent. Channelling Bowie and Velvet Underground a bit on this.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw Cloud Nothings tonight. They were pretty awesome. Played almost everything from the two most-recent albums, but nothing older.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Because they changed their sound completely with Attack On Memory, going to post-hardcore/punk from lo-fi pop.
Well obviously, but that doesn't mean they can't play that stuff at ALL. I just thought they might play one or two old songs.

Linius

Last time I saw them they only played the previous record, not even in full. But it was a festival gig so there's that. Excited to see them again in may, new record is ace.

big ander

They changed their sound up a ton but there're still remnants of their hook-heavy punkpop style, even in the new LP (and especially in AoM, which is half pop-punk). I've seen em twice, the first time (festival gig) they played only Attack on Memory tracks (and only five songs total due to a storm) and the second time I think they played one track from the s/t.

Futureman

I'm obsessed w/ CN's last two right now. New one is really growing.

Still like AoM better but shit, these are amazing albums. Think I'm gonna try to go buy the vinyl tomorrow. Some record stores got an exclusive slipmat. If they also have AoM I'll just get both.

Danielsan

Thanks for the tip Linius! Just won tickets to Beaty Heart. Which seems to be a pretty fun little band similar to Animal Collective.

Beaty Heart - Seafood

Linius

Aw man, that song was beautiful! The Antlers make some lovely music, enjoyed Hospice and Burst Apart quite a bit. Didn't even know they were coming out with a new album, hope it's as good as this song.

They had a new EP in 2012 (Undersea) but they've been working on a new album for ages now. Glad it's finally coming this year. Hopefully followed by a club tour. I've only had the chance to see them at a festival and that's not the ideal setting for a band like The Antlers.

Thanks for the tip Linius! Just won tickets to Beaty Heart. Which seems to be a pretty fun little band similar to Animal Collective.

Beaty Heart - Seafood

Haha, that went fast. Music sounds good indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH0kmiveNIg&feature=youtu.be

Future Islands Coachella set :D

Danielsan

They had a new EP in 2012 (Undersea) but they've been working on a new album for ages now. Glad it's finally coming this year. Hopefully followed by a club tour. I've only had the chance to see them at a festival and that's not the ideal setting for a band like The Antlers.

Haha, that went fast. Music sounds good indeed!
Even more ridiculous. I won the other tickets (Kalle Mattson) as well...

Guess they had very little response.

Top Bottom