• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Fjordson

Seeing Foxygen and Flaming Lips tonight in San Fran.

Last time I saw Foxygen they put on an amazing show, so hopefully it'll be a good time.

Linius

That's quite the contrary of what I've heard about them. The few gigs they did over here were pretty damn terrible from what I read. Always stoned out of their mind and barely noticing what they were doing. Which really put me off from seeing them, even though I love their debut.

Hopefully I can catch them at a festival some time.

Fjordson

That's quite the contrary of what I've heard about them. The few gigs they did over here were pretty damn terrible from what I read. Always stoned out of their mind and barely noticing what they were doing. Which really put me off from seeing them, even though I love their debut.

Hopefully I can catch them at a festival some time.
I've actually heard that too haha, why I put the qualifier "last time I saw them" because people I know who saw them lately didn't like them at all. Guess we'll see.

Futureman

Shinobu "10 Thermidor" now available on Spotify and free on their website:
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur075.htm

my fav band <3

listen if you like annoying/punk/indie rock.

"2Tone Tuesday" is my fav probably... though I love it all!

if anyone here listen(ed)s to "Bomb the Music Industry".... these guys are best friends. Jeff sings on the song "Jokes."

Shinobu "10 Thermidor" now available on Spotify and free on their website:
http://quoteunquoterecords.com/qur075.htm

my fav band <3

listen if you like annoying/punk/indie rock.

"2Tone Tuesday" is my fav probably... though I love it all!

if anyone here listen(ed)s to "Bomb the Music Industry".... these guys are best friends. Jeff sings on the song "Jokes."

Been waiting for this to drop. I used to be a huge BTMI! fan years ago. I'm glad I was about to catch the last show before their last show.

Man, I'd never even heard of these guys before stumbling across them on Spotify today but this debut by Catfish and the Bottlemen is really damn good. Great hooks and great vocals. Love every track on it. Posted a few below:

Homesick:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhfXl1OefI8

Cocoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va75GaPv5jY

Fallout
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLTRjMSX6k

Found these guys yesterday too. Really solid debut album by this band. I recommend everyone check it out.

Linius

I love the song "I'm A Cuckoo" but don't really know any of their albums.

Best to check out?

Tigermilk, If You're Feeling Sinister and The Life Pursuit are my favourite albums. The Boy With the Arab Strap is great too.

And then there's this EP/singles collection called Push Barman to Open Old Wounds which is really worth checking out.

Futureman

April 7th = Waxahatchee's "Ivy Tripp"

5be2dee9.jpg

listen to the song "Air" here:
http://pitchfork.com/news/57817-waxahatchee-announces-new-album-ivy-tripp/

Futureman

yessssss

hopefully a tour that hits the west coast happens around then too

04-26 San Diego, CA - The Casbah %
04-28 Los Angeles, CA - The Roxy %
04-29 San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall %
05-01 Portland, OR - Doug Fir %
05-03 Seattle, WA - The Crocodile %

big ander

Ooh Waxahatchee on Merge now, cool stuff.

I've never been crazy into Sufjan but that's mostly pure chance-- loved Illinoise in HS, didn't like Adz as college began, have only listened to the Christmas stuff outside of that.

Forgot to do my civic duty and make an AOTY list. Mine probably wouldn'tve impacted much unless a bunch of other people were also putting DSU up there (can't load such an image-heavy thread on mobile)

HiResDes

Ooh Waxahatchee on Merge now, cool stuff.

I've never been crazy into Sufjan but that's mostly pure chance-- loved Illinoise in HS, didn't like Adz as college began, have only listened to the Christmas stuff outside of that.

Forgot to do my civic duty and make an AOTY list. Mine probably wouldn'tve impacted much unless a bunch of other people were also putting DSU up there (can't load such an image-heavy thread on mobile)

I voted for DSU brotha, you should have voted asshole

Steamlord

At least it looks like Angel Olsen and maybe Swans will get (some of) the recognition they deserve. Vashti Bunyan and Chrome, not so much.

And I'm always down for new Sufjan and Waxahatchee.

Also, I'm making a nearly-eight-hour round trip in April to see Neutral Milk Hotel the week before my finals and graduation. So that'll be fun. What really pisses me off is that they played in freaking Tulsa last year, like an hour away, and I couldn't get tickets. Ugh. Oh well. I'm also seeing A Place to Bury Strangers in OKC in March at this awesome little venue that hosts a bunch of great punk and noise rock acts. I saw Perfect Pussy there last year.

Linius

Seeing the kind of trips you guys have to make sometimes makes me feel lucky to live in a small country. It doesn't happen too often a band doesn't come near me. Especially considering the fact that I live close to both Amsterdam and Utrecht, the epicenter of live music in our country.

overcast

Shit, I let gaf down and I let spicy boy Alex g down
Goddamn. I put it as my favorite album, which I didn't see coming at the beginning of the year. Thanks to some of trusted posters recommendations. So, you guys did your part.

I listened to Illinois and Michigan quite a bit in my HS days. Willing to go back to him though. Which of his other albums are great?

faridmon

I wish Sleater-Kinney would come to Birmingham, but ALAS, their only show is in London and Its sold out already.

Speaking of which, I am trying to enjoy Cymbal Eat Guitar's latest album LOSE and I am not. I may actually go as far and say its boring and mediocre. What am I missing here?

Linius

Not much man if it's up to me. Except for a couple of songs it didn't do much for me. 2 Hip Soul is really good though.

faridmon

Good to see, I am not the only one, although I do like the piano play Child Bride. it gives me this nostalgic feeling.

Also, the change in appearance of Joanna Gruesome is ''HOLY SHIT'' I hope their music doesn't suffer much.

big ander

Good to see, I am not the only one, although I do like the piano play Child Bride. it gives me this nostalgic feeling.

Also, the change in appearance of Joanna Gruesome is ''HOLY SHIT'' I hope their music doesn't suffer much.
Waitshit what happened? Is Lan leaving the band? I feel like she's been alluding to that.

big ander

All of them are still intact, its just they went from this Grunge diy Attitude for their pics to heavily popified .... make over.

from this:

To this
Phew. I don't think they look that different. Ones obviously a publicity photo and the earlier ones are semi-candid or just at gigs. Even then they're wearing basically the same outfits lol

Pacbois

I think Joanna Gruesome are actually currently recording their second LP, so I don't think someone's leaving or whatever. As for the new look, whatever, it often has nothing to do with sound right ? Also they're pretty much a (Indie) pop-band already.

(And I hope Lan won't leave, mostly because she's a really good singer, partly because I have a slight crush on her)

faridmon

Phew. I don't think they look that different. Ones obviously a publicity photo and the earlier ones are semi-candid or just at gigs. Even then they're wearing basically the same outfits lol

To be fair, their first few photos were their publicity photo. Its just a tad bit surprising on their make over, but whatever, hope the new record is as good as the first one.

And their second one is coming this spring with Lana as the main vocalist.

The new Johnny Marr record is really good, maybe even better than his first. That guy knows how to make a killer riff.

Fjordson

Kinda random, but I've been revisiting the last two Smith Westerns albums for some reason over the past few days. I really like both of them. A shame they disbanded.

Top Bottom