• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Nara is off Alt-J's new album is brilliant. Goosebumps.

Otherwise it seems to be a somewhat forgettable album. Not on the same level as the first.

Agreed on your feelings concerning the album as a whole. An Awesome Wave had a sound that stuck in your head the entire day, regardless of the song you were listening to.

Fjordson

The new Julian Casasblancas + The Voidz album is pretty interesting. Way better than the last few Strokes records in my opinion.

Linius

That's a nice surprise.

I remember browsing the internet late at night once when all of a sudden dEUS dropped a new album on iTunes. This is pretty much the same, but now via torrents.

Really not into the new Weezer album. My buddies are raving "best since Pinkerton" jargon. It has like 2 good songs in it... I don't see this hype.

HiResDes

Seeing Alex G, The Raveonettes, Speedy Ortiz/Ema or Earth/Deafheaven, and Ex-Cult tonight. I have to make a hard choice though, should I see Speedy Ortiz and EMA or Earth and Deafheaven? They play at the same time at this festival

big ander

Seeing Alex G, The Raveonettes, Speedy Ortiz/Ema or Earth/Deafheaven, and Ex-Cult tonight. I have to make a hard choice though, should I see Speedy Ortiz and EMA or Earth and Deafheaven? They play at the same time at this festival

I'd go Speedy and EMA, but only because I love Speedy and kinda like EMA while I haven't heard enough Earth and don't really care for Deafheaven at all.

you are not prepared for Alex G's live screeching, it's awesome

HiResDes

Alex G was my personal favorite last night, and we got to talk to them afterwards at anotehr venue as they came to check out Speedy Ortiz and talked to me for ten minutes. Not that many people knew who they were and there show was quite empty considering it was at the only free venue of the night. Alex did the cool screeching thing and random heavy metal headbanging throughout his songs. He just exudes this fun yet somehow grunge/punk attitude that I absolutely love.

The Raveneottes new stuff sounded amazing live, the bass and electronic elements really sounded spectacular live for what must have been the loudest set of the night. Their vocals however were a bit muffled and lacked sparkle, but pretty good set overall.

Speedy Ortiz - Messy and terrible sounding, but not lacking energy, we left.

Earth - Boring as hell, doom bands need to be theatrical or break off from the studio versions of their songs to be entertaining live, people were sitting on the damn floor it was so boring.

Deafheaven - Vocals were mixed so fucking low, couldn't hear the singer at all, and he was screaming his lungs out in a sort of Children of Bodoms fashion. The lead singer had this weird narcissistic smile of an almost satanic nature. He kept motioning for the crowd to come closer and tried to grab their idols as everyone tried their hardest to gather under him in an idolatric fashion. The guitarists and drummer all played a good set, but their music started to sound a bit samey by the end, and the lack of vocals really killed the momentum of some of the tracks. Overall it was just okay. Death Grips played one of my three most favorite sets at this particular venue (Taft Ballroom).

faridmon

Honestly, I could see The new Big Ups album ''Eighteen Hours of Static'' being in my top 5 AOTY. Its just bloody great. Hardcore/Maths based music that is catchy and just plain fun. Short and up to the point and bloody killer Lyrics (Disposer is a well written track)

Also, I am enjoying the new Johnny Foreigner Album as well. One band that gets better and better with each subsequent release without innovating or adding anything new to their sound. They have new band member who plays synths, but its quite subtle considering all the shredding and the loud punk attitude. I am seeing them this Friday.

Also, looking forward seeing Playlounge whom are the supporters to Johnny Foreigner, Saw them ages ago supporting TRAAMS and they were great.

speedy ortiz are hit or miss live btw

I can attest to this. Saw them twice. Were quite shite first time around but saw them supporting Cloud Nothings (With Linius btw) and they were enjoyable. Such an inconsistent band to see live.

i've seen them live only once and that was in 2012 before they were "big" but they were solid there (that was with their original guitarist however) but i feel that since they've got a generally dissonant guitar sound that if they're not on point with their performances it can quickly fall apart and sound like shit.

faridmon

i've seen them live only once and that was in 2012 before they were "big" but they were solid there (that was with their original guitarist however) but i feel that since they've got a generally dissonant guitar sound that if they're not on point with their performances it can quickly fall apart and sound like shit.

Its generally because they all seem to be out of tune from each other for some reason and the guitar play is practically amateurish in its deliverance.

Tuning was all wack when I saw them first time!

Fjordson

Listening to the new Foxygen album. Pretty weird and really long, but I like it. Surprising how many tracks don't even have discernible vocals.

amnesiac

What's your favorite Elliott Smith album? Listening to a lot of him lately. He's probably one of my favorite artists.

I used to think Basement was his best, but I've been listening to Either/Or and XO and yeah, they're all fantastic albums.

chris121580

Listening to the new Foxygen album. Pretty weird and really long, but I like it. Surprising how many tracks don't even have discernible vocals.

It's too long in my opinion. They could've put out an incredible album if they selected about 12 tracks from it. It's a shame because I loved their last album. There is some really great stuff here but also a lot of forgettable songs. Double albums are tough to pull off and I think they stumbled with this one

Linius

Some a random quote from a music journo on my Twitter a month a go that Foxygen really fucked up. Kinda putting off listening to it myself now :p

Also noticed that Alvvays is opening for Foxygen over here. If Foxygen wasn't so terible live that would have been a nice double bill.

Fjordson

Foxygen has a new album? Had no idea.
Yeah, "...And Star Power". Comes out in a week I think.

It's too long in my opinion. They could've put out an incredible album if they selected about 12 tracks from it. It's a shame because I loved their last album. There is some really great stuff here but also a lot of forgettable songs. Double albums are tough to pull off and I think they stumbled with this one
Yeah, there are a few pieces of fluff to be sure, but it's interesting as a whole I think. I kinda like that they seemingly just went off the deep end with it.

But I do wish there were some more immediate songs ala How Can You Really or Everyone Needs Love. Sam France is a good vocalist imo and he isn't used enough on here.

overcast

Anyone know how Kurtvile is live? He's playing in December and I loved "Wakin" and like "Smoke Ring".

Also, I've never listened to Sleater Kinney, should I grab the discog ASAP? Or are some of the albums misses.

Linius

Anyone know how Kurtvile is live? He's playing in December and I loved "Wakin" and like "Smoke Ring".

Saw him last month in Amsterdam. Decent gig, Kurt Vile outplays his band though. Played a nice variety of old and new songs.

Now on the way home from Kurt Vile. Decent gig, some very nice guitar solos. And about five songs without the band on stage. Much better crowd compared to the war on drugs btw. Red Eyes really created a negative impact on their crowd sadly. Too many people just there for that one hit. While these guys are anything but poppy when you catch them live.

Found my old post about it.

HiResDes

Also, I've never listened to Sleater Kinney, should I grab the discog ASAP? Or are some of the albums misses.
Some definite misses IMO. I'm not the biggest fan though

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Much as I love Nick Cave, the Iceage album is unbearable to listen to. Just comes off like a bunch of obnoxious posturing. A shame, because their earlier stuff showed a lot more promise than this.

K.Sabot

I am really into the Iceage album as a guy who doesn't really like any nick cave albums besides the Grinderman albums and Let Love In.

The new Iceage is so good. I must have listened to it four times since its started streaming, it basically shot right into my top 10.
Plus I get to see them in two weeks, everything's coming up Towel

Fjordson

Yeah, I really like the new Iceage. It's growing on me.

Foxygen album is the opposite. Sort of souring on it. I mean I still enjoy it, but I'm not sure if I'll revisit it much. Some of the songs just feel undercooked.

Fjordson

My hype for foxygen dropped once I saw the the tracklist. My attention span is just not up for a band like them doing a White Album thing.
I was actually sort of excited for it, and there are a lot of neat ideas here, but some of the songs are just sort of...limp for lack of a better term. There's no punch or memorable melody or anything. Almost like demos that could at some point be developed into good songs.

Steamlord

It's weird that I feel the opposite about the new Iceage and Foxygen albums, considering I've preferred Iceage's past material to Foxygen's by far. Star Power was a blast for me the whole way through, while Plowing just felt tired and aimless, especially compared to their previous albums. I'll need to give it another listen and see if it grows on me.

Linius

Finally heard the new Iceage, great stuff even though completely different. Can definitely hear glimpses of Cave in this.

i hadn't listened to the new real estate record at all but i heard crime at a bar last night and was urged to check it out as result

rest of the album is vanilla as hell sadly

Top Bottom