• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Linius

Headliners are usually not their strongsuit. I think it has to do with budgeting and with the things Scorpio is working with. The first year they definitely had more money to set up a strong name with acts as Arctic Monkeys and Sigur Ros headlining. Last year they came up with stuff like Franz Ferdinand and the Pixies. This year their headliners seem to be very UK minded. And they got the UK travel deals once again. Coaches are leaving from Manchester, London, Birmingham and a couple of other places. I bet a lot of people will make the trip for these headliners.

Guess I'm lucky for at least loving The Libertines. I can't count the amount of times I've listened to their two LP's. They were here last year for 50 euros. That was a bit much, but having the chance to see them at a festival is more than welcome. But hey, with stuff like The Jesus and Mary Chain, Death Cab, Jonny Greenwood, Future Islands and Mew right under there I'm not gonna complain too much. Not to mention the amount of fun bands all the way down at the poster.

Last year they added The War on Drugs and Slowdive in pretty much the last group of names so I would also say there's a decent chance at more interesting bigger names.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see Mew fans on neogaf. Been following them for years now. I help out with their fansite MewX by running it's tumblr page.

Fantastic live band and just great music in general. 'And The Glass Handed Kites' is my favourite album of all time and I'm highly anticipating their new record. The full version of Satellites is great.

Can't wait to see them again at Green Man in Wales this year.

faridmon

I don't know if anyone is familiar with Johan Angergård, a talented multi-instrumentalist who are behind so many projects such as Club 8, Acid House Kings and Pellars amongst others, have started yet another side project and its called Eternal Death.

https://soundcloud.com/labrador-records/eternal-death-violence-2/s-JnEfm

Its a darker version of Club 8 with a lot of influence of modern synth acts like Purity Ring. It has a tang of gothicism as it appears to be using a lot of echo in the vocals.

And I am loving it. The album is supposed to come out this summer, can't wait for it!

BoerBert

5YWO9ZE.png

My go to summer festival for the past two years announced the first names this morning. Very happy to see Death Cab, The Libertines, The Jesus & Mary Chain and Mew up there. And a ton of other good stuff. Also interested in seeing Jonny Greenwood perform his film scores.

Really excited about Jonny Greenwood. Love his solo stuff.

I can't tell you how happy I am to see Mew fans on neogaf. Been following them for years now. I help out with their fansite MewX by running it's tumblr page.

Fantastic live band and just great music in general. 'And The Glass Handed Kites' is my favourite album of all time and I'm highly anticipating their new record. The full version of Satellites is great.

Probably my favorite band. Have seen them twice. Sad they haven't announced any shows in CA but I know they are coming

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Man, Laura Groves' "Dream Story" is about the most perfect '70s pop homage I've heard in a while; hoping the EP lives up to the single. Her previous release is pretty solid, if slightly less remarkable.

big ander

Man, Laura Groves' "Dream Story" is about the most perfect '70s pop homage I've heard in a while; hoping the EP lives up to the single. Her previous release is pretty solid, if slightly less remarkable.

This was one of those songs I didn't love when I first heard it, but it's been stuck somewhere in my head for about two weeks now so it has to be doing something right.

faridmon

Man, the debut album from All We Are is getting praise from everywhere including couple of album of the week. I should get on and get it!

Pacbois

All We Are are opening for Alvvays in Paris this month. Not sure if I'm going yet but it seems like a really solid night.

faridmon

It's pretty solid. Great album to play while driving around the city late at night

Good to hear. I am gonna get it once i get a bit more more money in.

Speaking of money and spending, just bought tickets to King Charles, A place to Bury Strangers, A Man Without Country and JAWS gigs. The only gig left for me to buy, that will likely to sell out is Wolf Alice, but hopefully I buy it later this month before it sells out.

There is also Purity Ring but I am not sure if I am willing to shell out £16 for them. Not that really into them, even thought their last couple of tracks seemed nice.

All We Are are opening for Alvvays in Paris this month. Not sure if I'm going yet but it seems like a really solid night.

Oh, man that sounds legit as hell. You should go.

Sobriquet

wow they old!

though I guess they have been around for a long time.

My fav would probably be "There's Nothing Wrong With Love." "You In Reverse" was awesome and I didn't really listen to "There Is No Enemy" too much.

Not a big fan of "There is No Enemy." I love "There's Nothing Wrong With Love" and "You In Reverse." "Keep it Like a Secret" is the GOAT though.

AFAIK they were a big influence on Modest Mouse, so yeah, they've been around. First time I saw them was in '99 and they looked pretty old then lol.

Linius

Yeah these guys are great. Kind of strange they never got bigger. Happy to finally see them live this summer.

Awesome news. Would be even better if they can tour Europe again. But that doesn't happen often sadly.

Man, the debut album from All We Are is getting praise from everywhere including couple of album of the week. I should get on and get it!

This band popped up on my Twitter timeline quite a few times over the past week. Gotta check it out.

Fjordson

I've been listening to Cake all morning for some reason.

I feel like a common opinion on these guys is that it's corny/smug throwaway music, but I loved them in college :lol

faridmon

Title Fight put out a hell of an album that sadly isn't getting much attention. I've posted some songs below...they've changed their sound some...almost like a darker Real Estate with some yelling every once in awhile...very guitar driven music

Well, the website i visit regularly gave their album quite meddling reviews so I never bothered to go farther, but I'll check it out even though I am kind of burned out of Real Estate kind of music since I have listened to them last year .... alot.

Linius

Well that blows. TV On the Radio had to cancel their European leg of the tour due to an injury from the drummer. And they're not going to reschedule either so I'll just get my money back. Hoping they come over for the festival season in the summer then. My gig schedule is shaping up nicely though, just got ticks to Ought.

23-01 // Interpol // Heinken Music Hall (Amsterdam)
25-02 // Alex G // Paradiso (Amsterdam)
08-03 // Meatbodies // Bitterzoet (Amsterdam
19-03 // Sleater-Kinney // Paradiso (Amsterdam)
30-04 // Godspeed You! Black Emperor // Paradiso (Amsterdam)
23-05 // Le Guess Who? May Day // Various venues (Utrecht)
26-05 // Ride // Paradiso (Amsterdam)
30-05 // The Replacements // Paradiso (Amsterdam)
01-06 // Ought // Bitterzoet (Amsterdam)
19/20/21-06 // Best Kept Secret // Tilburg
13-09 // U2 // Ziggo Dome (Amsterdam)

Another year with some great reunion bands.

Also, I streamed that Trust Fund album. Sounds really great!

faridmon

Just came back from King Charles gig. It was alright, definitely a step down from his previous gigs when he started out his career. The show was sold out and you could tell that all of them knew the artist well enough to actually sing aloud with his old tracks.

The thing I have realised is that, I can definitely say that his new material is utter rubbish. and I mean absolutely trash. Generic, boring and really uncreative romantic songs which is pity because, despite his first album being targeted at the female demography, they were brilliantly written and were creative with so many styles and genres compressed into his own flair. The new tracks I have heard tonight were nothing like that.

Luckily he played a lot of his old songs and man, were they still as good as they were before. So many catchy and upbeat melodies with great vocal works.

Pity, Because I got excited when he said that he finished recording an album, too bad it looks like its gonna suck so bad.

Linius

Really addicted to the Father John Misty album lately.

EDIT

I just looked into off topic community at random, never noticed this thread was in there. No wonder we hardly see 'newcomers' here. I wonder why this thread is in there, it's not even that active. And we're basically not much of a community.

HiResDes

Not feeling the new Pop Group or A Place to Bury Strangers, but I just started listening to Ivy Tripp and I'm liking it a lot so far.

faridmon

Really addicted to the Father John Misty album lately.

EDIT

I just looked into off topic community at random, never noticed this thread was in there. No wonder we hardly see 'newcomers' here. I wonder why this thread is in there, it's not even that active. And we're basically not much of a community.

Yeah, I was hoping it to be in The Off-Topic so it would create a lot of traction. I still think there are more people who listen to Alt/indie music who don't know about this threads existence. I would love to build a community around this thread as there are albums and tracks coming out everyday and it would be interesting to have meaningful conversation about various tastes and whatnot.

Pity really!

chris121580

I hadn't had a chance to listen to the new Father John Misty album until today. Damn, it is so incredibly good. When You're Smiling and Astride Me sounds like a long lost Hall & Oates song. The whole album rules

faridmon

Waxhatachee adds dates to prolong her UK tour

ME: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

11 Bristol, The Fleece
12 Manchester, Ruby Lounge
13 Dublin, Button Factory
14 Belfast, McHughs
15 Glasgow, Stereo
16 Newcastle, The Cluny
17 Leeds, Brudenell Social Club
18 Sheffield, The Harley
19 Southampton, Joiners Arms
20 Brighton, Bleach

ME: WTF? You go to Shitholes like Southampton and Newcastle and there is no plans to Birmingham which is the 2nd biggest city in UK.

Who the fuck books these tours? do they have common sense?

Linius

Sorry to inform you that you're one of ten people in Birmingham with decent taste in music. Please book a train to a nearby city to see your favourite bands.

faridmon

Sorry to inform you that you're one of ten people in Birmingham with decent taste in music. Please book a train to a nearby city to see your favourite bands.

Last time I did that (Liars, London) I lost an arm and leg.

I am not doing that again.

Waxahatachee, your loss!

big ander

oh man, I didn't even remember a colleen green album was coming out this month, so the first surprise this morning was being reminded about it as it dripped and the second was finding out that it's great. Looks like it's being built up as cleaner than Sock it to Me-- it's really not that much different sonically, still drum-machines and catchy bass lines and fuzzy guitars. But hte tweaks and backing players facilitate her growth as a songwriter more. she's still working in an awesome mix of chilly post-punk pop and baked slacker garage rock, only now instead of hte lyrics reflecting that laziness and being just straight up about liking guys and smoking weed and wanting a cushy taxi driver job, they're about wanting to grow up and act adult. which is a subject that normally goes totally awry for acts like this but Green pulls it off largely because the songs are still fun as hell. Think I really love this record.

the quarterbacks album's fun too. It would overstay its welcome if it were even 5 minutes longer, but at about a song a minute for just over 20 minutes it's ideal. the energy of the songs in these non-demo version is much more urgent, playing up the punk side of twee-punk in that way makes it a lot more exciting.

And Trust Fund's record is good. maybe not as catchy as I was hoping for, not as instrumentally interesting. But close. "January" is great

The waxahatchee really did not work for me on first go. at least half the songs kinda floated by, no indelible hook or intriguing musical idea. And then the rest were okay to pretty good: I like "La Loose", the 3 songs before the closer were a decent run. But even when Cerulean Salt felt less resonant than American WEekend, I could tell it was a pretty good album. not sure Ivy Tripp is even that

Fjordson

oh man, I didn't even remember a colleen green album was coming out this month, so the first surprise this morning was being reminded about it as it dripped and the second was finding out that it's great. Looks like it's being built up as cleaner than Sock it to Me-- it's really not that much different sonically, still drum-machines and catchy bass lines and fuzzy guitars. But hte tweaks and backing players facilitate her growth as a songwriter more. she's still working in an awesome mix of chilly post-punk pop and baked slacker garage rock, only now instead of hte lyrics reflecting that laziness and being just straight up about liking guys and smoking weed and wanting a cushy taxi driver job, they're about wanting to grow up and act adult. which is a subject that normally goes totally awry for acts like this but Green pulls it off largely because the songs are still fun as hell. Think I really love this record.
I'm listening to her for the first time since I liked your description. She's great! Listening to Sock it to Me. Can't wait to hear the new one!

edit: jeez, she's really good. This kinda music is right up my alley. Not sure how I've never heard of her.

Threads like these really remind me of how bad I am at catching new music :lol

big ander

I'm listening to her for the first time since I liked your description. She's great! Listening to Sock it to Me. Can't wait to hear the new one!

edit: jeez, she's really good. This kinda music is right up my alley. Not sure how I've never heard of her.

Threads like these really remind me of how bad I am at catching new music :lol

She's the best. Sock It To Me is so replayable. Her first album Milo Goes to Compton is pretty good too though not as essential as the title track from the Green One EP (possibly her best pop song). Cujo EP's fun too.

oh man I forgot about Colleen Green's new one, gonna give it a listen soon. Sock it to Me is great, was the only tape in my car for a long time

Top Bottom