• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

faridmon

This means we gonna pogo right? You do that in London right because at the Amsterdam gig it was amazing!

Sure, as long as it doesn't clash with other desirable bands, including my energy :p Do we have the exact timetable for the Festival btw?

Also, they are really huge band now. In Japan, they have been supported by Art-School of all bands....

Linius

Sure, as long as it doesn't clash with other desirable bands :p Do we have the exact timetable for the Festival btw?

Nope, and going by festival standards I wouldn't expect it before the last week of july/first week of august to be honest. Hell, Le Guess Who? waited with presenting their timetable till four days before the festival this year. I'm already afraid of all the clashes, it's inevitable with Jabberwocky :p

faridmon

Nope, and going by festival standards I wouldn't expect it before the last week of july/first week of august to be honest. Hell, Le Guess Who? waited with presenting their timetable till four days before the festival this year. I'm already afraid of all the clashes, it's inevitable with Jabberwocky :p

I am worried my friend, Very worried. What if Pissed Jeans were one of the earlier ones and I get knocked out cold while headbanging?

Linius

I'll surely have to do some listening before the festival. I've heard good things about Pissed Jeans but never listened to them.

The Ex, The Van Pelt, Neutral Milk Hotel and Darkside are very important for me at least. I think you'll dig The Ex btw if you don't already know them. They're the only Dutch band on the bill.

faridmon

I'll surely have to do some listening before the festival. I've heard good things about Pissed Jeans but never listened to them.

The Ex, The Van Pelt, Neutral Milk Hotel and Darkside are very important for me at least. I think you'll dig The Ex btw if you don't already know them. They're the only Dutch band on the bill.

Yeah, Pissed Jeans are amazing. I have already bought my ticket for their Birmingham Gig just before the festival. Very reminiscing of early, honest and down to earth, Hardcore scene of the 80s. I haven't seen them live but that is sure to change soon!

I am looking forward to them, Liars, Iceage, Chelsea Wolfe, Joanna Gruesome, METZ, Sun Kil Moon and Hookworms the most. Darkside, The Van Pelt, Amen Dunes, Perfect Pussy and DeftHeaven would be icing on the cake.

Yeah, I heard good things about The Ex but sadly, thier name strt with ''The'' :p

EDIT: Also, about Cheatahs. I tried to like, but they haven't grabbed me at all. I think my taste is slowly changing :(

Linius

Yeah, Pissed Jeans are amazing. I have already bought my ticket for their Birmingham Gig just before the festival. Very reminiscing of early, honest and down to earth, Hardcore scene of the 80s. I haven't seen them live but that is sure to change soon!

I am looking forward to them, Liars, Iceage, Chelsea Wolfe, Joanna Gruesome, METZ, Sun Kil Moon and Hookworms the most. Darkside, The Van Pelt, Amen Dunes, Perfect Pussy and DeftHeaven would be icing on the cake.

Yeah, I heard good things about The Ex but sadly, thier name strt with ''The'' :p

Farid pls, you're drunk posting again.

And yes, Chelsea Wolfe, Gruesome, Metz and Hookworms are amongst my picks too. Sadly I never really got in to Sun Kill Moon. It should be something I'd like but it does nothing for me. Except for falling asleep during listening maybe.

Too bad about Cheatahs man. They really amazed me live as well, they supported Cloud Nothings in Amsterdam. Put on a some shoegaze walls of the highest order. One of their songs went on for like 12 minutes. Also, I saw Childhood last weekend and they seem to be more shoegaze heavy than the first few singles seem to indicate. They really surprised me.

HiResDes

Yeah, its bloody amazing. Its incredible how much they have progressed through their short career. Why, it fells like yesterday when I wasn't into them, but their latest album have changed my perception towards them.

I don't think it's all that, definitely doesn't match up to Attack on Memory to me.

nullset2

Hell yeah, after a long experience with prog rock, I've been meaning to get more into indie rock, this thread is relevant to my interests...

Linius

I don't think it's all that, definitely doesn't match up to Attack on Memory to me.

I think it's pretty much continuing the path they took on Attack on Memory. Anything they put out before that is kind of irrelevant and different anyways. They also never play that stuff live again, like it never existed :p

Hell yeah, after a long experience with prog rock, I've been meaning to get more into indie rock, this thread is relevant to my interests...

This thread can always use more posters. It's pretty dead from time to time :(

Also let me post this beautiful live version of Under Pressure from The War on Drugs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMVeLpCKdaw&feature=youtu.be&t=19m

That sax, oh man <3

faridmon

Farid pls, you're drunk posting again.

And yes, Chelsea Wolfe, Gruesome, Metz and Hookworms are amongst my picks too. Sadly I never really got in to Sun Kill Moon. It should be something I'd like but it does nothing for me. Except for falling asleep during listening maybe.

Too bad about Cheatahs man. They really amazed me live as well, they supported Cloud Nothings in Amsterdam. Put on a some shoegaze walls from the highest order. One of their songs went on for like 12 minutes. Also, I saw Childhood last weekend and they seem to be more shoegaze heavy than the first few singles seem to indicate. They really surprised me.

Yeah, I am drunk since I just found out that Pissed Jeans are playing in Birmingham the very day the festival starts. Fuck, now, I have to actually find someone who is willing to go to a hardcore band instead of me and that is not easy!

About Cheatahs, Live they maybe good (I haven't seen them) but their record is devoid of any energy or melody I expect from my shoegaze bands these days. They seem to rely on the washed-out, heavily droned fizziness with no substance. Truly disappointing. Maybe I'll appreciate them live more so (Like I do with TOY) but as it stands, I am not a fan. Pity, really!

I haven't listened to Childhood yet. I'll make sure I get around it sometime. Also Sun Kill Moon's music is definitely a slow burner. I didn't like it at first, but the more I listened to it, the more it just grabbed me. It can be very hypnotic Sometimes!

I really didn't like Attack on Memories. In fact I am actually shocked how much I loved Here and Nowhere Else since I haven't been fan of them at all.

But again, I have been told that I have a very funny taste, so that should clear things up!

and while we are at it Beacon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tourist History

big ander

I like attack on memory more (kinda defines that year for me) but Here and Nowhere Else is a powerful step in a different direction and completely makes sense in following up the previous record. trying to recapture that vein of anger would've been cheap. instead baldi's problems morphed to a point where his targets are harder to see and it's impossible to attack as directly, but the emotion is just as strong. and the frayed, dicey production matches it all perfectly

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a big fan of Attack on Memory and haven't tried any of their other albums yet. Their sound just never clicked for me and I'm not sure why as it should be the kind of stuff I'd normally like.

Didn't like Celebration Rock as much as everyone else either though.

HiResDes

I'm not a big fan of Attack on Memory and haven't tried any of their other albums yet. Their sound just never clicked for me and I'm not sure why as it should be the kind of stuff I'd normally like.

Not a fan of Celebration Rock, I like the style done pessimistically.

faridmon

I don't think I'm ever gonna come around your taste completely but I'll keep stuff coming :p

Please keep dems bands coming, I am all ears :)

... except I have weird taste :)

If you like progressive/Space Rock then you should definitely try Föllakzoid. They have this weird combination of Krautrock-like psych driven, lengthy passage of melodies with strange combination of Minimalistic industrial undertone and soft metallic rift. Very subtle, and the best thing about them is that most of their track is like 10 mins long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVv2kY8YFEk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBh7tiuJVRg

Also Hookworms are amazing!

big ander

Yeah I dunno, if you like lo-fi punk or garage rock you'll probably like Turning On and the self-titled. they're definitely way different from the noisy post-hardcore/punk of most of Attack on Memory. but if you didn't even like Stay Useless or Cut You, you won't like the earlier records.

Japandroids were one of those bands that soundtracked a period for me, I think they were like 30% of my listening summer of 2012. was just perfect for driving around with friends or hanging out outside. haven't listened as much since (except for one time studying for finals that winter, when I listened to the house that heaven built on repeat for like 2 hours while studying for an analysis exam), and even back then I was conscious of the fact that it was just plain and simple and direct rock with a lot of energy put into it. Absolutely nothing groundbreaking but it's exhilarating and timely.

Pretty much how I'd think of this year's La Sera. that record does do anything new, but it rocks hard through a ton of surf rock and garage pop cliches while being actually interesting lyrically. Rearrange cliches in the right way and you can still have a damn solid record.

Linius

I have that with garage/punk bands mostly. Like last year I had FIDLAR on repeat but this year I hardly listen to them. Before it was a lot of King Tuff and METZ. This year it's together PANGEA. They don't do anything new but they're pretty ideal to listen to on repeat while going about my daily business. And FIDLAR and together PANGEA were also a LOT of fun live. I'm glad they usually don't do gigs longer than 45 minutes because after just 30 minutes I'm already too tired to keep going :p

HiResDes

Are you guys as hyped over White Lung's Deep Fantasy as me...HOLY SHIT!

batman_robin_headbanging.gif

...Also I'll never stop listening to Metz. FUCK YES

Yup. Psychic Trauma is good, and I'm Not a Part of Me is a solid alt rock jam but the entire album just lacked the bite of AoM.

That being said... fuck Fall In.

Are you guys as hyped over White Lung's Deep Fantasy as me...HOLY SHIT!
So hyped for White Lung, between that and Fucked Up, Canada is repping punk very well.

HiResDes

I agree wholeheartedly with every word. I've seen them live twice, and they don't even acknowledge Fall In. No Sentiment fucking slays live.

faridmon

I have that with garage/punk bands mostly. Like last year I had FIDLAR on repeat but this year I hardly listen to them. Before it was a lot of King Tuff and METZ. This year it's together PANGEA. They don't do anything new but they're pretty ideal to listen to on repeat while going about my daily business. And FIDLAR and together PANGEA were also a LOT of fun live. I'm glad they usually don't do gigs longer than 45 minutes because after just 30 minutes I'm already too tired to keep going :p

Correct me if I am still drunk, but FIDLAR's live music have not any similarity with their recordings. Caught me off guards to be honest with you.

Also, guys, if you don't mind Japanese Indie/Alternative, Czecho no Republic is coming with a new album next month and I can guarantee that it will be bloody awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyHUflC-EP0

Have you heard the new Total Control album Des? Some kick ass synthy post-punk, probably the surprise of the summer for me so far.

Also Linus, together PANGEA is fucking great. River is on my summer playlist and staying there.

Linius

Yup. Psychic Trauma is good, and I'm Not a Part of Me is a solid alt rock jam but the entire album just lacked the bite of AoM.

That being said... fuck Fall In.

So hyped for White Lung, between that and Fucked Up, Canada is repping punk very well.

I'm glad someone mentions Fucked Up. This was at the festival last weekend

MYpwIXw.jpg

OlVwKpe.jpg

Isn't he just the most awesome front man :lol

Correct me if I am still drunk, but FIDLAR's live music have not any similarity with their recordings. Caught me off guards to be honest with you.

As in he screams a lot more than you would have expected from the record? I mean the songs are pretty much the same as the studio versions but add ten times the energy and you have the live version. And their singer is completely crazy. Dude was running around the crowd whilst screaming his lyrics at the gig I was at :p

Also Linus, together PANGEA is fucking great. River is on my summer playlist and staying there.

Great to hear man. I realize I may have devoted a bit too much posts to them already but they just keep me hooked :p

big ander

haha aw man I love fall in. going into it right after wasted days is fantastic.

I've only listened to Deep Fantasy once. Didn't think it lived up to Sorry, maybe equal with It's The Evil. But I was really tired when I played it, and since the week it came out I've been in more of a dance/ambient/art rap/experimental rock/slowcore/power pop mood (moods idk). and then the alex g record dropped and he was pretty much all I listened to for a week. But I was playing Big Ups last night and feeling it so I'll probably revisit Deep Fantasy this week. Everyone whose taste I respect is raving about howt heir melodies have grown on this one and how good the lyrics are, tho I couldn't hear the lyrics that well first listen (always bad at that though, there are songs I've heard 20 times whose lyrics I fuck up)

edit: and that Total Control album is dope. especially systematic fuck and flesh war. (again I think I like Henge Beat better tho)

Is this it? http://hengebeat.bandcamp.com/

...Can listen now, been catching up with a bunch of new stuff before I go to this Lydia Lunch show.

Yep, haven't heard any of their other stuff so can't speak on it but I was suitably impressed with this one.

I've only listened to Deep Fantasy once. Didn't think it lived up to Sorry, maybe equal with It's The Evil. But I was really tired when I played it, and since the week it came out I've been in more of a dance/ambient/art rap/experimental rock/slowcore/power pop mood (moods idk). and then the alex g record dropped and he was pretty much all I listened to for a week. But I was playing Big Ups last night and feeling it so I'll probably revisit Deep Fantasy this week. Everyone whose taste I respect is raving about howt heir melodies have grown on this one and how good the lyrics are, tho I couldn't hear the lyrics that well first listen (always bad at that though, there are songs I've heard 20 times whose lyrics I fuck up)

Kermit_4b788e_224220.gif

Linius

Need shoegaze recommendations! I love My Bloody Valentine but don't really know where to go after that.

The most obvious ones to check out now are Slowdive, Ride, Pale Saints and Chapterhouse I guess.

Current bands I know of that also shoegaze (some more than others) are The Horrors, Crocodiles and the above mentioned Whirr of course.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That's pretty spot on, I really miss the pure angst and nihilism from Attack on Memory

I never really think of Attack as being wholly nihilistic though - it's got a few standout dark tracks but it also has a bunch of joyous pop punk. Listen to Fall In and try to maintain a bad mood, it's impossible.

overcast

Need shoegaze recommendations! I love My Bloody Valentine but don't really know where to go after that.
The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Ride - Nowhere
Pains of Being Pure At Heart - Self Titled

Always felt like the last one was a fantastic mix of indie rock and shoegaze.

faridmon

faridmon

How the hell can you omit Cryuff in The Bedroom, Luminous Orange, Hartfield, Lemon's chair, Coaltar of the Deeper and Spangle Call Lilli Line when you mention J-gaze?

Holy shit, we're in community now.

#wemadeit
The young premature death starts today!

It was fun while it lasted hipsters!

Kansoku

How the hell can you omit Cryuff in The Bedroom, Luminous Orange, Hartfield, Lemon's chair, Coaltar of the Deeper and Spangle Call Lilli Line when you mention J-gaze?

Well, I forgot Luminous Orange and Hartfield (I kinda don't like them), and the rest I don't know :p

faridmon

Well, I forgot Luminous Orange and Hartfield (I kinda don't like them), and the rest I don't know :p

I am ripping my hair out now!!!!

Drop everything and listen to Cruyff in the Bedroom.

I mean it: RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Please for the sake of humanity

Top Bottom