• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Steamlord

I'm particularly fond of Twins and Slaughterhouse. But really the best approach is to listen to all of it and see what you like.

Linius

Yeah, pretty much all he did is well worth a listen. And indeed, don't forget Slaughterhouse. Also, another side project called Fuzz is great too.

Sobriquet

I hate to break it to you, but they're all good.

Hair, Reverse Shark Attack, Melted, Sleeper, Twins.

All around 4/5s and above for me.

S/t is still my favourite, but yeah, they're all good. The first single comp is really nice too, if you wanna get into it.
Don't overlook Fuzz (Ty side project with Charlie Moothart), they'll probably put out a new record this year. https://t.co/vUy8MYfL1F

Ha, thanks guys. I kinda figured that may be the case. I think I'll just start from the beginning.

Via Tania and the Tomorrow Music Orchestra
is the newest album by alternative artist Via Tania. The album has a very tranquil feel present throughout most of it. The instrumentals are relatively very atmospheric in nature. Via Tania herself sounds decent for the most part. She sounds like a better version of another singer I found called Moria Moore. Majority of the time she is on key, but the occurrences that she isn't, isn't frequent enough to detract from the songs. Overall, I find the album just being slightly over decent. I say give it a listen at least.

5.5/10

Linius

Saw Meatbodies last night. Great stuff, excellent band live.

Loving the new Courtney album by the way. Modest Mouse is decent too.

chris121580

Is it really?

Gonna give it a listen now...I want to love it since I like Twin Shadow, but the singles have me worried.

I really like it. It flows incredibly well together. It's a little more polished than what we're used to from him but I think it's great. I've been listening to it all day

Fjordson

New Yumi Zouma EP is officially out, I grabbed a digital version. I like it a lot. It's really just an extension of the first EP so anyone who was into that will probably be into this second one.

I really like it. It flows incredibly well together. It's a little more polished than what we're used to from him but I think it's great. I've been listening to it all day
So after two listens I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Some pretty nice tracks in here and I actually like the polished sound at times. But some of these songs go too far into that big, arena rock direction for me. Mainly the singles like To The Top and Turn Me Up.

Just not a fan personally of that style, but it's a well made album for sure.

chris121580

So after two listens I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Some pretty nice tracks in here and I actually like the polished sound at times. But some of these songs go too far into that big, arena rock direction for me. Mainly the singles like To The Top and Turn Me Up.

Just not a fan personally of that style, but it's a well made album for sure.
Yeah, it's definitely a change from something like Castles in the Sky/Shooting Holes at the Moon but I figured this was going to be the kind of album he was going to make based on his sound and joining a big name record label. I really love it though and can't wait to see him perform them live

omgkitty

Saw you guys talking about Lower Dens a few weeks back, and I had honestly never heard of them before somehow. Checked out their new album this morning and I really like it. Reminds me a lot of Beach House.

Steamlord

OK wow, Deep in the Iris is pretty much exactly where I was hoping Braids would head next. I wasn't too sure how things would go after Katie Lee left. I enjoyed the minimalist "Perish" tracks on Flourish // Perish, but I also kind of missed the fuller warmer sound of Native Speaker, and the new album is like a perfect synthesis of the two styles. It also helps that Raph is one of my favorite vocalists working today.

thabiz

OK wow, Deep in the Iris is pretty much exactly where I was hoping Braids would head next. I wasn't too sure how things would go after Katie Lee left. I enjoyed the minimalist "Perish" tracks on Flourish // Perish, but I also kind of missed the fuller warmer sound of Native Speaker, and the new album is like a perfect synthesis of the two styles. It also helps that Raph is one of my favorite vocalists working today.

yep. really digging the record.

Steamlord

The new Lady Lamb the Beekeeper is really cool too. It's got her usual folk / baroque pop thing going on, but it's also a lot more rock-oriented than Ripely Pine. Good stuff.

Futureman

The new Lady Lamb the Beekeeper is really cool too. It's got her usual folk / baroque pop thing going on, but it's also a lot more rock-oriented than Ripely Pine. Good stuff.

I've listened to "Billions of Eyes" a dozen or so times. Need to give the rest of the album a shot.

HiResDes

Saw you guys talking about Lower Dens a few weeks back, and I had honestly never heard of them before somehow. Checked out their new album this morning and I really like it. Reminds me a lot of Beach House.
Smh. Listen to their first album and check out Jana Hunter's solo work pls.

I'm still playing the Abbi Press and Laura Groves EPs nonstop.

faridmon

Fuck man, someone called Peace ''A terrible band'' and I am mad as hell.

And now I am re-listening to ''In Love''

Such an amazing album

big ander

Hannibal Buress tweeted for bands at SXSW to let him play drums for them (he doesn't know how to play drums) and Speedy Ortiz agreed. especially amused by the video where Sadie warns him "if you fuck it up we're not gonna get discovered."

Linius

Sleater-Kinney was really good. They played 95 minutes and about everything from the new album was played. And a good mix of older songs.

overcast

Still need to check out that Lower Dens, the Sleater-Kinney and the Sufjan. Damn, falling behind.

It's okay, cause I did listen to Natalie Prass and I'm loving that.

Top Bottom