• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Just found out that Harrys Gym have disbanded last year :(
The Feels, man, the feels. It hurts!

One of the most talented, if not the most talented most mature band Norway had produced in the last decade. Those two albums are absolute perfection!

chris121580

Wild Cub gig tonight was incredible. They were very enthusiastic and also very much intune with what they were playing. I also appreciate how different they sounded from sound recordings.

Really recommend if they happen to show up in your town!
Love these guys! Did they re-release their album this year?

King_Moc

Banned
Glastonbury fucking nailed it this year. Almost 30 acts that i'd want to see, not including curiosities or comedians.

the2014pstrfllpng.png

Linius

Deltron 3030 and Jurassic 5, that's pretty neat. Arrive at about 30 names as well. Dunno how the schedule pans out of course, but I guess I could have a great time at this years edition of Glasto.

Linius

I don't even understand why festivals still book Blondie. These shows aren't even worth the label music anymore.

EDIT

New names for Jabberwocky in London (august 15+16): Ben Frost, Mutual Benefit, Ought and Josef van Wissem.

mZrJfIc.jpg

That's a great fucking line-up.

King_Moc

Banned
I don't even understand why festivals still book Blondie. These shows aren't even worth the label music anymore.

EDIT

New names for Jabberwocky in London (august 15+16): Ben Frost, Mutual Benefit, Ought and Josef van Wissem.

mZrJfIc.jpg

That's a great fucking line-up.

And one more 'secret' act to announce in July.

King_Moc

Banned
That too indeed. I wonder who that possibly could be. If they are so vague it always raises the expectations :p

Sometimes it means they can't announce yet as someone else has them as a 'UK exclusive'.

Usually it's just disappointing though (see Metallica at Glastonbury).

Linius

Sometimes it means they can't announce yet as someone else has them as a 'UK exclusive'.

Usually it's just disappointing though (see Metallica at Glastonbury).

Yeah, usually I'm sketchy when they phrase it like that. But on the other hand, this is ATP. Low expectations but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something to be exciting about.

Speaking of Metallica, a few years ago Glasto had a surprise gig from Radiohead. Some times we're lucky, sometimes we get Metallica.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else listening to More Than Any Other Day by Ought?

Saw it in Pitchforks best new music, gave it a listen and I really like it.

Linius

Yeah, it's a great album. Was glad to see them added to the Jabberwocky line-up. Though it's a throwback to the nineties they also have an own identity. Great record.

Was also figuring out my schedule for a Dutch festival I'm going to next month. Some hard choices in there but I think I figured out a nice path. Only downside to this festival is that a lot of bands have limited time to play. While some have only one album there are also bands amongst though we have more than enough material to play at least one hour. Such as Slowdive or The Horrors. Still a great line-up though.

King_Moc

Banned
Yeah, usually I'm sketchy when they phrase it like that. But on the other hand, this is ATP. Low expectations but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something to be exciting about.

Speaking of Metallica, a few years ago Glasto had a surprise gig from Radiohead. Some times we're lucky, sometimes we get Metallica.

Radiohead actually pretty much did secret gigs two years running. Thom and Johnny played together the year before. And Pulp too!

The thing with ATP is it could be anyone from such a wide range of artists, there's a fair chance it's going to be someone you either haven't heard of, or don't like.

I wish more festivals would book The Future of the Left. They should get them :)

faridmon

Love these guys! Did they re-release their album this year?

I actually had a chat with Keegan DeWitt and he said due to them signing with Virgin Records rather late, The album ''Youth'' never got a proper European release, so they are releasing that this September with 3 bonus track.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm finding more and more grass-roots local bands to be doing stuff leagues ahead of anything else. If you like it loud (and why wouldn't you?), I highly recommend Escucha. I saw them on Saturday night and they absolutely blew me away. So much energy! Their recordings really don't do them justice. Here's a video of a studio recording to give you an idea of what they can be like live... in a tiny venue. They are basically a gnarlier At The Drive-In and I do not say such a thing lightly.

Lovely humble bunch of chaps too.

Also, Mass Lines are bloody good too (and equally lovely chaps). Kind of a modern day Stooges minus Iggy but plus a British sounding Albini-a-like. Again, their recordings don't get across the energy and sheer joy of watching them live. Can't find any videos unfortunately.

Both excellent bands that are inexplicably under the radar.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Can anyone recommend some current acts that have a very similar feel to the likes of Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa? I'm in the mood for something different.

Natetan

I'm a big fan of Baths, Washed Out, Caribou. and I've been listening to this play list and hearing some groups I've never heard before. A lot of the tunes are old from like 2010 though. And while I dont really care about the age of the music, anyone have any newer music or playlists for me to work through to discover some new similar groups and music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1wK7iCQfQ&list=RDdHvWURUzj3Q

I really like Gold Panda and Memoryhouse. Never heard of them before. I know, I'm so out of touch, it's embarrasing...

This may not be the best place to put it, but have fun GAF:

Starbucks free iTunes songs:

Little Dragon - Paris:
Quote to receive

Sarah McLachlan - In Your Shoes:
Quote to receive

Went to a local Starbucks recently and they had a shitload of codes, so I decided to give it back to GAF. They're from Canada, but they should work on NA iTunes too. The Little Dragon codes are from a week or two ago. Feel free to share them outside of GAF, I don't really mind. I honestly didn't realize how many I had of the codes until now lol

AniHawk

don't know where to discuss this, but i figure here is as good as any.

i know i'm not exploring new territory here but i finally decided to get into miracle legion after having been such a longtime fan of polaris. i bought mark mulcahy's solo albums as well. right now i have listened to all their albums aside from surprise surprise surprise. i think drenched is my favorite album, but the backyard is pretty good too (and me and mr. ray has some fantastic listening).

the backyard (1984)
irECT1X6oQICM.jpg

closer to the wall
just say hello

me and mr. ray (1989)
51rv79CJQcL._SY300_.jpg

you're the one lee
sailors and animals

drenched (1992)
iRQLataadU83C.jpg

out to play
snacks and candy

music from the adventures of pete and pete (1999)
220px-Music_from_The_Adventures_of_Pete_%26_Pete.JPG

hey sandy
the monster's loose

portrait of a damaged family (1996)
ixpiQjE8uhiK7.jpg

madison park

i'll have to give portrait another listen, but so far i consider it the weakest in their lineup. shame it's also the last. there's some good stuff, but i think it's the most unfocused out of all of the ones i've listened to so far. i sorta think polaris belongs in there only because it was legal issues that prevented them from using the miracle legion name, although ray neal also left the band in this time before returning for portrait.

Slacker

All right, new Jenny Lewis coming in July.

http://www.stereogum.com/1681634/jenny-lewis-voyager-due-in-july/news/

She also scored a movie coming out soon. Will check out. Can't wait. The articles make it sound like a solo album, not a Jenny & Johnny thing, which sounds good to me. I enjoyed the J&J stuff, but not near as much as Acid Tongue.

In the last few months we've had new stuff from Nina Persson (The Cardigans), Tori Amos, Better Than Ezra, Sarah McLachlan and Aimee Mann. And now we have new stuff from Jenny and a new album from Morrissey coming up soon. Good times for us old guys. :)

faridmon

I'm guessing comparisons to Echo & the Bunnymen are pretty frequent here. Good stuff, and exciting to see another group full of women, even if the "lyrics" make it unlikely I'll be playing it for my daughters...

Yeah, alot of comparisons to a lot of Post-Punk/Gothic Rock acts of yesterday, which I find very annoying. But I have to admit, I really like that track!

Went to We Were Evergreen gig two nights ago and it was fantastic. The new album seems solid, even though its getting panned by reviewers!

Linius

I demand LA Gaffers to go there. It's impossible to ignore a line-up like this if you live in the area. I'm jelly. You know I've been waiting for The Strokes for like six or seven years now. They just never come to The Netherlands these days :(

But the mix of obscure bands from the old days (Slint, Built to Spill, The Blood Brothers, Slowdive) with fresh new indie acts (Real Estate, Mac DeMarco, Joanna Gruesome etc. etc.) and some big names like Interpol and The Strokes is just great. Even including some interesting hiphop (Run the Juwels) and electronic acts (Darkside, Todd Terje, John Talabott etc. etc.). It's a wonderful mix of genres.

Oh and there's a Dutch guy too, Jacco Gardner. Pretty cool to see him pop up in a line-up like this.

Linius

That LA festival isn't too bad actually, 129 dollars (94 euros/77 GBP) is quite alright imo. It's a tad more expensive than Jabberwocky, but you also get some bigger names in return. And more.

From that festival poster you posted I know very little tbh, but French Films is cool ey :p

faridmon

That LA festival isn't too bad actually, 129 dollars (94 euros/77 GBP) is quite alright imo. It's a tad more expensive than Jabberwocky, but you also get some bigger names in return. And more.

From that festival poster you posted I know very little tbh, but French Films is cool ey :p

French Films is all you need

Esterotypo is another great band I recently gotten into: Dance-rock and new-wave at its finest!

But yeah, that price is actually not bad. Lucky you, LA-GAF!

Linius

Saw Cheatahs and Cloud Nothings tonight. Both performed great. Cheatahs really puts up that shoegaze performance live including an ear destroying wall of sound. They also had an habit of stringing songs together with no pause, I was impressed. Cloud Nothings brought great energy, the crowd went bananas from the first minute and they played their asses off. Though 55 minutes was a bit short imo, they could have easily done all songs from the last two albums if they played roughly 20 minutes longer. But the gig was good, that matters most.

Top Bottom