• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
How the heck does Interpol announce a new album in this day and age without giving us an accompanying single to hear? Lame.

I'm one of the few people who thinks they were on an upwards trajectory with their first three (Our Love To Admire is the best, sorry Bright Lights nerds) but that last album was... not great. Maybe this one will be an improvement.

Linius

It's hard to go upwards from one of the best albums of the last decennium. But their follow-ups (except for the last one) were still great indeed. They haven't fallen as deep as The Strokes at least.

Linius

Eindhoven+Psych+Lab+ep_EFLYER3_1.jpg

This festival is going on today in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. Sick line-up, too bad it's a bit far away for me and I didn't had the money for this.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Rentals comin' back with a new album in August, first full-length in 15 years. Besides Matt Sharp, the band now consists of members of Ozma, Lucius and the Black Keys. Super catchy single: "Thought of Sound"

big ander

The Rentals comin' back with a new album in August, first full-length in 15 years. Besides Matt Sharp, the band now consists of members of Ozma, Lucius and the Black Keys. Super catchy single: "Thought of Sound"

Ooh I saw the announcement but didn't see there was a new single, awesome. Anybody listen to the EPs Sharp did as the rentals more recently, I think 5ish years ago? I've only heard the two LPs.

As much as I like Return of the Rentals, I can never help imagining a world where Sharp stayed with Weezer instead and their further records weren't shit.

Pacbois

So yesterday, a dream of mine came true, I saw Slowdive. And it was fucking amazing. What's really crazy is just how good they sound. It's loud but clear, you can hear every instrument perfectly, their drummer is crazy good, and those beautiful guitar walls, so great. I felt so moved during the entire gig. If you have the chance to catch them this summer, do it, even if you don't really know them. They'll blow your mind.

Now I really hope they'll record a new album and continue touring. Maybe have the chance of seeing them in a smaller venue.

Also, Hookworms and Loop were opening, two really good sets.

Futureman

hmm really liking Frankie Cosmos' "Zentropy."

It's growing on me. The songs are so short and sweet and catchy. I found her bandcamp and she has like 40 collections of songs, from what I can tell mostly soft acoustic stuff. The band dynamic on "Zentropy" really works well. The mood of the album and addictiveness reminds me of falling in love with Vampire Weekend's first record.

I'm open to suggestions to similar stripped down, fun poppy songs.

amnesiac

So yesterday, a dream of mine came true, I saw Slowdive. And it was fucking amazing. What's really crazy is just how good they sound. It's loud but clear, you can hear every instrument perfectly, their drummer is crazy good, and those beautiful guitar walls, so great. I felt so moved during the entire gig. If you have the chance to catch them this summer, do it, even if you don't really know them. They'll blow your mind.

Now I really hope they'll record a new album and continue touring. Maybe have the chance of seeing them in a smaller venue.

Also, Hookworms and Loop were opening, two really good sets.
That's awesome! They should definitely come out with new music soon.

I caught CHVRCHES last night, they were incredible.

Pacbois

From what they kept saying in interviews, it's the plan. This summer tour is mostly to help them fund studio sessions for a new LP. I guess we might have a new Slowdive album next year !

I'm probably seeing CHVRCHES (that fucking name...) at Pitchork Paris. Even though the line-up is a bit meh so far I guess.

Sadly I had to skip the free Villette Sonique gigs with Jagwar Ma tonight, fucking hayfever...BUT, I'm seeing the Pains of Being Pure at Heart tommorow night, so that's cool. (Even if I'm probably going to miss MS conference...)

big ander

hmm really liking Frankie Cosmos' "Zentropy."

It's growing on me. The songs are so short and sweet and catchy. I found her bandcamp and she has like 40 collections of songs, from what I can tell mostly soft acoustic stuff. The band dynamic on "Zentropy" really works well. The mood of the album and addictiveness reminds me of falling in love with Vampire Weekend's first record.

I'm open to suggestions to similar stripped down, fun poppy songs.

I'm actually iffy on Frankie Cosmos--for dumb reasons, I feel like she's said really silly stuff in interviews that make me feel like she doesn't realize how being the child of phoebe cates and kevin kline makes it much easier to be a diy artist than 99% of people but I should probably be able to get past that and get into her music. ANYWAY, some artists in her sort of circle I love:
R.L. Kelly http://rlkelly.bandcamp.com/
Alex G https://sandy.bandcamp.com/
(not as stripped-down, but incredible and fun and weird underground pop)

And others I like:
Whatever, Dad http://whateverdad.bandcamp.com/
Porches. http://porchesmusic.bandcamp.com/album/slow-dance-in-the-cosmos
Radiator Hospital http://radiatorhospital.bandcamp.com/
Waxahatchee http://www.waxahatcheemusic.com/ (mainly her first record and early splits/eps)

Linius

That Paris triple bill with Slowdive, Loop and Hookworms is so great. Wish they were doing that over here. Meanwhile Loop doesn't even come here. Hookworms and Slowdive perform at two different festivals. Luckily I can catch Slowdive finally two weeks from now.

Pacbois

That Paris triple bill with Slowdive, Loop and Hookworms is so great. Wish they were doing that over here. Meanwhile Loop doesn't even come here. Hookworms and Slowdive perform at two different festivals. Luckily I can catch Slowdive finally two weeks from now.

The Villette Sonique festival did an amazing job with their three main shows this year. 3 really good triple bill. Four Tet + Jon Hopkins + Factory Floor on thursday, Ty Segall + Coachwhips + Man or Astroman on Friday, and then last night's crazy Slowdive + Loop + Hookworms. Also it's cheap, (they even had cheaper tickets for young/unemployed people), the venue is great, the sound is nice, AND THE BEER IS CHEAP. So nice to see a great festival organisation.

Pacbois

How much did you pay for last night then? Also, I see Todd Terje is playing tonight, that's awesome.

22€ for the under 26 price. That's really cheap for a line-up that good. (And the pint of beer was 5.5€, so pretty much the average price in bars, for a concert/festival that's crazy cheap)

Linius

22€ for the under 26 price. That's really cheap for a line-up that good. (And the pint of beer was 5.5€, so pretty much the average price in bars, for a concert/festival that's crazy cheap)

Damn, that's crazy cheap man. If Slowdive were to do a gig over here alone it would cost that 22 euros at least.

Beer in Paris is expensive btw, at least in the zenith it is. I payed 8 or 9 euros for 0,5 liter beer. Over here that would cost me 5.50 max.

Futureman

I'm actually iffy on Frankie Cosmos--for dumb reasons, I feel like she's said really silly stuff in interviews that make me feel like she doesn't realize how being the child of phoebe cates and kevin kline makes it much easier to be a diy artist than 99% of people but I should probably be able to get past that and get into her music.

I didn't even know about her famous parents until reading an interview last night. She seems cool enough. Maybe that's true about her not realizing it's easier for her, but not sure.

Like I said, she has that site with probably 200 or so songs. If they were all like that I'd be like "She seems OK." But "Zentropy" really stands out to me.

I'll check out the suggestions. Already know of Waxahatchee, she's my fav of all time ha.

edit: really liking Porches.

Linius

I saw Arcade Fire in Antwerp earlier this week. What a great performance, the Reflektor tour really is something. The stage was pretty awesome with moving mirrors and multiple screens etc. The band also improved over the last tour as entertainers, Win was being a real rockstar. The setlist was nice, obviously most songs were from Reflektor and the rest was a good mix of older work including five songs from Funeral. Too bad they seem to ignore Neon Bible for the most part, we only got No Cars No Go. Best moment of the night was Wake Up, still gives me the chills. 20.000 people singing along with that is pure magic. And since I stood all the way up front at the barrier I had a great view.

Wake Up.

Here Come the Night Time (with confetti around the five minute mark)

Not my videos. Must say the confetti looks mighty impressive, had no idea it was troughout the whole venue.

BoerBert

I saw Arcade Fire in Antwerp earlier this week. What a great performance, the Reflektor tour really is something. The stage was pretty awesome with moving mirrors and multiple screens etc. The band also improved over the last tour as entertainers, Win was being a real rockstar. The setlist was nice, obviously most songs were from Reflektor and the rest was a good mix of older work including five songs from Funeral. Too bad they seem to ignore Neon Bible for the most part, we only got No Cars No Go. Best moment of the night was Wake Up, still gives me the chills. 20.000 people singing along with that is pure magic. And since I stood all the way up front at the barrier I had a great view.

Wake Up.

Here Come the Night Time (with confetti around the five minute mark)

Not my videos. Must say the confetti looks mighty impressive, had no idea it was troughout the whole venue.

What did you think of the sound in Sportpaleis? I thought it sucked at the beginning (first 2, 3 songs), but later on, I guess I was used to it or something.

Linius

Mostly Normal Person sounded a bit weird, too loud and the sound going everywhere. But after that I didn't notice much about the sound anymore. Guess they managed to tame the Sportpaleis after that. I heard the sound is often an issue at that venue. Only been to Radiohead there which was totally fine so I guess I'm lucky. Position inside the venue also matters a great deal of course. I usually position myself on the right side of the stage at the front. Never directly facing the sound equipment.

It's too bad some venues are really having trouble producing a good sound. Same thing goes for De Melkweg in Amsterdam. After they butchered The Shins for me a few years ago I decided to never go back there again. At least not the big room, in the small room the sound is great.

Pacbois

Mostly Normal Person sounded a bit weird, too loud and the sound going everywhere. But after that I didn't notice much about the sound anymore. Guess they managed to tame the Sportpaleis after that. I heard the sound is often an issue at that venue. Only been to Radiohead there which was totally fine so I guess I'm lucky. Position inside the venue also matters a great deal of course. I usually position myself on the right side of the stage at the front. Never directly facing the sound equipment.

It's too bad some venues are really having trouble producing a good sound. Same thing goes for De Melkweg in Amsterdam. After they butchered The Shins for me a few years ago I decided to never go back there again. At least not the big room, in the small room the sound is great.

Same sound problem at their gig in Paris, but yeah Le Zenith is a crappy venue. Checked the setlist for Anvers, heeh, not fan of opening with Normal Person.

WriterGK

They are coming to Best Kept Secret Festival in Hilvarenbeek/Tilburg nextweek in The Netherlands. What I heard from them on Spotify sounds pretty awesome. Maybe I am going to check them out if it doesnt overlap with other bands I want to see :)

The sunday line up is so to die for:
George Ezra, Angus & Julia Stone, Belle and Sebastian, Elbow and Lykke Li.

I can't wait to go. But the saturday is really nice as well with Nils Frahm, The War on Drugs, Franz Ferdinand , Mogwai , Wild Beasts and CHVRCHES

Pacbois

They are coming to Best Kept Secret Festival in Hilvarenbeek/Tilburg nextweek in The Netherlands. What I heard from them on Spotify sounds pretty awesome. Maybe I am going to check them out if it doesnt overlap with other bands I want to see :)

The sunday line up is so to die for:
George Ezra, Angus & Julia Stone, Belle and Sebastian, Elbow and Lykke Li.

I can't wait to go. But the saturday is really nice as well with Nils Frahm, The War on Drugs, Franz Ferdinand , Mogwai , Wild Beasts and CHVRCHES

If you can, go see Slowdive, you'll thank me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Why have I never listened to Far?

I even saw Jonah last year because my friend was putting him on. What's wrong with me?

Water and Solutions. rectify this shit immediately brah.

Love me some Jonah Matranga although tbh his output has been a bit poopy the past few years. The last Far album was a bit bleh and his last solo record is actually terrible, like cringey bad.

Water and Solutions (Far), Thriller (New End Original) and The Volunteer (onelinedrawing) are perfect records all of them.

Linius

If you can, go see Slowdive, you'll thank me.

Only downside is that they're scheduled for just 45 minutes at that festival. It's my only chance to see them so it well have to do.

But before the festivals start I'm going to Pearl Jam next monday. First time seeing them and I secretly hope they just do a greatest hits set. But the chances of that happening are next to nothing I'm afraid.

chris121580

Completely caught off guard by how good the new David Gray album is. His best and most consistent album in years. It came out today

Linius

I went to a Pearl Jam gig yesterday for the first time ever. Fucking amazing experience, Eddie is my new stage hero. Even limping across the stage (had something with his leg) he's amazing. Finishing three bottles of red wine during the three hour gig did make his speeches slightly more weird than they're already are but singing he still hits the right notes. And last week Arcade Fire's Wake Up gave me the chills, yesterday it was Alive. Something magical happens when they play that song. Here's a video of Alive from yesterday. I can't recommend seeing Pearl Jam live at least once in your life enough.

Steamlord

Esben and the Witch just released the first track from their new album. It's definitely a new sound for them, sort of a slowcore vibe (except it gets fast in the second half). It's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for when I heard Albini was producing.

Blood Teachings

big ander

Only not good album is terror twilight. Also make sure to hear some of their EPs, Watery Domestic is the first with their most popular lineup and kinda splits the difference between Slanted and Enchanted and crooked rain, crooked rain. "Frontwards" is one of their best tracks. Oh and Silver Jews are pretty good.

Only not good album is terror twilight. Also make sure to hear some of their EPs, Watery Domestic is the first with their most popular lineup and kinda splits the difference between Slanted and Enchanted and crooked rain, crooked rain. "Frontwards" is one of their best tracks. Oh and Silver Jews are pretty good.

not true, terror twilight is excellent

This guy knows what's up. Shoot the Singer is pretty crucial.

big ander

But..but...Major Leagues ? And Carrot Rope ? The Hexx ? Spit on a Stranger ?
not true, terror twilight is excellent
It's their worst record by a stretch, and the only one that's below about 8/10. I shouldn't've said not good, it's solid. but it's not wall-to-wall classics like Slanted or Crooked Rain, or a rewarding awesome experience like Wowee Zowee, or even disjointed but pretty great on a song-to-song basis like Brighten the Corners.
This guy knows what's up. Shoot the Singer is pretty crucial.
Also true.

It's their worst record by a stretch, and the only one that's below about 8/10. I shouldn't've said not good, it's solid. but it's not wall-to-wall classics like Slanted or Crooked Rain, or a rewarding awesome experience like Wowee Zowee, or even disjointed but pretty great on a song-to-song basis like Brighten the Corners.

Also true.

i dont think a record with shitty throwaways like 5-4 unity and hit the plane down can be considered a wall-to-wall classic

big ander

Me liking pavement so much is why I'm so eager to do list wars over them
and me thinking radiohead are just damn good but not spectacular is why listing their records bores me :p

Anyway I've been ringing this Alex G bell and I'm gonna ring it again because his record DSU is incredible and it got mega positive looks in pitchfork along with CoS, Rolling Stone, The Quietus...awesome outsider guitar pop. RIYL Youth Lagoon, Built to Spill, Elliot Smith, Jackson Scott, GBV, even reminds me a tiny bit of mid-period Animal Collective a tiny bit

free at that link or right heeeere

Top Bottom