• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Shazam doesn't seem to recognize it. But I think you'll have better luck in metal gaf or something else rock not indie gaf by the sound of it.

Real Estate are pretty great in Barcelona meanwhile.

Linius

Haha, the singer of The Ex is killing me with his Dutch accent telling the lights guy to do his job :lol

They sound great.

Linius

Pacbois, I decided to revive that festival thread. I like your title better but that other thread came before you apparently. Anyways, let's post there :p

Pacbois

Pacbois, I decided to revive that festival thread. I like your title better but that other thread came before you apparently. Anyways, let's post there :p

Haha sure !

Edit : Omg, Warpaint are killing it right now, I'm so in love, with all of them.

Aegus

Won't lie I had the most fun at DJ Coco's ending DJ set last year. Utterly gutted I'm not dancing/falling off the Ray-Ban steps this year.

Probably lttp but just recently got into EMA's work .....Man what a talented lady she is...

Been listening to Past Life Martyred Saints nonstop lately and not getting bored. There's not even one weak song from the album(well butterfly knife if I have to pick one).....Gonna lower my expectation on the Future's void(only got it a couple days ago) as some critics dislike the shift of direction from her 1st album.

big ander

Just got back from Sego/The Bots/Potty Mouth/Perfect Pussy. Sego I only saw 3-4 songs, first 2-3 were alright alt punk and then the last song I'd heard before, the DFA/LCD homage 20 Years Tall, which is a super catchy and fun dancepunk cut. The Bots are a weird chaotic/stripped-down combo of hardcore punk, blues rock, and garage pop. I feel like that doesn't even cover it though, they're the kind of music that has to be heard. REally stood out; I didn't LOVE it but I liked it a lot and I'm fascinated by it.

Potty Mouth kicked ass. I liked them a ton already but tonight further converted me into a full-on huge fan. earlier today I read they'd had a line-up change after SXSW and one of the founding members, the guitarist, had split. made me apprehensive, until the new guitarist turned out to be able to shred and pull off vocals on the badass. They played a great mix of EP and LP tunes and I think a new song or two? Exciting show.

Perfect pussy I'd been trying to see for over a year and kept having conflicts come up right before going to their shows; one time a blizzard started an hour before I was about to leave for them. so I was amped. mild disappointment that something went haywire with their vocals, they're always low in the mix for them but after the first couple of songs where they were entirely inaudible and they kept asking for the mic volume to go up, became clear that something was up. I'm not a tech guy, but it was like all the feedback from the other instruments canceled out her voice entirely? Graves seemed pissed but on the whole it was a damn fun show, rattled the place and people moshed a ton. good time.
"The Better End"
Haha sure !

Edit : Omg, Warpaint are killing it right now, I'm so in love, with all of them.

their first album was a big favorite of mine, and then their second album wasn't good on first listen and kinda got worse/even more stale with each play. And then they said some weird shitty slutshaming stuff about Rihanna and Beyonce and leapt right off my favorite artists list. maybe they can turn it around iwth a third LP, but I'm guessing if that ever comes it won't be for another 5 years

Steamlord

Personally I really dig The Future's Void. Still trying to decide how it compares to Past Life Martyred Saints. EMA's previous band Gowns is also worth checking out. Totally different, but awesome.

Sharon Van Etten's new album is great too.

King_Moc

Banned
Not got the new EMA one yet, but past life martyred saints was fucking great. I really loved it. I liked the new single though.

I'm still fucked in the middle of Barcelona after Primavera, but wahey!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got back from Primavera. Overall it was a better experience than last year for me, because I explored Barcelona more before going to the festival, it's such a beautiful city. I'm ordering my ticket for next year asap because there's still so much I have to see.

Music-wise it was great as well, don't think I've seen a bad show. My list:

- Real Estate: pretty good warm-up. Not mindblowing or anything, but a solid show.
- QOTSA
- Midlake: checked them out without knowing their material. Sounded good!
- Neutral Milk Hotel: highlight of the first day. Pretty much a flawless performance, and the crowd went insane during Holland, Two Headed Boy, Aeroplane, etc. This show clashed with St Vincent, so I had to miss her.
- Arcade Fire: holy shit! Between Funeral and now, I completely lost sight of how huge this band has become. There was an insanely large crowd for this show. I was like a sardine, could hardly move. The gig was incredible though. Hearing everyone sing along to the Funeral songs is something special.

- John Grant: the only show that was soaked in rain. Most of the crowd stayed though, I was glued on the spot as well. Newcomer to his music, already a fan. My iPad got soaked and died, few fucks given
- Jenny Lewis: was sick and cancelled. :(
- Speedy Ortiz: third time I've seen them in a short span, maybe one too many. They lack energy on stage, crowd was pretty tame as a result.
- Slowdive: as a MBV fan, it's a disgrace that I hadn't heard their stuff. After this gig I have some catching up to do.
- The War on Drugs: watched from a distance, because I wanted to leave in time for Slint. Can't give a decent impression. Glad I could make it til Red Eyes.
- Slint: highlight of day 2. Just incredible. Definitely in my top 3 of the festival.

- Television performing Marquee Moon: ooh man, such bliss. To hear one of your favorite albums in the warm bright sun. I enjoyed every second of this. This was on one of the main stages as well, crowd was pretty big.
- Spoon: as far as crowds go, Spoon was the biggest surprise for me. In Belgium Spoon is a little known band. The times they've performed here (if at all), it was in small venues... As a big fan, I looked forward to seeing them here, but I didn't expect it to be on the main stage, for a huge crowd. I was amazed at how many people not only showed up, but sang along. I'd guess this is because of the American/Brit crowd, where they're probably a lot bigger. The best and most pleasant suprise for me.

This is why I love Primavera though: bands that you usually see in small venues, get a major crowd here. Last week I saw Speedy Ortiz play for maybe 15 people (felt kinda sorry for them), at Primavera the Pitchfork stage had a decent crowd

- Godspeed: Seeing them live is such an intense experience. Even with a giant crowd, you could hear a pin drop. Luckily most people are very quiet during these shows.
- Nine Inch Nails: I saw them last summer at a festival where Eminem was headlining. Trent clearly wasn't amused, since they played a shorter and tame set (no Hurt & Closer). This however, was the real NIN show I waited so long to see.

Next year is a lock.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just been having a read through this thread trying to find new music - seeing hundreds of band names I've never heard of makes me feel old and shit :p

Quick request though - if you're talking about a band you know others might not have heard of, please drop a link in the post too. I know we're all exclusive hipsters and all but share the love.

Also, what's good right now that ISN'T all 80s sounding? For me, all this Future Islands/War on Drugs stuff is like the musical equivalent of erectile dysfunction.

And just so I'm not an entirely moaning cunt today, here's a linkie to the brand new (as in, this morning) Alpha Male Tea Party record. AMTP are a Liverpool-based math rock trio and are more fun than a whole barrel full of bags of monkeys.

http://superstardestroyer.bandcamp.com/album/droids

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Just been having a read through this thread trying to find new music - seeing hundreds of band names I've never heard of makes me feel old and shit :p

Quick request though - if you're talking about a band you know others might not have heard of, please drop a link in the post too. I know we're all exclusive hipsters and all but share the love.

Also, what's good right now that ISN'T all 80s sounding? For me, all this Future Islands/War on Drugs stuff is like the musical equivalent of erectile dysfunction.

And just so I'm not an entirely moaning cunt today, here's a linkie to the brand new (as in, this morning) Alpha Male Tea Party record. AMTP are a Liverpool-based math rock trio and are more fun than a whole barrel full of bags of monkeys.

Can't get enough of Ought's debut album right now, and you might like it: http://youtu.be/ov-XwQjKHkE

Try some Woahnows. Fuzzy riffy punky greatness.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The thing is I feel like people link stuff in here a lot. if there isn't a link it's pretty easy to find stuff. like, it'd be weird to link to Joanna Gruesome's bandcamp every time I wanted to talk about how amazing they are

http://joannagruesome.bandcamp.com/album/weird-sister-lp

There were next to no links on this page. In my experience this thread gets loads of driveby "Hey, this new Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homunculus album is great" posts, and I'm like to google or not to google...

Good link though, I'd never heard this before (see?!?!), it's good.

Kansoku

There were next to no links on this page. In my experience this thread gets loads of driveby "Hey, this new Danny Dyer's Chocolate Homunculus album is great" posts, and I'm like to google or not to google...

Good link though, I'd never heard this before (see?!?!), it's good.

Yeah, it's one of the problems I have with this topic. Coming from the Japanese Music thread, here is pretty baren. There everytime a new MV comes out they post it, or a new album the link to videos of music from that album so you can get a good feel for it, and everytime someone discovers a new band the usually put 3 or 4 links to music. It's easier to see if you like something this way.

- Television performing Marquee Moon: ooh man, such bliss. To hear one of your favorite albums in the warm bright sun. I enjoyed every second of this. This was on one of the main stages as well, crowd was pretty big.

Also one of my all-time favorites. Didn't suck? When I saw the Pixies reform it was a bit of a let-down, really, and it's slightly soured me on seeing reunions.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Also one of my all-time favorites. Didn't suck? When I saw the Pixies reform it was a bit of a let-down, really, and it's slightly soured me on seeing reunions.

Tom's voice showed his age, but other than that I had no major issues. Just a really enjoyable gig, with a great crowd. I loved that a lot of people turned up for this, and they got a spot on the main stage.

big ander

some might be interested in this: The Bilinda Butchers - Edo Method

Bilinda Butchers have been on my radar for a good while but I never got around to listening to their EPs; now their debut is coming on Orchid Tapes so it'll get a definite listen from me. Some easy, electronically-geared shoegaze pop (not hard to believe a band named after mbv is playing that right). And going off that: if you're not listening to bands on Orchid Tapes yr not living life, they've been one of the best labels around for 2 or so years now but over the past year they've been hitting an entirely new level as they've grown. Just some of the incredible records from them (even if not all fit perfectly in here): Ricky Eat Acid's Three Love Songs (ambient/house), Coma Cinema's Posthumous Release (rock/bummer pop), R.L. Kelly's Life's a Bummer (bummer pop). Or there's their recent compilation, Boring Ecstasy: The Bedroom Pop of Orchid Tapes with a ton of songs just for the compilation that flow well together and showcase the variety and strength of the label.

And then there are the upcoming releases, like Mister Lies' new record or that Bilinda Butchers. Most of all, I'm amped for Alex G. Who's one of my favorite artists existing. Best to describe him as a singer-songwriter, because he doesn't much fit anywhere else. He's all over the place: americana, psych, bedroom pop, jazz-- but everything fits in an overall rock framework. He has albums and albums of material on his bandcamp, and between the two songs off his upcoming DSU ("Harvey" and "Hollow") it's shaping up to be another winner. I highly encourage getting to know this guy before he goes huge, this recent fader profile is a good start.

oh, and just about every single link I've posted in here is a free download.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Any of you on twitter? Feel like my feed is overflowing with game/movie stuff, but not enough music... You can find me here, already followed big ander. Account recommendations are also welcome

Pacbois

Saw Arcade Fire tonight, fucking amazing. Ocean of Noise was a nice surprise. They covered Prince's Controversy (probably because Prince played the venue last sunday) and a bunch of crazy stuff on stage.

Saw Arcade Fire tonight, fucking amazing. Ocean of Noise was a nice surprise. They covered Prince's Controversy (probably because Prince played the venue last sunday) and a bunch of crazy stuff on stage.

Nice. They never play enough Neon Bible tracks outside of No Cars Go and most of them kill live.

Linius

Any of you on twitter? Feel like my feed is overflowing with game/movie stuff, but not enough music... You can find me here, already followed big ander. Account recommendations are also welcome

I'll follow. I don't really have people who tweet music stuff in my timeline except for journos. You should follow kicking the habit btw, since you can read Dutch. Best Dutch coverage of anything related to indie stuff. Their Belgian buddies are the lads from Skyline Reviews.

@Pacbois sounds good man. One more week for me now,seeing them in Antwerp. I'm glad Lorde won't be one of the opening acts that night. We get Owen Pallett.

Pacbois

@Pacbois sounds good man. One more week for me now,seeing them in Antwerp. I'm glad Lorde won't be one of the opening acts that night. We get Owen Pallett.

We got Antibalas, an afrobeat collective. Not my cup of tea but it was really fun. I saw Lorde on Sunday at a festival, and it was actually surprisingly good. She's a decent performer, and her songs are still good live. Okay, if you can't support her stuff it won't matter, but for me, it was a good surprise.

Linius

We got Antibalas, an afrobeat collective. Not my cup of tea but it was really fun. I saw Lorde on Sunday at a festival, and it was actually surprisingly good. She's a decent performer, and her songs are still good live. Okay, if you can't support her stuff it won't matter, but for me, it was a good surprise.

Oh you were at We Love Green? I saw gigsinparis tweet about it. When I was at Rock en Seine in 2012 I saw the posters with Beirut and such. Must be nice to have such a festival in your town. They must have moved the dates btw since it was after ReS in 2012.

Is anyone listening to Owen Pallet's new album? I'm about 2/3rds of the way though and loving it.

My first real exposure to his solo work, I always heard the Final Fantasy stuff was a bit impenetrable.

Might check out Hearland next/

Pacbois

Oh you were at We Love Green? I saw gigsinparis tweet about it. When I was at Rock en Seine in 2012 I saw the posters with Beirut and such. Must be nice to have such a festival in your town. They must have moved the dates btw since it was after ReS in 2012.

Yep, wierdly, there was a weird ticketing thing last week that got me two tickets for sunday for only 1€. It used to be in september but after skipping it last year, they moved it, probably to grab artists from Primavera & such. It's a "cute" festival, but it's badly organised. Speaking of, Rock En Seine is having perhaps their best line-up ever this year, even if i'm super afraid of clashes.

Linius

Yep, wierdly, there was a weird ticketing thing last week that got me two tickets for sunday for only 1€. It used to be in september but after skipping it last year, they moved it, probably to grab artists from Primavera & such. It's a "cute" festival, but it's badly organised. Speaking of, Rock En Seine is having perhaps their best line-up ever this year, even if i'm super afraid of clashes.

It's looking great indeed. Excited to go again. Fourth time Paris in the past three years. You live in a great city.

chris121580

The new album by The Donkeys completely flew under my radar. It's absolutely fantastic. Currently streaming on Spotify. I would post youtubes of my fav songs but it's hard to find anything with such a generic band name

Decent review from AMG:

California has long been the muse of pop culture, with everyone from the beat poets to the Beach Boys to the Grateful Dead at one point or another staring into the Pacific Ocean and seeing a universe of inspiration. The Donkeys are another in a long line of California dreamers, hailing from San Diego and slowly moving from their twangy alt-country beginnings into a far more sun-dazed take on slightly psychedelic indie rock. Fourth album Ride the Black Wave continues the obsession with the beaches and vibrations of their home state, beginning with the swirling joy of the appropriately titled two-chord wash of "Sunny Daze," a song that channels the breezy harmony vocals of America, CSNY, or even the Eagles and weaves them into a fuzzy daydream the song's narrator is having about moving to France or maybe getting a job as a bus driver. It's decidedly lighthearted but stays compelling and ever-listenable despite its wandering feel. The Donkeys return to their back-porch alt-country roots on "I Heart Alabama," a loose and drum-free number somewhere between the Byrds' traditional country period and mid-'90s acts like Son Volt. The band takes sidetracks into soft harmony-laden interludes ("Brown Eyed Lady"), Mellotron-driven pop ("Scissor Me Cigs"), and dark, slinky psych rock ("Ride the Black Wave") as the album rolls on, many of the songs referencing California, its beaches, the sea, and the sun-drenched culture. By the end, listeners will feel like they've been laying out in the sun all day, warm in the glow of the Donkeys' heartfelt love for all things Cali, complete with the sound of washing waves and seagull cries.

Linius

Everything after their debut is above average. A Series of Sneaks is quite different from everything after that though. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga seems to be the best starting point indeed.

It's already been 4,5 years since I saw them live. And in all those years they've never been back here. It's about damn time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's already been 4,5 years since I saw them live. And in all those years they've never been back here. It's about damn time.

Primavera was the first time I saw them, they rarely come to the benelux it seems. As such, they're pretty much a no-name here, unfortunately. Sp pleasantly surprised they got a huge crowd there.

Linius

Primavera was the first time I saw them, they rarely come to the benelux it seems. As such, they're pretty much a no-name here, unfortunately. Sp pleasantly surprised they got a huge crowd there.

That's the nice thing about Primavera, like minded people from all over the world come there to celebrate fine music. So every band gets the audience they deserve.

Spoon played the Paradiso here btw. Wasn't sold out but it was a decent crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo89tM_XOzY

Man they were great. And a few months later I saw Pavement in that venue. Two of my favourite gigs.

Top Bottom