• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

BNT aside I wasn't totally sold on Iceage's 180 with the Lord's Favorite. Good track but a whole album like it might drag. Once Elias went the full Ian Curtis on Forever...

LL

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wooden Sky's new one, Let's Be Ready, is streaming.

They're just the best dudes, and keep getting better. Hard to believe they have zero presence outside of Canada after six releases now; even their tours never cross the border.

If you ever get the chance to see Neutral Milk Hotel live take it. They fucking slayed, Jeff opened solo and the band came out during the end of the first track seamlessly plugged in then without missing a beat he just said 1 2 1234 and everyone lost their minds. The stage was in front of a forest and there were a bank of lights embedded that kicked in during the switch up in King of Carrot Flowers Part 2. And Ghost... I can't even.

/end rant

Setlist:
I Will Bury You in Time
Holland, 1945
The King of Carrot Flowers, Part One
The King of Carrot Flowers, Parts Two & Three
Naomi
Ferris Wheel on Fire
Two-Headed Boy
The Fool
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
A Baby for Pree
Gardenhead / Leave Me Alone
Oh Comely
Song Against Sex
Ruby Bulbs
Snow Song, Part One
Little Birds
Ghost
[untitled]
Two-Headed Boy, Part Two

big ander

If you ever get the chance to see Neutral Milk Hotel live take it. They fucking slayed, Jeff opened solo and the band came out during the end of the first track seamlessly plugged in then without missing a beat he just said 1 2 1234 and everyone lost their minds. The stage was in front of a forest and there were a bank of lights embedded that kicked in during the switch up in King of Carrot Flowers Part 2. And Ghost... I can't even.

/end rant

Is there any info on how much longer they'll be doing this reunion tour? I meant to see them at pitchfork but had to skip that, had to skip a date before then because I had to spend the money on something else, and now they're playing the Hollywood Bowl with The Breeders and Daniel Johnston— which would be awesome, even though I've already seen the breeders and only kinda know Johnston, but I've kinda maxed out my show budget for the time being and don't know if I want to dive in on $50 tickets for a distant, distant seat.

chris121580

Wooden Sky's new one, Let's Be Ready, is streaming.

They're just the best dudes, and keep getting better. Hard to believe they have zero presence outside of Canada after six releases now; even their tours never cross the border.
Oh man, I absolutely love this band! If I don't come home, you'll know I'm gone is so damn good. Had no idea they had a new one coming out. Can't wait to check it out! Thanks for the link!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
NPR's got the new Perfume Genius playing.

Mike's absolutely killing it: changes up his sound a bit (for the better) with Utley and Parrish in the studio, and still leaves me gagging for more with those brutally short-and-concise songs lengths. An easy aoty contender.

HiResDes

Mike's absolutely killing it: changes up his sound a bit (for the better) with Utley and Parrish in the studio, and still leaves me gagging for more with those brutally short-and-concise songs lengths. An easy aoty contender.
Can't wait was disappointed by the new Jj, so maybe this will satisfy my thirst for some new emotional pop. I'd also love to hear a new Antony Hegarty record, what happened to that guy?

big ander

I'll need a few more listens—stream wouldn't load for forever and then kept skipping on me and I felt like the tracks were out of order?—but after one late-night session: excellent, excellent stuff and a perfect move forward for Hadreas. In line with the wobbling emotional piano songwriting of the previous two records, but multiplied by dark synths and noise and abrasion and dizzying arena-ready new wave pop. All I wanted to do at the end of hearing it once was listen to it over again, which bodes really, really well.

I have been pleasantly suprised by Divorce. Some new band outta Pittsburgh. They're a little post-punk, a little pop-punk, a little 90s emo, a little 90s alt.

- Click image to listen-
Their album Lifters comes out tomorrow

They're getting comparisons to Braid/Jimmy Eat World/ Brand New. Definitely do not hear the latter, outside of being depressed sounding.

Really interesting to listen to. Been caught off guard a few times during the stream of their album. Sometimes they can sound like any other Post-Punk band who hate themselves and then on the next track they sound like a pop punk band doing a foo fighter impersonation all while maintaining their introspective/self loathing lyrics with choruses like "You gotta feel something more than just ok/you won't even try/no, you won't even try/you're just fine." or "I miss all of you, I miss all of you/but I can't figure out/ how to tell you without sounding desperate or alone/ I miss all of you, I miss all of you/I just needed you to know" or a closing group shouted line like "All I'm trying to say is that I'm sick of being a mess"

Ohhh gonna check it out later.

Been trying to listen to Dikembe's "Mediumship" but I just can't outside of Hood Rat Messiah

chris121580

I have been pleasantly suprised by Divorce. Some new band outta Pittsburgh. They're a little post-punk, a little pop-punk, a little 90s emo, a little 90s alt.

- Click image to listen-
Their album Lifters comes out tomorrow

They're getting comparisons to Braid/Jimmy Eat World/ Brand New. Definitely do not hear the latter, outside of being depressed sounding.

Really interesting to listen to. Been caught off guard a few times during the stream of their album. Sometimes they can sound like any other Post-Punk band who hate themselves and then on the next track they sound like a pop punk band doing a foo fighter impersonation all while maintaining their introspective/self loathing lyrics with choruses like "You gotta feel something more than just ok/you won't even try/no, you won't even try/you're just fine." or "I miss all of you, I miss all of you/but I can't figure out/ how to tell you without sounding desperate or alone/ I miss all of you, I miss all of you/I just needed you to know" or a closing group shouted line like "All I'm trying to say is that I'm sick of being a mess"
This is damn good. Thanks for sharing. It's on Spotify for those wanting to check it out. Along with the comparisons you made, there is definitely a hint of early Foo Fighters in there as well

Futureman

I don't understand Carrie's tweet posted above? what is the context?

you peeps know Hospitality? My GF's sister directed the video for "I Miss Your Bones."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKZZoHZvZ5c

man I haven't listened to much new music lately. Gonna have to check some stuff out in here. Listening to Joanna Gruesome/Trust Fund split EP right now.

amnesiac

Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich have just shared this photo:

043y1iF.jpg

Judging from the artwork in the back, new Thom Yorke/Atoms For Peace album? Maybe if those prints are unrelated it could be new Radiohead material?

Alpende

Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich have just shared this photo:

Judging from the artwork in the back, new Thom Yorke/Atoms For Peace album? Maybe if those prints are unrelated it could be new Radiohead material?

Didn't even notice the artwork. A new Atoms album would be neat, really liked the first one.

big ander

What's the deal with Whirr? Lately I've been hearing that they're assholes and whatnot.

from what I know (not much) they just spend an inordinate amount of time on their facebook page making fun of their fans. which I think it kinda funny even though/because I don't really like their music much

Steamlord

I'm a bit disappointed in Sway. It's not bad by any means, but I'm missing those female vocals that helped make tracks like Leave and Flashback so magical. When you compare it to Distressor or the better tracks on Pipe Dreams it just doesn't hold up. That said, if I just judge it on its own merits without comparing it to their previous material it's pretty solid.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Been listenin to a lot of Hamilton Leithauser's solo stuff (Singer of The Walkmen). Pretty good album

I don't understand Carrie's tweet posted above? what is the context?

you peeps know Hospitality? My GF's sister directed the video for "I Miss Your Bones."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKZZoHZvZ5c

man I haven't listened to much new music lately. Gonna have to check some stuff out in here. Listening to Joanna Gruesome/Trust Fund split EP right now.

Nice! my friend gotten me into them recently. Singer really reminds me of Laura Veirs

chris121580

I love it, it sounds somewhere in between Hometowns(one of my favourite albums of all time) and Departing(a great album in its own right, but never lived up to Hometowns imo). I felt Paul and Amy were pushed into the background in Departing.

Can't get enough of Vulcan, AB atm.

Yeah, this is fantastic. Easily one of my favorite albums so far this year

Milchjon

Nara is off Alt-J's new album is brilliant. Goosebumps.

Otherwise it seems to be a somewhat forgettable album. Not on the same level as the first.

Top Bottom