• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

big ander

wow I didn't realize Tune-yards was such an either/or band haha. I've only heard whokill and bird brains once each and I didn't like them but I didn't feel strongly about either the other way.
i don't think viet cong are as bad as say, yuck when it comes to egregious copying of aesthetics

heh probably true. I like Yuck better though; with the first album at least they pulled off an amalgamation of 90s styles in a catchy, irresistible way that pushes the style-copping to the background. The songs became just good songs, not homages. revivalism done right, I thought. Where Viet Cong's record doesn't make me glad that they're blending familiar elements, it only makes me want to return to those sources.

I hope the Yuck guy's Hebronix project releases a new record this year, I know he's recording. Unreal's a good record.

Steamlord

It seems weird to me that there's so much debate over Viet Cong. I enjoy them for what they are but they're really not remarkable enough to be a point of contention. They're definitely derivative, and they're definitely not Women, but they're pretty inoffensive.

faridmon

Tuneyards really is quite atrocious, like offensive to my ears.

Her new album was fucking fantastic. I am wondering about us human kind having different property of aural experiences, because her music is really infectious and can be groovy at times.

wow I didn't realize Tune-yards was such an either/or band haha. I've only heard whokill and bird brains once each and I didn't like them but I didn't feel strongly about either the other way.

Her new album is really good and way better than her previous albums. Nikki Nack, kind of merge the experimental kind of her Freak-Folk attitude with some mainstream Pop and R 'n B sensibilities. She is kind of powerful in a weird way and her playful lyrics is just great to listen.

Also Water Fountain is also one of the best tracks of the year for sure. The video is terrible though.

Pacbois

Don't really like Viet Cong but I like Tune-Yards.

I'M CONFLICTED GUYS HELP ME

(also, caught up on Alvvays' LP, it's really good)

faridmon

Notice that I am the only one who haven't chosen A side to this Viet Cong war we are having.
I haven't listened to their album yet

faridmon

Yeah, her aesthetics and antics leaves a lot to be desired, Too twee and weird for my liking, but her music is fantastic. I guess, she does rub people the wrong way, but I find her absolutely catchy and downright fun and addictive. Guess I just have grown used to her weird rhythm and fizz.

I have read that she is great live, too bad her shows have been selling out constantly, hopefully I see her next time she tours around here.

And I repeat, Water Fountain is just a mesmerising tune of a track.

Linius

Listening to the Menace Beach record for the third time now. Easy on the ears but kind of addictive. Great little record.

EDIT

Stream Death Cab's new single Black Sun here -> http://diymag.com/2015/01/26/death-cab-for-cutie-stream-black-sun-the-first-track-from-kintsugi

And Brit Gaf, End of the Road is looking pretty fucking great so far.

B7HqILm.jpg

K.Sabot

Sauna is incredible, on my 3rd listen and I think I'm gonna need better headphones to truly experience the textures of the album. Some of the mids get blown out with my current pair.

faridmon

I am glad to see Ultimate Painting is making their way to big festivals. Met those guys couple of times and they are super cool, chill people.

Linius

Yeah, was surprised to see them on there. We caught a couple of songs at the windmill I remember and they sounded quite good. Would love to see them at a Dutch festival. They'd be a good fit for Best Kept Secret.

faridmon

Yeah, was surprised to see them on there. We caught a couple of songs at the windmill I remember and they sounded quite good. Would love to see them at a Dutch festival. They'd be a good fit for Best Kept Secret.

Yeah, they were there too (I completely forgotten about that), but yeah, they kept coming over and supported a lot of bands (Toy, Peace, Parquet Courts) and I had brief conversation with them few weeks back.

Too bad The Way back Festival is a camping festival, but yeah that line-up is good.

I am thinking of actually coming to The Best Keep Secret this year. Lets see how things go.

Linius

Yeah, they were there too (I completely forgotten about that), but yeah, they kept coming over and supported a lot of bands (Toy, Peace, Parquet Courts) and I had brief conversation with them few weeks back.

Too bad The Way back Festival is a camping festival, but yeah that line-up is good.

I am thinking of actually coming to The Best Keep Secret this year. Lets see how things go.

I expect the first names for Best Kept Secret to come this week. They finally wiped out the 2014 website today (or yesterday?) and they already teased a 'coming soon' last week. So it should be happening. I'm probably going alone this year unless something unexpected happens so I was about to go camping. But if you wanna go let me know. I don't suppose it's a good idea to go camping innit :p

faridmon

I expect the first names for Best Kept Secret to come this week. They finally wiped out the 2014 website today (or yesterday?) and they already teased a 'coming soon' last week. So it should be happening. I'm probably going alone this year unless something unexpected happens so I was about to go camping. But if you wanna go let me know. I don't suppose it's a good idea to go camping innit :p

Yeah, camping is difficult for me, but I might take the chance and see how it goes.

I am also refreshing the Great Escape Festival Website, but they haven't released any news on their line-up. Its their 10th Anniversary and last years Line-up was absolutely great.

Can't wait to see what they are cooking this year.

faridmon

New place to bury strangers leaked. Pretty good. Second half is nuts.

FUCK yeah. I was worried about it since the last 2 singles have been soft as hell. Good to see it amazing. Can't wait until it gets released.

How would you compare it to Worship?

I've seen tune yards, was alright. Not big on her music, but it's okay.

She's got an amazing voice live. really soulful and powerful. Although, I saw them around when the first album came out and have haven't since.

After Bird Brains, their stuff got a little too quirky for my liking. I wish she would stop rapping in so many songs lol

faridmon

She's got an amazing voice live. really soulful and powerful. Although, I saw them around when the first album came out and have haven't since.

After Bird Brains, their stuff got a little too quirky for my liking. I wish she would stop rapping in so many songs lol

She doesn't rap but yeah, she is quirky and that is the way I like it.

thabiz

FUCK yeah. I was worried about it since the last 2 singles have been soft as hell. Good to see it amazing. Can't wait until it gets released.

How would you compare it to Worship?

its similar to worship. it pulls from strange moon ep too. solid record. i liked onwards, but thats much different sounding.

Deeper into Lower Zone is amazing.

faridmon

its similar to worship. it pulls from strange moon ep too. solid record. i liked onwards, but thats much different sounding.

Deeper into Lower Zone is amazing.

Oh man, that is awesome. I loved Strange Moon EP as well (I have it on Vinyl!)
Fucking stoked!

Steamlord

Phil Elverum is pretty much my favorite person. Listening to Sauna now.

And if you ever get a chance to see Mount Eerie live...fucking do it. It's a magical experience.

Linius

Yesss finally going to be able to see Sufjan live.

Still nothing near me ugh

But since he'll be in England early september I suppose that will be part of his European leg of gigs. Hopefully he'll announce the rest soon.

EDIT

k47nVcN.jpg

Every year I get so jelly when I see Beaches Brew announce their line-up. Just like in previous years it's still free entrance. Too bad it's all the way in Italy. Free festivals in this country never have a line-up that looks anything like this :(

faridmon

Still nothing near me ugh

But since he'll be in England early september I suppose that will be part of his European leg of gigs. Hopefully he'll announce the rest soon.

EDIT

k47nVcN.jpg

Every year I get so jelly when I see Beaches Brew announce their line-up. Just like in previous years it's still free entrance. Too bad it's all the way in Italy. Free festivals in this country never have a line-up that looks anything like this :(

We should go! Since its free, they only thing we have to spend money is the plane ticket!
That line-up is crazy good, I have to admit.

Fjordson

Does Twin Shadow belong in here? Not really rock, but his new album is coming March 17. He put out the tracklist today.

I didn't really like the newest song from it, but he had a great song in GTA V that's also on the tracklist so that's cool. Really interested to see where he goes with the record as a whole.

faridmon

Does Twin Shadow belong in here? Not really rock, but his new album is coming March 17. He put out the tracklist today.

Yeah, he most artists and bands belong here :)

To be fair, he have changed his musical style a lot lately and I did not like his later tracks including his new single.

I, for one, am not looking forward to his new album, but I am interested to see how everyone reacts to it.

Fjordson

Yeah, he most artists and bands belong here :)

To be fair, he have changed his musical style a lot lately and I did not like his later tracks including his new single.

I, for one, am not looking forward to his new album, but I am interested to see how everyone reacts to it.
Yeah, I definitely have some reservations, but that GTA V track gives me a glimmer of hope.

Loving the Viet Cong album. It's so oppressive and it feels like it's constantly falling apart around me. Wasn't the biggest fan of the vocals to begin with but they are growing on me and as much as I love Public Strain I'm glad they went for a different sound overall.

Bunker Buster is my standout track so far as I had heard Continental Shelf before the album came out.

faridmon

The Great Escape have announced its first batch of Line-up with ... Alabama Shakes headlining it

What a shitty line-up so far!

Out of those 10000 bands I am interested in Girl Band, Menace Beach, Popstrangers, Passepeid, Gengahr, Monica Heldal, Moumoun, Turbowolf and Meat Wave

Thats is not enough, hope they announce more interesting bands along the line, especially international bands.

Linius

The thing with The Great Escape is that it's showcase festival. So at this moment I hardly know a name on that poster. But a year from now there's probably at least ten interesting bands in there.

faridmon

I know its a Showcase festival, however, for the past 2 years or so, they had way more interested bands (even before they were known) and more recognisable international bands.

So far I see only one Norwegian act where in the past there were at least 6-7 bands from there, Like wise from Japan. Getting Passepied is great (they are great little Post-pop band with a lot of innovative hooks in their music) but they aren't [CHAMPAIGN] big. Moumoun is a bloody Jpop Idol based group!!!
Even the ones I know (Admiral Fellow, Dutch Uncles, Slaves, Django Django) are quite underwhelming and I have no interest in seeing them. Not to mention the headliner.....

That is why I am waiting for a further announcement before I bite the bullet (you can't beat £50 for a 3 day festival)

Linius

Yeah, for the price it's a great festival. In The Netherlands who have Eurosonic which you can compare to this. But that's 70 euros iirc. SXSW remains the mother of all showcase festivals though.

What I'm interested in on that poster: Alabama Shakes (really liked their live show last time), Django Django, Girl Band, Happyness, Menace Beach and Thurston Moore (!!).

The Bohicas are kinda fun too. But there's a lot I've never heard of so there's probably more of my liking. It's always interesting to see a year from now how many of those bands 'made it' big.

HiResDes

Menace Beach reminds me of The Pixies, but with whiny vocals... Feeling it. Pinkshinyultrablast is probably my favorite besides the new Phony Ppl this year.

chris121580

Loving the Viet Cong album. It's so oppressive and it feels like it's constantly falling apart around me. Wasn't the biggest fan of the vocals to begin with but they are growing on me and as much as I love Public Strain I'm glad they went for a different sound overall.

Bunker Buster is my standout track so far as I had heard Continental Shelf before the album came out.

The hook in Continental Shelf is so awesome and comes completely out of nowhere. I love it

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I've read/heard the worst stuff about this dude's behavior on tour that it's enough to kill any interest I ever had about listening to his music. Sounds like he's almost as bad a creep as that misogynistic fuckwit from the Weeknd.

Fjordson

I've read/heard the worst stuff about this dude's behavior on tour that it's enough to kill any interest I ever had about listening to his music. Sounds like he's almost as bad a creep as that misogynistic fuckwit from the Weeknd.
Oh damn, that's a shame =[ I quite enjoy his first two albums.

faridmon

Streaming the debut EP of St. Tropez. Its out there on their sound cloud and its fucking amazing. Full speed Rock n Roll punk of the 70s meet impeccable production and some pedal effects.

Can't wait to acquire the EP for myself.

Top Bottom