• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

So glad to see The Antlers's new album is finally coming out, been too long! Tempted to listen to the song now but I'll try to wait for the full release in a few months.

Linius

Even more ridiculous. I won the other tickets (Kalle Mattson) as well...

Guess they had very little response.

Yeah one of the guys behind the website said not too long ago they usually don't have much response for these small names. So bigger chance to win.

Danielsan

Yeah one of the guys behind the website said not too long ago they usually don't have much response for these small names. So bigger chance to win.
Good to know. Beaty Heart was alright. They're a fun little band, and sound good live. But their set-list is way too limited, and they started early, which means we probably missed 20 minutes or so. Song writing also needs work. That said, the drums and beats are infectious and fantastic, especially live. It shows that they have 3 drummers in the group.

I probably won't be entering for the smaller giveaways for a while. Nevertheless, I'll check out Kalle Mattson tomorrow straight after work.
I've been listening to his latest album and it's pretty good. I especially like Kalle Mattson - Darkness

And hey, a free CD doesn't hurt either!

chris121580

So this album by The Both(Ted Leo/Aimee Mann) is fantastic! It came out today so it's available on Spotify. Every song is just great

Futureman

man I've been listening to Band of Horses' first two albums a lot lately. I never really gave their subsequent two a fair shake but they seemed pretty limp.

"Cease to Begin" is so perfect straight through. "Great Salt Lake" and "Our Swords" are my favs from the first.

Slacker

So this album by The Both(Ted Leo/Aimee Mann) is fantastic! It came out today so it's available on Spotify. Every song is just great

Yep I'm loving it too. I wasn't familiar with Ted Leo but anything from Aimee is an auto-buy so I snatched it up Monday night. Great stuff.

Danielsan

h2HSjkK.jpg

Drip drip. :D

Linius

Had one listen so far, good stuff. But as you would expect this is one of those records that requires maximum attention and multiple listens to sink in.

Linius

They've been releasing about two albums a year mostly. These guys don't fuck around when it comes to making new music. The fact that they don't polish their music in a studio for months on end sure helps. Ty Segall has been releasing albums at the same pace and I love it.

Futureman

I saw Mikal Cronin was on the new Thee Oh Sees. These guys all seem to like each other.

I'm really liking Demarco's "Salad Days" though I think my next vinyl pick up will be "2."

"Ode to Viceroy" reminds me of Twin Peaks in the beginning.

HiResDes

New things in rock I've been feeling

Death - III
Pink Mountaintops - Get Back
Ramona Lisa - Arcadia
Dagha Bloom - No Curtains
Timber Timbre - Hot Dream

Linius

I saw Mikal Cronin was on the new Thee Oh Sees. These guys all seem to like each other.

Yeah, they all come from the same area. They've been together since the very start. Mikal Cronin played in Ty's band on the Slaughterhouse record for example. Nick Waterhouse and White Fence also belong to that 'posse'.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
A new Chelsea Wolfe album just popped up on Spotify. I am pleased. I also need to listen to that new Thee Oh Sees.

Edit - after googling, it appears it's actually an old album. Dang. Stupid Spotify.

Does anyone else rarely like new music upon first hearing it? Usually it takes me a few listens to know whether or not it's something I'd continue listening to. Very, very rarely do I ever enjoy anything immediately. It's rather annoying, especially when you're trying to expand your current library.

After a few tries, I'm starting to enjoy Speedy Ortiz. They've got some decent tracks.

big ander

Does anyone else rarely like new music upon first hearing it? Usually it takes me a few listens to know whether or not it's something I'd continue listening to. Very, very rarely do I ever enjoy anything immediately. It's rather annoying, especially when you're trying to expand your current library.

After a few tries, I'm starting to enjoy Speedy Ortiz. They've got some decent tracks.

I wouldn't say there's any trend or usual pattern for me. Sometimes I'll not get an album right away, and further listening makes me realize that it's great. Sometimes I won't get an album first listen and I'll start to play it again and realize it's just bad. Or I'll love an album off the bat and discover it's subject to diminishing returns. Best of all is listening to an album, loving it, and further listening only making it better.

If you enjoy Speedy Ortiz, try Joanna Gruesome if you haven't yet. They're poppier but still noisy and they still rock hard. Or Roomrunner, who are also '90s indie rock throwback but in a grungier way.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

I've more noticed the shift over time. There's been albums I've liked right out of the gate, but there's been ones that I liked only to come back to a few months later and utterly hate. I have to assume the opposite would happen if I gave them further tries. (I've actually had an amused back-and-forth with one artist I reviewed on my Tumblr, because my flash impression was a 4 and places like Pitchfork that hopefully listen several times had given them 8s.)

Slacker

Maybe testing the limits of "indie" here (indie pop maybe?), but Lucy Schwartz's latest album is on Noise Trade for free this week. Never heard of Noise Trade before this, so feel free to flog me if it's non-legit. :)

http://www.noisetrade.com/lucyschwartz/timekeeper

If you've never heard of her check out Turn Your Light On Me, Boomerang, or Time Will Tell. Good stuff.

big ander

excited for it too. Kinda confused why it's being called a "debut" in some places, I guess because most people just heard about them from letterman? But this is something like their 3rd official LP, and the second one got plenty of blog coverage, and they've been known here in chicago for a good minute now. Whatever though, it'll be fun poppy noisy garage punk.

Linius

From what I know there's been only one LP released over here in Europe (Remember When). But by most journos it's more regarded as some sort of EP. The same thing was with Mac DeMarco for example. His first LP Rock & Roll Night Club was regarded as an EP by most people here. It makes for some confusion.

And if you're from their area I can see you know these guys since the first tunes they've put out :p

Protomartyr is playing at my favorite bar, gonna check them out and grab some beers.

I've been meaning to check out their new album. Heard good things about it.

big ander

The protomartyr record is good. I was iffy on it just two weeks ago in this thread but more listens where I've stopped trying too hard to have it impress me and have instead just had fun with it have paid off, it's a fun anthemic post-punk-ish record. And it sounds like it'd be amazing live

Linius

I hope The Libertines do a tour outside the UK too, I'd like to see that some time. Though it really depends on Pete's state of mind if it will be a good gig. I'll be seeing Babyshambles in june most likely so I get a bit of Pete there :p

King_Moc

Banned
I hope The Libertines do a tour outside the UK too, I'd like to see that some time. Though it really depends on Pete's state of mind if it will be a good gig. I'll be seeing Babyshambles in june most likely so I get a bit of Pete there :p

He's still very prone to not arriving. It's a shame how much potential he's wasted. I saw him doing an acoustic gig at Glastonbury in 2007 and it was utterly phenomenal. He just stops himself from reaching those highs too often with his lifestyle. It's a shame, really.

If you enjoy Speedy Ortiz, try Joanna Gruesome if you haven't yet. They're poppier but still noisy and they still rock hard. Or Roomrunner, who are also '90s indie rock throwback but in a grungier way.

These are great recommendations, thanks. Those of you enjoying Speedy and this might like a trip back down KRS memory lane and get some Unwound records. There is an amazing live recording of them in Toulouse you can get here:

http://www.inkoma.com/pages/unwound/

I am going to listen to it in the car now at ridiculous volume.

Linius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzr0aJrllI0

Courtney Barnett in the Tonight Show. Yesss, give this girl some attention :D

EDIT

Oh shiiit, I just Pitchforks take on Indie Cindy. They probably felt bad for the Pixies so they decided to review their complete catalogue (since they were all pre internet it's a first) to conclude with a 2,5 for Indie Cindy :p

Top Bottom