• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

Pavement is one of the best nineties bands. This discussion does my head in. Please understand.

I like pavement, but I am not into them as many people out there! There is something missing when I try to get into their groove, something that I can't put my fingers about!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't give the album much attention when it released but I've been listening to Blood Red Shoes new album a lot lately and it might be their most complete album yet.

Pacbois

Didn't give the album much attention when it released but I've been listening to Blood Red Shoes new album a lot lately and it might be their most complete album yet.

Fire Like This is still my favourite but yeah it's pretty good. Also, I had to chance to hang out with them twice after their shows. They're really cool, they're playing Rock En Seine this summer, really happy to see them for the third time this year.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Fire Like This is still my favourite but yeah it's pretty good. Also, I had to chance to hang out with them twice after their shows. They're really cool, they're playing Rock En Seine this summer, really happy to see them for the third time this year.

It doesn't reach the heights of Fire Like This or Box of Secrets, but it's really consistent. I don't find any album really stands out among the others, they've been consistent themselves over the years, but I'd also put Fire Like This as my favourite.

Futureman

I slept on the new Malkmus & the Jicks, but 3rd time or so through and really liking it.

jagbagscover.jpg

I've been having a problem with Rock music recently, used to be really into some more modern bands but now I have sort of devolved into largely ignoring anything new, something my brother always takes the piss about (he likes all this Pop-Punk stuff). So what new bands sound like or equivalent to any of these:

The Band
Led Zeppelin
Thin Lizzy
Hendrix
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Eric Clapton

Just to give an idea of what I like, any suggestions would be really appreciated, I miss waiting for new albums and getting excited about upcoming releases.

Futureman

my friend pointed me to Built to Spill's "Jokerman" cover the other day (pretty awesome!) and when I was googling them I didn't realize how old BtS are!

they are amazing though. I like pretty much love all of their albums. "There's Nothing Wrong with Love" is my fav.

I've been having a problem with Rock music recently, used to be really into some more modern bands but now I have sort of devolved into largely ignoring anything new, something my brother always takes the piss about (he likes all this Pop-Punk stuff). So what new bands sound like or equivalent to any of these:

The Band
Led Zeppelin
Thin Lizzy
Hendrix
Eric Clapton

Just to give an idea of what I like, any suggestions would be really appreciated, I miss waiting for new albums and getting excited about upcoming releases.

Spoon. You can't go wrong with Spoon.

Linius

Except for the fact that Spoon doesn't sound anything like all the bands he listed :p

Not that I disagree though. Spoon announced their first gig in The Netherlands since 2010 today. So I'm seeing them again on november first, at last!

Pacbois

Except for the fact that Spoon doesn't sound anything like all the bands he listed :p

Not that I disagree though. Spoon announced their first gig in The Netherlands since 2010 today. So I'm seeing them again on november first, at last!

They announced a show in Paris as well, really happy \o/

The Band
Led Zeppelin
Thin Lizzy
Hendrix
Eric Clapton

So you need Tame Imapala in your life then?

Linius

I saw The Notwist live this weekend and I was so surprised to see the keyboardist take out some Wii motes to make his music on stage. This video about him is very interesting. The part about the Wii motes starts at 5:30.

Pacbois

So the Inrocks Festival in Paris announced their line-up and holy shit.

nVRLQYi.png

But, it's going to be crazy expensive (30~40€ per gig) and most of the shows sold-out in just hours. Just hope I can get a ticket to Jesus & Mary Chain, especially if they're playing Psychocandy.

Linius

I wouldn't exactly compare Melody Echo Chamber. Very shoegazy band. They were quite mellow live!

Both times I saw her live the volume was pretty damn loud I must say. The band came up with some nice sound scapes.

So the Inrocks Festival in Paris announced their line-up and holy shit.

nVRLQYi.png

But, it's going to be crazy expensive (30~40€ per gig) and most of the shows sold-out in just hours. Just hope I can get a ticket to Jesus & Mary Chain, especially if they're playing Psychocandy.

12 november for Albarn. 14 november for The Orwells, Parquet Courts and Palma Violets. 16 november for Jesus and the Mary Chain and Eagulls. Some pretty cool bands there.

This also gives me some hope Albarn comes to The Netherlands for a club show in november. Going to see him at a bigger open air festival this friday, so psyched.

faridmon

The Joy Formidable have released a video for their first Welsh single Yn Rhydiau'r Afon. Really good.

Fucking love that band! Great song and I am actually saddened that their next album is at 1 year away :(

Both times I saw her live the volume was pretty damn loud I must say. The band came up with some nice sound scapes.

They were loud, but there weren't abrasive or had a loud percussion. They relied heavily on ambient and atmosphere in their melodies. POND, however, is just head-on collision of noise and aggression!

Any of you fan of East India Youth? I saw him live and was absolutely amazing to a point that I had to see him again in another town. He is very experimental and have nice ambient tracks, whoever, his dance stuff are the most incredible thing I have heard since Liars' WIXIW. Magnificent stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMmpfZhNoc

Slowdive

Banned
Fucking love that band! Great song and I am actually saddened that their next album is at 1 year away :(

They're recording it right now, so I think it's safe to assume it'll release around or in January next year like the others. At least we get a new single every month for this singles club they're doing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
They're recording it right now, so I think it's safe to assume it'll release around January next year like the others. At least we get a new single every month for this singles club they're doing.

Really? That's a neat idea, 12 tracks in a year too. More bands should do weird releasing styles.

faridmon

They're recording it right now, so I think it's safe to assume it'll release around January next year like the others. At least we get a new single every month for this singles club they're doing.

Yeah, good to see them being active until they drop a full LP, but I am gonna go full on blackout until their album. One of the reason Why I loved Wolf's Law is how blind I went into it.

Really? That's a neat idea, 12 tracks in a year too. More bands should do weird releasing styles.

I thought their role was two full years between each full release?

Linius

Felt a retro vibe and did a full listen to Pixies' Doolittle.

How is it even possible to make an album that awesome???

I was so happy that they played nine Doolittle songs at Best Kept Secret last weekend. Here Comes Your Man especially got the crowd moving. They were in great form playing a big crowd at the main stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQo88aJEfuw

Still find it odd to see people say they're a bit tired of Pixies by now. That their reunion gigs aren't worth the effort no more. But they still have great energy and performance if you ask me.

IMACOMPUTA

I saw The Notwist live this weekend and I was so surprised to see the keyboardist take out some Wii motes to make his music on stage. This video about him is very interesting. The part about the Wii motes starts at 5:30.

They're absolutely amazing live. One of my favorite shows.

faridmon

A bit LTTP but Cloud Nothing's latest is so fucking awesome.

Yeah, its bloody amazing. Its incredible how much they have progressed through their short career. Why, it fells like yesterday when I wasn't into them, but their latest album have changed my perception towards them.

Linius

Yeah, its bloody amazing. Its incredible how much they have progressed through their short career. Why, it fells like yesterday when I wasn't into them, but their latest album have changed my perception towards them.

This means we gonna pogo right? You do that in London right because at the Amsterdam gig it was amazing!

Top Bottom