• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Hmm, starting tomorrow the last round of gigs for this year is coming up. This gonna be good.

03/10: The Antlers
14/10: Avi Buffalo
01/11: Spoon + Sebadoh
03/11: Ty Segall
21/11: Le Guess Who? (Ought, Parquet Courts, Bonnie Prince Billy, Dr. John & The Nite Trippers, Perfume Genius, Iceage, White Lung)
22/11: Le Guess Who? (Wire, Mac DeMarco, Cloud Nothings, King Tuff + more garage bands, Son Lux, Autechre)
23/12: Typhoon (Dutch rapper)

Hopefully the LGW? schedule will be good. October, november and december some how always have a ton of good club shows. And then once january, february, march hits it's rather quiet.

chris121580

Album stream from a solid band called White Laces. Really dig this album.

http://www.stereogum.com/1709262/stream-white-laces-trance-stereogum-premiere/tour-dates/

It’s been a big year for dreamy Virginia indie-pop band White Laces. As of April, when we premiered “Skate Or Die,” they were still looking for a label to release the follow-up to 2012′s debut Moves, but that didn’t keep them from opening for likeminded Philly rockers the War On Drugs just as Lost In The Dream hysteria hit fever pitch. By the time “Nothing Clicks” hit the internet last month, White Laces had linked up with Happenin’ Records for next week’s release of Trance. Produced by War On Drugs associate Jeff Zeigler (who’s also helmed records by Nothing and Purling Hiss), Trance is retro-tinged with that ’80s haze that cloaked so much of the best rock ’n’ roll lately. It feels like a flesh-and-blood rock band pensively forging ahead through a digital mirage. There’s also a song called “Keith Sweat” that somehow sounds like Tom Petty, Wild Nothing, and Jimmy Eat World at the same time. (Alas, it doesn’t sound like Keith Sweat.) Enjoy the album in its entirety below.

big ander

I removed the Cloud Nothings record for 2-3 months because I thought distance would help me see if I was liking it so much more than many others out of bias or if it was genuinely great. On a revisit: might be the best rock record of the year. Snarls. Runners up would be Big Ups, Ought, Tony Molina, Cold Foamers.

Anyone heard the Ex Hex debut Rips yet? Streaming: http://www.npr.org/2014/09/28/350589315/first-listen-ex-hex-rips I know people who were stunned by the 7", I wasn't as blown away but they were good tracks. I'm glad they seemingly rerecorded those tracks for the LP, the new takes are nice, though it's still just pretty good alt rock/power pop. Worth a listen but not a can't-miss.
Chicago Reader posted an astonishing, heartbreaking article about Jason Molina's life yesterday. Fair warning: your day will be ruined, but man, this is just about as essential as music journalism gets.

I got one section into it and it was already heartrending, but in a way that I know I have to bookmark it and come back when I've heard more of his work. Only have one Songs: Ohia record.

I removed the Cloud Nothings record for 2-3 months because I thought distance would help me see if I was liking it so much more than many others out of bias or if it was genuinely great. On a revisit: might be the best rock record of the year. Snarls. Runners up would be Big Ups, Ought, Tony Molina, Cold Foamers.
Love that album. If it weren't for The Orwells Disgraceland, it would sit at #1 for the year as of current.

Linius

Where to start with Nick Cave?

Maybe Henry's Dream and Let Love In. And then Murder Balads to hear him screaming almost a record long. To be honest, Cave hardly made bad records. Dig, Lazarus, Digg!! is probably the most easy one to get into.

Love that album. If it weren't for The Orwells Disgraceland, it would sit at #1 for the year as of current.

I quite like Disgraceland, but outside the singles there are quite a few weaker songs on there too sadly.

big ander

This is dominating for me right now: awesome synth-post-punk/garage/experimental band Whatever Brains broke their three year streak of releasing self-titled LPs this year--by releasing a basically untitled double EP instead on Sorry State Records. SSR-63 is the first and is a 22 minute continuous journey, just stellar. SSR-64 is no. 2 and is more digestible. not not weird or excellent though. "UVOD" is maybe their catchiest track yet while still being sinister as hell. Hugely recommend this.

I haven't played Disgraceland much to be honest. think the difference from Remember When is that all the best songs on Disgraceland I had already heard plenty of times before it came out through EPs/singles: Always N Forever, Blood Bubbles, Who Needs You. and honestly, those three weren't just my favorite songs on Disgraceland, they were the only ones I entirely liked. maybe Dirty Sheets too, but I thought the album was a whiff. Still think they're a cool group of guys.

Yup. Same thing. Except the longest time i've gone without listening to it was maybe 4 days. Probably my aoty.

The live session on spotify is great too.

faridmon

The only problem with new Cloud Nothing's record is that its just too short. Its over before you know it. But Yeah Big Ups and Ought's Albums are definitely top 10 material. Amazing outings!

Speaking of amazing album, Bloody hell isn't Liars new record amazing or what!

big ander

not at all man, it's quietly sinister, has great bass lines, a peculiar but fitting production style/mix, awesome guitar tones, catchy catchy tracks. A valuable new angle on CN's existing blend of post-hardcore, indie rock and pop punk.

And I'm gonna ring the bell on Whatever Brains again because I can't stop playing these EPs and the cacophonous mix of bubbling kraut and noise rock and Thinking Fellers Union Local 282-esque Southern experimental rock abnormality is too much

Steamlord

And I'm gonna ring the bell on Whatever Brains again because I can't stop playing these EPs and the cacophonous mix of bubbling kraut and noise rock and Thinking Fellers Union Local 282-esque Southern experimental rock abnormality is too much

Welp, guess I have to check out Whatever Brains

The only problem with new Cloud Nothing's record is that its just too short.
I was expecting more from it after how awesome Attack On Memory was. It's still a great record but a bit of a downgrade in my opinion. It will probably end up in my top 5 this year since it's been a pretty underwhelming year for music for me. Damn 2012 was a packed year, I don't think Attack On Memory cracked my top 5.

big ander

Welp, guess I have to check out Whatever Brains
heh I got into them exactly that way. Someone was talking about them and then said they were comparable to TFUL282 and I was already downloading every album.
Damn, The Antlers were amazing tonight.
their set list good? Mostly Familiars stuff right now? I'd kill for some Attic tracks live tbh, on record they're sorta claustrophobic but with a full band they could be blown wide open and become amazing

Linius

They played every song from Familiars if I'm not mistaken. I think two or three from Hospice. And one each of Burst Apart and that last EP. Something like that.

But yeah, they really explode live. His vocals are most of the time clear and on point. An odd sound issue here and there, but nothing too annoying. And they go from dreamy to climax a lot. So intense. Saw them in a venue that used to be a church way back so the atmosphere was great. And they had a rather big crowd, they were really grateful for the fact that they could play there. A few years ago they played a small room on the other side of the square.

Danielsan

They played every song from Familiars if I'm not mistaken. I think two or three from Hospice. And one each of Burst Apart and that last EP. Something like that.

But yeah, they really explode live. His vocals are most of the time clear and on point. An odd sound issue here and there, but nothing too annoying. And they go from dreamy to climax a lot. So intense. Saw them in a venue that used to be a church way back so the atmosphere was great. And they had a rather big crowd, they were really grateful for the fact that they could play there. A few years ago they played a small room on the other side of the square.
Yeah they were pretty amazing. So happy that they played Kettering and Epilogue. The encore was especially amazing.

I did want to choke the majority of the crowd during the opening act. Complete lack of respect from the crowd. At some point I could barely hear the music because everyone behind me was yapping.

Also sorry that I didn't say hi. I think you stood almost directly behind me (I was the guy in the white t-shirt and red vans with the girl in a black shirt), but I wasn't sure if it was you.

Linius

I stayed at the bar during the opening act so I could have a conversation and some beer without disturbing everyone else :p

And yes, then I stood almost right behind you. The couple next to you were a bit annoying, I was debating in my mind if I should recommend them a good hotel. I don't think they've seen much of the band :O

Danielsan

I stayed at the bar during the opening act so I could have a conversation and some beer without disturbing everyone else :p

And yes, then I stood almost right behind you. The couple next to you were a bit annoying, I was debating in my mind if I should recommend them a good hotel. I don't think they've seen much of the band :O
Yeah, my girlfriend also pointed them out when they were in the process of eating each other up. Clearly did not come to see the band.

faridmon

Well, As I have said, I never liked any of Cloud Nothings' previous outings, and Attack on Memory changed that. I like a good Pop Punk music and that coupled with noise garage sound of CN with incredibly catchy tunes and an enjoyable Bass Line, then its get a big thumbs up.

HiResDes

Well, As I have said, I never liked any of Cloud Nothings' previous outings, and Attack on Memory changed that. I like a good Pop Punk music and that coupled with noise garage sound of CN with incredibly catchy tunes and an enjoyable Bass Line, then its get a big thumbs up.
Oh I absolutely loved Attack on Memory, but for me the followup just sounds like a blander version of the same thing.

faridmon

Oh I absolutely loved Attack on Memory, but for me the followup just sounds like a blander version of the same thing.

Sorry to confuse you but I mean Here and Nowhere Else. I sort of liked Attack on Memory, but Here is a stripped down version of that album which scratch my pop punk scratch to a degree.

Listened to Sun Kil Moon's Benji today. I'm blown away. Great album.

The exact opposite of Here and Nowhere Else I have it with this album. Its just too damn long. Way too long. If it was, say, 20 min, shorter, it would have been almost perfect, but it drags on, that album does. Its still a great album though!

Speaking of which, this year have been the year of the overly long album releases. Liars, Foxygen, Fear of Men, The Juan Maclean, We Were Evergreen, Thumpers, The Drums, Ought, Tune-Yards to mention a few have all been either 1+ hour albums or too damn long for their own good.

Sorry to confuse you but I mean Here and Nowhere Else. I sort of liked Attack on Memory, but Here is a stripped down version of that album which scratch my pop punk scratch to a degree.

The exact opposite of Here and Nowhere Else I have it with this album. Its just too damn long. Way too long. If it was, say, 20 min, shorter, it would have been almost perfect, but it drags on, that album does. Its still a great album though!

Speaking of which, this year have been the year of the overly long album releases. Liars, Foxygen, Fear of Men, The Juan Maclean, We Were Evergreen, Thumpers, The Drums, Ought, Tune-Yards to mention a few have all been either 1+ hour albums or too damn long for their own good.

Ought and Sun Kil Moon overlong? Especially Ought.

big ander

The Ought record is like 45 minutes! It does have one 5 minute song that you could lose completely (Forgiveness) but it's otherwise pretty concise.

And The Juan Maclean clocks in at just under an hour, which is about how long a nu-disco/dance punk record should run I think.

HiResDes

Benji sounds even longer than it is because it's just Sun Kil rambling about these old tales and dwelling on insubstantial minutia in a rather quaint and quirky way. It gets tiresome long before its end when you realize not everything adds up in this big, momentous way, and the lyrics eschew any rhyme or reason.

Linius

The Ought record is like 45 minutes! It does have one 5 minute song that you could lose completely (Forgiveness) but it's otherwise pretty concise.

And The Juan Maclean clocks in at just under an hour, which is about how long a nu-disco/dance punk record should run I think.

Forgiveness kind of takes the flow out of it but I still rather like it. A song like Today More Than Any Other Day also has a very slow up build up by the way. The mix between slow parts and up tempo is quite good. Great album anyways, one for the list. Plus great live band too.

Caught Beach House last night, to say they killed it would be an understatement.

Anyone who says Bloom is dull or samey obviously hasn't seen them live, all the Bloom tracks (especially Irene) were the highlight.
Alongside 10 Mile Stereo ofc

amnesiac

edit: ^^ weird coincidence haha

I was exploring Mark Kozelek's older work then stumbled across Red House Painters... Really enjoying this. Apparently it's "slowcore." Listening to other bands in that genre, it almost sounds like shoegaze without all of the effects. Any recommendations?

big ander

edit: ^^ weird coincidence haha

I was exploring Mark Kozelek's older work then stumbled across Red House Painters... Really enjoying this. Apparently it's "slowcore." Listening to other bands in that genre, it almost sounds like shoegaze without all of the effects. Any recommendations?

Carissa's Wierd (not a typo) is one of my favorite bands. best slowcore act. 3 real records: Ugly But Honest, You Should Be At Home Here, Songs About Leaving. the last is the best, all are amazing.

Some of the usual subgenre defining records: Low - Things We Lost in the Fire, Codeine - Frigid Stars, Bedhead - WhatFunLifeWas, Duster - Contemporary Movement, Bluetile Lounge - lowercase. My favorites of these are the Duster and Codeine ones

Low's recent output is great too, they're a consistent band. check out C'mon or I Could Live In Hope. There's also the second Codeine record The White Birch, or Duster's other output which includes Stratosphere in addition to harder-to-find stuff like the Apex, Trance-like single or the On The Dodge demo tape (which is stellar).

And I'll throw out The American Analog Set too. At their core they're an indie pop band, but especially on their early records they had melancholy instrumental passages and understated delivery. They aren't as directly slowcore so they may not be exactly what you're looking for. but imo they're better than every other band I've listed but Carissa's Wierd

Really enjoying this So Cow record from last month

TMX-1159-425x425.jpg

The Long con

Fun, solid, consistent indie rock record.

Danielsan

What a dick. The only thing I've ever enjoyed by Kozelek is Ghosts of the Great Highway. Benji comes off as some pretentious bullshit and him trying way too hard. It was tough for me to finish. He's basically becoming some grumpy old man who is jealous of a band who has put out one of the best albums of the year. Pathetic on his part
While I could do nothing but shake my head at all the bullshit Kozelek has been up to these past few weeks, I do think people are taking this more serious than the man himself. Also Lost InThe Dream has nothing on Benji as far as I'm concerned, but that's subjective.

chris121580

While I could do nothing but shake my head at all the bullshit Kozelek has been up to these past few weeks, I do think people are taking this more serious than the man himself.
That may be so but why do it in the first place? He just comes off looking pathetic unless he's just that desperate for attention

faridmon

Ought and Sun Kil Moon overlong? Especially Ought.

Sunk kil Moon is Overlong. A lot of rambling and annoyingly repetitive music makes it all a bit too tiresome to listen. I happen to skip most of the tracks whenevr I get past the 1 min mark.

While I do like the Ought album, keep in mind that its only 9 tracks that is clocked a bit over 45 min. A lot of them have a long slow build up while others just goes on and on and on.

Both albums needs trimming.

Some of those tracks just goes on being repetitive and all. After all those hype interview with them going more progressive, Its certainly disappointing to see them being DFA-ed like this and rely heavily on bass progression rather than a complete musical exploration.

Top Bottom