• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

Yea what album are they listening to?
Even in the moments I like it, I can't understand calling it an all-timer best ever. oh well I guess. I can only see them getting as big as someone like Iceage and having more noisy post-punk bands being at least competent-to-good while making money isn't bad. I just can't get behind VC in any way

faridmon

Wow, I guess people like to ignore Menace Beach when talking about the hot bands right now, huh?

Linius, I am disappointed. By far the best album so far this year was made by them.

faridmon

I can't reflexively hype anything that didn't get BNM'd. A man's got to have a code.

Lol

Actually reading that website, they didn't even bother to review it? Its not out in some part of the world?

Rat World is fantastic and the production value (done by Hookworms' own MJ) is some of the best I have seen.

HiResDes

Even in the moments I like it, I can't understand calling it an all-timer best ever. oh well I guess. I can only see them getting as big as someone like Iceage and having more noisy post-punk bands being at least competent-to-good while making money isn't bad. I just can't get behind VC in any way
I was more excited about No Age when they first dropped Nouns and Abe Vigoda when they dropped Skeletons than VC tbh. Iceage too.

big ander

Shuffle luckily gave me something on-topic: No Device by Criminal Code came on shuffle and I ended up listening to most of the album and realizing I underrated it last year. Shreds.

making anote of this Menace Beach album. and I have those Girl Band singles from last year bookmarked thanks to Fantano but I never got around to listening to them

Fjordson

Really like the pinkshinyultrablast record. I don't know if it was me needing to wake up or warm up to it but I didn't really enjoy it until the second half. Land's End and Ravestar somethingwhatever especially. Slots in well in between Bilinda Butchers' dreamy shoegaze pop and Future Death's candied math/noise rock, and some of the vocals were echoey and cut up in a way that made me think of Arbutus stuff
Revisiting this since I just heard the full thing: damn it's good!

Linius

All-timer best ever of what? Other than more people calling VC for their AOTY lists I don't think I've seen anyone on the internet claim it's a best album ever or shit like that. You go to dark places man, it's just a great album from an exciting new band :p

Menace Beach ain't out yet. But the singles I've heard are good. Haven't got around checking the leak that's floating around.

And Girl Band is also great. Will they release their debut this year? They play the old blue last on the 27th Farid, you should go.

big ander

Revisiting this since I just heard the full thing: damn it's good!
think I needed to sit on it the rest of the day to evaluate--and yeah, I really like it. Gonna revisit soon.
All-timer best ever of what? Other than more people calling VC for their AOTY lists I don't think I've seen anyone on the internet claim it's a best album ever or shit like that. You go to dark places man, it's just a great album from an exciting new band :p

Menace Beach ain't out yet. But the singles I've heard are good. Haven't got around checking the leak that's floating around.

And Girl Band is also great. Will they release their debut this year? They play the old blue last on the 27th Farid, you should go.

the internet's all a dark place

Menace Beach isn't out but it's "out". and I'm listening to Girl Band singles now and really liking them, hope that debut comes. going by their facebook I may not get to see them for a while, I'm in California and they apparently failed to even get to NYC

Linius

Once their debut drops they will probably start touring more. Last year I missed them at best kept secret sadly. They clashed with Mogwai.

2015 is looking to break me. If half the heavy hitters live up to expectations it's gonna be something special.

And as such I wouldn't be surprised if neither NCTL or VC make my top 10,

Linius

Tonight I'm seeing my first gig of 2015: Interpol
myyqQEs.png

HiResDes

Hey my friend wants some good folk recommendations, and I started typing stuff out on Facebook and the format just isn't too my liking, would anyone be opposed to me making a little post here and just linking her?

big ander

The Pop Group dripped, and somehow, against the odds of being a reunion album after 35 years, it's not disappointing. it's even good.

HiResDes

Recommendations include artist names followed by their best albums in my opinion

Under Appreciated Classics
  • Al Stewart - Year of the Cat (1976); Modern Times (1975); Past, Present & Future (1973)
  • Exuma - Exuma (1970); Exuma II (1970)
  • John Martyn - Solid Air (1973); Bless the Weather (1971)
  • Loudain Wainwright III - Attempted Mustache (1973); More Love Songs (1986)
  • Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis (1998)
  • Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (1970)

Psychedelic Folk
  • Amen Dunes - Love (2014); Through Donkey Jaw (2011)
  • Collie Ryan - Indian Harvest (1973)
  • Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo (2004); Rejoicing in the Hands (2004)
  • Itasca - Unmoored by the Wind (2014)
  • Jesse Sykes - Reckless Burning (2002); Oh, My Girl (2004)
  • Robyn Hitchcock - Black Snake Diamond Role (1981); Eye (1990)
  • Scout Niblett - This Fool Can Die Now (2007); It's Up to Emma (2013)
  • Six Organs of Admittance - Dark Noontide (2002); School of the Flower (2005)
  • Smoke Fairies - Through Low Light and Trees (2010); Blood Speaks (2012)
  • Woods - How to Survive In / In the Woods (2005); Bend Beyond (2012)
  • Weyes Blood - The Innocents (2014)

Modern Folk (Female-led)
  • Alela Diane - The Pirate's Gospel (2004); To Be Still (2009)
  • Ani DiFranco - Ani DiFranco (1989); Out of Range (1994); Imperfectly (1992)
  • Angel Olsen - Half Way Home (2012); Burn Your Fire for No Witness (2014)
  • Broken Twin - May (2014)
  • Diane Cluck - Boneset (2014); Monarcana (2007)
  • Emily Jane White - Dark Undercoat (2007); Victorian America (2009)
  • Emily Wells - Beautiful Sleepyhead and the Laughing Yaks (2006)
  • First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar (2012); Stay Gold (2014)
  • Jana Hunter - Blank Unstaring Heirs of Doom (2005); There's No Home (2007)
  • Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006); The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004)
  • Juana Molina - Tres cosas (2004); Un Dia (2008)
  • Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle (2013); Alas I Cannot Swim (2008)
  • Mariee Sioux - Faces in the Rocks (2007); A Bundled Bundle of Bundles (2006)
  • Marissa Nadler - Ballads of Living and Dying (2004); The Saga of Mayflower May (2005)
  • Mirah - Advisory Committee (2002); C'mon Miracle (2004)
  • Nataline Merchant - Tigerlily (1995); Ophelia (1998); Motherland (2001)
  • Ruby Throat - The Ventriloquist (2007); O' Doubt O' Stars (2012)
  • Sharon Van Etten - Epic (2010); Tramp (2012)
  • Serafina Steer - The Moths are Real (2013)
  • Waxahatchee - American Weekend (2012); Cerulean Salt (2013)

Modern Folk (Male-led)
  • Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man (2006); Can't Maintain (2009)
  • Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago; Bon Iver, Bon Iver
  • Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour / Golden Mile (2012)
  • Daughn Gibson - All Hell (2012)
  • I Am Oak - On Claws (2010); Nowhere or Tammensaari (2012)
  • Keaton Henson - Dear (2011); Romantic Works (2014)
  • Kevin Morby - Still Life (2014); Harlem River (2013)
  • Low Roar - 0 (2014)
  • M. Ward - Transfiguration of Vincent (2003); Post-War (2006)
  • Mark Eitzel - Lover's Leap USA (1997); Don't Be a Stranger (2012)
  • Mutual Benefit - Spider Heaven (2010); Love's Crushing Diamond (2013)
  • Songs: Ohia - The Lioness (2000); Didn't It Rain (2012)
  • Strand of Oaks - Pope Kildragon (2010); Heal (2014)
  • Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway (2003); April (2008)
  • Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On (2011); Hot Dreams (2014)
  • Volcano Choir - Repave (2013)
  • Will Oldham a.k.a. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See a Darkness (1999); Joya (1997)
  • Wooden Wand - Harem of the Sundrum & the Witness Figg (2005)

...I'm sure you're familiar with many of these, but how can one give a good thorough recommendation without making sure?

Fjordson

Recommendations include artist names followed by their best albums in my opinion

Under Appreciated Classics
  • Al Stewart - Year of the Cat (1976); Modern Times (1975); Past, Present & Future (1973)
  • Exuma - Exuma (1970); Exuma II (1970)
  • John Martyn - Solid Air (1973); Bless the Weather (1971)
  • Loudain Wainwright III - Attempted Mustache (1973); More Love Songs (1986)
  • Mark Hollis - Mark Hollis (1998)
  • Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (1970)

Psychedelic Folk
  • Amen Dunes - Love (2014); Through Donkey Jaw (2011)
  • Collie Ryan - Indian Harvest (1973)
  • Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo (2004); Rejoicing in the Hands (2004)
  • Itasca - Unmoored by the Wind (2014)
  • Jesse Sykes - Reckless Burning (2002); Oh, My Girl (2004)
  • Robyn Hitchcock - Black Snake Diamond Role (1981); Eye (1990)
  • Scout Niblett - This Fool Can Die Now (2007); It's Up to Emma (2013)
  • Six Organs of Admittance - Dark Noontide (2002); School of the Flower (2005)
  • Smoke Fairies - Through Low Light and Trees (2010); Blood Speaks (2012)
  • Woods - How to Survive In / In the Woods (2005); Bend Beyond (2012)
  • Weyes Blood - The Innocents (2014)

Modern Folk (Female-led)
  • Alela Diane - The Pirate's Gospel (2004); To Be Still (2009)
  • Ani DiFranco - Ani DiFranco (1989); Out of Range (1994); Imperfectly (1992)
  • Angel Olsen - Half Way Home (2012); Burn Your Fire for No Witness (2014)
  • Broken Twin - May (2014)
  • Diane Cluck - Boneset (2014); Monarcana (2007)
  • Emily Jane White - Dark Undercoat (2007); Victorian America (2009)
  • Emily Wells - Beautiful Sleepyhead and the Laughing Yaks (2006)
  • First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar (2012); Stay Gold (2014)
  • Jana Hunter - Blank Unstaring Heirs of Doom (2005); There's No Home (2007)
  • Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006); The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004)
  • Juana Molina - Tres cosas (2004); Un Dia (2008)
  • Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle (2013); Alas I Cannot Swim (2008)
  • Mariee Sioux - Faces in the Rocks (2007); A Bundled Bundle of Bundles (2006)
  • Marissa Nadler - Ballads of Living and Dying (2004); The Saga of Mayflower May (2005)
  • Mirah - Advisory Committee (2002); C'mon Miracle (2004)
  • Nataline Merchant - Tigerlily (1995); Ophelia (1998); Motherland (2001)
  • Ruby Throat - The Ventriloquist (2007); O' Doubt O' Stars (2012)
  • Sharon Van Etten - Epic (2010); Tramp (2012)
  • Serafina Steer - The Moths are Real (2013)
  • Waxahatchee - American Weekend (2012); Cerulean Salt (2013)

Modern Folk (Male-led)
  • Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man (2006); Can't Maintain (2009)
  • Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago; Bon Iver, Bon Iver
  • Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour / Golden Mile (2004)
  • Daughn Gibson - All Hell (2012)
  • I Am Oak - On Claws (2010); Nowhere or Tammensaari (2012)
  • Keaton Henson - Dear (2011); Romantic Works (2014)
  • Kevin Morby - Still Life (2014); Harlem River (2013)
  • Low Roar - 0 (2014)
  • M. Ward - Transfiguration of Vincent (2003); Post-War (2006)
  • Mark Eitzel - Lover's Leap USA (1997); Don't Be a Stranger (2012)
  • Mutual Benefit - Spider Heaven (2010); Love's Crushing Diamond (2013)
  • Songs: Ohia - The Lioness (2000); Didn't It Rain (2012)
  • Strand of Oaks - Pope Kildragon (2010); Heal (2014)
  • Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway (2003); April (2008)
  • Timber Timbre - Creep On Creepin' On (2011); Hot Dreams (2014)
  • Volcano Choir - Repave (2013)
  • Will Oldham a.k.a. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - I See a Darkness (1999); Joya (1997)
  • Wooden Wand - Harem of the Sundrum & the Witness Figg (2005)

...I'm sure you're familiar with many of these, but how can one give a good thorough recommendation without making sure?
Ooh, thanks man. Haven't heard some of these, will check them out.

faridmon

Menace Beach's album is indeed out on Amazon and Itunes (19th of January) I don't know why you guys are keep saying that its only out in leaks...

Also, Last time I went to London for a gig I spent £200, yeah, sadly I am not going to see Girl Band but will do once they do a full tour. I really do think they will ship a debut this year.

My gig schedule for next month and the month after that is packed anyway. I am really excited (except for The Cribs: Fuck them for making their gig sell out)

Upcoming Events

Friday 6 February 2015
King Charles
The Institute
Birmingham,

Wednesday 11 February 2015
Kate Tempest, Loyle Carner
The Rainbow
Birmingham

Friday 20 February 2015
Man Without Country, Field Harmonics, Chartreuse
The Rainbow
Birmingham,

Thursday 26 February 2015
Death from Above 1979, Turbowolf
The Institute
Birmingham,

Saturday 7 March 2015
Jaws, Happyness, Spring King, Cold Ocean Lies
The Institute
Birmingham,

Wednesday 18 March 2015
Echo Lake (Era LP Launch Show)
Echo Lake
Hare and Hounds
Birmingham,

Tuesday 31 March 2015
Wolf Alice
The Library at The Institute
Birmingham,

Linius

I don't live in the UK m8. Menace beach comes out the 28th here.

What's up with that folk post missing Fleet Foxes? Or is that not considered folk?

Interpol was great!

Pacbois

Yeah so count me out of the Viet Cong hypetrain. 1st part of the album was annoying, got way better towards the end but still meh.

On the other hand really digging the Menace Beach album. Great alt/90's sound with a nice touch of Shoegaze. Exactly what I like. Reminds me of Speedy Ortiz a lot, btw, they will release their second LP this year.

Still have a couple of weeks to wait for my first gig of the year, but it's going to be a good one. I'm seeing The Divine Comedy, with an orchestra, at the new Paris Philarmony. To give you an idea, the room looks like this.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Figured I should see what all the Viet Cong talk was about. Listened to a few tracks, literally cannot understand why this band even exists. They bring nothing to the table other than, "hey here are some bands we idolize and want to sound like."

Linius

Figured I should see what all the Viet Cong talk was about. Listened to a few tracks, literally cannot understand why this band even exists. They bring nothing to the table other than, "hey here are some bands we idolize and want to sound like."

Talking of speaking in hyperboles :lol

Linius

You can't like every band/album. But when a record raises so much critical acclaim from a variety of good blogs it's a bit hyperbolic to "literally" being unable to understand why they even exist. They must be doing something right innit. Sometimes people just feel the need to exaggerate when they don't like something, as if it's the worst thing they've ever heard.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It wasn't hyperbole for me, personally; I genuinely don't get why these guys thought they needed to start this band. I also didn't say they were bad or untalented (save that for people like Tuneyards), only that their music serves no purpose and adds absolutely nothing to the landscape -- and yes, that could apply to many other bands, both now and in the past.

One example that actually bugs me recently is "Uptown Funk," which is crazy fun and infectious, but it's so blatantly wearing influences on its sleeve that I sometimes feel faint guilt at enjoying the song so much. At the very least, I just hope people feel compelled to hit the back catalogs to check out why all this new stuff sounds the way it does.

faridmon

It wasn't hyperbole for me, personally; I genuinely don't get why these guys thought they needed to start this band. I also didn't say they were bad or untalented (save that for people like Tuneyards), only that their music serves no purpose and adds absolutely nothing to the landscape -- and yes, that could apply to many other bands, both now and in the past.

One example that actually bugs me recently is "Uptown Funk," which is crazy fun and infectious, but it's so blatantly wearing influences on its sleeve that I sometimes feel faint guilt at enjoying the song so much. At the very least, I just hope people feel compelled to hit the back catalogs to check out why all this new stuff sounds the way it does.

OK, that shit won't fly.

I am Livid now.

Top Bottom