• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

I'm excited for this album.

Best Coast is simple and safe but I like Bethany as a singer. Fun live also. I actually agree about the vocals, though. I miss the rougher production from their early singles/EP's.
Yeah, I saw them headline a fest back in August and it was super fun. As for the vox, I actually like the last two albums but I think the super clean production works against it here
Ugh, just get Pocahaunted back together

hm, did not know of this as a thing. gonna have to check it out

Danielsan

Not sure if it belongs in this thread, but Kristian Mattson released the first single of his new The Tallest Man On Earth album yesterday and I'm really digging it:

The Tallest Man On Earth - Sangres

Kind of bummed that he won't be playing any indoor venues in The Netherlands this year. His performance in Paradiso (Amsterdam) is still one of my favourite concert experiences.

big ander

Was the new Yumi Zouma track ever posted?
Song For Zoe & Gwen

Pretty wonderful. EP II out March 10.

the EP's dripped too for anyone eager for it.

I think it's pretty good, but their first EP really stuck with me as its apparent simplicity eventually morphed into just solid catchy dream pop melodies and hooks. This one is more outwardly dancey and festival ready, nearing later Washed Out or Neon Indian-esque chillwave territory at times. I liked them playing a bit more coy on the first ep.

Steamlord

New Yumi Zouma is nice I guess, but I feel like their appeal will decrease pretty quickly. This one doesn't really have the same chill nostalgic vibe as the first EP. That first EP is magical.

big ander

alex and the gs are a good time live yeah. didn't realize girlpool were with them! I've just been getting into girlpool this month and they're awesome.

Futureman

Joyce Manor seems to be getting pretty popular.

I love all three of their full lengths but after many listens I think their 2nd is still the best.

"Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired"

joyce__54030_zoom.jpg

Joyce Manor seems to be getting pretty popular.

I love all three of their full lengths but after many listens I think their 2nd is still the best.

"Of All Things I Will Soon Grow Tired"

joyce__54030_zoom.jpg

I like Joyce quite a bit. Saw em like two weeks ago, on V-Day and they were great. Upset and The Garden opened, and The Garden is KILLER live. So insane.

I don't rank their albums that differently but I think the first one has most of my favorite songs on it, so i gotta give it to that one

Linius

30e582aaacab8937fbebec62ae13e39b.jpg

London Gaf, I need to crash on your couch.

The Strokes will never come to The Netherlands, it's been since 2006 now
D5Jy4CR.png
D5Jy4CR.png
D5Jy4CR.png

That Colleen Green record is pretty addictive.

Agreed. I liked "Sock it to Me", but it wasn't as raw as Milo or Cujo. This album is both more polished and rocks a bit more, and I'm glad she didn't use a human drummer on every track, "Deeper than Love" works better with the drum machine.

If you haven't already, check out Jeff the Brotherhoods cover of her song "Cujo", it's pretty great.

Fjordson

I love the new Colleen Green album.

I think my favourite track is Deeper Than Love. Interesting how dark it is compared to some of her other songs.

Steamlord

Deeper Than Love works really well as a sort of focal point for the album. I think Grind My Teeth is my favorite track though just because it's so fun, while still being thematically relevant.

Fjordson

Y'all hear the new Noel Gallagher album?

Not really a fan....I loved Oasis, but everything Liam and Noel have done post-split has been underwhelming to me.

amnesiac

The new My Morning Jacket song is pretty good... Evil Urges was disappointing but I really liked Circuital so I'm hopeful for this one.

big ander

I'm waiting on the full album at this point. I already replay the tiny desk audio a bunch just to hear Depreston (her best song so far), gonna save the album version. rely on the double EP and Pedestrian at Best until then.

chris121580

I strongly recommend checking out the new album from Buxton called Half a Native. It's basically the album I've been hoping My Morning Jacket would make after Z. Absolutely fantastic. Sadly these guys are so unknown that it's hard to find their songs to link to. The whole album is up on Spotify and it's one of the best things I've heard so far this year

AMG review:

Houston five-piece Buxton deepen their sojourn into experimental pop pastures on their expansive fourth LP, Half a Native. The group's journey began a decade prior when principal songwriter Sergio Trevino teamed up with multi-instrumentalist Jason Willis and bassist Chris Wise to record their folk-inspired debut, Red Follows Red, in 2005. With each subsequent release, Buxton expanded both musically and in terms of personnel, adding drummer Justin Terrell in 2009 and guitar/keyboard player Austin Sepulvado a year later. By the time they signed to esteemed indie New West Records to release 2012's Nothing Here Seems Strange, they had evolved from a fairly straightforward roots act into more adventurous indie pop purveyors with banjos who still bore some residual Texas twang. While their New West debut was a somewhat wiley affair that pitted Trevino's thoughtful songwriting against mildly chaotic noise bursts and sonic chatter, Half a Native is a far more understated set that leaves some welcome space between the gaps. Working with an outside producer for the first time, Buxton left their home state to record in Los Angeles with Thom Monahan (Devendra Banhart, Vetiver). Whether it's Monahan's influence, the change in location, or a bit of both, Half a Native has a gently melancholic, sun-warmed haze that filters throughout the album, helping it to hang together better than anything the band has released up to this point. The spacy, swirling guitars from their previous release are still present, but they now bounce neatly in a controlled environment softly coloring standouts like "What I'd Do," "Pool Hall," and the lovely title track. There's a weary romance to these songs that seem to want to escape down a ribbon of desert highway, and while this is a sound Buxton have sought before, it seems fully realized here on what may be their strongest effort to date.

ash_ag

Y'all hear the new Noel Gallagher album?

Not really a fan....I loved Oasis, but everything Liam and Noel have done post-split has been underwhelming to me.

His first solo was pretty underwhelming aside of a few tracks, but I really dig Chasing Yesterday. It reminds me a lot of Dig Out Your Soul's style and atmosphere, if only a bit more jazz-y. I agree about Liam though. Beady Eye proved who really was more integral to Oasis' music quality.

Fjordson

His first solo was pretty underwhelming aside of a few tracks, but I really dig Chasing Yesterday. It reminds me a lot of Dig Out Your Soul's style and atmosphere, if only a bit more jazz-y. I agree about Liam though. Beady Eye proved who really was more integral to Oasis' music quality.
To me it's the perfect example of a collaboration where both sides really complemented the other. Like I wasn't a huge fan of Beady Eye, but Noel is kinda bland to me without Liam. He was just too great as a singer and frontman.

ash_ag

To me it's the perfect example of a collaboration where both sides really complemented the other. Like I wasn't a huge fan of Beady Eye, but Noel is kinda bland to me without Liam. He was just too great as a singer and frontman.

They were really two sides of the same coin, it's true. I hope that one day they'll make up. One has to wonder how each of them would put their hand on improving the other's songs.

Top Bottom